• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale GTTV Video

olimpia84

Ok, so I knew they were working on a SSB type game but this?? lmao, this is a straight carbon copy. I can't stop laughing every time I look at the pictures and look at the "memorable" roster.

Petrichor

There'll be so many samey realistic human characters shooting guns. Sony doesn't have the cast of characters to support a game like this, unlike nintendo.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Looks like it could be fun along with a proper multiplayer, I'm happy with that.

Unsure why people are surprised that it is in the same vein as SSB, it is one of the most popular "fighting" games out there an appeals to a larger audience than a typical beat em up due to how it looks and plays, to not copy the style would have been silly as they obviously want to attract different types of players, just like SSB does.

darkwing

Don't forget IGN are set to release this character as well:

76295dca4ebf93e558c3c4c79981c79149770f54.PNG

wait a minute, is that a Nissan Skyline???

VanWinkle

Why does it only have to be the SSB route or the Power Stone route? Why not Capcom VS SNK? Or Clayfighter? Or Virtua Fighter? There are a number of different fighting games.

And of course, this didn't even have to be a fighting game. It could've been a crossover of another sort. But that would've taken a creative and talented dev team and a willing publisher.

I'm not denying that there are fans of Sony characters. And if you wanted a Xerox of SSB with Sony characters, then that's cool. But why do you have to pretend as if the only way to do a crossover is either SSB or Power Stone (which isn't even a crossover itself)?

I guess I had the style in mind. I saw it as most likely being a 4 player party fighting game. Probably because it was said to be like SSB even when we first heard about it. I guess it could have been in another fighting style, but from what we heard in terms of how the game will be, I saw it as either being SSB style or Power Stone style.

Of course it didn't have to be a fighting game. They tried another crossover Playstation Move Heroes and it turned out very mediocre, and certainly not from a creative and talented dev team. This team seems to have made a game that looks smooth and solid upon first impression, whose supposed downfall is that they made a game too much like SSB. To me, that's not a downfall. If done well, it could be a selling point. We've seen no indication that it's a poor copy, so why are so many upset? There are a huge amount of quality games that take heavy inspiration from other games. These other "copy" games aren't labeled ripoffs. Why? Because in most cases we can just judge a game based on its quality, not how similar it is to another game, especially one on a completely different platform.

Jintor

Anyway, I should get back to work on my gaming auteur fighter. There's a gaffer out there making some kind of EXPO fighter right?

Loudninja

Like Smash Bros., each character has a variety of moves accessed via a directional input in conjunction with an attack button (square, circle, or triangle). Every character has approximately two dozen attacks in their arsenal, and they vary wildly. Kratos has his trademark blades, Radec stays at range with his sniper rifle and other guns, Sweet Tooth controls space with land mines, and Parappa relies on the karate moves he picked up from Chop Chop Master Onion.

Wow, 2 dozen attacks for each character.

There is some real biting irony to alot of the people in here complaining about how bad this looks being the same people from the game informer xenoblade thread complaining about the writer being a graphics whore.

volturnus

Banned
There'll be so many samey realistic human characters shooting guns. Sony doesn't have the cast of characters to support a game like this, unlike nintendo.
They do have a nice cast of characters they could use, the real problem is that they didn't even try to make it different and the visuals are a fucking mess.

The M.O.B

The invisible barrier that prevents people from being knocked out of the stage is weird/awkward. They need to add some penalty for you getting ur arse kicked.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
There is some real biting irony to alot of the people in here complaining about how bad this looks being the same people from the game informer xenoblade thread complaining about the writer being a graphics whore.

A lot of the people are saying this looks ugly mainly because the art direction is ugly.

GCX

I don't think anyone here is saying this looks technically bad.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

They're completely different things. It's mostly art direction being talked about, specifically the auras around people and the lack of color.

Raxus

A lot of people aren't using their imagination though. Assuming the roster is varied there are plenty of niche characters, villains, and females they could draw from. The Boss, False King Allant (Demon's Souls), Cain, etc.

Vinci

Danish
Looks like it could be fun along with a proper multiplayer, I'm happy with that.

