• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena European release date bad news [Update: Suffering continues]

Dantis

Its funny how this exposes how self-centered people can be when Zen U is just being a good business and tailoring the product for the market it will sell in the most.

I'm not sure you know what the term self-centered means. There's nothing self-centered in this topic at all.

jcm

Its funny how this exposes how self-centered people can be when Zen U is just being a good business and tailoring the product for the market it will sell in the most.

The thing is, Zen U's primary consumer base is straight in central Europe, particularly France and Spain. They were the ones who hung on for the translations of BlazBlue and still made them a commercial success despite a massive delay. So while the English language players throw toys out of the pram and declare doom upon the game because they can't have it right now. Zen U doesn't give a fuck because they already have a willing and waiting audience who can hang on for a decent translation and the game will sell well to those people. It's not like BlazBlue made any dent in the charts in the British Isles or Scandinavia but it sold extremely well in France and Italy. That's the market, and thats their priority.

I'm glad we have mature, selfless individuals like you here to set all of those entitled babies straight. The cheek of them, wanting to purchase a video game in a timely fashion.

Just out of curiosity, what were the individual country sales numbers for Blazblue?

I feel bad for all you UK guys, but remember this is all Index's doing, Atlus US has no say, and I bet the issue is on their end, not Zen.
Who cares? Index is Atlus, and Atlus is Index.

I feel bad for all you UK guys, but remember this is all Index's doing, Atlus US has no say, and I bet the issue is on their end, not Zen.

alstein

I'm not sure you know what the term self-centered means. There's nothing self-centered in this topic at all.

Then they should be ok with consumers being equally "self-centered" and telling them where they can stick their product.

There's enough good fighting games out there, that consumers don't have to tolerate these shitty practices. There's nothing special about Persona that allows it to get away with crap.

Uthred

This game is dead competitively, looks like its October at the earliest. I'll be playing P4:TG before this gets a release:

"One of the guys from Zen United was in the stream chat for the Astral heat event going on in London and people were asking questions about the release date (obviously lol) and he said that they haven't been sent an EU build. When they do finally get the build it still has to be submitted to Sony and Microsoft for approval and printing, accord to the guy from Zen they wont be adding other EU languages in order to speed up the release. So were looking at about a month maybe more before the game is released in PAL regions. "

Shahed

My Amazon pre-order says August 31st. Maybe they got the year wrong? Doubly annoying that we've heard nothing about Golden either.

When so many other companies do worldwide launches or close to it, why can't others plan ahead and do so? I mean look at something like The Witcher 2.

T.O.P

Banned
Every fighting game ArcSys release is like christmas day for me and i usually buy both JAP and EU version (for BBCS i have like 4 version of it) and lots of people i know, mostly Italian and French (as said above), did the same with every version of BlazBlue on both platforms

The region lock and now the uknown EU release is just too fuckin much though

Sad part is that i'll still be the first in line to get once it will be released, cause i want to play this soooo bad e.e

LegatoB

The thing is, Zen U's primary consumer base is straight in central Europe, particularly France and Spain. They were the ones who hung on for the translations of BlazBlue and still made them a commercial success despite a massive delay. So while the English language players throw toys out of the pram and declare doom upon the game because they can't have it right now. Zen U doesn't give a fuck because they already have a willing and waiting audience who can hang on for a decent translation and the game will sell well to those people. It's not like BlazBlue made any dent in the charts in the British Isles or Scandinavia but it sold extremely well in France and Italy. That's the market, and thats their priority.
So previous Blazblue versions were translated into languages other than English? Good to know. Was Extend an exception, or was the poster who said it was English-only just confused?

This game is dead competitively, looks like its October at the earliest. I'll be playing P4:TG before this gets a release:

"One of the guys from Zen United was in the stream chat for the Astral heat event going on in London and people were asking questions about the release date (obviously lol) and he said that they haven't been sent an EU build. When they do finally get the build it still has to be submitted to Sony and Microsoft for approval and printing, accord to the guy from Zen they wont be adding other EU languages in order to speed up the release. So were looking at about a month maybe more before the game is released in PAL regions. "
Guess it's a moot point, though, if it's actually English-only as implied here.

Dantis

Then they should be ok with consumers being equally "self-centered" and telling them where they can stick their product.

There's enough good fighting games out there, that consumers don't have to tolerate these shitty practices. There's nothing special about Persona that allows it to get away with crap.

You misunderstood what I was saying.

That other guy was saying that we (As in, the people posting in this topic) are being self-centered. And I was saying that he's mistaken.

What happens when your wife gets back from Japan? WHAT THEN?

Coaster.

fullvx.jpg

:3

Ban Puncher

bpbcJ.gif

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME

Y'all work for Zen or something?

Omikaru

I'd shit myself laughing if this game wasn't localised now.

DR2K

Banned
I initially didn't think the region lock was that bad, but holy shit at least get a release date for EU.

dan2026

Why do Atlus care so damn little about Europe?

Is our money no good?

Are they suggesting that the combined sales of the whole of Europe is somehow inconsequential compared to America or Japan?

They wont see one penny from me, that's for sure.
Maybe it will send the wrong message, but there is no way I am putting up with their bullshit.

TGMIII

I initially didn't think the region lock was that bad, but holy shit at least get a release date for EU.

I'm sure most of the complaints were from EU players as we always get fucked on dates with atlus/arcsys games. At this stage they're sending the game to retail death whenever it does release.

Omikaru

Is our money no good?

Are they suggesting that the combined sales of the whole of Europe is somehow inconsequential compared to America or Japan?

They wont see one penny from me, that's for sure.
Maybe it will send the wrong message, but there is no way I am putting up with their bullshit.

I'm of the opinion that boycotting alone does nothing. Boycott, by all means (it's your money), but make sure you bitch and bitch and bitch until they get the message.

People say it's entitled, or whingey, or whatever, but it works. Time and time again, if fans have whinged about something, shit gets done to try and make it right.

7threst

What the hell has "self-centered" to do with wanting a competitive game right now? *Especially* since there IS already a western translation for the game.
And if it's true what you say, let's hope Atlus and others won't work with Zen again so another proper working business who's focus IS on the WHOLE of the market they're supposedly serve instead on their central Europe audience who refuse to play games if it isn't translated.

mclem

Is our money no good?

It's not that they don't *care* about Europe, and they certainly want your money, but they don't have the infrastructure in place to handle localisation and distribution on a continent-wide scale, hence taking on publishing partners.

I live in hope they'll get into a position which means they can handle everything at their end, but that doesn't then in turn necessarily mean that things will be *better* - just that at least there's only one culprit to blame rather than a melange of different entities who all have a hand in any fuckup.

TGMIII

Someone posted this on the Persona Europe facebook page:

just read this on the Mayonaka Midnight forum: "One of the guys from Zen United was in the stream chat for the Astral heat event going on in London and people were asking questions about the release date (obviously lol) and he said that they haven't been sent an EU build. When they do finally get the build it still has to be submitted to Sony and Microsoft for approval and printing, accord to the guy from Zen they wont be adding other EU languages in order to speed up the release. So were looking at about a month maybe more before the game is released in PAL regions."

Could be bullshit, I'm trying to find the thread on Mayonaka Midnight now.

dan2026

It's not that they don't *care* about Europe, and they certainly want your money, but they don't have the infrastructure in place to handle localisation and distribution on a continent-wide scale, hence taking on publishing partners.

People keep saying that, but 99% of other publishers manage it, even the little guys.

Why should Atlus get away with it, again and again.
Its been too long and they have improved nothing!!

7threst

People keep saying that, but 99% of other publishers manage it, even the little guys.

Why should Atlus get away with it, again and again.
Its been too long and they have improved nothing!!

Yeah, I don't get it either. It wouldn't be a huge problem if region locking wasn't coming back in style, but it is, * sigh*

I'm not even sure I can plaay Shin Megami Tensei IV or Etrian Odyssey IV, and that feels pretty bad bad because I want these, bad!

mclem

I must admit, I'm struggling to think of one of similar size to Atlus that doesn't rely on partners to publish in Europe. Got examples in mind?

dan2026

I don't even really care that Atlus uses a proxy publisher.

But for god's sake use a decent one. The whole situation just reeks of incompetence.

How many years have they been screwing Europe with crappy localisation times now?

TGMIII

So there's a guy from Zen united in the Astral Heat stream chat who said this:

patashnik: I can't go into specifics. I've covered it off ion our FB page as best I can, but in summary - we can't announce a release date until EU development is complete.

patashnik: We do;t actually handle the development - we;re just the publsiher

patashnik: I do unerstand yes. Unfortunately the fact is, regardless f similarities to the US version, an EU version still has to be mastered for us to submit to platform manufactureres. When that''s comete I can give you a better idea of release timing

So the game doesn't actually exist for EU right now?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
not the only one who thought of doing it sadly ._.

I was "lucky" i also have a japanese 360, so i just got the japanese version, even though i almost cancelled my pre order when the region lock thing came up because fuck that shit.

Sucks to play online though, since no one here has the game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So the game doesn't actually exist for EU right now?

It's likely in test/cert by now. That process can take 2-3 weeks per pass, so if they need to resubmit because of a failure the process can easily take 1-2 months. Once they get approved, they can proceed to manufacturing.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Proxy publisher leads to the inefficient type of communication that German anime licencor over here mentioned in the Persona Anime debacle where they constantly have to bother the Japan office to get something done and have to wait months to get a (dis)approval. This is why I think, but can't be certain Zen doesn't have that much control over the delay in this case.

Index should straight up buy Ghostlight or something, streamline bureaucratic nonsense, because this is shameful. At this point I'll be looking up the story scenes on Youtube as well. Already read the overal story outline, because with this wait I was going to be spoiled one way or the other.

TGMIII

It's likely in test/cert by now. That process can take 2-3 weeks per pass, so if they need to resubmit because of a failure the process can easily take 2+ months. Once they get approved, they can proceed to manufacturing.

Well he's clearly said in chat that the game isn't complete for EU yet so it wouldn't have hit cert. He's also said multiple times and was very clear in saying that Zen don't in any way handle the development and we will know when they know. I still think they're hiding something but it sounds to me that the game isn't even finished for EU.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
It's likely in test/cert by now. That process can take 2-3 weeks per pass, so if they need to resubmit because of a failure the process can easily take 1-2 months. Once they get approved, they can proceed to manufacturing.

By the Zen United dude comments, i strongly doubt it's even at that point yet.

Awesome, right after I just paid £130 for a nice arcade stick to play the game....

I'm setting a deadline for Zen now - if they do not release it by the end of September I will be buying the game used to make sure they do not get a single penny from me. I'm not rewarding incompetence, be it on behalf of Atlus or Zen, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is looking like a dream come true and it is coming out worldwide in a tiny space of time.

To be honest I've had enough of Atlus's shenanigans over these past few months, region locking this game, screwing up the localisation, region locking the P4 anime and then prohibiting Europeans from even being able to legally purchase it. Persona 4 Golden is now the cutoff point, after importing (hopefully) that I will not purchase any Atlus games until they have proven without a shadow of a doubt that they have learnt their lesson.

XiaNaphryz

By the Zen United dude comments, i strongly doubt it's even at that point yet.

They should be in test at the very least if not cert. If they don't get into cert by sometime next month, there's no way the game releases before mid-late October.

TGMIII

They should be in test at the very least if not cert. If they don't get into cert by sometime next month, there's no way the game releases before mid-late October.

patashnik: I do unerstand yes. Unfortunately the fact is, regardless f similarities to the US version, an EU version still has to be mastered for us to submit to platform manufactureres. When that''s comete I can give you a better idea of release timing

It is NOWHERE near cert.

XiaNaphryz

It is NOWHERE near cert.

?

That reads to me that they have yet to have a RC mastered to go to cert. That doesn't mean there isn't a version currently in testing. Are you interpreting that as in they don't even have any builds at all? Because if that's true, EU is truly screwed.

Top Bottom