• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey is now mentor for 3 VR accelerators (Tokyo, Seoul, Nordic VR Startups)

Marker007

He funneled money to white supremacist groups. That is full out supporting it.

Which groups were they? I'm not trying to be a strawman. I just honestly can't find names to said groups and I'd like to know more about it so if the guy really is a dipshit I can openly boycott his stuff.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
At the very least, he apparently isn't on board HTC as we feared.

No offense but that's a foolish guess right from the start. He's just one of the guest speakers, and his panel involves another VR developer, which will imply he's there for some on stage discussion. There's no reason nor hint that he was going to announce anything or join HTC. All sorts of FUDs happened and suddenly people thought he's going to make some groundbreaking announcement there.

Pez

Talk about toxic. I have zero interest in what this guy is doing and will actively stay away from whatever he's a part of.

One of the most toxic public figures in the industry beside Pewdidpie.

Somedays, some among us get up, go their PC/phone, crank up The NeoGAF, then think to themselves,

"Today is a good day to defend a filthy rich, goofy, worst-aspects-of-internet-culture-exploiting, bikini-wearing white supremecist and goddammit, I will feel superior about it!"

Johndoey

Banned
Somedays, some among us get up, go their PC/phone, crank up The NeoGAF, then think to themselves,

"Today is a good day to defend a filthy rich, goofy, worst-aspects-of-internet-culture-exploiting, bikini-wearing white supremecist and goddammit, I will feel superior about it!"

People really showing themselves these days.

jobrro

Talk about toxic. I have zero interest in what this guy is doing and will actively stay away from whatever he's a part of.

One of the most toxic public figures in the industry beside Pewdidpie.

Yes. Ew. I would place this guy and the company he keeps worse than PDP even knowing PDP's recent actions.

Somewhat (slightly) liked him around the time the Oculus launched, remember seeing that first delivery and thinking it was cheesy and terrible but also some slight admiration because of ushering in the current stage of VR.

Now I don't think I can touch something he is involved in.

Kurdel

Banned
Seems strange that he is working closely with Asian companies if he is a white supremacist. Maybe he isn't?

White supremacists have fucked up views about asians, how they are smarter than white and black people and their womenfolk are more subservient so they make better mates than white women.

hawk2025

And you're right. He absolutely has not done anything illegal. He's living his life. Some people disagree with how he's doing it and disagree with his passions, but put yourself in his position. If you were set and you didn't align with the majority of the people in your field politically, but at the same time you have I-don't-give-a-fuck-money, of course you're going to speak your mind. Doesn't mean you're wrong, just means maybe the majority of society disagrees with you, and so what. Live your life and speak your mind. Don't let anyone scare you from doing so.

Fu-cking PLEASE.

His first response was to deny and say he was aligned with Johnson. He wasn't speaking his mind -- he was doing the exact opposite: He was covertly supporting a racist campaign.

You know why? Because he's smart enough to know he was supporting a bigoted racist. Because he is also one.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Seems strange that he is working closely with Asian companies if he is a white supremacist. Maybe he isn't?

White supremacist internet memelords being happy to work with Asian companies is probably the least suprising thing.

please tell me the one in pink is a girl

please

Does it matter?
36c67cf603670d027a5a2ed3b04f81a6.png

Titania

Glad he's putting his money/time into something not white supremacy for once, even if it is VR hentai. Still disappointed that someone so garbage is one of the few experts in the field though.

Izcarielo

Banned
Yes. Ew. I would place this guy and the company he keeps worse than PDP even knowing PDP's recent actions.

Somewhat (slightly) liked him around the time the Oculus launched, remember seeing that first delivery and thinking it was cheesy and terrible but also some slight admiration because of ushering in the current stage of VR.

Now I don't think I can touch something he is involved in.

Even if its an awesome new tech VR-related?
You can hate the guy, but come on, tech itself did nothing to deserve this.
Had the nazis created the first car in human history, would you never drive one?

Thud

Obviously his experiences may be invaluable to new startups in VR, but calling a guy like him a mentor is just gross.

Alucrid

Banned

you should have looked at his girlfriend's twitter

Even if its an awesome new tech VR-related?
You can hate the guy, but come on, tech itself did nothing to deserve this.
Had the nazis created the first car in human history, would you never drive one?

sure, the oculus rift itself didn't defend him, but oculus sure did.

Titania

Yoshida again promoting this dumbass. Is he just that willfully ignorant?
Doesn't Yoshida follow that one nutty "the water's turning the friggen frogs gay" guy on twitter, or am I thinking of someone else? I want to doubt it's ignorance, but at this point I don't think I can.

Gator86

I understand the hate, but people have got to understand that in a market so young he's one of the biggest experts when it comes to the market.

Don't go hating on him some more just because some companies are working with him. It's just business.

It goes without saying, but don't go hating on the companies either...

Pass. Turns out I can totally dislike companies that associate with a notable dirtbag. A rare hooray for capitalism. Eat shit each and every company willing to celebrate a piece of shit like Luckey for a chance at profits.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Has anyone actually brought the issues with Palmer Luckey up with Yoshida? I'm guessing he has no clue about him outside of his VR work.

MutFox

Banned
Sometimes when you go to another country,
they don't know your history.
A lot of that information is only in English too...

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Fuck off, Palmer.
Someone also let Shuhei know the history of this dumbass so he stops tweeting about him.
Edit: Yosp follows alex jones? wtf...

L Thammy

This thread is going to be full of people who are surprised and confused that other people have moral standards which supersede video games, isn't it?

Goron2000

best junior ever
Guy is a piece of shit but he is literally the most qualified man in the world to mentor a startup VR business.

I just can't get mad at him because:

1. I just got an OR on sale and I love it.

2. He wants to finance the Rem spin-off anime adaptation.

3. He is dressing as Rem and creating Rem awareness.

4. Helping fellows to do waifu VR games, which I enjoy.

Even Shuhei likes him!

poodaddy

Pass. Turns out I can totally dislike companies that associate with a notable dirtbag. A rare hooray for capitalism. Eat shit each and every company willing to celebrate a piece of shit like Luckey for a chance at profits.
This.
So they just made sure I'd never buy any product those three companies develop. Why would anyone think this would be good PR?
This.
Damn, Luckey stays winning. Good for him.
And fuck this. Hooray for the success of those who fund white supremacy huh? Yeah....good for him....

Ogodei

White supremacists have fucked up views about asians, how they are smarter than white and black people and their womenfolk are more subservient so they make better mates than white women.

Also because they like the homogeneity of East Asian societies (esp. Japan and Korea that have barely any ethnic minorities, let alone people from different racial groups).

Top Bottom