• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

pizzacat

Banned
Just to spitball a discussion -- is everyone happy with ults as they exist in the game right now? they should look at some characters ult gain on a personal level and not roster wide like they did beforeWould you feel that ults being wiped on death would be better or worse?that would bring a bigger snowball game this game already has Would it promote more willingness to swap? noWould it make picks feel more significant than just "we have numbers now, go in"?picks will still be picks

it was fun before 5/6 of the enemy team just runs by you

while some of his bug fixes and tweaks are appreciated in the recent patch I hardly have any sympathy for that since he was so integral to almost any team for the overwhelming majority of the game's lifespan

what a fucking coincidence. the time my internet goes out and then come back is the remaining time in the comp match. i didn't want those sr points anyway. i'm trying to get to bronze.

Just to spitball a discussion -- is everyone happy with ults as they exist in the game right now? Would you feel that ults being wiped on death would be better or worse? Would it promote more willingness to swap? Would it make picks feel more significant than just "we have numbers now, go in"?

Lol, I remember making this suggestion several times long ago and people getting on my case about it.

I think the positives are that it moves the focus to general fps skill rather than blobbing up with Q buttons. Characters like Widow/Hanzo get a big boost because they are less reliant on their ults and the burden of impact is lessened a great deal on them. In TF2, a struggling sniper can justify his slot by body shotting a charged medic. In Overwatch, you basically have to be Jude Law in Enemy at the Gates. Overall, it increases the solo carry potential because you can take out problematic targets on your own and guarantee an impact or if you are a support can leverage your positioning and survival skills to ensure that you actually have your support ult over the other guy. To a certain extent that's what people do now, but the problem is most randos aren't going to be in sync with what you do. You can get multiple pickoffs including the enemy mercy or something only to have it be meaningless as your team waddles around. Or if they go in, it turns out you killed the mercy "too early" and she comes back to the team fight just in time to rez. As a support you can farm your ult fast but have it wasted for similar reasons. Mystery Heroes is actually a decent preview on how it would function. And if you played that mode, you'll quickly realize how hard you can carry if you manage to stay alive and farm an ult when no one else has one.

I don't really think it would make the game snowbally. The nature of risk versus reward in going for a kill at the danger of trading ult charge from counter-kills adds a lot of dynamism to the game. In fact, certain team comps would have to slow down. Tanks like Rein that struggle in farming for ult would have to be more careful since a single death would mean no shatter. Genji diving in would have think about the risk of going in for right clicks dash melee and getting a kill at the cost of getting counter kill and not getting a blade.

The biggest disadvantage is probably going to be a massive increase in toxicity which is already ballooning out of control in Overwatch. It's beyond the point of generic online game stuff. Overwatch butthurt is its very own special brand of salt.

Lol, I remember making this suggestion several times long ago and people getting on my case about it.

I think the positives are that it moves the focus to general fps skill rather than blobbing up with Q buttons. Characters like Widow/Hanzo get a big boost because they are less reliant on their ults and the burden of impact is lessened a great deal on them. In TF2, a struggling sniper can justify his slot by body shotting a charged medic. In Overwatch, you basically have to be Jude Law in Enemy at the Gates. Overall, it increases the solo carry potential because you can take out problematic targets on your own and guarantee an impact or if you are a support can leverage your positioning and survival skills to ensure that you actually have your support ult over the other guy. To a certain extent that's what people do now, but the problem is most randos aren't going to be in sync with what you do. You can get multiple pickoffs including the enemy mercy or something only to have it be meaningless as your team waddles around. Or if they go in, it turns out you killed the mercy "too early" and she comes back to the team fight just in time to rez. As a support you can farm your ult fast but have it wasted for similar reasons. Mystery Heroes is actually a decent preview on how it would function. And if you played that mode, you'll quickly realize how hard you can carry if you manage to stay alive and farm an ult when no one else has one.

I don't really think it would make the game snowbally. The nature of risk versus reward in going for a kill at the danger of trading ult charge from counter-kills adds a lot of dynamism to the game. In fact, certain team comps would have to slow down. Tanks like Rein that struggle in farming for ult would have to be more careful since a single death would mean no shatter. Genji diving in would have think about the risk of going in for right clicks dash melee and getting a kill at the cost of getting counter kill and not getting a blade.

The biggest disadvantage is probably going to be a massive increase in toxicity which is already ballooning out of control in Overwatch. It's beyond the point of generic online game stuff. Overwatch butthurt is its very own special brand of salt.
I agree that it would give the game more carry potential, and in that respect I think it might reduce toxicity insofar as feeling more individual impact so you're not riding as hard on being symbiotic with whoever you get teamed with. People would no longer be saving their ults for the stars to align, people wouldn't feel the need to stay on their character to wait to get their ult off, ults themselves would be more meaningful in general instead of staples of fights. Hell, you could even go roamer-style and go suicidal to get a crucial pick to tip the tides in your favour rather than just delaying the inevitable.

And it was on Hollywood with 5 seconds left.

Circumstances matter, but my point still stands. That is why I have backed off from mercy lately. Too many complaints no matter how you play. It is like selecting soldier against Pharmacy and getting no support but being expected to take them both out constantly.

randome

Circumstances matter, but my point still stands. That is why I have backed off from mercy lately. Too many complaints no matter how you play. It is like selecting soldier against Pharmacy and getting no support but being expected to take them both out constantly.

Soldier ur ONLY JOB IS TO TAKE OUT PHARAH!!

;)

I think the hardest part of learning Sombra for me is managing her teleporter. I always routinely fuck up my escape route by either forgetting the teleporter or misjudging the timing. I'm getting better at hacking people and proper EMP timing but man the teleporter management is still escaping me.

I think the hardest part of learning Sombra for me is managing her teleporter. I always routinely fuck up my escape route by either forgetting the teleporter or misjudging the timing. I'm getting better at hacking people and proper EMP timing but man the teleporter management is still escaping me.
Listen to sound cue unless it's drowned out by everything else lol. Don't let your excitement get the better of you ;p

Owzers

I have to remind myself that the goal is to get out alive, much like Winston.

Just to spitball a discussion -- is everyone happy with ults as they exist in the game right now? Would you feel that ults being wiped on death would be better or worse? Would it promote more willingness to swap? Would it make picks feel more significant than just "we have numbers now, go in"?

worse....would get waaaay more snowbally. Teams that are losing, will just lose. Ults in its current incarnation, give a team that might have had a bad start, a chance to turn things around with a few good ults. If they can't build it, and they don't win the first fight, they could just continue to keep getting dominated.

<edit> my bad on the back to back post.

As anyone ever experienced as Mercy going to glide to someone but inexplicably gliding backwards? Because that just happened to me twice.

antitrop

Zen Quintuple Kill POTG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGpC3blGP0g

0w6UNYW.gif

Veelk

Banned
Junkrat Suggestion #6

Speed up the set up of Steel Trap.

It's not super long now, but in the heat of battle, it could save many a junkrat if they can lay it down in front of them nearly instantaneously.

What point does SR serve if a big chunk of your players are throwers and quitters? Last two games I was in was with a guy called ReinhartThrower and it went the way you'd expect it. ReinhartThrower he's literally taking a piss on Blizzards lawn and is allowed to get a way with it. "Competing" in Overwatch is like competing in a contest with no rules or consequence. Meaningless.

At least I get a gold skin tho.

worse....would get waaaay more snowbally. Teams that are losing, will just lose. Ults in its current incarnation, give a team that might have had a bad start, a chance to turn things around with a few good ults. If they can't build it, and they don't win the first fight, they could just continue to keep getting dominated.

<edit> my bad on the back to back post.
I disagree with it getting more snowbally because picks would reset the advantage. Snowballs only happen currently because people get to hold onto things and coordinate whenever they feel like it, with the downtime only being their respawn and time back into the fight. Actually needing some survivability in order to get your ult at all would change that entirely.

why even have ults in the game at that point
To be a potent resource instead of a gimme.

Veelk

Banned
And get an instant 600 hp aoe attack no ty

That's uh....sounding like something like a slippery slope. I'm not suggesting that, I'm just suggesting that he has an ability he can use in the midst of battle better.

Edit: that feeling when you team sucks so fucking bad that you have to dive to take out their shield generator....as Torb.

Blizz should make regular competitive a month long qualifier to filter out the assholes. By the end of the qualifier the system can determine whether you're eligible to play ranked competitive or not based on various statistical factors (quitting, suicides and so on). I mean, it wouldn't be perfect, trolls will be trolls. But it'll be better then it is now.

I disagree with it getting more snowbally because picks would reset the advantage. Snowballs only happen currently because people get to hold onto things and coordinate whenever they feel like it, with the downtime only being their respawn and time back into the fight. Actually needing some survivability in order to get your ult at all would change that entirely.

Taking away people's ults isnt going to magically make them mechanically more sound.

A team that keeps getting wiped who may have a chance of turning the tide with a game changing ult, instead just keeps getting wiped if ults reset.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, after playing Junkrat for the last few hours, I think the two major buffs he needs are an increase in clip size and the ability to lay down 3 steel traps at once.

He's able to put out a lot of damage, but the slow volley of his grenades mean that it's incredibly imprecise. This is okay because that feeds into his role of area area denial, but it needs to be better than it is now. A larger clipsize would let him keep up sustained fire, and that would make him a greater priority target instead of someone to kinda watch out for.

But it's his steel trap that can really make a difference. It's a really powerful ability in theory, but in practice, it's pretty easy to avoid just by chance. And since it's fairly easily spotted, I feel like atleast half steel traps go destroyed. And even if they do trap people, a lot of the time I've moved on and I'm no longer in a position to follow up on the kill. But if Junkrat was able to lay down 2 or 3 of them? That's increases your chances of trapping someone up a fair bit.

Junkrat role is the anti-tank. Tanks create space. Junkrat is made to deny space. Let the rat do his job.

Veelk

Banned
AwN6GwJ.gif

One of the most unfun mechanics in the game to play against.

There's an ability that's that for everyone. I'm mainly concerned about having Junkrat be useful. This would arguably be a better counter to the dive meta than buffing Zarya's already powerful ult to be utterly inescapable since it will bring more viability to a character that's almost never had any.

There's an ability that's that for everyone. I'm mainly concerned about having Junkrat be useful. This would arguably be a better counter to the dive meta than buffing Zarya's already powerful ult to be utterly inescapable since it will bring more viability to a character that's almost never had any.

But Junkrat is already useful in some maps. He's also one of the most picked characters in the lower tiers.

Putting traps all over the map hoping that someone gets caught in them doesn't sound fun or reliable, it's random by nature.

Owzers and LiK OTP. Look at dat killfeed.

https://youtu.be/qLrNzA_wDwE

o_o

That was funny, what were they doing lol

Anne

For the record, I don't thin Zarya's ult buff is actually all that OP in the end. I just don't like the ideas that it represents and don't think it's a healthy addition to the game.

LiK

But Junkrat is already useful in some maps. He's also one of the most picked characters in the lower tiers.

Putting traps all over the map hoping that someone gets caught in them doesn't sound fun or reliable, it's random by nature.

o_o

That was funny, what were they doing lol

Yea, they were doing Barrierwatch with Bastion. Had to switch to Junk to counter that cheese.

Veelk

Banned

I'm not a particularly high tier, and I never see him in comp. And I could probably count the number of effective Junkrats I've seen on one hand. He's slow and his hitbox is fairly large for such a skinny dude and his mine isn't practical as an escape option. Most importantly, his projectile speed is slow enough his shots are arguably the easiest to dodge. He has his very niche uses, I agree, but I don't think there's any character in the game I wouldn't feel fairly confident taking him out with on average. He's pretty weak right now imo. At the very least, he's nowhere near as good at area denial as other characters are at area control.

Um....no? Not unless the player placing them is just throwing them out randomly themselves, but that's improper usage. I tend to place them right next to choke points or off to the side in popular fighting areas. It's about trying to find a middleground of a place where enemies are likely to be, being likely to follow through on the trap and places where it won't be spotted by enemies. The problem is that a single trap covers a very tiny area of any map. Given that the trap is little more than an annoyance unless you follow through on the kill, having more of them seems like a sensible buff to me. Hell, I'd be willing to take some damage off it in exchange, if that's the issue, even though it only does 80 already.

On the enemy's side, traps are visible in all maps, though some more than others. They have a set of jagged teeth sticking out of the ground. So it's up to the player to be aware of their surroundings and spot those teeth. Once you see it, you know that you either have to destroy it or that area is a no-go area, depending on circumstance. With the way the maps are designed, rarely will you ever be truly trapped with no options.

They can be annoying as hell, yeah, because some characters (like Tracer and Genji) are meant to move fast through an area, so they are going to be more susceptible to running into them. But all other characters have a reasonable chance of spotting them before they become an issue. Plus there are abilities that still let people protect themselves in some way. Orisa can Fortify and walk through it or put up a shield, as can Reinhardt and Winston, D.Va can DM, Genji can reflect, Mei and Symmetra can wall, etc.

And failing all of that, every characters can still primary fire and use offensive abilities, so everyone will always have a chance of just outfighting the enemy. So it's definitely not random, and I don't see how it would be gamebreaking either.

Edit: Also, Junkrat can't throw them very far. So whereever he leaves them, he has to physically go be at that location. So if you win a team fight, you're not gonna have to worry about them being in good areas again until the enemy retakes the point and Junkrat has time to set them all up again. And he won't set them up at all if you manage to kill him in the team fight and he has to run back. It's like Torb's turret, the less time he has to set the traps up, the less of a problem they are.

Yea, they were doing Barrierwatch with Bastion. Had to switch to Junk to counter that cheese.

Sombra EMP would have slaughtered them just as easily, or even Hanzo's dragons or a Tracer bomb, or Mei Blizzard, or Grav. Hell, you probably could have Zenyatta ulted and just rushed it, they wouldn't have been able to kill you. If you waited for Orisa's barrier wall to go on cool down, you could have shot D.Va's ult in there and they wouldn't be able to do anything about it. It's hard to think of a team comp that couldn't have broken them apart with them clumped together like that. Doomfist too if he was out now.

Top Bottom