• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paragon Open Beta Thead | PC x PS4

TheRed

His ult seems like Ember Spirit from Dota and I think he'll be really strong since it takes longer to go defend lanes. The 1 game I played yesterday we failed because we didn't go back to defend the side lanes in time from minions pushing and minions pushed and took down our inhibs. I feel like they shouldn't be able to do that so quickly because I reported back but still had to slowly jog all the way over there and it was gone by then. Or I just need to adjust timings and back earlier. We'll see. Only thing I dislike is I hope they bring back the huge orange orbs flying to you at least on enemy kills, now it's just tiny ones and is less satisfying.

Hope he's more unique then Belica. She's great but the skills are exact copies from dota 2 with visual changes so I just don't get excited about her any more.

Mindlog

I hope they do a blog on the recent changes. I want to know the synergy between the travel mode changes and the OP change.

*Much easier to build minion waves now. Great changes on that front.

Yeah, after I found Bellica really, really boring, Kwang looks interesting. Interesting how a bunch of his stuff seems to be AOE auras. I love the "throw sword to tether" thing... I want to figure out the timing/distance so I can tether just *inches* away from the protective cover of their towers as they retreat.

So how is this game? It looks good on PS4 and if there ever been an MOBA to test and try out it would be his one (free, looks good, on console). I fooled around with Smite for a bit and it is fun. I love the auto upgrade/purchase function so I don't have to worry about that mess and just focus on playing.

Are the controls and UI easy to get into in Paragon? MOBAs (and MMOs for that matter) always confuse me with their items, stores and stuff.

Mindlog

Also interesting is that with the smaller variances, fewer games ended in surrender in V.32 … by the largest number of any patch to date.

More Big Changes Coming

We made a lot of the changes without full context to you. That was not how we should have done it. In our haste to get the changes in, we didn’t fully explain the “why.” We’ve said we’re removing Travel Mode a few times, but haven’t said how
Absolute. Full. Overwhelming confidence with the design team. Exactly what I wanted to read.
Also interesting is that with the smaller variances, fewer games ended in surrender in V.32 … by the largest number of any patch to date.
I freely admit when I am wrong. Very surprised by that stat.

Extremely excited by all the info about the new map. I think it's actually not that far off - they've been implying travel mode's removal is soon, and the new map is the replacement for travel mode. I wouldn't be surprised if it's v.33.

Also I'm hype for Kwang.

KOHIPEET

I think I'm done with the game. At lest for a while. The latest patch practically ruined the game for me. I just can't find my place. Mostly defeats, I have no impact on the game. The only character I feel I'm good with is Khaimera. I suck with Gideon, Grim, even with Riktor....

I'm so sad...

Spinluck

I think I'm done with the game. At lest for a while. The latest patch practically ruined the game for me. I just can't find my place. Mostly defeats, I have no impact on the game. The only character I feel I'm good with is Khaimera. I suck with Gideon, Grim, even with Riktor....

I'm so sad...

All you have to do is adapt.

Rebuild your decks, switch up your playstyle. There hasn't been a patch I haven't been able to adjust to.

It might take a few games, but it's doable, not every session will be a winning one.

KOHIPEET

All you have to do is adapt.

Rebuild your decks, switch up your playstyle. There hasn't been a patch I haven't been able to adjust to.

It might take a few games, but it's doable, not every session will be a winning one.

I've been trying to adapt. The main problem is I, for some reason, just don't enjoy the game as much. Perhaps it's because I've played too much I don't know.

(There was a game where I've attacked an Iggy 1on1 with Khaimera, We were both level 10, I had 33 cxp and he had 30, I had full health (also level 4 passive regen), Had decent penetration plus energy armor, and almost fully damage cards. Iggy had 0, ZERO! damage cards, only armor, cooldown, manna no pen. He killed me with ease and still had more than half health left. Even though I've used my ult, jumped on him. Everything.)

Situations like this just kill the fun.

ZeroCoin

I've been trying to adapt. The main problem is I, for some reason, just don't enjoy the game as much. Perhaps it's because I've played too much I don't know.

(There was a game where I've attacked an Iggy 1on1 with Khaimera, We were both level 10, I had 33 cxp and he had 30, I had full health (also level 4 passive regen), Had decent penetration plus energy armor, and almost fully damage cards. Iggy had 0, ZERO! damage cards, only armor, cooldown, manna no pen. He killed me with ease and still had more than half health left. Even though I've used my ult, jumped on him. Everything.)

Situations like this just kill the fun.

Definitely a frustrating situation. I'm assuming that he had tainted magick and used it on you. Remember, that hits you doubly hard as a regen tank. Not only is it a huge power boost for Iggy, the poison also cuts down on your regen rate as well.

I'm firmly in the Iggy needs an adjustment camp. He's barely useful outside of lane pushing without tainted magick, and way too powerful with it. Just like beastmaster's key was gutted for being considered a must have cards for junglers, I think tainted will be getting adjusted for being a must have Iggy card. Hopefully they give him some love to balance it out if that happens.

TheRed

Kwang is good fun. Loving the game getting more diverse. Looking forward to seeing what the next hero brings.

Kalentan

Okay so I decided to play the all bots mode to test out the new character. I will admit, I don't play that often so this was my first time doing the mode.

I'll say this- while yes it was easy enough to win. There were moments of brillance on part of the AI. Like when I'm in right lane fighting and I get flanked by the chain guy who can grab, or when I'm getting red buff, Dekker and Iggi ult on top of me and don't allow me to escape and easily kill me. Then when I was chasing Grux through the jungle and he stopped around a corner and used his ability to bring me to him.

I was just surprised. I'm quite impressed by the AI. Not usually in MOBA.

Mindlog

The bots have been acting weird for me lately. They're Inhib diving while T1 is still up.

One look at Kwang and I immediately built a Satori Cloak bruiser.

Also there is a free theme on PS4. Forgot about that. It looks great.

Well, my brother had been playing this game hardcore, but I had yet to find a character whose aesthetic + gameplay really clicked with me at first. I can be pretty picky especially with MOBA style games where you can be playing the same character for 45-50 mins I get frustrated if it's a character I am just meh on.

However, Kwang really feels like a perfect fit. Had some good luck in drafts with him yesterday so I was able to play him, but still pretty ineffective.

Any links to general card deck builds that are going to be helpful would be appreciated.
Still don't have many cards myself, so something basic that just explains what kind of stuff I need to stack would be nice.

Might get into this game a bit heavier, especially if I can find at least one other alt choice who clicks with me.

ZeroCoin

Well, my brother had been playing this game hardcore, but I had yet to find a character whose aesthetic + gameplay really clicked with me at first. I can be pretty picky especially with MOBA style games where you can be playing the same character for 45-50 mins I get frustrated if it's a character I am just meh on.

However, Kwang really feels like a perfect fit. Had some good luck in drafts with him yesterday so I was able to play him, but still pretty ineffective.

Any links to general card deck builds that are going to be helpful would be appreciated.
Still don't have many cards myself, so something basic that just explains what kind of stuff I need to stack would be nice.

Might get into this game a bit heavier, especially if I can find at least one other alt choice who clicks with me.

No real deck building tips other than give yourself options that you can adjust depending on how the match is going. I usually use agora.gg to build decks. It'll link with your epic account and pull the cards that you have available so you don't build something useless.

Bigger advice would be to ignore how the characters look when trying to find who you want to play. I stayed away from Muriel for the longest time because I hated the way she looked (still do). But she's probably my favorite character in the game. With the amount of tier 2 skins, and eventually higher tiers down the line, in the game, the look can easily be changed up with something better.

Decided to check this out. This is pretty much the first MOBA I've ever played. Man... it is intimidating.

Personally, I think all of the heroes look pretty cool.

alatif113

The new patch reducing tower and core health just breaks the game. First team to lose an inhibitor basically loses the game unless they babysit their core from that point on. It's too easy for the opposing team to rush the core once an inhibitor is down. This also makes heroes like rampage OP because he can practically tower dive with his ULT. Game started going downhill after they took out the defensive dunk.

The new patch reducing tower and core health just breaks the game. First team to lose an inhibitor basically loses the game unless they babysit their core from that point on. It's too easy for the opposing team to rush the core once an inhibitor is down. This also makes heroes like rampage OP because he can practically tower dive with his ULT. Game started going downhill after they took out the defensive dunk.

Just ride it out man, the new map is on the way, 40% smaller than Agora, no travel mode, Orb Prime is set in a room with 1 door in and out, the jungle is not viewable from the lanes, gonna be some amazing ganks/escapes. (this is all from memory from the guys invited)

AnotherNotch has played it at Epic Games' Studio and says its amazing and fixes EVERYTHING wrong with the current game.

They're reversing it

They're reversing it

Yup and I'm so happy. I understand they're trying to make the games faster, but as it is it sucks playing with randoms that don't lane properly. I feel like I almost HAVE to play as Iggy so I can at least cover the middle, even if they double or triple team it.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Gonna be at least 39 heroes overall.

When the Master Founders Pack was available you bought 39 master challenges,

We're adding a new Hero every three weeks for the next... I don't know, a really long time. No end in sight. Production schedule takes us through towards the end of next year. Really important to get the hero count up so people, if they're interested, can get serious about competitive play (no mirror matches, bans, etc.).

Kalentan

We're adding a new Hero every three weeks for the next... I don't know, a really long time. No end in sight. Production schedule takes us through towards the end of next year. Really important to get the hero count up so people, if they're interested, can get serious about competitive play (no mirror matches, bans, etc.).

Yeah, Mirror match ups suck in MOBAs.

Honestly why I hate playing blind pick in League of Legends. Cause then it allows for that to happen (which is crazy that it still does even with so many champs.)

ZeroCoin

Good to see that 39 isn't a final number. Also, big kudos for listening to the community with the rollback of the hp values. Any hints about the Halloween teaser that was dropped today? Don't worry, we can keep secrets.

charsace

The new patch shows that people don't read the map or think strategically. It's annoying that I am trying to Lane only to see the enemy take one of the other lanes because no one is laning. Or u have 4 people in a lane while u have the enemy pushing and taking 2 other lanes. Don't know why it is hard for most people.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Good to see that 39 isn't a final number. Also, big kudos for listening to the community with the rollback of the hp values. Any hints about the Halloween teaser that was dropped today? Don't worry, we can keep secrets.

*stares at the ground, kicks dirt

TheRed

Can't wait for the new map. Excited for blink cards to more effective and more than just a cool novelty since there will be better escape opportunities.

Mindlog

Been playing on a friend's character. Tainted Magick is still really good.
Can't wait for the new map. Excited for blink cards to more effective and more than just a cool novelty since there will be better escape opportunities.
I've seen an uptick in blink use recently. Should be interesting. Epic said we wouldn't get boots and I think that's a good idea. Blink is a much more interesting choice as a movement item.
The new patch shows that people don't read the map or think strategically. It's annoying that I am trying to Lane only to see the enemy take one of the other lanes because no one is laning. Or u have 4 people in a lane while u have the enemy pushing and taking 2 other lanes. Don't know why it is hard for most people.
I think we're in an engaging meta right now. I know it won't last and it would probably be tiring after a while, but right now bad teamplay is punished so incredibly hard. Nice shake up. Lots of good info for the future of the game can be gleaned from these experiments.

charsace

Been playing on a friend's character. Tainted Magick is still really good.

I've seen an uptick in blink use recently. Should be interesting. Epic said we wouldn't get boots and I think that's a good idea. Blink is a much more interesting choice as a movement item.

I think we're in an engaging meta right now. I know it won't last and it would probably be tiring after a while, but right now bad teamplay is punished so incredibly hard. Nice shake up. Lots of good info for the future of the game can be gleaned from these experiments.

Yep. :(

Losing matches by blow out now because people are terrible. Add me my sn is charsace.

hurzelein

Hm not sure about abandoing the Travel Mode. I trust them to make the right choice for the game, but have to say the travel mode makes this kind of unique. Getting away from Gangs because I time it well and outmanouver my opponents feels extremly rewarding. Let's see.

Kind of wondering how long the Beta will go. They seem to have at least a few more month scheduled in before switching to the new map.

Love Narabesh (the orc). It's funny, I never see him picked, but he is so good with an individual deck and some training.

ZeroCoin

Finally got a beastmaster's key in one of the community reward card packs yesterday. Down to under 40 cards left after about 6 days played. Tainted magick in the weekly pack next week will also finish me up on the cards that I consider to be pretty important that I was missing. Of course they'll probably announce a new batch of cards just as I'm finishing up the collection.

ZeroCoin

Halloween teaser payoff just dropped. Details at the link but 7 new skins, Murdock's will be free for linking twitch. Other 6 can be win early through twitchbot, and able to be purchased after that. Pretty cool, I was not expecting full skins at all. Now I'm just cruising my fingers for a nice tier 2 or 3 Muriel skin to come out.

Shadow's Eve Blog Post

Goddamn that Sparrow skin, gonna buy the discounted bundle wow on the 25th

Pretty lame that the skins are "available" from the 11th but not purchasable until the 25th :(

ZeroCoin

I actually like the hype buildup of potentially seeing the skins in action before you can buy them. Makes the lucky ones feel special. Also with the new bundle style you can get it for a little cheaper if you are lucky.

Hoping we see some cool skins around Christmas as well. Steel Santa, Fey elf, Riktor snowman, Muriel angel. Your move Epic.

Halloween teaser payoff just dropped. Details at the link but 7 new skins, Murdock's will be free for linking twitch. Other 6 can be win early through twitchbot, and able to be purchased afternoon that. Pretty cool, I was not expecting full skins at all. Now I'm just cruising my fingers for a nice tier 2 or 3 Muriel skin to come out.

Shadow's Eve Blog Post

That trailer really tickles me. I like Paragon doing a Halloween event, and I need that Khaimera clown skin.

ZeroCoin

waiting for the zeus/lich-esque heroes myself, btw if they are going to take out travel mode will they implement boots of speed or something like that?

I believe they've said boots aren't planned to be an item. A lot of heroes already have movement speed abilities that will get a big boost when travel mode is removed. Also, the new map should make the movement speed reduction much more bearable than it would be on the current map.

I actually like the hype buildup of potentially seeing the skins in action before you can buy them. Makes the lucky ones feel special. Also with the new bundle style you can get it for a little cheaper if you are lucky.

Hoping we see some cool skins around Christmas as well. Steel Santa, Fey elf, Riktor snowman, Muriel angel. Your move Epic.

I too want to see Christmas flavored skins for Paragon, but Narbash should be Santa. He's a big jolly fat man with a beard. If not Santa, then Narbash can be the Little Drummer Boy...or in his case, the Big-Ass Drummer Boy.

Other than that, turn Sevarog into the ghost of Christmas future, and give Scorch a glowing red nose.

ZeroCoin

I too want to see Christmas flavored skins for Paragon, but Narbash should be Santa. He's a big jolly fat man with a beard. If not Santa, then Narbash can be the Little Drummer Boy...or in his case, the Big-Ass Drummer Boy.

Other than that, turn Sevarog into the ghost of Christmas future, and give Scorch a glowing red nose.

Iggy definitely seems like the most likely reindeer surrogate. Narbash drummer boy is a good fit. I like Grim.exe as a nutcracker as well. Feng Mao would also be a decent elf. Maybe we'll even have the ice hero releases to be a Jack Frost skin. Good call on the ghost of Christmas past Sevarog.

Ploid 3.0

I'm happy that the characters I currently like have a skin. Lt Belica with witch hat? I'll take it. I don't know if I'll kick Autumn Sparrow for this new one but I love the details that the paw prints make up. You can hardly tell it's paw prints from a distance and it gives a nice textured effect. Same for the web on Lt Belica.

I'll alternate between Polar Strike Belica and this, maybe the same for Sparrow. The glowing orange is nice.

Ploid 3.0

Event is live, I hope leaving a tablet on a charger in a stream helps my chances of a skin.

OVDmXxc.png

Top Bottom