• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie calls someone a "fucking n****r" during PUBG livestream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lux R7

what not putting the same weight US citizens put in the world and having or not having racial tension have to do with each other exacly? ò_ò

i'0m from italy, and if someone uses the equivalent of the n-world here,it might at best rise an eyebrow or some particular militant people might ask you to use some more political correct terms,but no one would flip his shit like it would happen in the US..and it has nothing to do with Italy not having racists or racial tension,but it's about the word itself not having the same history that it has in the US

maybe next time don't think about the US as the center of the freaking world.

ok wait, just to clarify,i'm italian too and i think that the italian n word is also racist as hell.

Eh, no I was literally thinking of people getting offended by dumb shit (which this situation is not) ....

Like someone got offended I ate meat in front of them.
It was pretty fucking dumb of me to do that considering the context of this thread.

Yes, I'm an idiot. No I don't say that word, and I'm not racist. Enough people know me on here to know that.

I don't know what other words I can say to make you folks understand what I was thinking when I posted the reply.
I needed this laugh ty

Shubh_C63

Ok, I might be TOTALLY out of what goes on in what is acceptable and what-not,..but in this day and age where people talk about killing, Nazis, Suicide, F*, Cu*t, My Nigggah, sexism in rap, South Park style comedians who says anything anywhere, blah blah blah.....does the word nigger really still holds so much controversy and gravity ?

I am neutral towards this Pew if people think they need to know this before understanding where I am coming from. Only youtuber I follow is Zemalf, Christopher and Videogamedunkey because he is black.

Servbot24

Banned
No sane person will defend racism.
That's letting racists off too easy. Racism empowers the majority race, and those afraid of losing their position of privilege use subtle or blatant racism to maintain that power.

Racists are evil and they are cowards. They don't get the insanity plea.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Fuck him, but as a non american I don't understand why black people is allowed to say it or it doesn't matter if they use it. Just don't say the word everyone.

Context matters, dude. You understand context, right?

You understand the meaning of a minority laying claim to a word that's been used to oppress them, right?

Ah

I see

Well fuck both of them lol

The other guy does have a strong-ass case for having said it accidentally though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8rMIQQnXIA <-- Here's what happened and his explanation. Now whether you want to believe him or not is of course up to you.

The way he corrects himself as if nothing happened does kind of come off in a really bad way.

CaptainClaw

Fuck him, but as a non american I don't understand why black people is allowed to say it or it doesn't matter if they use it. Just don't say the word everyone.

Maybe because there is something really racist about white people using that word to Black people...I dunno maybe know the history before you open your mouth?...or type on your keyboard.

Dmented

Banned
i really don't follow the guy,but from what i know he is not american,and for non americans that world isn't as horrible as it is for US citiziens, that would sometimes prefer scream blasphemy in public than to say the "n-word"

but as i say,i only know the guy by fame, so i can't really say what his stance is on race problems.

Problem is, even if that were the case, he KNEW right away what he said was bad and that he shouldn't say it (in public) by trying to cover it up with "sorry". And that's not including the fact he's been targeted for racist/white supremacist-like behavior as of late, so he absolutely knows what that word means and why his dumb ass shouldn't be saying it.

But, imo, this is the sad reality of online gamers. The N-word is casually used almost all of the time. Only difference here is he's famous and he's live streaming.

Majukun

What if they said it on TV?

no real idea since it's mroe than 12 years that i don't watch italian tv, but as i sad, it would probably be not considered politically correct, but the reaction would be nowhere near what happen in the US

on the contrary,if someone uses blasphemis, that would probably be on the next news the day after.

of coruse if you add derogatory terms to the world , people would flip their shit in italy to, but the word just by itself is not considered THAT bad..not if you compare it to the US where it's the word that cannot be spoken

Alienous

Liar. If you try saying those words fast in succession you don't come up with the hard r n word.

So you think Maximillian just decided to say the n-word to describe a video-game move?

That's more believable to you than accidental word salad resulting in saying the n-word?

Another guy that said the N word on stream but GAF likes him so ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

He accidentally said the n-word, amongst word salad, apologizing for it profusely not long after, with no history of racism.

spons

Gold Member
He should just geoblock Americans out of his videos and streams because apparently, nobody outside the US gives a shit about racist remarks.

Toxi

Banned
Ok, I might be TOTALLY out of what goes on in what is acceptable and what-not,..but in this day and age where people talk about killing, Nazis, Suicide, F*, Cu*t, My Nigggah, sexism in rap, South Park style comedians who says anything anywhere, blah blah blah.....does the word nigger really still holds so much controversy and gravity ?

I am neutral towards this Pew if people think they need to know this before understanding where I am coming from. Only youtuber I follow is Zemalf, Christopher and Videogamedunkey because he is black.
Yes, it does.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

your not american so i'll cut you some slack for being ignorant.

'Nigga'(with an A) is used as Ebonics by usually black Americans(but can be used by other races in urban areas too), started as a way primarily to take the venom out of the word it came from. its generally harmless.

"Nigger" is never used by black people, or generally anyone out of historical context, and frankly speaking is used primarily by people who are white specifically to use that word in the context that has been socially deemed unacceptable and has been historically used to destroy African American's humanity.

celljean89

Neo Member
Some members of Neogaf defending a white person saying nigger? And he has a history of being a bigot? I suppose to be shock by this? this kinda remind me of Bill Maher, Without the fake ally bullshit.

Now I understand more of the anti BLM protests feelings around here, and the police shootings defense force too. And this place is liberal! But He's white, he got to be innocent, or joking, or scared. Maybe the defense force will do the same if they was in their heroes shoes.

fhqwhgads

So Pew is officially in his Justin Beiber/Miley Cyrus phase of "Look at me! I don't appeal to kids anymore! Please take me seriously!" Next on his list must be getting arrested for indecent exposure or public masturbation

royalan

Oh Pewds.. you've really done it.

njVO6MQ.gif

This gif doesn't really fit here, because the line implies someone being villainized in spite of trying to do good.

That's not PewDiePie at all. PewDiePie is just an unrepentent asshole racist.

True Fire

The thing that really grosses me out about PDP is how quickly he went from an annoying but funny teenager to Charles Manson. Everything about his community is so cult-like. And he looks vile and haggard. The fact that children watch his videos makes me nauseous.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

...but what about *insert-anything-i-can-come-up-with* ?

Its crazy how narrow minded some people can be. Must be nice living in that bubble.

13ruce

Banned
before i clicked i thought there was a chance he said something like "my n****" to a friend

that would have been dumb af but a lot of tone-deaf white people do stuff like that (i did as a teenager 10+ years ago)

but he's straight up using it as an insult

there can be no doubt about his intent

fucking nazi prick

I actually had black friends calling me that word but i never said it back i just said bro. Even if they were fine with it i would still not do it since it just feels wrong/strange to do.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Eh, there's plenty of non-english native countries where the only times people hear the words is in music/movies/ other media. There are lots of people that don't think it's perjorative at all, as they never seen it used that way.
Not the case here, obviously: not only it was intentionally used as a insult, PewDiePie has no excuse whatsoever: he has interacted with English speaking communities for over a decade. He knows very well what the word means.

Yes and those words are used implied or otherwise as negative in plenty of American movies. And these countries have plenty of their own derivatives of this same word. You'll be hard pressed to find a European country english speaking or otherwise where the n word or an n word derivative. Is not in use. It's not even hard to discover this

He should just geoblock Americans out of his videos and streams because apparently, nobody outside the US gives a shit about racist remarks.

Please don't generalize.
There's plenty of non-US-Americans who think racist remarks are terrible, and there's plenty of US-Americans who don't give a shit.

Mik317

So you think Maximillian just decided to say the n-word to describe a video-game item?

That's more believable to you than accidental word salad resulting in saying the n-word?

expect thats not what happened at all.

He was saying random rhyming nonsense such as Chigger Changer Figger Dagger to describe made up moves. using the Igger rhyming scheme backfired hard. He also apologized and felt actual remorse....so dragging him through the mud still is some lame ass shit.

A junior "just asking questions" about whether calling some one a nigger is racist.
200.gif

Another guy that said the N word on stream but GAF likes him so ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Max caught a ton of heat for his use and then came directly here to apologize and clear the air.

Not sure why you're selectively omitting the context here and why anybody else is trying to compare the two events.

Anyone comparing this to the Max situation needs to realize that Max had never said anything hateful or racist before or after the "Ninja Dagger" situation and Pewd has been pretty hateful and racist as of late.

You are.

Heroman

Banned

What is this?

Alienous

expect thats not what happened at all.

He was saying random rhyming nonsense such as Chigger Changer Figger Dagger to describe made up moves. using the Igger rhyming scheme backfired hard. He also apologized and felt actual remorse....so dragging him through the mud still is some lame ass shit.

I meant to say move. But exactly.

"Guys, is the N-word REALLY that bad?

BTW, I'm not racist because I follow a black guy on YouTube."

Shubh_C63

...but what about *insert-anything-i-can-come-up-with* ?

Its crazy how narrow minded some people can be. Must be nice living in that bubble.

I am not narrow minded. It was just an honest question from a person who really thought things aren't that bad as they looked to be. Guess I was wrong and things ARE still messed up, and Racism is a peak. Going to shut up now cuz I guess it is a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom