• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Zeneric

The competitive mode really is a different beast compared to the quick play mode. I played decently on Quick Play, leveled up to lvl 25 fast (required to enter the competitive mode). I kept winning. My confidence was high. Then I got destroyed when I entered the competitive mode after I got to lvl 25. God fuckin damn it, way to be confident falsely. At least the comp mode is very challenging that forces you to think better-deeper/figure out how to get better at OW, etc.

The problem I have with video games is I usually don't play 'em seriously.

LiK

Oh, you're right, that's totally supposed to be Deathwing.

Junkrat is actually supposed to be a Diablo demon (I think the Fallen?) though.

junkratblojsup6.png

OMG, he looks badass

I'm watching Contenders right now and they are finally playing on the latest patch.

Junkrat, Widowmaker, and Roadhog have gotten more use than usual so that's cool.

Veelk

Banned
I'm watching Contenders right now and they are finally playing on the latest patch.

Junkrat, Widowmaker, and Roadhog have gotten more use than usual so that's cool.

Widowmaker is still largely worthless, but an 8 second cooldown on her grapple and her venom mine actually being useful helps a lot.

Widowmaker is still largely worthless, but an 8 second cooldown on her grapple and her venom mine actually being useful helps a lot.

Widowmaker would occasionally see use in pro play depending on the map, but I have never seen her get played on Lijiang Tower's gardens stage. To be fair it was Taimou who picked her, and he is arguably the greatest Widow in the world and the most likely to bring her out.

At the least it should slightly increase her pick rate.

Sygma

didn't play since like one week +, logged in and lost 100 points thanks to people instalocking Mccree as dps when they don't have a reinhardt (it always end well), and of course the eternal mercy without pharah.

Sigh. Really tired of that botched matchmaking

didn't play since like one week +, logged in and lost 100 points thanks to people instalocking Mccree as dps when they don't have a reinhardt (it always end well), and of course the eternal mercy without pharah.

Sigh. Really tired of that botched matchmaking

???

McCree is played with a Winston a lot and there are Mercy players without Pharah literally all the time.

Sygma

???

McCree is played with a Winston a lot and there are Mercy players without Pharah literally all the time.

Yeah its exactly what I'm saying. Way to have free losses. Mercy is absolute garbage without a Pharah because she doesn't have any vertical axis at disposal to GA out of a heat zone. She's just there. Completely useless healer and Mccree over soldier almost never makes sense when you dont have Rein

I main Ana and Zen so she's just a liability to me. Fun fact, I bought a second account to play sombra / doomfist / zarya , went over 4.3k without troubles. On my main account (support only) I just can't reach 3500 because of fucking mercy everywhere. Everytime I have a good Lucio I always add in the friendlist because damn

started today at 2745. games 4w, 5l.
Ended at 2714.

i should have stopped playing when i knew it was going bad. but it's like gambling you just keep going

started today at 2745. games 4w, 5l.
Ended at 2714.

i should have stopped playing when i knew it was going bad. but it's like gambling you just keep going
"Ugh, I lost? I can't end on a bad note like that. This next one has to count."
"Woo hoo, I won! I have to ride out this streak now."

Repeat until 3AM.

Veelk

Banned
On a more positive take of things for once, you know what I think is great?

We're pretty close to a meta where most of the heroes are viable. Junkrat is finally worthwhile, Mercy and D.Va are getting reworks that I don't think Blizzard is going to stop tinkering with until they think they got it right, I think Orisa is in a good place and just needs a few adjustments, Reaper's soul eating change really gave him a big leg up on the other DPS's, and Widow got the small buff she needed for a year now.

There is almost no one at this point who I see picked and think "oh, we're fucked". There are still changes that should be made, of course. There will always be. But the game is fairly balanced at this point, with no one in particular sticking out too far. And I think that's super cool. The problem with the season 5 meta is that it was incredibly stale with everyone playing the safest comp. Now, it's much more varied.

leng jai

So came back to OW after not playing for 2 weeks and immediately go on a 5 game win streak in comp. That's not suspicious at all...

Yeah its exactly what I'm saying. Way to have free losses. Mercy is absolute garbage without a Pharah because she doesn't have any vertical axis at disposal to GA out of a heat zone. She's just there. Completely useless healer and Mccree over soldier almost never makes sense when you dont have Rein

I main Ana and Zen so she's just a liability to me. Fun fact, I bought a second account to play sombra / doomfist / zarya , went over 4.3k without troubles. On my main account (support only) I just can't reach 3500 because of fucking mercy everywhere. Everytime I have a good Lucio I always add in the friendlist because damn

Mercy is the most played hero at every rank. If you think she's garbage without Pharah there's a lot of GM+ Mercy mains who would tell you otherwise*.

*the actual skill of Mercy mains notwithstanding

Sygma

Mercy is the most played hero at every rank. If you think she's garbage without Pharah there's a lot of GM+ Mercy mains who would tell you otherwise*.

*the actual skill of Mercy mains notwithstanding

im sitting at 4350 on my second account and i just absolutely farm fools picking mercy without pharah on both sombra and df

lucio is much more common at that rank, it just sucks that i cant play support with the hope of climbing if i dont have a lucio. i had zero win streak in the whole season 5 and now at 40% win rate while healing - dpsing - assisting much more than any mercy i play with. ana mercy also is abysmal since if i miss a dart the whole group is dead. if enemy team use a combo, we re all dead

with lucio and zen you can actually have momentum when ults are used, which mercy cannot provide even with her new ult coming up

its not because shes the most played that shes viable. most of the times she isnt

AbaFadi

Banned

How can you hit 4.3k on one account and can't even reach masters on another account? If you play at a 4.3k level, masters shouldn't be that hard.

Goodie looks like im placing Diamond this season despite ending last at 3700. Had 3 wins, followed by a draw, followed by 3 matches of pure stupidity and throwing

Nevermind, like 3 of my matches were against all Plat teams but I won my last 2 and ranked 3661.

Any PC people having problems when trying to join games. When I try to join, my game is freezing. I can go to the practice range and that seems fine, but once I join a game and am on the character select screen, it freezes after a couple seconds every time, and I have to restart my computer. Is it just me?

Paltheos

Pretty good today. Hit a new season high - 3165. Yay.
I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but I'll say it again: Zen is the best. By far my most consistent hero in comp (I solo queue). I don't feel comfortable with him on every map, but on the ones that I do: wonderful. I'm... 10-3-1 with him so far this season. Checking my stats... I'm doing better than I thought. >_>

Br2i5wn.png

Any PC people having problems when trying to join games. When I try to join, my game is freezing. I can go to the practice range and that seems fine, but once I join a game and am on the character select screen, it freezes after a couple seconds every time, and I have to restart my computer. Is it just me?

Just you, man. My game tripped over itself trying to upload a highlight, but no problems in actual gameplay (and my issue was resolved with a simple reset).

Just you, man. My game tripped over itself trying to upload a highlight, but no problems in actual gameplay (and my issue was resolved with a simple reset).

Well, I figured it out at least. I turned off my audio mixer, which is what I have my mic plugged into, and the game worked fine. So something changed with it that caused my problem, now I just have to figure out why.

Veelk

Banned
Jesus, Rogue murdered Kungarna in contenders. I've never seen a hold before the gate in Eichenwalde even opened last that long.

Sygma

How can you hit 4.3k on one account and can't even reach masters on another account? If you play at a 4.3k level, masters shouldn't be that hard.

I only play Ana and Zen on my main, solo queue. I had a lot of matches around 3500 where I had to fight gms / top 500 when I could go masters, like, repeatedly so it didn't really help either.

But seriously, Mercy. Mercy is your answer

Jesus, Rogue murdered Kungarna in contenders. I've never seen a hold before the gate in Eichenwalde even opened last that long.

They're the only team they managed to beat like they should. They wont go through Envy, and Envision is doubtful too

Cappa

Banned
I only play Ana and Zen on my main, solo queue. I had a lot of matches around 3500 where I had to fight gms / top 500 when I could go masters, like, repeatedly so it didn't really help either.

They're the only team they managed to beat like they should. They wont go through Envy, and Envision is doubtful too

whats your main and alt account names?

caesar

Banned

Zen is super easy to climb with, you must be having the worst matches imaginable. I'm low GM and can pretty much sleepwalk to Masters on any hero.

AbaFadi

Banned

Zen is super easy to climb with, you must be having the worst matches imaginable. I'm low GM and can pretty much sleepwalk to Masters on any hero.

You must have the worst luck in the game I guess. My main is 4.3k on pc right now. I've had mutliple accounts hit gm at this point without putting in a lot of effort. I mean some games are rough, but eventually you should be able to climb to whatever rank you belong at if you keep playing.

fhqwhgads

Lost 100 points in one session. It's true what they say, never play competitive on the weekend because all the shit players come out the woodwork. Really getting tired of every game being a DPS fest because dive is still really popular and the Junk buff means he's in every goddamn match now.

Lost 100 points in one session. It's true what they say, never play competitive on the weekend because all the shit players come out the woodwork. Really getting tired of every game being a DPS fest because dive is still really popular and the Junk buff means he's in every goddamn match now.
Monday - Thursday are great days.

It really is a test of patience playing this game. It's wearing me very thin.

The amount of feeding, troll picks/bad compositing, and general lack of game sense from most players around 2400 make it nearly impossible to climb. Like, sure, I can carry my way out of this rank with some resemblance of support, but the sheer amount of fuckery you deal with in these games is too much to overcome it seems.

Chance

Spent almost all my time last night doing 4v4 deathmatch in a duo, and I think we only lost 1 game - it was incredible. At the end of the session I went 18 and 0 in Hanamura, and had beat down the enemy Doomfist so bad he stopped shooting at us and just stood there while I took off his last 90 HP with three melees to the face. Just stood there, crouch spamming.

I ended up silver on elims because our Roadhog was an absolute beast.

D.Va, Roadhog, my friend on Lucio and me on Tracer. It was sublime.

I learned last season that playing on the weekends is without a doubt worse than late night during the week. Still holds true today, played 2 games one had a widow that refused to play anything else and the other was just a shit show.

im down 130sr. since friday LOL. let me stop until monday.

Chance

New clip show!

https://vimeo.com/234145838

All these games are from last night, cut together quickly this afternoon. Had SO much fun in 4v4.

Edit: That's weeeird. If I click the link on my phone, it goes to the vid. If I click the link on my PC, it goes to the Vimeo pro page. If I paste the URL into a new browser tab, it goes to the video.

That's F'd up.

Veelk

Banned
I'm so happy that Junkrat is meta now on the pro-level. It makes the matches so much more fun to watch.

Now they just need to basically do the same to Mei, Torbjorn, Orisa, and Roadhog we'll be in our most balanced meta yet.

Blues1990

I'm so happy that Junkrat is meta now on the pro-level. It makes the matches so much more fun to watch.

Now they just need to basically do the same to Mei, Torbjorn, Orisa, and Roadhog we'll be in our most balanced meta yet.

Torbjorn's critical headbox needs a reduction, and I can already list a number of changes that can make Mei into more of an anti-flanker/Defense Hero than a character that simply stalls.

As for Orisa, I can't think of anything, as she's in a pretty solid spot.

Roadhog is dead, Jim.

Veelk

Banned
Torbjorn's critical headbox needs a reduction, and I can already list a number of changes that can make Mei into more of an anti-flanker/Defense Hero than a character that simply stalls.

The best buff they can give Torbjorn is letting him build his turret faster. His advantage comes from the fact that his turret basically makes a 6v6.5. The thing is, once he or his turret are taken down, it's so difficult for him to come back into the fight. And a faster build time would make him way less of a liability on attack too. That, in addition to a few QoL changes I'd make to him(including the critbox reduction), are what I'd want to see.

As for Orisa, I can't think of anything, as she's in a pretty solid spot.

She is for the most part, but her ult is about to be made redundant and I think she could use just a tiny bit more of an edge. A lot of people want to give her a mobility ability, but failing that, I'd give her another 100 HP to make her more durable since she's pretty easy to kill right now and she doesn't seem like she's the type of tank that would be on the lower end of HP anyway. And that might seem like a huge buff, but with how stationary and large she is, it might be what she needs.

Roadhog is dead, Jim.

People continue to hate the new hog on forums. My hope is that at some point, someone at blizzard will just realize they've made a mistake and revert everything.

Blues1990

The best buff they can give Torbjorn is letting him build his turret faster. His advantage comes from the fact that his turret basically makes a 6v6.5. The thing is, once he or his turret are taken down, it's so difficult for him to come back into the fight. And a faster build time would make him way less of a liability on attack too. That, in addition to a few QoL changes I'd make to him(including the critbox reduction), are what I'd want to see.

Couldn't said it better myself.

She is for the most part, but her ult is about to be made redundant and I think she could use just a tiny bit more of an edge. A lot of people want to give her a mobility ability, but failing that, I'd give her another 100 HP to make her more durable since she's pretty easy to kill right now and she doesn't seem like she's the type of tank that would be on the lower end of HP anyway. And that might seem like a huge buff, but with how stationary and large she is, it might be what she needs.

A 100 HP in armour would do the trick, but I'm curious why players want Orisa to have a mobile ability?

People continue to hate the new hog on forums. My hope is that at some point, someone at blizzard will just realize they've made a mistake and revert everything.

Yeah, most players don't respect a Roadhog anymore, nevermind his hook. I mean, the development team had the right intention, but they basically butchered Roadhog to near uselessness. It was dumb that he could de-mech D.Va in two shots or kill Winston in three, but I'm still in the belief he needs to one-shot 200 HP (and below) heroes.

And no thoughts on Mei? For me, I would like the following to be added (but not all at once). Maybe 2-3 of these. + the top one since that's a bug fix:

• Mei's Blizzard now activates as soon as it touches the ground. (It sometimes gets stuck under the payload and has a huge delay)
  • Cryo-Freeze fully reloads her weapon when activated
  • Cryo-Freeze cooldown now set to 10 seconds when cancelled
  • Ice Wall cooldown now set to 6 seconds when cancelled
  • Blizzard now gives allies within the radius 10 healing per second
  • Blizzard now resets Mei's cooldowns on activation

Veelk

Banned
A 100 HP in armour would do the trick, but I'm curious why players want Orisa to have a mobile ability?

It's weird that she has 4 legs while being one of the slowest characters in the game. You'd think the pony would be able to run a bit.

Yeah, most players don't respect a Roadhog anymore, nevermind his hook. I mean, the development team had the right intention, but they basically butchered Roadhog to near uselessness. It was dumb that he could de-mech D.Va in two shots or kill Winston in three, but I'm still in the belief he needs to one-shot 200 HP (and below) heroes.

Eh. As D.Va, I feel like I killed Roadhog atleast 40% of the time.

Blizzard makes good or understandable design decisions 90% of the time, but when they fuck up, they fuck up baaaaaad. And this happens to be what they did with Roadhog.

And no thoughts on Mei? For me, I would like the following to be added (but not all at once):

I don't play enough Mei to have a real opinion on how to improve her. I'm trying to play her more though.

Top Bottom