• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play reviews Lair

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdFoX187

Banned
I'm bored at work so I just spent the last little while reading through this thread. I think the game looks great and I expect it to be good. I'm still worried about the SixAxis controls. I remember reading there was supposed to be a demo back in June, then in July. When is it coming?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
JB1981 said:
I know there are some very vocal Halo critics here but 75% is ridiculous. :lol

I'm sure a good chunk of people here would think the same thing about the Sony hate.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
JB1981 said:
Why aren't you at *** trolling PS3, Beezy? You're more yourself over there.

Does this mean you'll take your L gracefully and keep it moving? If not, continue on crying.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
JdFoX187 said:
I remember reading there was supposed to be a demo back in June, then in July. When is it coming?
Factor 5 has said they're working on a demo, but they never guaranteed one before the release of the game. Getting the demo before release in June/July has really only been fueled by wishful thinking.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
dointhis.gif

JB1981

Agent Icebeezy said:
Does this mean you'll take your L gracefully and keep it moving? If not, continue on crying.
Nope. I'll just continue on knowing (rightly) that you bought a console that you consistently and repeatedly troll on another forum where you more openly speak your mind.

JdFoX187

Banned
kaching said:
Factor 5 has said they're working on a demo, but they never guaranteed one before the release of the game. Getting the demo before release in June/July has really only been fueled by wishful thinking.
Damn...oh well. It's still a Day One purchase for me.

spwolf

kaching said:
Casey Loe's review history with Play:

Atelier Iris 2 7.5
Atelier Iris 3 7.5
Grandia III 9
Grim Grimoire 8.5
Metal Gear AC!D 2 6.5
Ninja Gaiden ∑ 8.5
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams 8.5
Shadow Hearts 8.5
Snoopy vs. The Red Baron 8
Tales of the Abyss 9
Tales of the World 7
The Legend of Zelda:TP 9.5
Xenosaga Episode III 8.5
Yakuza 9.5

as if that matters :)

Raistlin

mintylurb said:
woohoo, another ps3 thread that has gone into the gutters thanks to those who have no genuine interest in buying a ps3. golf clap

Yeah ... for the most part, the trolls were at bay in a majority of the E3 threads ... since there really wasn't much to criticize.

Things are back to normal again.

Agent Icebeezy

JB1981 said:
Nope. I'll just continue on knowing (rightly) that you bought a console that you consistently and repeatedly troll on another forum where you more openly speak your mind.
:lol

Madman

Agent Icebeezy said:
People get so emotional...Kiss my ass with your general ****ing assumptions. My critique is on Play magazine, no more, no less. Quit crying like ****in girls.
Speaking of being emotional...

Raistlin

Segata Sanshiro said:
You know, I'm going to remind all of you guys of this when Play gives NiGHTS 2 a 10/10, followed by giving Halo 3 and Killzone 2 7/10s.

Instead of generalizing about the magazine as a whole ... maybe people should instead base their opinion of the review knowing the reviewers history?

I'm not sure about the rest of you ... but that is how I've always read reviews, regardless of the magazine ... be it EGM, or whatnot.

Take from the following what you will:

Casey Loe's review history with Play:

Atelier Iris 2 7.5
Atelier Iris 3 7.5
Grandia III 9
Grim Grimoire 8.5
Metal Gear AC!D 2 6.5
Ninja Gaiden ∑ 8.5
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams 8.5
Shadow Hearts 8.5
Snoopy vs. The Red Baron 8
Tales of the Abyss 9
Tales of the World 7
The Legend of Zelda:TP 9.5
Xenosaga Episode III 8.5
Yakuza 9.5

Raistlin

tdrdrgn said:
but why defend it? it really looks like poo. they could of done something like brother in arms.
its takes place during ww2( i don't know) but its not brown and gritty. i also think gears was a little bit too brown but it showed a little variety. post some links to lair that brings out the color. all ive seen were brown ones.

Did you even bother to read the impressions of the person that actually played it?

:lol

Crap, even the pics I posted are not all brown, and they're only showing a couple of the levels.

Agent Icebeezy

dai said:
oh, dear, what are you trying to prove with that list, dude?

It's not really about proving anything. It's when people have any objection to something towards the PS3. They are told that they are Xbots or Ntards. Sometimes they are called too poor to afford one. Contrary to popular belief, I like putting money on things that I think will stand up and be worthy of the purchase. Leading up to release, the game in questions looks to be that.

Back to Lair. Most people, including myself, had a problem with Play and their previous history, not Lair the game. Then as predictable as the sun rising tomorrow, the taunts come out. My whole point of this thread is that using Play as some sort of benchmark is foolish, based on their dubious history. So yes, please, deflect more towards other regions of the internet if it makes you feel better.

