• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena European release date bad news [Update: Suffering continues]

TGMIII

?

That reads to me that they have yet to have a RC mastered to go to cert. That doesn't mean there isn't a version currently in testing. Are you interpreting that as in they don't even have any builds at all? Because if that's true, EU is truly screwed.

From what's been said they apparently don't.

I apologise to anyone who got their hopes up because of either HitCombo or SRK (who I tipped and who sourced my article) posting that 7th September date.

I was informed by PQube that, and I quote, "The official release date is 7th September". The fact that this has been unconfirmed is saddening. Time to go write another article. :|

OMG Aero

You know, it's a good thing for Zen that Atlus region locked the game or literally no-one would end up buying it when if it comes out in Europe.
Still, Zen are incompetent buffons. All they do on the "Official Persona Europe" Facebook page is post pictures of Woody raping Aigis, fan art of Pokemon (as SMT arcanas), and photographs of the game that people with foreign consoles (or living in other continents) imported, as if they're rubbing it in.
To be fair that Pokemon arcana picture is pretty neat.

jcm

They should be in test at the very least if not cert. If they don't get into cert by sometime next month, there's no way the game releases before mid-late October.

Why do you think it's coming before October? If it were, they ought to have a release date by now. You can't just dump stock on retailers with no notice.

TGMIII

I apologise to anyone who got their hopes up because of either HitCombo or SRK (who I tipped and who sourced my article) posting that 7th September date.

I was informed by PQube that, and I quote, "The official release date is 7th September". The fact that this has been unconfirmed is saddening. Time to go write another article. :|

To be fair both Zen and PQube have apparently told different people different dates. The whole thing seems like a mess.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Why do you think it's coming before October? If it were, they ought to have a release date by now. You can't just dump stock on retailers with no notice.

I'm not, I'm saying there's no way it would be coming before then given the assumptions I stated.

I knew it would come to this... Atlus you suck!!!

I really hope this doesn't take the form of a precedent and encourages other publishers to do the same.
The other title I'm most worried about is Ryu Ga Gotoku 5, it will have TONS of licensed content from other companies that will bitch to no end to make it impossible to buy the Japanese version outside Japan.
Plus add the fact that a localization is very unlikely given Sega's current status and we could end up being royally screwed...

Boycott justified. Fuck this, will maybe buy preowned when it's a tenner. Maybe.

Same for me, I know I can't avoid buying this forever, especially once Persona 5 gets close to release.
But I will make my best to delay the purchase as long as possible and to make sure anybody involved in this mess doesn't get a cent from me.

A few words from Zen like Atlus US did could help, but given how they've handled this up to now and other releases I'm starting to think that they don't care about this at all.

jcm

I'm not, I'm saying there's no way it would be coming before then given the assumptions I stated.

Ah, now I understand. I don't think they'll be hitting mid-October, period. My guess is sometime in 2013.

How weird is it that tiny little Gust turned out to be the niche Japanese dev best equipped for the HD generation? They've been cranking out good PS3 games with a simultaneous NA/EU release every year. Maybe Atlus should take a break from cranking out remakes and hire someone over there to remind them how it's done.

Ah, now I understand. I don't think they'll be hitting mid-October, period. My guess is sometime in 2013.

I don't speculate as a rule, but this seems pretty plausible to me.

Zen can just push a game out at two weeks notice, though. The PS2 version of GGXXAC+ hit Europe within about three weeks of being announced (in 2010), if Wikipedia is correct.

Plasma

Banned
Knew this was going to happen, had the same thing with Catherine, luckily I could import that.

I bet I finish Persona 4 Golden before this even comes out in Europe.

Omikaru

Why do they need a European master if the game is identical?

If what some Zen people said, according to another poster in this thread, there won't be any localisations done to this game. It's purely English and Japanese, just like the US version, so why do they have to do a new master? Can't they just take the US version that passed cert and submit that to SCEE/Xbox EU? Or is this a case of having to get the DLC cooked for SCEE/Xbox EU (is there even DLC?), and having Zen's logo plopped into the game, or whatever?

I think I probably just answered my own question here, but whatever. Any insights are welcome.

At any rate, I think we're looking at 2013 now. If what we know is true, then Atlus, Zen and ASW are all as bad as each other in this. What a complete clusterfuck.

7threst

If what some Zen people said, according to another poster in this thread, there won't be any localisations done to this game. It's purely English and Japanese, just like the US version, so why do they have to do a new master? Can't they just take the US version that passed cert and submit that to SCEE/Xbox EU? Or is this a case of having to get the DLC cooked for SCEE/Xbox EU (is there even DLC?), and having Zen's logo plopped into the game, or whatever?

I think I probably just answered my own question here, but whatever. Any insights are welcome.

At any rate, I think we're looking at 2013 now. If what we know is true, then Atlus, Zen and ASW are all as bad as each other in this. What a complete clusterfuck.

Yeah, but somehow I have the feeling Zen is not telling the complete story... they are all like "we only publish the game" but damn, if you are doing this you are all equal partners. Make it fucking happen Zen or don't do it at all. At least Ghostlight actually say what the problems are if a game gets delayed...

Mandoric

Banned
Proxy publisher leads to the inefficient type of communication that German anime licencor over here mentioned in the Persona Anime debacle where they constantly have to bother the Japan office to get something done and have to wait months to get a (dis)approval. This is why I think, but can't be certain Zen doesn't have that much control over the delay in this case.

Ahahahahahaha you really think that doesn't happen even when they're a direct branch?

XiaNaphryz

Even if the game is identical, cert requires a separate master build for each region. This has been commonplace for all major platforms as far as I can remember.

Pezking

LOL, just as expected.

I'd be very pissed off right now if I hadn't removed P4A from my to-buy-list as soon as the region-lock was announced (as well as the godawful dub-only Blu-ray).

Well, at least now it's definitely assured that this game will bomb big time in Europe. Kudos to Atlus, great job!

I'm afraid the japanese and US sales aren't that bad, right?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Ahahahahahaha you really think that doesn't happen even when they're a direct branch?

Seeing some of the Capcom US/Japan relationship that stuff probably does still happen, but a direct branch should improve the situation over what we have now.

Conan-san

Cancelled my Pre-order and going to wait until CEX gets copies, preordered the 1st Day Tales of Graces F set.

It is this shit that makes region locking a bad idea. As a side, Ghostlight might want to get to getting DS Overclocked out PDQ.

I sure hope the uncertain release date is because of them translating into other European languages than English. And there better be no typos or shit translation (well if they do it like BlazBlue, at least that's a good thing)

If not, what the fuck ?

remist

I sure hope the uncertain release date is because of them translating into other European languages than English. And there better be no typos or shit translation (well if they do it like BlazBlue, at least that's a good thing)

If not, what the fuck ?

"One of the guys from Zen United was in the stream chat for the Astral heat event going on in London and people were asking questions about the release date (obviously lol) and he said that they haven't been sent an EU build. When they do finally get the build it still has to be submitted to Sony and Microsoft for approval and printing, accord to the guy from Zen they wont be adding other EU languages in order to speed up the release. So were looking at about a month maybe more before the game is released in PAL regions. "

According to some dude from MM.

Zomba13

This game is dead competitively, looks like its October at the earliest. I'll be playing P4:TG before this gets a release:

"One of the guys from Zen United was in the stream chat for the Astral heat event going on in London and people were asking questions about the release date (obviously lol) and he said that they haven't been sent an EU build. When they do finally get the build it still has to be submitted to Sony and Microsoft for approval and printing, accord to the guy from Zen they wont be adding other EU languages in order to speed up the release. So were looking at about a month maybe more before the game is released in PAL regions. "

That can't be right.

Ashkeloth

Love Arcsys, love Atlus, love Persona, but I'll be buying this pre-owned whenever the hell it actually comes over here, even if I have to wait a while. I won't support this kind of terrible business and to be honest I thought we'd finished with all of this nonsense in the PS2 era.

It's not like I'm going to get half of the value of the game with all the American and Asian players online having a large amount more time with the game and I really don't think that a niche game like this will have a gigantic European community to begin with.

7threst

You Euros should just pick up the superior game TTT2 instead of supporting this garbage. Atlus are absolute scum.

Scum? They are not very consumer friendly with this and with holding of a European office, but scum? They make my favourite series of all time and I am thoroughly enjoying their output and pre-order bonusses for years now. They are not scum. They are stupid. Maybe they are to blame for all of this. But not scum.

But fucking hell they do disappoint me often now... :(

Torraz

Makes me happy I bought Golden and EO 4 used while in Japan. Will probably youtube this or buy it used once it releases... Damn regionlocking :(.

Zomba13

You Euros should just pick up the superior game TTT2 instead of supporting this garbage. Atlus are absolute scum.

I'll be getting TTT2. Last Tekken I owned was the first TTT and I loved it. Didn't get much into 4 and then became uninterested. I need TTT2 though.

I pre ordered the We Are Tekken edition today, byebye Atlus, you shouldve given me the opportunity to buy it pre TTT2, DOA5 and PSASBR.

Conan-san

If any one is desperate for 2D beat em up action involving manifestations of self, you could do a lot worse than downloading JoJo's Bizzare Adventure HD. It's Like persona 4 arena only with less bullshit region nonsese!

Well worth the £15 imho.

TGMIII

I don't speculate as a rule, but this seems pretty plausible to me.

Zen can just push a game out at two weeks notice, though. The PS2 version of GGXXAC+ hit Europe within about three weeks of being announced (in 2010), if Wikipedia is correct.

It'll hit 2012 for sure, I can't see how Zen/PQube/Atlus could fuck up that bad that it falls into 2013.

I know in the past Zen have actually released games very quickly once announced, like you said yourself, but it's always been for one platform if I remember right. I'm assuming passing cert for two different systems is going to increase that time somewhat.

I honestly expected this to happen once I heard Zen were involved but it seems like some of this is out of their hands unless they're just straight up lying. If they would just give us some indication of when it releases I'd be a little happier but right now we're just waiting for anything.

According to some dude from MM.
What the fuck ?

How do you mess up that ?

It's not the first time a game has been delayed (hell, Europe is generally the least lucky when it comes to this), but the whole mini mediatic shitstorm/gaf meltdown is because these idiots region-locked the game, effectively preventing fans from getting it.

I'm so mad right now.

They better not pull this shite with P4G :(
Dude, don't jinx it. My anger would know no bounds.

Gutted. Was soo looking forward to playing this on my week off work. Ah well, Graces F can take my time instead. It's hard not to be disappointed but I suppose there isn't much point in pointing fingers, I'm just praying it's a matter of two or three months rather than a 2013 release.

XiaNaphryz

If any one is desperate for 2D beat em up action involving manifestations of self, you could do a lot worse than downloading JoJo's Bizzare Adventure HD. It's Like persona 4 arena only with less bullshit region nonsese!

Well worth the £15 imho.

Unfortunately for many people interested in P4A, it's more about the story than the fighting part since it's supposed to be canon. So another fighter may not be as interesting to those folks.

Dantis

Just posted this in the other topic, but should probably post it here too:

Hey friends, just posting this for any EU users who want to watch the story online:

http://www.youtube.com/user/EnhancedWithRamen/videos

Seems this guy is posting HD videos of the story mode, with no commentary. Can't ask for much more than that! I've watched the first two, and they seem fine. He skips a line now and again before it's actually spoken, but no complaints beyond that.

Quoting myself is so fun.

XiaNaphryz

Just posted this in the other topic, but should probably post it here too:

Quoting myself is so fun.

Well, that was fast...

3h6pc.png

i'm glad i decided to boycott this turd from the beginning, no international gamer is surprised by these developments.

Well, that was fast...

3h6pc.png

lol, there are so many ways to watch this. and for every deleted video, three more will grow back. welcome to the internet, atlus/index.

remz

Fucking horseshit. I went through this shit with Blazblue and now they're pulling it again. ridiculous.

between atlus/aksys and Zen it's friggin impossible to enjoy Arc System Works fighters. at this point i'd rather them get SEGA/Sammy back as a publisher :L

This was pretty much the only game I've been looking forward to in ages and all this release kerfuffle is ruining it. :/

Sigh. I knew it. OK, now canceling my preorder. There are so many other games to play.
Will watch the video summary while cursing at the assclowns responsible for this mess.

Anti-consumer bs like region locking has to die a painful slow death. I mean this is not 1989 anymore, we are living in a globalized world, goddammit.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Well, that was fast...

[/QUOTE]

This really isn't scoring them any goodwill after all that's happened so far. Hell even with all of this, I'm still probably going to get the game albeit no longer for the sake of actually playing it online sadly but blocking videos is just going to piss people off even further. It's 2012 and people are going to post these videos whether you want to or not, might as well just see it as exposure for the game in the way tournaments are rather than second hand piracy.

CPS2

scumbag publisher: oh your country only speaks English? we can't release this game in your region until its translated into a million languages, even tho its already in English.

Top Bottom