• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter on PS5: Bets on 2020 launch now, PS4 Pro to become "default PS4"

onQ123

I think any information about PS5 at this time is mostly just distractions to cast a shadow over Xbox One X. I'm sure there is real information out there but most of this stuff just seem like people are making news out of nothing just based off of the fact that Sony is going to make a PS5 at some point.

My mama even called me the other day asking me if I seen the PS5 that's coming out in 2019 SMH. I had to tell her it was fake & that people are just making up stuff.

thelastword

Banned
Wow, a video without any actual source saying something vague.
Where is Pachter's source? I don't think anybody is going to reveal sources at this time.....A PS5 is two years away and the person would probably get fired or ninja'd if they knew.....This is how rumors, or unconfirmed reports and tidbits have been done about all new consoles or pending tech for millenia....

If Sony had a new AAA studio it would have to be public to get hires.
They could have taken persons from closed studios to form a new one with new direction.....It could very well be that the studio is not fully fledged yet....

Eh, Maybe they decided to buy RAD afterall, or RAD's owner decided to sell...Yet, I think everybody knows that PS5 is in the works and by extension there would be titles in dev too...

thelastword

Banned
16nm...yeah...

Hahaha.

tibs.gif

12-16GB for next-gen? GTFO!
Tbh, I think the specs will be better. I mean we can't expect specs to be locked atm, but the expected date and the games in the works are definitely plausible...

horkrux

This discrete GPU article got posted again? Why do people keep giving it any attention? Poorly sourced, little credibility, and a discrete GPU has zero advantages over a custom APU while adding to manufacturing cost and heat output.

"zero advantages" lol
you're implying they can make the APU as big as they want with no negatives

It would be really nice if they didn't have to enslave themselves to AMD for another generation. Especially when the GPU they would have to use would still be called "Vega"
But they'll probably cheapen just cheapen out on the CPU again and slap an APU in there. Discrete GPU is a wet dream of mine

thelastword

Banned
My mama even called me the other day asking me if I seen the PS5 that's coming out in 2019 SMH. I had to tell her it was fake & that people are just making up stuff.
Well at this point, I don't think you will get an offical word about PS5, even Pachter's bets are just that, just bets...He may have some inkling or have spoken with a source or two and the guy from this video as well, but nobody is going to name a source or confirm for you the specs of a console landing in 2019/20 .......>However, games in development and the expected "date ballpark" are pretty much on the money...

c0de

Where is Pachter's source? I don't think anybody is going to reveal sources at this time.....A PS5 is two years away and the person would probably get fired or ninja'd if they knew.....This is how rumors, or unconfirmed reports and tidbits have been done about all new consoles or pending tech for millenia....

So you agree it's a video based on belief and not on facts. With that, his 11 patrons will not get higher. This could be any random guy from every random forum making a video.
Actually, if this would've been posted, people would rightfully call him out with "tales from your ass".

PS5 will be 2020 at the earliest. They won't wanna give up this generation, and the base hardware can still push impressive visuals at a solid 30fps.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
"zero advantages" lol
you're implying they can make the APU as big as they want with no negatives

It would be really nice if they didn't have to enslave themselves to AMD for another generation. Especially when the GPU they would have to use would still be called "Vega"
But they'll probably cheapen just cheapen out on the CPU again and slap an APU in there. Discrete GPU is a wet dream of mine
What advantages does a discreet GPU have over an APU for console design and manufacturing? It hasn’t limited the GPU on something like the Xbox One X.

AmyS

PS5 - Fall 2020 in North America, UK and EU.

Early 2021 in Japan and rest of the world.

7nm node but maybe 7nm+ (depends on TSMC, GloFo. TSMC has been the choice for current mid-gen consoles)

PS5 will use a pretty damn beefy APU - but an APU it will be, not a discreet GPU.

8 core / 16 thread Zen 2 mobile-like CPU @ ~3 GHz

12~14 TFlop semi-custom GPU, a mix of Navi and Next Gen architecture / features

32GB RAM. Probably GDDR_ type rather than HBM_type RAM to keep costs down. But either way, not less than 32GB.

128GB BDXL

Devs will be free to use PS5's power to do whatever they want in terms of graphics complexity, frame rate and resolution.Though PS5 hardware is built to handle native 4K reasonably well. Alternatively, CBR and other techniques can still be used to save GPU for better performance.

What advantages does a discreet GPU have over an APU for console design and manufacturing? It hasn’t limited the GPU on something like the Xbox One X.
A discrete CPU/GPU setup allows for a higher transistor budget (more/better CPU cores, more GPU CUs, higher clocks).

I see what you did there. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

camac002

~14 teraflops at 2160 checkerboarded would be amazing. Screw native. People should support smart solutions like these on console.

For people who would know, is it possible to get a rough idea of the performance multiplier of the expected processor compared to the current Jag?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Early 2021 in Japan and rest of the world.

7nm node but maybe 7nm+ (depends on TSMC, GloFo. TSMC has been the choice for current mid-gen consoles)

PS5 will use a pretty damn beefy APU - but an APU it will be, not a discreet GPU.

8 core / 16 thread Zen 2 mobile-like CPU @ ~3 GHz

12~14 TFlop semi-custom GPU, a mix of Navi and Next Gen architecture / features

32GB RAM. Probably GDDR_ type rather than HBM_type RAM to keep costs down. But either way, not less than 32GB.

128GB BDXL

Devs will be free to use PS5's power to do whatever they want in terms of graphics complexity, frame rate and resolution.Though PS5 hardware is built to handle native 4K reasonably well. Alternatively, CBR and other techniques can still be used to save GPU for better performance.

I think that is way too late for PS4 as a platform, that would be 7 years since the original model and 4 years since the Pro revision. I do not think the PS4 will be powerful and relevant enough in 2020/2021 to propel the sales of PS5 properly. Since when is it advisable to launch a successor only when the current product is dead and almost forgotten?

THE:MILKMAN

I think that is way too late for PS4 as a platform, that would be 7 years since the original model and 4 years since the Pro revision. I do not think the PS4 will be powerful and relevant enough in 2020/2021 to propel the sales of PS5 properly. Since when is it advisable to launch a successor only when the current product is dead and almost forgotten?

I agree 20/21 does seem too late but on the other hand 2019 seems too early if 7nm is a lock to be used?

Leaving aside PS4 Pro (much lower volume), what console has launched the same year as a brand new/cutting edge node? I think even Nvidia will be 2019 at the earliest for 7nm given 12nm Volta is likely early 2018 even with their high margin/low volume chips so can't see Sony being able to launch a consumer friendly priced, high volume console in the same year?

Really confusing situation right now....

Laplasakos

So i was wondering about something and wanted to know what the other members think about this.

Do you think that some PS5 games will be compatibile with PS4 Pro? Only PS4 Pro, not base PS4. Sony made it pretty clear that Pro would not get any exclusive PS4 games but what about some early PS5 games? Nintendo basically doing this right now, with some games being exclusive to new 3DS and not the older 3DS.

The God

So i was wondering about something and wanted to know what the other members think about this.

Do you think that some PS5 games will be compatibile with PS4 Pro? Only PS4 Pro, not base PS4. Sony made it pretty clear that Pro would not get any exclusive PS4 games but what about some early PS4 games? Nintendo basically doing this right now, with some games being exclusive to new 3DS and not the older 3DS.

That's what this whole thread is about

c0de

Do you think that some PS5 games will be compatibile with PS4 Pro? Only PS4 Pro, not base PS4. Sony made it pretty clear that Pro would not get any exclusive PS4 games but what about some early PS4 games? Nintendo basically doing this right now, with some games being exclusive to new 3DS and not the older 3DS.

I don't think forward compatibility is something that you can expect when ps5 arrives.

geordiemp

My opninion, there will be Ryzen CPU games and Jaguar games, there will be a massive gulf.

Or you will get 30 FPS on Ps4 family (Pro having better graphics over OG Ps4), and 60 FPS on Ps5 is what I would guess as devs want all sales..

High AI / lots of enemies....and 60 FPS open world would not run on this gen, be it pro or XB1.

I don't, I think it would make the messaging confusing when starting a new generation and any forwards compatibility would constrain developers on the new hardware. They would have to take the pro's CPU/Memory into account which would complicate things.

Renekton

My opninion, there will be Ryzen CPU games and Jaguar games, there will be a massive gulf.

Or you will get 30 FPS on Ps4 family (Pro having better graphics), and 60 FPS on Ps5 is what I would guess as devs want all sales..
Devs have to seriously compromise their design ambitions to meet Jaguar 30fps.

Do you think that some PS5 games will be compatibile with PS4 Pro? Only PS4 Pro, not base PS4. Sony made it pretty clear that Pro would not get any exclusive PS4 games but what about some early PS5 games? Nintendo basically doing this right now, with some games being exclusive to new 3DS and not the older 3DS.

No.

geordiemp

I don't, I think it would make the messaging confusing when starting a new generation and any forwards compatibility would constrain developers on the new hardware. They would have to take the pro's CPU/Memory into account which would complicate things.

But ps4, Ps4pro and ps5 are / will be just PC's with different levels of CPU / GPU.

Its not that confusing really, I put a game in my ps4 or ps4 pro and its seamless.

AAA devs aim games at infinite levels of hardware power today on PC, I really cant see an issue.

Devs are already constrained today between a Ps4 and a I7 / Titan X, but they manage.

Leyasu

Banned
Holiday 2019 confirmed

12TF GPU
HBM2/3 RAM
Ryzen CPU

Cyberpunk Launch Title
Anthem Launch Title
TLOU2 Launch Title

How much?? I particularly remember you in Scorpio threads pouring cold water on everything, yet you are in here posting this lol

9-10tf gpu
16g gddr5x
Ryzen cpu

450$€ 400£

Laplasakos

Or you will get 30 FPS on Ps4 family (Pro having better graphics over OG Ps4), and 60 FPS on Ps5 is what I would guess as devs want all sales..

High AI / lots of enemies....and 60 FPS open world would not run on this gen, be it pro or XB1.

Yeah this makes sense.

Ok.

Thanks for the fast replies, everyone!

Renekton

Devs are already constrained today between a Ps4 and a I7 / Titan X, but they manage.
Only if "managing" means compromised scope in games for the weak CPUs and RAM.

When PS4 was just Orbis, Todd Howard already talked of buildings being seamless with the outside world. That may remain unfeasible until they are no longer contrained by Jaguar.

geordiemp

Only if "managing" means compromised scope in games for the weak CPUs and RAM.

When PS4 was just Orbis, Todd Howard already talked of buildings being seamless with the outside world. That may remain unfeasible until they are no longer contrained by Jaguar.

Oh I agree, too many open worlds with dumb enemies and empty, or both. Its time, Jaguar needs to die.

FGanz

Neo Member
I’d bet on TLoU2 being one of the last releases for the PS4, later getting a remastered version for the PS5, so essentially like the first game. That’d be great because at that point the devs will probably be very skilled and experienced with the system, using all its power without leaving lots of people out with a PS5 only release.

Magwik

Banned
I'm really curious to see how Sony handles a PS5 considering the lukewarm reaction and support of the Pro. The PS4/X1 are probably going to stick around a lot longer than we may think.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
But ps4, Ps4pro and ps5 are / will be just PC's with different levels of CPU / GPU.

Its not that confusing really, I put a game in my ps4 or ps4 pro and its seamless.

AAA devs aim games at infinite levels of hardware power today on PC, I really cant see an issue.

Yes, designing mostly around what Xbox One and PS4 can do and then (IMHO underutilising) use the much much more powerful CPU cores and GPU and extra RAM by upping resolution for screen, texture, and effects as well as implementing more brute force effects to give some boost to IQ.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm really curious to see how Sony handles a PS5 considering the lukewarm reaction and support of the Pro. The PS4/X1 are probably going to stick around a lot longer than we may think.

Reception of iterative consoles and support from developers was to be expected... little incentive in pushing them hard, developers put minimal R&D efforts in.

TLZ

Banned

Iterative vs Next Gen.

Not the same.

I’d bet on TLoU2 being one of the last releases for the PS4, later getting a remastered version for the PS5, so essentially like the first game. That’d be great because at that point the devs will probably be very skilled and experienced with the system, using all its power without leaving lots of people out with a PS5 only release.

I agree, just with the twist that the PS4 edition will be playable on PS5 from the get-go but Sony is going to offer an additional boost patch.

goonergaz

Iterative vs Next Gen.

Not the same.

Indeed, it will be interesting to see XOX sales but I'm expecting nothing like a new console even tho it;s a big jump.

I still believe new gens need new games, exclusives. There's no chance LoU2 will be one of the last PS4 games - I'm still hopeful of a PS5 in 2019 but the least I expect is news from Sony.

Anyone who thinks the pro will be thbe default console before or even when the ps5 launches is frankly stupid or wishful thinking so their games play and look better on the pro.

goonergaz

Anyone who thinks the pro will be thbe default console before or even when the ps5 launches is frankly stupid or wishful thinking so their games play and look better on the pro.

I think the thought process is that Sony will only ever allow for 2 options, it makes sense that when PS5 launches OPS4 is phased out so consumer has choice of PS4Pro or PS5.

I wouldn't even be surprised if they retire the PS4 Pro at PS5 launch, provided that the PS5 has full backwards compatibility, so that they can focus on making the PS4 even cheaper, to chase those PS2 numbers in emerging markets.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
PS5 is coming 2020 at the earliest

This wont happen

Holiday 2019

12TF GPU
18 - 20 GBHBM2/3 RAM
4/8 core low power laptop Ryzen based CPU
$499

because It wont be needed

this Gen we had cross gen ports from 3rd parties for the first year, and next gen its going to be even more extreme because of the PS4pro and 1X, Yes Sony would be able to blow our pants off with a couple of there first party exclusives but 3rd parties will be making games on the pro and 1x( and maybe even the original ps4 and xbox one) until at least 2021.

If Microsoft release something in 2019 it makes more sense for sony to because that will give 3rd parties more incentive to switch over to next gen only development.

Which ever company launches a substantial length of time before the other is at a disadvantage, yes the hardcore will buy it and it will be great to play next gen exclusives and the best looking 3rd party games, but 3rd parties will be available on the last gen systems and next year the competitions next gen console will release and will be even more powerful and by then 3rd parties will be starting to release next gen only games.

Another reason for this is that the tech in game engines in UE4,IDT6, frostbite etc are far more salable, These game engines are capable now of making next gen games and can be scaled down to probably ps4 levels.

anothertech

How much?? I particularly remember you in Scorpio threads pouring cold water on everything, yet you are in here posting this lol

9-10tf gpu
16g gddr5x
Ryzen cpu

450$€ 400£
It's the timing. Ryzen wasn't happening for Xbonx in 2017. That's the only thing I was pouring cold water on (as we see here, for good reason),
Edit: Actually I also said MS wouldn't price the Xbonx lower than the launch Xbone, $499 being the lowest. And I was right about that as well.

Everything I posted is possible Holiday 2019 for the PS5.
$499

The important part about that launch that I posted though -
Cyberpunk Launch Title
Anthem Launch Title
TLOU2 Launch Title

Think about that.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It's the timing. Ryzen wasn't happening for Xbonx in 2017. That's the only thing I was pouring cold water on (as we see here, for good reason),
Edit: Actually I also said MS wouldn't price the Xbonx lower than the launch Xbone, $499 being the lowest. And I was right about that as well.

Everything I posted is possible Holiday 2019 for the PS5.
$499

The important part about that launch that I posted though -
Cyberpunk Launch Title
Anthem Launch Title
TLOU2 Launch Title

Think about that.

So , do you think if the ps5 did release in 2019 it would only have cross gen exclusives?If that is the case it would feel more like the pro/1x's launch rather then a next gen launch.

Renekton

NahaNago

I'm really hoping now that its in 2019 with backwards compatibility and upgrading the resolution of ps4 games. 7 years just seems to far away and this gen honestly just feels like simply a a half way gen to the real deal.

Toni

Holiday 2019 confirmed

12TF GPU
HBM2/3 RAM
Ryzen CPU

Cyberpunk Launch Title
Anthem Launch Title
TLOU2 Launch Title

12 Teraflops is a pipe dream thats never going to materialize.

The objective is be under $399 and turning a profit from the first month of realease window.

Sony is going to go to all ends to replicate a healthy PS4-like success from the get go by releasing the thing making dough from the very start.

A 9.5 to 9.8 Teraflops GPU with a beefy Ryzen CPU will be what we can realistically get to push the medium while retaining profitability on hardware and software.

Fully Backwards compatible with PS4
9TF GPU
3 to 3.5 Ryzen CPU
20 to 32 GB of GDDR5 of ram
1 TB hardrive
Holiday 2020 release. PS Meeting Announcement early 2020.

Then follow up a year later with an 11 or 12 Teraflops PS5 Pro so that there isnt such a gap in sales between the base model and Pro model. Which I firmly believe is a mistake that Sony made this gen regarding the next-gen console refreshes.

Top Bottom