Gosh..i had no idea Lair was native 1080p..the game looks very next gen on top of it. I wasnt totally impressed with the visuals compared to say Crysis or Call of Duty 4 but its close to that and to have it at native 1080P is amazing... arent the guys that made the star wars games for cube behind this game?

Edit yeah its Factor 5..they must of got a hold of the CELL somehow..because they are really the only dev's to produce a ps3 game thats actually more technically impressive then anything on 360 right now.

Raist

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
When someone says this, that's a 9 to you? I love Killer 7 for all of it's faults, but it's at best, an 8. This review sounds apologetic.

Play is the new Dan Hsu

Agent Icebeezy said:
It's not really about proving anything. It's when people have any objection to something towards the PS3. They are told that they are Xbots or Ntards.

Yep because only Sony do such a thing.

Raistlin

Mr.Potato Head said:
Edit yeah its Factor 5..they must of got a hold of the CELL somehow..because they are really the only dev's to produce a ps3 game thats actually more technically impressive then anything on 360 right now.

Oh dear ... as if the thread wasn't bad enough ...

... it will surely explode now.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Agent Icebeezy said:
It's when people have any objection to something towards the PS3. They are told that they are Xbots or Ntards. Sometimes they are called too poor to afford one.
I've had plenty of objections to things about the PS3 and some of its games. Never been called a fanboy for one of the other systems over it.

Agent Icebeezy

dai said:
ok, dude. i just can't take you seriously knowing how you post to that other forum.

No one is asking you to, now stop talking about me. I'd appreciate that.

Agent Icebeezy

kaching said:
I've had plenty of objections to things about the PS3 and some of its games. Never been called a fanboy for one of the other systems over it.

That is pretty much the crux of the argument. I wasn't making this a PS3/360 debate, nor was a lot of others. It's great that you don't get all one. I prefer my 360 to my other consoles. That is very well known here. So, because of that fact, I could say something very legitimate, and it would either fall on deaf ears or be branded a troll. My point, like a lot of others in this thread, and I reiterate, is that don't put too much stock in a Play review. That's it. No hidden agendas or punchlines. Wait for more to come out if that is what you are using to judge a game.

VonGak!

Banned
Mr.Potato Head said:
Gosh..i had no idea Lair was native 1080p..the game looks very next gen on top of it. I wasnt totally impressed with the visuals compared to say Crysis or Call of Duty 4 but its close to that and to have it at native 1080P is amazing... arent the guys that made the star wars games for cube behind this game?

From what I have seen there's nothing technically impressive about CoD4, it looks nice though due to post filters and the art direction which aims for reality.

Obviously this is only based on the released videos which shows a tunnel racer with pre baked (thanks NeoGaf for this neat term) shadows, ore baked lighting, sprite grass and limited on screen action.
Kinda reminds me of the tricks racing games use to look great.

Mr.Potato Head said:

You are in deep. :)

VonGak! said:
From what I have seen there's nothing technically impressive about CoD4, it looks nice though due to post filters and the art direction which aims for reality.

Obviously this is only based on the released videos which shows a tunnel racer with pre baked (thanks NeoGaf for this neat term) shadows, ore baked lighting, sprite grass and limited on screen action.
Kinda reminds me of the tricks racing games use to look great.

You are in deep. :)

COD4 at 60 fps with everything that is going on is damn impressive. If you want to call it out for having sprite grass, I'll call GT5 out for its sprite grass AND flat trees...

MC Safety

Whatever.

I played Lair at a Sony gamer's day, and didn't think it was all that great. In fact, I know of other reviewers at publications that shall remain nameless that didn't score the game as high as Casey did.

That said, I trust Casey's opinion implicitly. The man knows games. And he is one of the best writers and critics Play has.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Agent Icebeezy said:
My point, like a lot of others in this thread, and I reiterate, is that don't put too much stock in a Play review. That's it. No hidden agendas or punchlines.
The problem is that there's no reason to anonymize the review behind Play's general reputation when we can easily go to Play's own website, look up the reviewer's past reviews and judge more specifically from that.

Every friggin' major magazine or site has been accused of being biased in their reviews in one fashion or another around here. It's a meme more than an actual argument at this point.

So this is what happens when the OA tards and teamxbox kids unite to "visit" a PS3 thread in GAF without any proper moderation. Since this thread has gone to the shitter, I'll say it: You're ****ing pathetic.

dralla said:
I know EGM didn't score it as high :[]

I'm shocked! I could have predicted that without being an insider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom