• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn & Teller: Fool Us Season 3 |OT| This One Time at Magic Camp....

Status
Not open for further replies.
foolus_71316.jpg

Set your DVR's!!
S3E1 Premiers Wednesday July 13 on CW.

Famous British Talkshow host Jonathan Woss has been relieved of his hosting duties and HIMYM's Alyson Hannigan will assume the role this season.

Show Premise: Contestants try to perform a magic act that they feel Penn and Teller won't know how it was done. Should they "fool" Penn And Teller, they WIN!

Winners Get: A "Fool Us" statuette, air time, a chance to be an opening act at Penn & Tellers Vegas show for ONE NIGHT, and bragging rights!

Losers Get: air time

THIS SEASON: We will see plenty of new faces, some old faces, and I'm crossing my fingers that one of those old faces will be Season 2 highlight Shin Lim.

Once again, set your DVR's! Don't tell me I didn't give you a heads up!

bigkrev

Loved the first season, did not care much for the second season- the tricks didn't seem as cool. I have high hopes for this season though, and while I thought Ross was great in season 1, he seemingly aged 10 years between the first 2 seasons and lost most of his energy. I'm just worried I won't be able to see the new host as anything other than the Band Camp girl from American Pie though

EDIT: I see that Shawn Farquhar is coming back this season, who is the guy who did the sealed pack card trick I STILL think about every now and then. If he can top that trick, this might be the greatest show of all time

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Glad to see a thread for the show up.

Looking forward to this season.

Loved the first season, did not care much for the second season- the tricks didn't seem as cool. I have high hopes for this season though, and while I thought Ross was great in season 1, he seemingly aged 10 years between the first 2 seasons and lost most of his energy. I'm just worried I won't be able to see the new host as anything other than the Band Camp girl from American Pie though

EDIT: I see that Shawn Farquhar is coming back this season, who is the guy who did the sealed pack card trick I STILL think about every now and then. If he can top that trick, this might be the greatest show of all time

She's Willow. I don't care how popular HIMYM and American Pie are. She's still Willow.

Platy

How I meet Your Mother is awesome, but in the magic show she is a witch !

Also,m awesome to know that Shawn Farquhar is coming back ! Both his sealed deck and his "shape of my heart" youtube video are some of my top5 favorite magic tricks =D

Looks like Shawn Farquhar will be on TONIGHT'S season premier. Nathan Burton, who I believe already has a show in Vegas, will also perform tonight

bigkrev

Watched the episode. Shawn's trick was less impressive but if it's not a mirror, book swap or memory trick like he said, I have no clue how he did it. I watched Magics Biggest Secrets Revealed on Netflix recently so I thought I knew how the girl was vanished by one performer, but have no clue how she got behind Penn and Teller with the entire audience watching.

I followed along with the card trick Penn and Teller preformed and had it work! I'm sure it's a simple formula, but the fact that the user gets a lot of choices in the process still makes it fun

Calvero

Banned
Watched the episode. Shawn's trick was less impressive but if it's not a mirror, book swap or memory trick like he said, I have no clue how he did it. I watched Magics Biggest Secrets Revealed on Netflix recently so I thought I knew how the girl was vanished by one performer, but have no clue how she got behind Penn and Teller with the entire audience watching.

I followed along with the card trick Penn and Teller preformed and had it work! I'm sure it's a simple formula, but the fact that the user gets a lot of choices in the process still makes it fun

Just looked up a clip of Shawn's trick. I like how it was the exact same as his last one in that you know exactly where the trick is going, but you still have no clue how the hell he did it

bigkrev

The original season of the show was done for UK television in 2011, which was why they used a British television personality as host. CW bought the show in 2014 to fill a cancellation slot in the summer, and were obviously impressed by the ratings so they created a second season of the show in 2015, 4 years after the first season. It appears they want to keep doing this show, so they decided to switch hosts to someone who was local to the area and that a US viewing audience may be familiar with, instead of someone with the worlds thickest accent and who no one would have heard of outside the context of the show.

The tricks Shin did last season were fucking amazing, he dis everything so smoothly amd gracefully it was hard to actually figure out what he was doing.

Enk

makes good threads.

I'm pretty sure it involves
his glasses. He pulled a switch at the end with no lenses when there were shots earlier where there were lights reflecting off his lenses. Also he appears to rush Hannigan through the final confirmation where she just assumes he was right.

bigkrev

I'm pretty sure it involves
his glasses. He pulled a switch at the end with no lenses when there were shots earlier where there were lights reflecting off his lenses. Also he appears to rush Hannigan through the final confirmation where she just assumes he was right.

Was his blank book actually filled with invisible ink or something? If he used mirrored lenses, I never saw him angle his head in a way so he could have seen her copy of the book

Just looked up a clip of Shawn's trick. I like how it was the exact same as his last one in that you know exactly where the trick is going, but you still have no clue how the hell he did it
I think shawns trick fell a bit flat for me because even though he didn't do a book swap, it seemed like the trick could have been done easily if he did do a book swap. Like the big effect of the trick was him revealing there was no book swap IMO. And it didn't impress me

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I never much cared for magic tricks(
illusions Michael
) or any of that stuff but I really loved this show. Penn & Teller are just always fun to watch and many of the contestants are quite amusing too.

I'll have to watch this later. Glad it's back.

