• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition Announced (PC/XB1)

Sydle

I understand that it's possible to be cynical at first, but trust me, we're putting in a lot more content, more areas, more abilities, more story, more art, better balance, etc. etc. - We have the entirety of Moon Studios working on the DE just to deliver the absolute best experience we could possibly make for you guys. This isn't about small bugs and fixes, it goes far beyond that and we definitely think that old and new Ori fans alike will be happy about the results :)

Loving this.

Can't wait to play it.

Vash63

Any word on Linux support? I'd love to play it on my SteamOS HTPC. It's one of the only Unity engine games I know of with no Linux support, always thought that was odd.

dLMN8R

Well good thing I waited I guess.

Wait, so why is this game considered part of that genre?

Ori is a massive metroidvania. There's just a couple of much smaller areas you can't revisit after beating them for reasons which make sense in the context of the events which take place, but it would still be nice anyway.

Took me ~9 hours to beat my first time through. Can't wait to play the Definitive Edition :-D

Yeah, we are. New Game+, post-final boss exploration, fast travel are all included. We're also making navigating to prior areas more accessible through methods we can't talk about right now. No more "95% complete...but you can't go back what do you think this is a Metroidvania?"

:D

Great to hear!

Caayn

Stop reminding me that I have neglected this game too much :( I promise to put more time into, I really do.

Instro

Ori is a massive metroidvania. There's just a couple of much smaller areas you can't revisit after beating them for reasons which make sense in the context of the events which take place, but it would still be nice anyway.

Took me ~9 hours to beat my first time through. Can't wait to play the Definitive Edition :-D

Ahh ok, that makes more sense to me. Thank you.

def sim

I won't mind purchasing and playing it again if the new content is substantial and current owners get a discounted upgrade path.

I understand that it's possible to be cynical at first, but trust me, we're putting in a lot more content, more areas, more abilities, more story, more art, better balance, etc. etc. - We have the entirety of Moon Studios working on the DE just to deliver the absolute best experience we could possibly make for you guys. This isn't about small bugs and fixes, it goes far beyond that and we definitely think that old and new Ori fans alike will be happy about the results :)

Keep it up guys. Considering how much I loved the original version, I can't wait to see what you guys add.

wouwie

I was planning to do a 3rd playthrough soon'ish but i'll wait until this Definitive Edition is out. I wonder how much new content/playtime there will be.

Ori is an amazing game so it's cool to see a definite edition coming out.

I highly doubt they would charge up to $10 for a slight upgrade when $10 is 50% of the cost for the main game. I expect the upgrade dlc to be free for people who already purchased the game and for the new version of the game to stay at $20.

That would be better, but this is Microsoft we're talking about.

Better balance? You mean the green frogs can't snipe anymore?

Detective

Great game. Finished it more than 3 times . Really looking forward to what you guys will do. Day one for sure.
Great job Thomas And co.

Love you guys :D

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm confused, the other poster said you can't backtrack to previous areas.

IIRC, the game has a handful of "dungeon" areas that are permanently sealed upon exit, but the rest of the world is Metroidesque and can be revisited at will.

I can't wait to hear some details on this. Length, abilities, date, anything. I'm hoping it's out this year too - I would love for people to judge Ori's best version for GOTY this year.

Exentryk

Need to see how much "NEW" content there actually is. If it is just letting you go back to locked areas with one or two new abilities, it's not worth it.
But if it gives you a few NEW areas to explore with NEW abilities, I'll buy the expansion pack. Calling it definitive edition and not expansion pack does cause a bit of confusion for people that already own the original.

I won't mind purchasing and playing it again if the new content is substantial and current owners get a discounted upgrade path.

This.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I'm confused, the other poster said you can't backtrack to previous areas.
That's the main problem with the game, it's a Metroidvania, but some areas are locked when you advance in the game. Worse, it sometimes auto saves, so even if you saved before, to explore one of two paths, the game screws you and locks you from 100% completion.

Still, I sound like I didn't like the game, but let me tell you it's awesome and the controls are incredible. But wait for the definitive version.

Fractal

Banned
Wanted to play this soon, but now, will wait. Also, I hope this stuff I hear about being unable to backtrack to some area gets fixed, may not be a deal breaker, but still, sounds like an annoyance.

ZiggyST

Banned
Any word on Linux support? I'd love to play it on my SteamOS HTPC. It's one of the only Unity engine games I know of with no Linux support, always thought that was odd.

It is published by M$.. so no linux, no mac, no playstation, etc..

Improvements for loading stutters?

Yup, this. If a game is to be perfect or as near perfect as it can be, it must have no stutters whatsoever. The game, while great, was marred by weird performance, with stutters and such. Also, weren't the animations locked at 30 fps? Will that be fixed?

Yes! Loved this game. Comfortable upgrade path per their twitter. Heck yes. I will definitely replay with the DE pending what the upgrade path is exactly :)

BPoole

I never got around to buying this. GTA5, TW3 and KF2 have fept me busy, so I'll give this version a shot once it is out.

Top Bottom