• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Ramirez

TFqyiya.png

Looks like Diamond portraits coming too, for those with like 2000+ hours of gameplay.

Those are already in the game, I seen someone the other day with the platinum/gold duo, crazy! lol

Weapon skins just seem like the biggest "duh" thing ever, no clue what's taken them this long. If they're removing/reducing duplicates, they're going to need a lot more items for people to start chasing/paying for that have been playing for a while.

Problem, is that some of them are almost impossible to obtain after several character reworks. For example, 'The Path Is Closed'is almost impossible to get now, as the average Symmetra player doesn't stay on Symmetra long enough to put up so many teleporters, and if he/she does, they will probably be putting shield generators up. In the case for Reaper's "Waste Not, Want Not", it's much harder now that his Wraithform reloads his shotguns.

And good luck getting Winston's "Minesweeper" achievement, as it was only obtainable when Hero Stacking was a thing for Quick Play, & Symmetra is almost impossible to find.

I just got minesweeper like a week ago in qp.

It just happened, like all my overwatch trophies. I haven't 'tried' to get any but I'm about 13 or so from plat.

LiK

I just got minesweeper like a week ago in qp.

It just happened, like all my overwatch trophies. I haven't 'tried' to get any but I'm about 13 or so from plat.

Trophies happened to me without trying. The only ones that I got help with were the Shimada bros.

Plesiades

This could either be Summer Games or eSports related, but maybe they are trying to move away from over-saturating the game with character skins and moving more towards weapon cosmetics?

We call them skins but at the end, you're unlocking new 3D models. It's probably faster to crank out weapon models than a full character. No gameplay implications regarding hitboxes and such.

Blizzard already uses art houses like Airborn Studios for weapons, so it's just a question of when.

Maybe we start getting like 5 skins per event, but everyone gets a new weapon plus the usual stuff. That way everyone is happy that their favorite character got something "meaningful".

Veelk

Banned
While I kinda like the idea of mixing some skins with some others, I had always liked the visual cohesion of each skin presented even more. It makes me worry slightly that the game is taking a step toward aeathetic cluster fuckery by letting players mix and match whatever skin and gun they want. Like, that soldier looks good with that new gun skin, sure, but purple sombra with green machine gun is barf.

Trey

Random rant:

As a former Symmetra main, I couldn't see how sinfully boring, unrewarding, and unappreciated this character is. Playing other supports like Lucio, Ana and Zen (even Mercy) makes Symmetra just feel rushed and poorly thought out as a character to me, regardless if you think she is good or bad balance wise.

It's hard to get kills with her vs. experienced players, and new players hate her because they don't understand how to counter her. Her playstyle is extremely static and unsatisfying, other "no aim" heroes like Winston and Mercy have other aspects to their kit which makes their "no aim" weapon feel satisfying. Winston can leap onto people and smack people with his ult, Mercy can fly around the map, etc. Symmetra just has a shield to protect herself and and turrets, these don't really make her base weapon fun to play with.

Her turrets are a neat part of her kit, it allows for all sorts of crazy and unique ways to play her. But they get destroyed so easily, whether it be by the most popular hero in the game right now (Winston), destroying your setup instantly with his branching "no aim" weapon, or by random splash damage from rockets or grenades or spray that wasn't even intended to destroy them.

Then you have all the random things. Shield Generator stats are still not calculated at all, generator uptime, shield generated during its duration, no cards represent how much shield generator saved your game. Sombra gets to have her healthpacks showed to the team through walls to better help them play with a Sombra, but Symmetra is an original hero in Overwatch, been here since the beginning, but the dev team can't see how beneficial it could be to Sym players to have their turrets/ult visible to the team through walls, or a blue aura like Lucios on the ground to show the shield gen range. She still has random bugs, like her beam locking on to friendly Mei walls.

She hasn't been used in a pro tournament since last year (?), and her low usage overall should really tell Blizzard how weak she is gameplay wise, and how boring it is to play her. But here we are a year after the game has been released and while an attempt was made to fix her, she still is just there compared to rest of the heroes IMO. She is treated like the red headed step child of the cast despite Blizzard saying she was one of their most "beloved" heroes.

I really love Symmetra character design wise, but gameplay wise I'm not feeling her like I used to. Really wish they were more quick to "fix" her.

as another symmetra "main," I agree completely. stuff like her sentries and tele/shield gen not showing up on teammates' UI is ridiculous.

While I kinda like the idea of mixing some skins with some others, I had always liked the visual cohesion of each skin presented even more. It makes me worry slightly that the game is taking a step toward aeathetic cluster fuckery by letting players mix and match whatever skin and gun they want. Like, that soldier looks good with that new gun skin, sure, but purple sombra with green machine gun is barf.

This is the inevitable outcome to this. It'll be a horrible mishmash of aesthetics because they can introduce more variables to loot boxes which equals mo $$$$ from whales.

This is where the game will end up, a cluster fuck of colors and costumes.

Blues1990

When's the dive meta gonna end

overwatch-defense.jpg

I was really hoping that buffing our area denial heroes was the answer (instead, they are making Reinhardt, Zarya, and the offense heroes more consistent against mobile heroes.)

I can't be the only one who's baffled at this, no?

For PC users who might be interested in this...

Didn't know about this but Overtrack has some closed beta spots available. DMing on their Twitter for info might get you in? Not sure how they're handling closed invites. How I got in was through a Google form on the site. I know OverTrack has some relationship with Winston's Labs who is known for their competitive data analysis.

Lemme know if you get in! The developer is active in the private Discord. Fixes most bugs pretty quickly.

~~~

TL;DR of Overtrack:

OverTrack keeps records of your competitive matches - Skill Rating, Win/Loss/Draw, Eliminations, Healing, Damage, Objective Time, and more.
No longer is there a need to manually enter match data into a form or spreadsheet; OverTrack does all this automatically!

OverTrack records the map, result, heroes played and SR changes of all your matches.
All this is done by passively recording the screen of Overwatch, which, for the purposes of this program Blizzard has confirmed they do not consider a cheat.

Owzers

Such a bad feeling to almost reverse sweep, be up 70% to 0 and then not group up for a single team fight and lose. Flankers gonna flank. And die.

overwatch-defense.jpg

I was really hoping that buffing our area denial heroes was the answer (instead, they are making Reinhardt, Zarya, and the offense heroes more consistent against mobile heroes.)

This is honestly the answer, but they won't do it because scrubs hate these heroes.

Nazo

I don't know so many people think picking hanzo and widow in 6v6 elim is a good idea and to keep doing it if after we lose every round

MCD

I don't know so many people think picking hanzo and widow in 6v6 elim is a good idea and to keep doing it if after we lose every round

Hanzo mains are stubborn. If you tell them to switch they will never do so just leave them be.

Veelk

Banned
Yeah, that's true. I thInk Mei and Junk have a lot of merit though, so buffing them shouldn't be to much of a problem.

Mei was somewhat active before everything went Dive. Once Dive is weakened a bit so less mobile heroes are viable, she should re-enter the fray.

Junkrat imo can recieve a few sensible buffs that in no way would overpower him, like laying down more traps and giving his terrible ult more health so it can survive to hit anyone.

Likewise, Torbjorn could get a couple sensible buffs that wouldn't overpower him either that are nicely outlined here. Edit: for some reason, that thread got 404'd. Um, basically what it suggested was to fix the headbox (becuase it's twice as large as his head right now), buff the speed in which he sets up his turrets so he can be more mobile in a game where that's very important, and make it so that the turret doesn't autotarget people behind a shield when there are other targets out in the open.

Bastion they already reworked pretty substantially and I think he's in a similar area to Mei where Dive is just too strong and he'd be more viable once it dies down.

Widowmaker imo could use a fundamental rework. She's not over or underpowered, but the fact is that sniping is all she can do. If you can point and click, you get the kill and if you can't, you don't. Some people like the purity of that, but I think it just makes her uninteresting to play. She needs this rework on consoles more than PC, because console players either cheat with the M/KB or just don't have the accuracy needed to be useful.

Hanzo is straight up fine as is. I don't want him to be Roadhogged.

Blues1990

This is honestly the answer, but they won't do it because scrubs hate these heroes.

Even non-scrubs do because a lot of their tactics are inherently not fun to engage with.

Yeah, that's true. I thInk Mei and Junk have a lot of merit though, so buffing them shouldn't be to much of a problem.

You could also say the same thing to any of the other heroes for being "not fun to engage with". It's not a picnic (as Zenyatta) to deal with a bullying Tracer, McCree, or Genji. It wasn't fun when Roadhog could pull you off a cliff when he was pushed off.

My point being, is that it's silly that they are currently incapable of doing what they are supposed to do. In the current Dive Meta, Winston/D.Va/Lucio/Tracer/Genji/ (or a similar combination) can dive into the point & is dominant. When Ana was piloting a fleet of tanks, most of the Defense Heroes were outclassed.

Defense heroes should counter this (as they are meant to control area and hold points), but they don't. I think slowly buffing them (like how they've been doing with Hanzo) is a good start, but they still have a long way to go.

i have gold. don't need to change.

"Mad? Of course I'm mad! I'm mad for GOLD!!"

Mei was somewhat active before everything went Dive. Once Dive is weakened a bit so less mobile heroes are viable, she should re-enter the fray.

Junkrat imo can recieve a few sensible buffs that in no way would overpower him, like laying down more traps and giving his terrible ult more health so it can survive to hit anyone.

Likewise, Torbjorn could get a couple sensible buffs that wouldn't overpower him either that are nicely outlined here. Edit: for some reason, that thread got 404'd. Um, basically what it suggested was to fix the headbox (becuase it's twice as large as his head right now), buff the speed in which he sets up his turrets so he can be more mobile in a game where that's very important, and make it so that the turret doesn't autotarget people behind a shield when there are other targets out in the open.

Bastion they already reworked pretty substantially and I think he's in a similar area to Mei where Dive is just too strong and he'd be more viable once it dies down.

Widowmaker imo could use a fundamental rework. She's not over or underpowered, but the fact is that sniping is all she can do. If you can point and click, you get the kill and if you can't, you don't. Some people like the purity of that, but I think it just makes her uninteresting to play. She needs this rework on consoles more than PC, because console players either cheat with the M/KB or just don't have the accuracy needed to be useful.

Hanzo is straight up fine as is. I don't want him to be Roadhogged.

Aside from Scatter Arrow, I agree that Hanzo is in a good spot.

Torbjorn is definitely the hero that needs the most love, and it was good that you posted that link to that B.Net forum post on how to gradually improve his tool kit and fix is ridiculous hit box.

I don't play Widowmaker, so I can't comment on that character.

I'm willing to wait and see how Bastion will fair when the Dive Comp goes away, as he does have potential.

As for Mei (who is the character in that class I play the most), I can think of the following small changes that can make her a little bit better:

-Increase the startup speed and freezing speed of her ult. (Soldier 76 can literally run across it.)
-Slightly reducing the damage falloff of her icicles.
-Reloading once activating Cryofreeze.
-Either reduce the time freezing a target or slightly increase the spread to freeze more than one person at a time for her primary fire.
-Having her Winter Wonderland Ultimate Ability as a secondary Ult to choose from, and it works in a similar fashion.
-Cryofreeze - Anyone who gets within a 3 foot radius would slow down, but not freeze. That could help the Mei player out of sticky situations where they end up surrounded.

I agree with the ideas for buffing Junkrat. I also liked the ideas this guy presented.

Nazo

I agree. I dread seeing a Widow on my team. 99% of the time they are abject garbage that contributes absolutely NOTHING to the team. Its just how widow's kit encourages people to play. It sucks. Pretty much every character has some kind of ability or is able to synergize with the rest of the team. Widow just stands off in the distance missing shot, after shot, after shot. In the vain hope that they'll eventually kill something and actually make some kind of impact.

Edit: I'm on console btw

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
For PC users who might be interested in this...

Didn't know about this but Overtrack has some closed beta spots available. DMing on their Twitter for info might get you in? Not sure how they're handling closed invites. How I got in was through a Google form on the site. I know OverTrack has some relationship with Winston's Labs who is known for their competitive data analysis.

Lemme know if you get in! The developer is active in the private Discord. Fixes most bugs pretty quickly.
Sweet, I'm in! Thanks for posting.

Moonkid

Man, when you're up against a player called "heyimthrowing" and they start throwing on attack Eichenwelde yet somehow it's _still_ a close game... Hilarious that account isn't banned, though I don't think any account on PSN has been anyway.

TrueBlue

I'm still waiting for Monster Hunter McCree, along with a Lobisomem skin for Lucio.

But you brought up a good point. There are areas where they can improve for the Summer Games.

Those would be good ideas for skins.

And yeah, I think Sunner Ganes 2016 looks a little weak in retrospect. A new brawl and a done up stage would do nicely.

Hm....Zarya or Orisa for bride of Junkenstein? It needs to be someone big, so one of those.

Zarya was what I had in mind. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Mei, due to the whole Junk/Mei dynamic in the fandom. Though that would presumably require a new legendary skin, and Mei has got a lot of legendary love in the last few events, so I think she's out. She ain't Tracer.

Just got my first ever play of the game as Ana.

It was pretty uneventful, I threw a grenade into our team's graviton and then sniped the enemy Zarya.

Still pretty cool and everybody on our team freaked out when the Ana highlight intro played.

HMD

Just got my first ever play of the game as Ana.

It was pretty uneventful, I threw a grenade into our team's graviton and then sniped the enemy Zarya.

Still pretty cool and everybody on our team freaked out when the Ana highlight intro played.

I play Ana paintball for a chance at a POTG.

Jacqli

Random rant:

As a former Symmetra main, I couldn't see how sinfully boring, unrewarding, and unappreciated this character is. Playing other supports like Lucio, Ana and Zen (even Mercy) makes Symmetra just feel rushed and poorly thought out as a character to me, regardless if you think she is good or bad balance wise.

It's hard to get kills with her vs. experienced players, and new players hate her because they don't understand how to counter her. Her playstyle is extremely static and unsatisfying, other "no aim" heroes like Winston and Mercy have other aspects to their kit which makes their "no aim" weapon feel satisfying. Winston can leap onto people and smack people with his ult, Mercy can fly around the map, etc. Symmetra just has a shield to protect herself and and turrets, these don't really make her base weapon fun to play with.

Her turrets are a neat part of her kit, it allows for all sorts of crazy and unique ways to play her. But they get destroyed so easily, whether it be by the most popular hero in the game right now (Winston), destroying your setup instantly with his branching "no aim" weapon, or by random splash damage from rockets or grenades or spray that wasn't even intended to destroy them.

Then you have all the random things. Shield Generator stats are still not calculated at all, generator uptime, shield generated during its duration, no cards represent how much shield generator saved your game. Sombra gets to have her healthpacks showed to the team through walls to better help them play with a Sombra, but Symmetra is an original hero in Overwatch, been here since the beginning, but the dev team can't see how beneficial it could be to Sym players to have their turrets/ult visible to the team through walls, or a blue aura like Lucios on the ground to show the shield gen range. She still has random bugs, like her beam locking on to friendly Mei walls.

She hasn't been used in a pro tournament since last year (?), and her low usage overall should really tell Blizzard how weak she is gameplay wise, and how boring it is to play her. But here we are a year after the game has been released and while an attempt was made to fix her, she still is just there compared to rest of the heroes IMO. She is treated like the red headed step child of the cast despite Blizzard saying she was one of their most "beloved" heroes.

I really love Symmetra character design wise, but gameplay wise I'm not feeling her like I used to. Really wish they were more quick to "fix" her.

My problem with her is that I still do not know which role she fills in. She is not a healer, so you still need one in your team, she might be better used as another DPS, but I think there are better options than her. Heck, even Soldier can heal his teammates. And while I think her ultimate(s) are fine and pretty unique (but yeah, they should add more indicators to her ults), the character itself... Not so much.

I totally agree with you, she feels out of place. Maybe add a passive of healing (her turrets? I do not know) and reduce her damage. Or maybe a complete rework.

Blues1990

Those would be good ideas for skins.

And yeah, I think Sunner Ganes 2016 looks a little weak in retrospect. A new brawl and a done up stage would do nicely.

Zarya was what I had in mind. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Mei, due to the whole Junk/Mei dynamic in the fandom. Though that would presumably require a new legendary skin, and Mei has got a lot of legendary love in the last few events, so I think she's out. She ain't Tracer.

I still want Lucio Ball to return, as that mode was pretty fun to play. It will be interesting now with Lucio's new mechanics.

As for the Mei relationship thingy, I always though fans have paired her up with McCree, Zarya, or Symmetra?

IKizzLE

overwatch-defense.jpg

Season 6 introduces the Defense Meta. All the turrets do the damage they did at launch, bastion can deploy a shield in front of him in turret mode, Widow can quick scope again, etc.

This would be the most boring game ever created.

Anne

They don't buff defense heroes because t b h half of them are balanced. Mei/Widow/Hanzo are all fine. Torb is close to fine too. Junkrat and Bastion are ass tho. You can't really buff Bastion more than he is or bad things happen. Chalk it up to a shit design. I'm also willing to bet his stats in ladder aren't that terrible.

A lot of people have it kinda stuck in their heads that dive is like the only thing to do in this game because it's super broken and everything else is that much weaker. That's not really what's going on. Dive is just marginally better than other options with not enough options to counterplay against it. In ladder there are lots of things to do about it up to a point. In pro level, that marginal difference and lack of any real options to counter it means you just take the mirror.

That being said tho, it's not fun to play DPS and feel like a support vs tanks. Having the risk of dive around isn't fun, Having to put it tons of effort and work into making things like Rein/McCree work against it is miserable and unrewarding. etc. It's not that unbalanced that you can't play ladder without always using it. It's just not really worth the time and effort to explore other options unless you're hyperly dedicated elsewhere. It's also not very fun how you have to go about things as a result.

Having more options and a small nerf to like Winston/D.Va might actually be enough to close that gap. I'm still pissy that Blizz refuses to do that while just giving other characters their own options without significant counterplay that do nothign to really close the gap. At least Doomfist is something that might end dive meta, but that's risky to just creating a whole new set of shit.

Blues1990

Season 6 introduces the Defense Meta. All the turrets do the damage they did at launch, bastion can deploy a shield in front of him in turret mode, Widow can quick scope again, etc.

This would be the most boring game ever created.

While I know you are probably joking, I'm asking for some small QOL changes for the Defense Heroes, not making them into monsters. :/

PatjuhR

You know the funny thing with Bastion in 2300-2500 range is that he can completely dominate on defense for 80% of the game, but the moments he is gone/dead the whole defense is gone.

I totally agree with you, she feels out of place. Maybe add a passive of healing (her turrets? I do not know) and reduce her damage. Or maybe a complete rework.

Yeah, hitting the ult button while holding a turret to swap between a damage and a healing turret, like how she swaps between teleporter and shield generator, would be cool.

Maybe give it like 4-5 HP per second. Not enough to make her a primary healer, but to give her a bit more support utility.

Fugu

Mei is a character that is not going to be made right simply by buffing her. She is often touted as countering dive, but who are we talking about here?

Winston - needs to be frozen twice to be killed solo, bubble is extremely effective against Mei, can jump out if he starts to get a little chilly
D.Va - needs to be frozen at least twice, can simply fly away at any time, including in between freezes; DM basically entirely erases Mei's ability to kill Tracer
Lucio - BOOP
Zenyatta - ...okay Mei's pretty good against Zen but she has to actually find him by himself, which is unlikely against good players
Tracer - If you're a good Mei chances are you can land the one hit kill on her with some consistency, but Tracer's high mobility means she can do just fine staying the hell away from Mei
Genji - Same shit as Tracer except Mei has a reasonably good chance of freezing him

Mei is slow, can only really handle fighting one character at a time, and has little to contribute to co-ordinated team fights except for her ult, which only charges fast when she's getting kills. She's not unusable - I have a Mei only smurf and I do just fine - but she's a lot more fun than she is good.

Personally, I'd like to see them rework freeze to be a cc that's exploitable for the whole team instead of being something that happens so abruptly that only Mei can really take advantage of it.

You know the funny thing with Bastion in 2300-2500 range is that he can completely dominate on defense for 80% of the game, but the moments he is gone/dead the whole defense is gone.
This is largely becauae a) losing one person on defense is pretty serious and b) people who pick Bastion force the rest of the team to work around them or lose.

Top Bottom