KAOz

Short bus special
The original season of the show was done for UK television in 2011, which was why they used a British television personality as host. CW bought the show in 2014 to fill a cancellation slot in the summer, and were obviously impressed by the ratings so they created a second season of the show in 2015, 4 years after the first season. It appears they want to keep doing this show, so they decided to switch hosts to someone who was local to the area and that a US viewing audience may be familiar with, instead of someone with the worlds thickest accent and who no one would have heard of outside the context of the show.

It's not an a accent. It's a speech impediment.

I will miss Woss.

Just watched the Shin Lim clip up in the OP. Damn... I saw bit of sleight of hand including the pen being slipped into his vest; no idea how he was swapping cards and pulling them out of his mouth with smoke included. I'm guessing the smoke was stuff in his mouth, but still cool.

Aiii

So not worth it
Alyson did surprisingly well. But I am a huge Buffy fan so the girl can do no wrong.

Magicians were fun, but it seemed a bit hyper to me this time around, very rushed. Must be to tailor it more to US TV.

Larogue

Was his blank book actually filled with invisible ink or something? If he used mirrored lenses, I never saw him angle his head in a way so he could have seen her copy of the book

Shawn's trick
is all about the glasses, they had lens before he switched them to empty ones at the end.

Its either invisible inc like the one you mentioned, that can only be read with his lens. Or he have the list written on the lens of the glasses itself.

Shawn's trick all about the glasses, they had lens before he switched them to empty ones at the end.

Its either invisible inc like the one you mentioned, that can only be read with his lens. Or he have the list written on the lens of the glasses itself.

In other words, its a pair of google glasses, disguised as a pair of cheap drug store glasses, that has a digital form of the book embedded. INGENIOUS

Smellycat

In other words, its a pair of google glasses, disguised as a pair of cheap drug store glasses, that has a digital form of the book embedded. INGENIOUS

He kept repeating the page number, maybe the voice command function didn't work the first time, but he also likes to repeat himself. But the problem with the glasses theory is that he switched the glass at the end and still got the last page correct.

Enk

makes good threads.
He kept repeating the page number, maybe the voice command function didn't work the first time, but he also likes to repeat himself. But the problem with the glasses theory is that he switched the glass at the end and still got the last page correct.

You may want to check that last part again. When he puts on the glasses the final time he rushes her through it with no real confirmation (notice how Hannigan just gives up and assumes he is correct).

Platy

Shawn's was not as good as I hoped, but I would watch 32 tricks like his or the bottle dude instead of the girl behind penn and teller.

Big vegas style magic bores me to no end.

hilarious how the bottle dude was like "no they were Marti... OH yes" when they were telling how he did xD

I have a strange feeling that they cut a joke out of the bottle guy's routine. When he makes the audience say "Change!" he follows up with "I feel like Obama." Then he makes them say, "Make them go back!" and it kind of abruptly cuts. My guess is he said something like "Now I feel like Trump."

EDIT: I just checked his YouTube channel and he confirms that exact joke got cut in editing. Nice.

hamchan

Penn and Teller didn't say you needed two people to do the card trick at the end until these nice cards were already bent and torn...

mrkgoo

Shawn's trick
is all about the glasses, they had lens before he switched them to empty ones at the end.

Without coming here, i suspected that his trick involved switching out the glasses...his neat comment about "did you like the glasses? it was my own touch - these don't even have lenses" was a sneaky way to misdirect them from being a gimmick prop to just a show prop. He was probably ready to show that the book was not switched.

Anyone here into magic in general? I've spent a bit of time watching got talent and fool us clips, lol...

Shawn's trick

Yeah, he really hung a lantern on the them. And, maybe it's the cameras, but you could see the
lenses
clear as day, so when he spoke about them at the end, it made no sense.

As for Hannigan, she seemed a bit wooden and nervous. Hopefully she improves.

TTG

Really good premier. I watched previous seasons and just about every episode had segments I skipped. Not tonight. I liked the new host too, she's charming and there's just a trace of American Pie in her delivery somehow.

Holy shit how nervous was Jesse eisenberg?!

Yeah he was visibly shaking. I don't watch him enough to know if he's normally like that.

Anyways, the guy who did the stick figure act, I think decided to put plants in the audience. It really looked his teddy bear throw was telegraphed deliberately to the person he wanted it to go to. That trick normally doesn't need the use of a plant so it fooled P&T

Eisenberg was funny and it was entertaining for what was essentially a commercial.

The stick figure deck did seem preordained. I couldn't really hear Penn, but was his guess that the guy was sliding from under the table the winning card? I guess I didn't really catch what their hypothesis was on how he did the trick.

bigkrev

Is Now You See Me 2 even still in theaters? Poor timing!

Also, while the trick was kinda dumb, Kyle was really funny (and cute!), and he probably has a great future in front of him.

I don't want to be a spoil sport, but I thought I saw the moves by the Fool Us winner.

Just imagine how difficult it is to do a card trick with no hands. It was a fairly impressive trick for someone with hands, and considering he has no hands I thought he did great. ( And I didn't see his trick moves )

bigkrev

Yeah, it was clearly a case where Penn and Teller knew the gist of how he did it, but only had one guess, and probably wanted him to win so they just went with one thing

I thought this was a dissapointing episode. I'm pretty sure Penn and Teller repeated that trick from season 1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom