• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie calls someone a "fucking n****r" during PUBG livestream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes. He clearly used it as an insult and then you can see that he KNEW he fucked up by letting it slip and tried to play it off saying he meant to say some other insulting word. That's not something that should come to mind at the spur of a moment.

Toni

Dash_Riprock said:
Where is his GAF defense force now?

Oh, stay put.

There's a good number of them around. You'll find a few more as thread goes on with insane analogies as to why this is acceptable.

Toxi

Banned
I wonder if in the future "Nigger" will just end up being a insult specifically for mutliplayer gaming community at large and people will forget it's racial origin.
The people using it haven't forgotten its racist origin. That's why they use it.

Dude is using the max situation as a launch board for mental gymnastics to claim pewds didn't mean to say the n word and isn't a racist. You sure you want to hitch your wagon to that horse?

Ive been called the n word in hate many time so please forgive me for thinking someone who defends the use of slurs regardless of context is a bit racist.

I don't think that's what is happening at all. Context does matter, as does intent, and malice.

Dude is using the max situation as a launch board for mental gymnastics to claim pewds didn't mean to say the n word and isn't a racist. You sure you want to hitch your wagon to that horse?

I said nothing like that, all I was saying is that this situation is different from the Max thing. I hate PewDiePie.

Kurdel

Banned
I think there's a difference in context from a non American saying the n word because outside of the US it's a non native word and that takes some of the weight of it. Doesn't mean you can say it but more that it might be ignorance or just lacking proper education/life experience.

And if he uses as an insult, that is still fine because of his “lack of context”?

This is such a bullshit argument, I am from Québec and people who consume american media know it’s taboo fullstop.

Especially if he has american followers, he knew better, but doesn’t give a shit.

They don’t care anymore if people know they are racist or white suprematists, and this isn’t an isolated event.

Is n***r that offensive??? I'm from EU and had to watch the video to know what n***r actual means...

I'm not that in into US culture... were does the word really come from? sounds like a variation of negro.

I don't give a fuck about PewDiePie to be true I may have just whatsched it two times and quitted his videos 'cause found them annoying.

Try reading a bit more world history before “just asking questions” on Neogaf.

N30RYU

Is n***r that offensive??? I'm from EU and had to watch the video to know what n***r actual means...

I'm not that in into US culture... were does the word really come from? sounds like a variation of negro.

I don't give a fuck about PewDiePie to be true I may have just whatsched it two times and quitted his videos 'cause found them annoying.

GHG

This fucking guy.

Edit...:

This fucking guy...

jtb

Banned
I wonder if in the future "Nigger" will just end up being a insult specifically for mutliplayer gaming community at large and people will forget it's racial origin.

Why do you think the multiplayer gaming community uses it in the first place?

PK Gaming

People make mistakes. Ryan Davis once said faggot on stream, should I have called him homophobic?

Oh for sure, sometimes I get so angry I accidentally slip out the most vicious racial slur on the planet.

Yeah right. The only reason it slipped out is because it's a word he likely frequently uses. Nobody "accidentally" says the N-word without partially meaning it.

spons

Fuck off with the "he lives in Europe" shit. He lives in the UK, he will 100% know that saying nigger is racist.

It's a crappy excuse anyway since tons of Europeans learned at least parts of their English vocabulary through American media, yet conveniently forget about racist bullshit. Merely pretending to be ignorant.

And you guys keep giving him attention with threads like this and wonder why he keeps doing it.

You honestly think GAF threads are really fueling this idiot that much?

You honestly think he's being racist in front of his millions of subscribers on a regular basis because GAF is giving him attention?

You honestly think the attention he's getting for being racist in public is really the sort of attention he wants?

C'mon, man. What use/purpose is there in suggesting the reason the racist guy is racist in public is the fault of the pseudonym'd semi-frequent users of online gaming forum NeoGAF? What are you getting out of that premise?

It's a bad premise.

He's a racist idiot because that's what he is. Whether there's a thread on NeoGAF discussing him or not doesn't factor into it at all.

Our status as one of many online peanut galleries has nothing to do with why he is the way he is.

yuoke

Banned
And sadly a huge amount of the kids that watch him will idolize this and turn out to be /r/thedonald/4chan memer asshats.

i'm not saying that he dosn't know that the world shouldn't be said,being a big part of his audience from the US
but knowing that something is offensive for another "culture" and finding it offensive enough to nowt saying it by yourself just for that is another thing entirely

basically,in the US that word is so demonized that only an impenitent racist would use it in public..it's ingrained in your "values" that that word must not be spoken ever..like here it's for blasphemies in public...for someone from europe that only speaks english though,that barrier is not there,and you can see people using it jokingly or in a light way,otr just a traight ignorant one.

This Europe does not exist, what are you even talking about?

I've never heard of this larger cultural divide between the US and EU over the use of the word n****r. Especially with our globalized societies and the internet and such, the word is obviously 100% offensive.

People make mistakes. Ryan Davis once said faggot on stream, should I have called him homophobic?

If Max or Ryan Davis had a history like Pewds? Yes. But they don't/didn't, so obviously not. You can give people the benefit of the doubt once, but when they show it is part of their character than they are just asshats.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

It doesn't matter. You should not be giving people a pass or dismissing things outright regardless of the context. that's how normalization starts.

Oh look, PDP being an ass. Shocked.

Looking forward to the videos next week about the "witchhunt" on him and how "a joke was taken horribly out of context."

You've got to be shitting me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
not even the "ga" version huh, straight up the full word with every sylable.

well alrighty then >_>

you could be from Mars and you would still, in 2017, know what the word means. Give me a fucking break lol.

Did Ryan Davis have the same long history of "mistakes" that PDP has?
Did a single person here tell you how to feel about PDP before coming in here with this defensive deflection?

kadotsu

Banned
Finally we have arrived at the "language is evolving" fallacy. Next we'll be talking about the differences between -er and -a and how maybe his accent made it unclear, because why not go more stupid.

Anung

Un Rama
People trying to hand wave it away as "he doesn't understand the weight of what he's said" can go fuck themselves. If he didn't realise the severity of the word he just said he wouldn't have tried to walk it back literal seconds later.

CaptainClaw

I'm catalan, some spanish people instult me just for be catalan and I can understand a little this situation.
For example some call us catalufos or things like that, we try not to use this terms between us. But I also understand some people who want to use it.

I really feel I asked kind of a taboo, I'm sorry,

Great to see your understanding and I sympathise.

As i said, forgive, not forget. even with apologies and excuses, even out of context, for that word to come to mind, you have to think about your words and the people who use them. there are no dismissals.

I get that, but when you start bringing it up and comparing to an actual scumbag who regularly flaunts his hate on a platform popular with kids no less, I'm gonna have to object there and clearly define why these situations are not comparable.

Auraela

Banned
not only how he says the word is bad but its the fact seconds later after releasing his mistake then uses asshole instead, effectively comparing black people to assholes.

RoyalFool

Banned
If a friend used that slang term in a private chat, I'd disown them.

Saying it on a live stream infront of thousands, and having it likely replayed to millions. The guy needs to fucking pull the plug and go offline.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
well there was also this which caused a fair bit of debate:

XQsEB8H.jpg

If I remember correctly, the issue wasn't the name at all, it was that the marketing hinted at black culture (going by Center against Racism's words), with graffiti and such. (Now, that might've just been a coinkydink, and linking graffiti styled ads to black culture might itself be seen as racist). Nevertheless, it appears they had a case.

Also a spokesman said the ice cream's advertising campaign was hinting at street culture. So take that as you will :p

kiguel182

And if he uses as an insult, that is still fine because of his “lack of context”?

This is such a bullshit argument, I am from Québec and people who consume american media know it’s taboo fullstop.

Especially if he has american followers, he knew better, but doesn’t give a shit.

They don’t care anymore if people know they are racist or white suprematists, and this isn’t an isolated event.

I'm not excusing him. I know he knows it and the way he uses it makes it obvious his intent.

I've seen people use it (even in media) that I don't think this applies. Context is definetly important.

Here, he knows what he is doing and it's not excusable. I say that in my post.

SheHateMe

Spoiler Alert: No. Never. Not as long as African Americans exist. We won't let ANYONE forget, no matter how much certain people want us to forget.

Fuck PDP. Period.

ZeoVGM

Banned

PewDiePie has a history of "mistakes." And if you took a moment to read the thread, you'd know that this "mistake" happened because he was currently running with a joke where he was purposefully trying to say something that sounded like the word, but wasn't. Until it was.

At a certain point, it's clear it's not a "mistake."

Buckle

Racist people still use it religiously, black people are still getting treated like shit and mowed down by the police, don't see that happening anytime soon.

People used to say "Pewdiepie is annoying, but at least he's a good dude"

Dude is too rich for it to affect him, but he could have had a clean image, relatively speaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom