• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
300 points until master
I was getting there and then the game decided I should be paired with Plats and Golds.

Gorillaz

Had a Hamanara where someone glitched the point on the enemy team to contest it forever basically? Is this a thing now?

I might be done with comp after all if this becomes a thing

I've been stuck in the 2800s for like the past 10 hours now. 67W-60L. It's like clockwork, I start to get close to 2900 and bam back down to the high 2700s low 2800s. All the Diamonds on my team have less SR than me.

LiK

I've been stuck in the 2800s for like the past 10 hours now. 67W-60L. It's like clockwork, I start to get close to 2900 and bam back down to the high 2700s low 2800s. All the Diamonds on my team have less SR than me.

Yup, i seem to be stuck in 2800s as well. I haven't played as much as you tho.

Had to play a game to prevent decay, and I literally have the worst team I have ever seen. Rank 3700's playing like a bunch of Platinum's getting steamrolled in Hollywood. Our Orissa and Tracer kept trickling, our Mercy was doing gods knows what, and I was the only person other than D.va getting picks at all.

Now the Orissa is pissed off and trolling as Widow. I can't wait for Splatoon to come at midnight so I can have a reason to drop this season

Yup, i seem to be stuck in 2800s as well. I haven't played as much as you tho.

This is my second highest season when it comes to playtime. My highest season when it comes to rank and playtime was season one. I was 66, which is probably like high diamond or low master. Apparently, I just suck ass now. Usually people get better, I've seem to be doing the opposite.

carlos

Great playing with you, PS4GAF, too bad we had to end on a sour note those last 2 games.

Feel free to add me on psn or pm me here and I'll send the friend request.

Playing alone is not really doing it for me anymore.

LiK

This is my second highest season when it comes to playtime. My highest season when it comes to rank and playtime was season one. I was 66, which is probably like high diamond or low master. Apparently, I just suck ass now. Usually people get better, I've seem to be doing the opposite.

First season, my high was 67. All Diamonds after that until this Season. Went up to 2900 and then I dropped like a brick to 2700s. Made it back to mid 2800s and haven't played much cuz people haven't been on when I'm on or they get on too late when I'm too tired for Comp.

Owzers

Great playing with you, PS4GAF, too bad we had to end on a sour note those last 2 games.

Feel free to add me on psn or pm me here and I'll send the friend request.

Playing alone is not really doing it for me anymore.

We failed the moon, how long until we lose earth too? Though I guess we failed earth first losing on Liajang.

This is the type of stupid shit you have to deal with in Master's. Not included in the video was our Mercy telling us to die, then epic-ly failing her res and only getting 1 person and causing us to lose the point.

I just left the chat because I was trying to focus on the match, then didn't mute them because it was so fucking hilarious after a bit

https://youtu.be/6USFBdYX8ds

My favorite part is the fact I left for a good 4 or 5 minutes and they are still arguing just as intently when I came back.

Blues1990

This is the type of stupid shit you have to deal with in Master's. Not included in the video was our Mercy telling us to die, then epic-ly failing her res and only getting 1 person and causing us to lose the point.

I just left the chat because I was trying to focus on the match, then didn't mute them because it was so fucking hilarious after a bit

My favorite part is the fact I left for a good 4 or 5 minutes and they are still arguing just as intently when I came back.

Good on you for leaving that lot squabbling. I sometimes need to remind myself to do that.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Got to platinum finally. So sick of being like one fuckin game away each time lol.

Congrats man.

Honestly, personally I'm the type that does my personal best in clutch, so I tend to win those one win away games, but it can take absolutely forever to get to that one game away.

It's weird how being in the zone works. Being in the zone is all about not thinking cognitively so that your ultra fast muscle memory (which can affect decision making alongside muscles) completely takes over, but you can't build muscle memory without thinking cognitively about it from time to time. That creates really weird times for when muscle memory and cognitive thinking wants to kick in for people, and different people have it kick in at different times. That's why some people have problems at milestones like being a game away from ranking up, because their brains thinks that is the time to start cognitively thinking about everything, and making bad plays because cognitive thinking is incredibly slow and easily overwhelmed.

Before the matches, Japan are humble, dont know pro player names, could be bad but good next year like Suoth Korea, lady bragging will be steam rolled

After matches, yea Japan did good BUTTTT its all Spains fault

outside of his "press e to do 400 damage" which instagibs over 90% of the roster, hes crap. hes never the optimal pick for ANY situation and when the enemy is running a counter to him hes completely useless. this mostly filters out anyone with any actual intelligence leaving only the absolute lowest tier of people using him. they are trash and will never switch

yes im aware there are an extremely miniscule amt of players at grandmaster level who can make hanzo work through enough mechanical skill and abuse of the fisher price hitboxes and scatter arrow, but this is not applicable to 99.99% of the hanzo mains. and when you get stuck with one of that 99.99%, if there isnt someone equally as garbo on the enemy team you might as well just throw and get to your next game faster

Even if any of this is true, and it ain't, none of that matters to what I mean. Hanzo is an honorable character that you have to have skill in order to play. You never want "optimal" picks for any situation, if you have them in your game it's a design problem. That's one of the key flaws of Overwatch. Counter-picking was always a dumb concept for a game without a pick ban mechanic. Since every hero is in play and you don't drop ult unless you switch; people just play the safest, and thus most boring, gaggle of heroes they can come up with. More of the characters should have been designed with Hanzo's risk/reward paradigm. Characters that are overly safe like Soldier 76 were a mistake. There's a reason why the TF2 devs had the foresight to not include an assault rifle weapon. Powerful hitscan without significant drawbacks sucks the design space out of the game.

With that said Hanzo has plenty of good reasons to be picked. Firstly, Hanzo wields the power of memes like Elric wields Stormbringer. Yeah you can tilt your team, but you can also punish the enemy team who underestimate you for the same reasons. The cursed blade can cause endless heartache from the butthurt throwers, but many a foeman will fall if you have the strength and cunning to wield it.

Because Hanzo is "off-meta" you can guarantee that you have access to him almost anytime barring running into another Hanzo main. Good luck just trying to get by playing something like 76, genji, or tracer since everyone else has the same idea. Just like in Dota, the advice to just go mid and carry was always terrible since every Tom, Dmitri, and Juan read that on reddit too. Far better to either play a high impact support or pick something weird and go offlane to fuck with the enemy carry. The latter fits Hanzo to a tee.

Speaking of which, the third reason to pick him are his actual in game roles: tempo control/disruption, high ground control, and targeted assassination. Hanzo's damage exists on absolute terms. He either misses (and thus feeds no support ult charge), severely chunks somebody (more likely it will lead to an elimination), or flat out deletes their ass from the game making him very efficient in the ult economy. This creates a snowball effect for his team since the enemy supports won't have any "farm" from healing wounded teammates and thus won't get their defensive ults on time. This same characteristic also serves to mitigate the negative impact of newbie Hanzo's. People balk at 5 v 6 but 5 v 6 and even 4 v 6's are winnable and all of you have probably won these situations without realizing it all the time. What is more challenging are 5 v 7's and 4 v 8's. Situations where weaker players give up advantage either by feeding ghastly amounts of ult charge as a tank or by doing inconsequential chip damage and feeding support ult, are far more disadvantageous than someone who is merely low impact. A struggling Hanzo can be carried quite easily. A shit D.va chain feeding suits or a deranged monkey feeding his fuzzy ass at every hop can solo lose a game. Hanzo's mobility option of wall climb has a 100 percent uptime. The highground in Overwatch is what chest high walls are in Gears of War. In a game where most of the map is open kill boxes, chokes, and hallways; the high ground is often the only effective piece of cover there is. Hanzo, especially with his recent buff, can clamber up there and take a position on the high ground at any time and threaten anyone already there. He can also retake it if booped or forced off. An example of a strong postion is the perch on Volkskaya second point. A ground bound dps has to waddle all the way around through the backline to get on the stairs, whereas hanzo can just climb up and sit there and hop down to the health packs if pressured without having to sacrifice that position. Finally Hanzo has the best selection of side abilities in the game geared towards really ruining somebody's day. A great value version of widow's ult in sonic arrow. An arguably stronger version of pulse bomb with scatter. And his own unique ultimate which can do cheeky pickoffs through walls or threaten a huge wombo combo with another person. If you can identify the enemy's best player and assassinate them with some wholesome geometry you can straight up win the game without having to do anything else. Weeks ago surefour got utterly pasted by a Hanzo main since the Hanzo just scatter arrowed him everytime it was off cooldown. He didn't do anything else but it didn't matter. Without their top 500 player his team collapsed to 5 enemies.

Try playing some classic arena shooters. Like quake or unreal tournament. These are games who's weapon design and skill growth is something Hanzo's gameplay loop is inspired by. Open your heart to others. Respect them on their journey to improve themselves.

Veelk

Banned
Characters that are overly safe like Soldier 76 were a mistake. There's a reason why the TF2 devs had the foresight to not include an assault rifle weapon. Powerful hitscan without significant drawbacks sucks the design space out of the game.

This is why they should have never buffed Soldier the way they did. He already had a lot of advantages when his assault rifle did 17 damage because he had infinite sprint, long distance fire, a personal heal station, a rocket for extra damage, and a powerful ult. His only real weakness was that his primary fire did mediocre - not bad damage, it's not like you couldn't just ignore it, just not crisis inducing - damage. And that's the way it should have been. With so many other advantages, why should he be so devastating doing normal damage too?

Now there's basically no reason ever to not pick him. The best argument you can make is that if you have truly godly aim, then McCree can be a better pick (something that's basically never happening on console). But then you're giving up mobility, self healing, and a better ult for that extra bit of burst damage, which makes him a situational pick even when you do have the aim you need to do stuff with McCree.

I realize that a lot of people like Soldier, but I see him as a cancer. He's not hte only thing wrong with the game, but he's probably the most wrong thing in the game that's unlikely to change because Blizzard is of the belief that he ought to be this powerful, so he's just going to continue being the safest DPS pick you can make in any given game. Just use your infinite sprint to get to the highground faster than almost any other character, then piss down damage until someone decides to deal with you.

Even if any of this is true, and it ain't, none of that matters to what I mean. Hanzo is an honorable character that you have to have skill in order to play. You never want "optimal" picks for any situation, if you have them in your game it's a design problem. That's one of the key flaws of Overwatch. Counter-picking was always a dumb concept for a game without a pick ban mechanic. Since every hero is in play and you don't drop ult unless you switch; people just play the safest, and thus most boring, gaggle of heroes they can come up with. More of the characters should have been designed with Hanzo's risk/reward paradigm. Characters that are overly safe like Soldier 76 were a mistake. There's a reason why the TF2 devs had the foresight to not include an assault rifle weapon. Powerful hitscan without significant drawbacks sucks the design space out of the game.

With that said Hanzo has plenty of good reasons to be picked. Firstly, Hanzo wields the power of memes like Elric wields Stormbringer. Yeah you can tilt your team, but you can also punish the enemy team who underestimate you for the same reasons. The cursed blade can cause endless heartache from the butthurt throwers, but many a foeman will fall if you have the strength and cunning to wield it.

Because Hanzo is "off-meta" you can guarantee that you have access to him almost anytime barring running into another Hanzo main. Good luck just trying to get by playing something like 76, genji, or tracer since everyone else has the same idea. Just like in Dota, the advice to just go mid and carry was always terrible since every Tom, Dmitri, and Juan read that on reddit too. Far better to either play a high impact support or pick something weird and go offlane to fuck with the enemy carry. The latter fits Hanzo to a tee.

Speaking of which, the third reason to pick him are his actual in game roles: tempo control/disruption, high ground control, and targeted assassination. Hanzo's damage exists on absolute terms. He either misses (and thus feeds no support ult charge), severely chunks somebody (more likely it will lead to an elimination), or flat out deletes their ass from the game making him very efficient in the ult economy. This creates a snowball effect for his team since the enemy supports won't have any "farm" from healing wounded teammates and thus won't get their defensive ults on time. This same characteristic also serves to mitigate the negative impact of newbie Hanzo's. People balk at 5 v 6 but 5 v 6 and even 4 v 6's are winnable and all of you have probably won these situations without realizing it all the time. What is more challenging are 5 v 7's and 4 v 8's. Situations where weaker players give up advantage either by feeding ghastly amounts of ult charge as a tank or by doing inconsequential chip damage and feeding support ult, are far more disadvantageous than someone who is merely low impact. A struggling Hanzo can be carried quite easily. A shit D.va chain feeding suits or a deranged monkey feeding his fuzzy ass at every hop can solo lose a game. Hanzo's mobility option of wall climb has a 100 percent uptime. The highground in Overwatch is what chest high walls are in Gears of War. In a game where most of the map is open kill boxes, chokes, and hallways; the high ground is often the only effective piece of cover there is. Hanzo, especially with his recent buff, can clamber up there and take a position on the high ground at any time and threaten anyone already there. He can also retake it if booped or forced off. An example of a strong postion is the perch on Volkskaya second point. A ground bound dps has to waddle all the way around through the backline to get on the stairs, whereas hanzo can just climb up and sit there and hop down to the health packs if pressured without having to sacrifice that position. Finally Hanzo has the best selection of side abilities in the game geared towards really ruining somebody's day. A great value version of widow's ult in sonic arrow. An arguably stronger version of pulse bomb with scatter. And his own unique ultimate which can do cheeky pickoffs through walls or threaten a huge wombo combo with another person. If you can identify the enemy's best player and assassinate them with some wholesome geometry you can straight up win the game without having to do anything else. Weeks ago surefour got utterly pasted by a Hanzo main since the Hanzo just scatter arrowed him everytime it was off cooldown. He didn't do anything else but it didn't matter. Without their top 500 player his team collapsed to 5 enemies.

Try playing some classic arena shooters. Like quake or unreal tournament. These are games who's weapon design and skill growth is something Hanzo's gameplay loop is inspired by. Open your heart to others. Respect them on their journey to improve themselves.

i was a long time quake and unreal tournament player. please dont insult those games by mentioning overwatch alongside them.

and omg news flash, overwatch is the pinnicale of bad game design, so optimal pics are very much a thing. blizzard is not a good developer and they havent been capable of making a good game for almost 20 years now.

all the points you mention in favor of hanzo are for the most part, done better by widow. if you must play sniper shes a better pick

i think soldier is by far, the best designed character in the game. he doesnt flat out destroy anyone and no one flat out destroys him. his ult is dumb as nails fisher price crap, but so is most every ult in the game

God damn those healers.

Ambient80

i was a long time quake and unreal tournament player. please dont insult those games by mentioning overwatch alongside them.

and omg news flash, overwatch is the pinnicale of bad game design, so optimal pics are very much a thing. blizzard is not a good developer and they havent been capable of making a good game for almost 20 years now.

all the points you mention in favor of hanzo are for the most part, done better by widow. if you must play sniper shes a better pick

i think soldier is by far, the best designed character in the game. he doesnt flat out destroy anyone and no one flat out destroys him. his ult is dumb as nails fisher price crap, but so is most every ult in the game

If you truly feel that way, then what are you even doing here?

Veelk

Banned
What's more baffling to me is the fact that there is somebody who things Widow is a better sniper than Hanzo

Well, she technically is a better sniper. Zoomed in scope, hitscan weapon...If your objective is to headshot someone far away, you want Widow.

Hanzo's kit as a whole makes him more useful as a character though and he's really ideally used as a mid-long range fighter.

What's more baffling to me is the fact that there is somebody who things Widow is a better sniper than Hanzo

She is, and she even has her niche place in pro games every now and then. Hitscan with a scope vs projectile is a very easy choice ot make for a sniper.

Now soloq with wannabe snipers is a whole other story, they are both crap most of the time from my experience. Console also makes it harder to play with those characters unless you have mkb.

PatjuhR

It is because PC or Console makes a huge difference in the Hanzo/Widow discussion.

I should've been more clear because I know nothing about PC. But I'd like to hear if somebody thinks Widow is better than Hanzo also on console.

LiK

It is because PC or Console makes a huge difference in the Hanzo/Widow discussion.

I should've been more clear because I know nothing about PC. But I'd like to hear if somebody thinks Widow is better than Hanzo also on console.

Widow on console sucks unless she's their main or they're using kb/m. I've played against good Widows on console and it's annoying but they're also rare. Hanzo is a better pick if you know how his projectiles work. Widow is godly on PC. Any hitscan player on PC does way better than console.

Widow is easily countered by a Winston so unless she's really good at headshotting your monkey, just zap her.

The global PS4 leaderboard seems to suggest that there are more Widow players.

At least within the top 1-100 range.

I don't wanna judge but I feel like most of them use kb/m to get there.

I'm starting to think I'm glad I'm not good enough at the game to be high level because that shit is awful. I've never run into anything nearly that bad in Gold/Platinum.

LiK

I'm starting to think I'm glad I'm not good enough at the game to be high level because that shit is awful. I've never run into anything nearly that bad in Gold/Platinum.

When you have toxic attitudes mixed with big egos, it's even worse up there.

Nimby

Banned
Widow is better than Hanzo on all platforms, assuming you're using Hanzo at long ranges. Hanzo is better used at a medium-close range. His shots are too inconsistent at longer ranges.

Ramirez

This is why I stay out of comms man, life is too short, lol. /old

Top Bottom