• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie calls someone a "fucking n****r" during PUBG livestream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone I know posted this in defence of him

To be racist would mean he is inclined to hate, mistreat, or discriminate against a race, saying a slur when you're playing a video game and are frustrated is hardly anything to say his heart is filled with hate.

Do you guys ever see anything about the millions he donates to charity regularly?

Cyframe

Ok, I might be TOTALLY out of what goes on in what is acceptable and what-not,..but in this day and age where people talk about killing, Nazis, Suicide, F*, Cu*t, My Nigggah, sexism in rap, South Park style comedians who says anything anywhere, blah blah blah.....does the word nigger really still holds so much controversy and gravity ?

I am neutral towards this Pew if people think they need to know this before understanding where I am coming from. Only youtuber I follow is Zemalf, Christopher and Videogamedunkey because he is black.

Bill Maher of all people apologized for his usage of the word because it's a word that is harmful. I can only imagine how many times that word was said to the Black man beaten by nazis at Charlotteville. How many Black people in this thread have been called that word, myself included.

That word is unacceptable.

Ok, I might be TOTALLY out of what goes on in what is acceptable and what-not,..but in this day and age where people talk about killing, Nazis, Suicide, F*, Cu*t, My Nigggah, sexism in rap, South Park style comedians who says anything anywhere, blah blah blah.....does the word nigger really still holds so much controversy and gravity ?

I am neutral towards this Pew if people think they need to know this before understanding where I am coming from. Only youtuber I follow is Zemalf, Christopher and Videogamedunkey because he is black.

You should have just stopped after your first sentence instead of displaying your ignorance for all to see.

wow, now let's see who he will made a new video to react about the the news about his word.

also,something is bothering me, why people are donating to him? it's not like he need any

DJYbGEIXkAIrw8B.jpg

i understand the concept of donating to normal people on twitch so they can continue,but to pewdiepie?

Imagine donating $1, let alone $100 to this scumbag. Can't relate.

It's shameful that this morally corrupt asshole has the most subscribed channel on Youtube.

The answer is yes.

Onyar

Here is a book all about that
Nigger: The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word https://www.amazon.com/dp/0375713719/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Maybe because there is something really racist about white people using that word to Black people...I dunno maybe know the history before you open your mouth?...or type on your keyboard.

Context matters, dude. You understand context, right?

You understand the meaning of a minority laying claim to a word that's been used to oppress them, right?

I'm catalan, some spanish people instult me just for be catalan and I can understand a little this situation.
For example some call us catalufos or things like that, we try not to use this terms between us. But I also understand some people who want to use it.

I really feel I asked kind of a taboo, I'm sorry,

Gattsu25

Banned
Anyone comparing this to the Max situation needs to realize that Max had never said anything hateful or racist before or after the "Ninja Dagger" situation and Pewd has been pretty hateful and racist as of late.
Yeah, they are not even remotely comparable situations.

takriel

Sometimes I wonder why the fuck I'm wasting my time on GAF. A good chunk of gaffers seem to be stupid fucking apologists of racism and sexism.

Lutherian

Giving money (from 100 $ to 500 $ per stream) to an already rich person playing the same game 10 millions people are playing (PUBG) is kind of weird.

Defending this sad excuse of a living being is also weird.

Majukun

Problem is, even if that were the case, he KNEW right away what he said was bad and that he shouldn't say it (in public) by trying to cover it up with "sorry". And that's not including the fact he's been targeted for racist/white supremacist-like behavior as of late, so he absolutely knows what that word means and why his dumb ass shouldn't be saying it.

But, imo, this is the sad reality of online gamers. The N-word is casually used almost all of the time. Only difference here is he's famous and he's live streaming.

i'm not saying that he dosn't know that the world shouldn't be said,being a big part of his audience from the US
but knowing that something is offensive for another "culture" and finding it offensive enough to nowt saying it by yourself just for that is another thing entirely

basically,in the US that word is so demonized that only an impenitent racist would use it in public..it's ingrained in your "values" that that word must not be spoken ever..like here it's for blasphemies in public...for someone from europe that only speaks english though,that barrier is not there,and you can see people using it jokingly or in a light way,otr just a traight ignorant one.

I mean,in the us people debate if you can say the n-world if you are white and you are karaoking a rap song...no such thing here..that should give you the measure of how much weight the same word has in different countries

The thread title is misleading btw. He didn't just say the word.

He said "what a fucking n-", directed at someone negatively. The context and aggression makes it much worse.

He then doubles down seconds later, without realising, when he equates the word with 'asshole', as if it means the same thing.

Unreal people are defending it.

jtb

Banned
Everyone knows what this is about. There is no "devil's advocate". There is no playing dumb.

Everyone, PDP especially, knows exactly what he's doing and what it means to defend it.

Krabboss

I'm on my phone so I'm going to be concise. In what way is talking about suicide a bad thing? Why is talking about Nazis more upsetting to you than Nazis existing? Nobody things f**is a cool thing to say, same for c*** (although the line is blurred a bit outside of the US). Black people saying nigga is not the same thing as white people saying it, and saying it with a hard er is even worse. With how bad your post is, I'm not surprised by the dogwhistle slit sexism in rap, but it's an unfair assessment and you're willfully ignoring sexism in other media. The people who give cart blanche to south park are white teenage dudes, mostly, so that's worthless when discussing what is and isn't offensive.

This is a bad post. The n word still carries the weight of centuries of social inequality. It's still offensive. The context in which pewdiepie used it does not lessen its offensiveness in any way, but nerds will likely argue that it does.

Also everybody is very wrong to suggest the word is totally cool to say in other countries. They are protecting their own ambivalence to the word onto the rest of their country. These people should try asking somebody who isn't white how cool it is to say.

Toni

Someone I know posted this in defence of him;

To be racist would mean he is inclined to hate, mistreat, or discriminate against a race, saying a slur when you're playing a video game and are frustrated is hardly anything to say his heart is filled with hate.

Do you guys ever see anything about the millions he donates to charity regularly?

"But he donates to charity so he can be racist all he wants!"

c5gNgdl.gif

MKIL65

Pewdiepie has always been a pile of garbage. Years ago, this guy was spouting rape "jokes" continuously in his videos, and people were defending him!

Years later, now he's making nazi "jokes" and uses the N word... And people are still defending him!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

You mean in these times where racial tension are worse than they have been in many years?

Ban the dude. Off Twitch. Off Twitter. Off Youtube. Show there are consequences to this kind of racist behaviour, or then these gigantic companies are complicit in allowing this.

kadotsu

Banned
Unless the word ninja ends in a hard r, no he was not.

His apology, notice a difference to the press blaming, whataboutism shithead youtubers:

Hey guys. I'd like to post this clip for clarity, as my conscience won't let me do otherwise.

https://twitter.com/maximilian_/stat...78558597697536

After tongue twisting words multiple times throughout the stream, I said something I literally didn't believe I said until after I reviewed the footage in the morning. I was woken this morning to several people telling me that Neogaf and Reddit are blasting what I said and it's blowing up.

It was absolutely not my intention to use this word. It's disgusting, filthy and I've never intentionally used it ever in my life. Deeply sorry to anyone who thinks ill of me after this, as I've wanted nothing but to create an environment on Youtube and Twitch of kind-hearted people who I try to give back too just as much as they've given to me. The accusations coming my direction is something I've never had to deal with before, and it honestly one of the worst feelings I can remember. Especially when everything about my life, family and friends is the exact opposite of what the word represents.

I'll let the mods decide what to do with this thread. I can't ignore what I accidentally said, but I'd prefer not to be reminded of it every-time I visit the forum I've been a part of for almost a decade.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Fuck him, but as a non american I don't understand why black people is allowed to say it or it doesn't matter if they use it. Just don't say the word everyone.

your not american so i'll cut you some slack for being ignorant.

'Nigga'(with an A) is used as Ebonics by usually black Americans(but can be used by other races in urban areas too), started as a way primarily to take the venom out of the word it came from. its generally harmless.

"Nigger" is never used by black people, or generally anyone out of historical context, and frankly speaking is used primarily by people who are white specifically to use that word in the context that has been socially deemed unacceptable and has been historically used to destroy African American's humanity.

Aenima

Im surprised how many ppl is outraged for a youtuber / twitcher saying that in a salty moment while playing a online game. Yet Donald Trump got elected for president saying similar and worst things.

Some guy that used to work with me as a student was in a chat group with his friends called "slave traders". They played games and watched pewdiepie and other pieces of shit. They're all like 18-19 and raised by these scumbags. They're not even from the US.

Beefy

Fuck off with the "he lives in Europe" shit. He lives in the UK, he will 100% know that saying nigger is racist.

So you think Maximillian just decided to say the n-word to describe a video-game move?

That's more believable to you than accidental word salad resulting in saying the n-word?

He accidentally said the n-word, amongst word salad, apologizing for it profusely not long after, with no history of racism.

Looks like we have another apologist on our hands folks. All the casual racists sure are coming out in force today.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm catalan, some spanish people instult me just for be catalan and I can understand a little this situation.
For example some call us catalufos or things like that, we try not to use this terms between us. But I also understand some people who want to use it.

I really feel I asked kind of a taboo, I'm sorry,

Nah dude, I came off a bit hard there. You learned something new and life goes on. I'm sorry you have to experience prejudice because of your heritage

ChrisD

fuck pewdiepie. hope this is the end of him

His past garbage hasn't done much other than lose him some sponsors, so...

Even if he literally lost EVERY sponsor, you can put money on him streaming on Twitch with donations. And if that fell through? Patreon.

It's a sucky realization when you know that some people are just totally immune so long as they don't go out and kill someone on camera or something. Even then you'd probably get people saying it was staged..

So to PewDiePie, the N word and 'asshole' are the same thing.

Cool.

So glad he's still got a career and impressionable children watch him daily.

I hope he goes away now because of this (but he won't)... Also the JonTron vid people posted makes me wonder why he wasn't fired/kicked out of game grumps the day or week he said that shit.

Lunar15

I think what blows my mind is how casually the last event was handled. PewDiePie isn't just some random youtuber. He's one of the most watched celebrities in the entire world. He's arguably more famous than most actors, especially with kids and teens.

There's gotta be some gravity here and it's just not happening. Youtube doesn't fully understand their position here. They're operating the most watched TV channel in the world, essentially, and it's being used to broadcast incredibly dangerous stuff.

Onyar

your not american so i'll cut you some slack for being ignorant.

'Nigga'(with an A) is used as Ebonics by usually black Americans(but can be used by other races in urban areas too), started as a way primarily to take the venom out of the word it came from. its generally harmless.

"Nigger" is never used by black people, or generally anyone out of historical context, and frankly speaking is used primarily by people who are white specifically to use that word in the context that has been socially deemed unacceptable and has been historically used to destroy African American's humanity.

Thanks a lot for your answer, really.

Syf

Banned
Eh, no I was literally thinking of people getting offended by dumb shit (which this situation is not) ....

Like someone got offended I ate meat in front of them.
It was pretty fucking dumb of me to do that considering the context of this thread.

Yes, I'm an idiot. No I don't say that word, and I'm not racist. Enough people know me on here to know that.

I don't know what other words I can say to make you folks understand what I was thinking when I posted the reply.
Yeah I've seen you around and like you as a poster so it was real surprising to see that post from you in this context. Good to see you realize the mistake.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Im surprised how many ppl is outraged for a youtuber / twitcher saying that in a salty moment while playing a online game. Yet Donal Trump got elected for president saying similar and worst things.

Yes, your so right...because the same people who voted for donald trump because he is a racist ARE THE SAME FUCKING PEOPLE WHO HATE RACISTS, THAT"S SO GENIUS OF YOU

It was a good...what, 20 years? where open racism wasn't okay. Every day I become more aware that the social unacceptability racism in the late 90s-mid 10s was just a glitch in the matrix.

Maybe it's for the best. Now more than ever it's obvious that racism never went away, it just went underground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom