• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 49, 2012

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
...I've just noticed that, if it's true, Wii U first week in France is on par with UK. Asking again: what was Wii's French debut?

DrWong

France numbers seem ok for this price-point like I expected, not Wii-level, but anyway.

Google Translate says that it sold 45.000 in the first weekend and 65.000 in the following week (that's LTD of 110.000 units).

The wording isn't precise, it could be 65k total. I think DrWong asked them on twitter though, we shall know soon enough.

If it is 110k total then it's pretty good but I'm not sure that is the case.

That sounds pretty fishy. Probably it means 65k in it's first two weeks.
How did Wii debut in France?

It sounds more like that from my rusty French... are there native French speakers to translate?
COD Vita. Still pretty dead.

It's 45k first week and 65k by the end of the second week, not 65k in the second week.

We don't know yet (and I'm a native Fr speaker) and the wording doesn't confirm it. It's why I asked on Tweeter.

The article says Wii did 90K for the launch day. Other comparison point: 360 took 2 month (end of January 2005) to reach 100K.

m.i.s.

Banned
Them COD on Vita TV adverts get lots of airplay in the UK. Sony really did think this would be a game changer.

I'm thinking SCE, at this point, would be prepared to throw anything at the wall in the hope that something sticks. After all, it is in the run-up to Xmas and the busiest shopping period of the year.

Don't they show the PSV swivelling in view of the PS3 though? Marketing both devices in one ad?

herod

If so it should be outselling the Wii U this week, that's got to count for something.

neither system is exclusively bundled though, pretty unsafe logic (although to be expected given the crazy pricedrops on Vita recently, it must be around half the price of Wii U now).

herod

I'm thinking SCE, at this point, would be prepared to throw anything at the wall in the hope that something sticks. After all, it is in the run-up to Xmas and the busiest shopping period of the year.

Don't they show the PSV swivelling in view of the PS3 though? Marketing both devices in one ad?

A large indie shop owner told me his biggest shopping day is 27th December. I'd imagine that's even more likely for the major retailers as they will have more widespread gift voucher sales.

Was there a sale last week or something? It didn't even chart the previous week yet rose to 31 the next week.

Really big marketing campaign. All I see are Vita adverts and the Book of Spells adverts.

Oh, again, Wonderbook: Book of Spells > Nintendo Land.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
WiiU looks plenty fucked. Either Nintendo will slash the price savagely, or give up on the UK market and maybe even Europe entirely.

madmackem

WiiU looks plenty fucked. Either Nintendo will slash the price savagely, or give up on the UK market and maybe even Europe entirely.

Dont be silly, people are reading way too much into games charting. Selective memory its was the same the start of last gen and will be the same when the next ones launch current gen games will push new gen games out of the charts for sometime because of the install base.

Madouu

Got an answer from the journalist: it's 65K Wii U sold in total.

Makes sense, thanks! Not a bad number for the french market in my opinion, but nothing stellar neither. I'd say it's good so far but we got to see how it will be doing in the long run.

One thing is for certain, the casuals don't seem to care about this one at all. I've seen next to no mainstream buzz about it, certainly nothing close to what the Wii had.

I guess they might have to hope that the hardcore can sustain them again, a la Gamecube.

Dont be silly, people are reading way too much into games charting. Selective memory its was the same the start of last gen and will be the same when the next ones launch current gen games will push new gen games out of the charts for sometime because of the install base.

In the UK charts the position of Nintendo Land gives us a pretty good indication of the hardware sales (at least the deluxe model, which has been most popular). I'm assuming that's what's being discussed here.

Got an answer from the journalist: it's 65K Wii U sold in total.
So we probably have 300.000 Wii U's across whole Europe by now.

The french article mentions that the Wii managed this much in it's first two days in Europe.

One thing is for certain, the casuals don't seem to care about this one at all. I've seen next to no mainstream buzz about it, certainly nothing close to what the Wii had.

I guess they might have to hope that the hardcore can sustain them again, a la Gamecube.
It's not like that the first two weeks are the definitive answer from the mainstream market, this thing is going to be several years on the market and I suppose that Nintendo won't just let it die. ;)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ah ah! Brilliant analysis...

Oh I'm sorry, what is the reality then? That this is absolutely fine in the strongest shopping season of the year and Nintendoland, the bundled game is about to seemingly exit the chart? That Pikmin 3 is going to drive sales skyward, or a Platinum Games new IP? Realistically you've got E3 in June, and I doubt they're ready to Sega Saturn a new 3D big main Mario or Zelda right after, and I dont think people are going to be falling over themselves for Wii Fit U when those people can already derive all thats needed from their dusty closet Wii's already. This looks to be far worse than the 3DS and that got a price slash, so... ?

It's not like that the first two weeks are the definitive answer from the mainstream market, this thing is going to be several years on the market and I suppose that Nintendo won't just let it die. ;)

Not definitive, no, but you can't artificially replicate the sheer power of basically every media outlet in the country discussing your product at length.

The Wii had so much coverage at launch that almost everyone (that wasn't in a cave) at least knew it existed. You'd be hard pressed to find people that know much about the Wii U at all unless they're a hardcore gamer or happen to watch one of the few channels where Nintendo advertised.

Pie and Beans

The UK? I honestly don't know. You tell me. ;)

I will Mr Winky Face. The UK market is purchasing Wonderbook bundles above Nintendoland bundles, and then also spending most Christmas bux on cutting edge smartphones and tablets because theyre the new shiny must have tech. Nintendo failed to realise they werent just falling behind and dropping out of the tech war in the living room with Microsoft and Sony, but now also Apple, Asus/Google, and Samsung.

Madouu

Not definitive, no, but you can't artificially replicate the sheer power of basically every media outlet in the country discussing your product at length.

The Wii had so much coverage at launch that almost everyone (that wasn't in a cave) at least knew it existed. You'd be hard pressed to find people that know much about the Wii U at all unless they're a hardcore gamer or happen to watch one of the few channels where Nintendo advertised.

Yup and this is precisely why I find this launch interesting. The marketing (and this is excluding general media coverage) has been very mild compared to the wii and it does seem to be a deliberate move from Nintendo. Will this result in an utter failure or a grand success (or anything in between really) in the long term is going to be fascinating to see. At least for me.

So we probably have 300.000 Wii U's across whole Europe by now.

The french article mentions that the Wii managed this much in it's first two days in Europe.
How so?

The Wii did 325K across Europe at launch weekend. Of that 105K were UK, and presumably 90K were France for a total of 195K of that 325K.

If said ratios held that would put the Wii U at something like 220K as at the end of the second week of tracking.

The funny part is that the average Japanese household has tons of buying power. They just don't exercise it out of frugality.

The UK? I honestly don't know. You tell me. ;)

Buying power in the UK is the third highest in the world of the large economies, after the US and Japan.

The failure of the Wii U is not to do with the poor economic conditions, it is all to do with it being an undesirable product. The UK has the largest consumer market in the EU despite having a population 20m smaller than Germany, the most populous country in the EU. We have a trade deficit with the EU of £30bn per year because we are the biggest consumers of goods.

If people are trying to pin the failure of the Wii U on the economy, then they need to explain how other premium products (iPad, Nexus 4, 10, Sony's £20k 84" TV is sold out before release) are checking in record sales and why stores like John Lewis are experiencing 10% year on year revenue growth in their premium products. The two are mutually exclusive, either the economy is shit and sales are down across the board, or it's the Wii U that's shit and no one wants one. All of the evidence points to the latter, at least in the UK.

cvxfreak

I will Mr Winky Face. The UK market is purchasing Wonderbook bundles above Nintendoland bundles, and then also spending most Christmas bux on cutting edge smartphones and tablets because theyre the new shiny must have tech. Nintendo failed to realise they werent just falling behind and dropping out of the tech war in the living room with Microsoft and Sony, but now also Apple, Asus/Google, and Samsung.

Yeah, we're just spending it all on Wonderbooks and iPads.

What you two have mentioned goes on in every other country in the developed world. They just happen to buy Wii Us as well.

Sounds more to me like the UK gaming market is going places the industry doesn't want it to.

It does but not normally so much. Usually like 2-3% ala Halo.

I didn't say they will or even necessarily should do something this early, just that the situation wont improve until they do. And whilst the UK market might not be brilliant atm it certainly isn't in such dire straits that the Wii U it explains or excuses the Wii Us performance there.

The launch in the UK has been below all expectations. Not by a little, by a country mile and then some.

Well, it's barely being stocked by Asda, Tesco et al - by far the biggest gaming retailers in the country (only select branches acknowledge the Wii U's existence). That is problematic and either they don't want to give a new console a nationwide roll-out or Nintendo has decided to prioritise the likes of Game, HMV & online retailers over them. Which would be puzzling to say the least.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I kinda doubt a majority of people are that informed.

you don't need a titanic neogaf post count to see the bead of cold sweat fall from the salesperson's brow when you ask why you should buy your little ernie this thing when he's already got an xbox.

"pikmin? is that the new halo game?"

Well, it's barely being stocked by the biggest gaming retailers in the country (only select branches). That is problematic and either they don't want to give a new console a nationwide roll-out or Nintendo has decided to prioritise the likes of Game, HMV & online retailers over them. Which would be puzzling to say the least.

do you know a single person who wants a wii u who hasn't been able to get one? because i can direct them to one of the numerous mounds piling up around the confused demo booths i see every day.

Pie and Beans

Sounds more to me like the UK gaming market is going places the industry doesn't want to.

I assume by "industry" you mean "the people that make those Mario games" and not the entire rest of that thar chart, fellah. Because I sure as shit don't see devs all around the world plunging their fists into the tight orifice that is WiiU development. UK market is still going to want their COD, Assassins Creed, Forza, Halo, and so on, and theyre going to get that in the next gen boxes set to trundle along late next year, early 14.

Buying power in the UK is the third highest in the world of the large economies, after the US and Japan.

The failure of the Wii U is not to do with the poor economic conditions, it is all to do with it being an undesirable product. The UK has the largest consumer market in the EU despite having a population 20m smaller than Germany, the most populous country in the EU. We have a trade deficit with the EU of £30bn per year because we are the biggest consumers of goods.

If people are trying to pin the failure of the Wii U on the economy, then they need to explain how other premium products (iPad, Nexus 4, 10, Sony's £20k 84" TV is sold out before release) are checking in record sales and why stores like John Lewis are experiencing 10% year on year revenue growth in their premium products. The two are mutually exclusive, either the economy is shit and sales are down across the board, or it's the Wii U that's shit and no one wants one. All of the evidence points to the latter, at least in the UK.
economic situation in the UK being better than Germany? OK.

Sandfox

you don't need a titanic neogaf post count to see the bead of cold sweat fall from the salesperson's brow when you ask why you should buy your little ernie this thing when he's already got an xbox.

"pikmin? is that the new halo game?"

I don't expect the average salesperson to know anything about that either. They will just try to push the product by saying its the newest thing or whatever.

DrWong

Oh I'm sorry, what is the reality then? That this is absolutely fine in the strongest shopping season of the year and Nintendoland, the bundled game is about to seemingly exit the chart? That Pikmin 3 is going to drive sales skyward, or a Platinum Games new IP? Realistically you've got E3 in June, and I doubt they're ready to Sega Saturn a new 3D big main Mario or Zelda right after, and I dont think people are going to be falling over themselves for Wii Fit U when those people can already derive all thats needed from their dusty closet Wii's already. This looks to be far worse than the 3DS and that got a price slash, so... ?

Too soon to state defintive sentences like yours. I mean, it's ok as an opinion/feeling but not as an analysis. Remember it took 2 month for 360 to reach 100K in France (or it "only" did 35K for the same launch period). These partial launch datas doesn't say anything for the future, just for the present. It's not the Wii all over again. OK.

SmokyDave

What you two have mentioned goes on in every other country in the developed world. They just happen to buy Wii Us as well.

Sounds more to me like the UK gaming market is going places the industry doesn't want it to.
I don't think that's the case at all. I think that the consoles we have are long in the tooth and the ones we want aren't out yet. When the next gen consoles hit, wallets will fall open.

Well, it's barely being stocked by the biggest gaming retailers in the country (only select branches). That is problematic and either they don't want to give a new console a nationwide roll-out or Nintendo has decided to prioritise the likes of Game, HMV & online retailers over them. Which would be puzzling to say the least.

Eh? Who are you talking about? There's a ton in stock at every Argos within a 10 mile radius of me.

economic situation in the UK being better than Germany? OK.

In terms of purchasing power, definitely. That was the lens that this is being viewed through, not the wider issues of currency manipulation to drive trade surpluses.

Too soon to state defintive sentences as yours. I mean, it's ok as an opinion/feeling but not as an analysis. Remember it took 2 month for 360 to reach 100K in France (or it "only" did 35K for the same launch period). These partial launch datas doesn't say anything for the future, just for the present. It's not the Wii all over again. OK.

Xbox 360 had massive stock problems all over Europe for months. It is not comparable.

m.i.s.

Banned

Possibly Nintendo UK don't want to get in a competitive pricing situation with the supermarkets as they did with the 3DS. Senior buyers at supermarkets usually ask for preferential rates so that they can compete downwards on price. I guess Nintendo UK weren't interested in that this time around because of their negative profit situation at NCL.

Although bear in mind that the Wii U Premium Pack is being sold for the equivalent of $470 [us dollars] here - I suspect that retailers are getting quite a fat slice of profit from the system.

Apparently the PS3 did 600K at launch weekend across Europe - although with plentiful supply compared to the Wii.

And the heavily supply-constrained Wii did 700K launch month.

cvxfreak

I assume by "industry" you mean "the people that make those Mario games" and not the entire rest of that thar chart, fellah. Because I sure as shit don't see devs all around the world plunging their fists into the tight orifice that is WiiU development. UK market is still going to want their COD, Assassins Creed, Forza, Halo, and so on, and theyre going to get that in the next gen boxes set to trundle along late next year, early 14.

Reading this makes me feel like I've been flung back to the NES/SNES era, when the UK wasn't so enthusiastic about Nintendo. And we all know how awful those two platforms turned out to be.

But okay. I see your point. The UK has smarter, more trendy consumers than other places by rejecting the Wii U and Nintendo as a brand. :)

Pie and Beans

Too soon to state defintive sentences like yours. I mean, it's ok as an opinion/feeling but not as an analysis. Remember it took 2 month for 360 to reach 100K in France (or it "only" did 35K for the same launch period). These partial launch datas doesn't say anything for the future, just for the present. It's not the Wii all over again. OK.

360 was in stock fucko-land, they couldnt make the things fast enough and were skipping corners to even keep up thus all those fucked up RROD boxes. It sold out like a mofo. The thirst for HD gaming arrived bigtime.

This isn't an opinion that the WiiU is in a worse position in the UK, it really is an analysis from these sales and what next year holds. 3DS launched with a spotty lineup but strength coming down the track with Mario 3D Land, MGS3, Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil, and so forth, but even with that upturn on the cards it still necessitated a price drop, and lets face it, it never had anything much to fear from Vita sales. The WiiU in contrast just has a great big question mark on future support (Nintendo's fault), the NSMB bump theyve played partway into a systems life is instead here from launch and having little to no effect, the box is selling seemingly worse in Christmas season, and is staring down the barrel of MS and Sony's next boxes which do pose a serious threat to their business.

If Nintendo's marketing genius was instead to skip going all out this Christmas to get kids and grown-up gamers wanting this box under the Xmas tree, that means they have an entire calendar year until the next go around. So if their masterplan is to sell like shit for an entire year and lose any headstart on the big new shiny "oh my fuck, did you see dose GRAFIX?!?!?!" competitors, then applause all round.

Reading this makes me feel like I've been flung back to the NES/SNES era, when the UK wasn't so enthusiastic about Nintendo. And we all know how awful those two platforms turned out to be.

But okay. I see your point. The UK has smarter, more trendy consumers than other places by rejecting the Wii U and Nintendo as a brand. :)

Dripping in passive aggressiveness smileys are NeoGAF bread and butter. Yeah the UK didnt historically give much of a shit about Mario and i think we went more nuts for Street Fighter 2 and the third party SNES like. So for this launch, yeah maybe you are seeing the reduced effect of nostalgia when Mario games have been shitting out into peoples eyes full force across DS/Wii/3DS and in shop windows the last decade and yielding "Oh. Its Mario, again." responses. You make it sound like the UK is somehow 'wrong' for not adoring Mario and co as much as America or Japan?

Top Bottom