Unsure why people are surprised that it is in the same vein as SSB, it is one of the most popular "fighting" games out there an appeals to a larger audience than a typical beat em up due to how it looks and plays, to not copy the style would have been silly as they obviously want to attract different types of players, just like SSB does.

'Same vein'? I can understand if you're interested in the title; that's all well and good. But give the people who are troubled by this game some credit. It's not in the 'same vein' - the similarity is far, far beyond that.

Ezduo

Banned
Attacking foes fills an AP bar at the bottom of the screen, which grants three levels of a super attack once filled. You can attack an opponent all day, but the only way you'll actually score a point is if you KO them with a super attack. Level one attacks are usually limited, such as Parappa's spin kick. Once you get to level three, however, you're almost guaranteed a couple of points with screen-clearing attacks.

Oh what. That sounds...strange. Seems oddly limiting.

I don't think anyone here is saying this looks technically bad.

There have been multiple people saying it looks technically bad based off low res stream footage. Not liking the art direction or the characters or whatever is fine and a perfectly valid opinion but some of the stuff has really left me with a solid feel of intense irony.

that GI preview is kinda interesting...

So the whole point of the game is to build meter?

could be fun stuff if it's skill based.

Anyone else notice the 'pause' when people use a special?

Game-Biz

HOLY SHIT. It's a complete fucking ripoff. Ridiculous. At least, though, it's a nicely designed, well made ripoff. Kudos to Sony. Will buy day 1.

And it's going to be great to actually play smash bros online without it fucking sucking.

Card Boy

Banned
A lot of people aren't using their imagination though. Assuming the roster is varied there are plenty of niche characters, villains, and females they could draw from. The Boss, False King Allant (Demon's Souls), Cain, etc.

Isn't the game meant to appeal to all ages and not just 18-35 gamers? Why would kids want those characters? This is part of the problem with Sonys lineup VS Nintendos.

volturnus

Banned
I wonder what those who said EA should be sued for the Warhammer tank designs in C&C have to say about this. I guess visual rip-offs are suable and this isn't?

Mxrz

What's that attacking the hydra? planes?

Stop with the whole "lol Sony doesn't have the characters" bullshit. That argument was beaten to death long ago, and it doesn't mean jack beyond a personal opinion. And hell take away Mario and Zelda and I couldn't give a shit about SB's rosters either, but I'm not going to tell others they shouldn't.

KingK

So apparently the way you win is buy building up your meter with attacks and then using your specials to KO opponents.

botty

Banned
What's that attacking the hydra? planes?

Stop with the whole "lol Sony doesn't have the characters" bullshit. That argument was beaten to death long ago, and it doesn't mean jack beyond a personal opinion. And hell take away Mario and Zelda and I couldn't give a shit about SB's rosters either, but I'm not going to tell others they shouldn't.
Pokemon, alone, could carry a smash bros game.

RagnarokX

There have been multiple people saying it looks technically bad based off low res stream footage. Not liking the art direction or the characters or whatever is fine and a perfectly valid opinion but some of the stuff has really left me with a solid feel of intense irony.

Eh, I'm pretty sure everyone is talking about the art direction. Talking about the technical graphics wouldn't make any sense at all.

Oh my gosh the Nintendo crowd is whipped into a frenzy right now.

I for one welcome our Sony Smash overlords.

In all honesty it looks freaking awesome. I am okay with this.

Jintor

This thread has got me watching Brawl trailers from 2006 again :|

I forgot this was when they were hyping Wii Music... dear god. And Red Steel 2. Although watching Miyamoto dance up on stage is kind of awesome.

KingK

are they all instant KOs?

It doesn't sound like it. But there are 3 levels of Super, and the longer you wait to build up the higher Super level, the more likely you'll be to be able to KO the opponents with it. They said the level 3 Supers will almost always KO at least somebody.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, I realize that this was supposed to be Sony's version of SSB, but I didn't think it was ACTUALLY gonna be Sony's version of SSB!

I mean, holy shit.

looks faster than brawl

NBtoaster

Isn't the game meant to appeal to all ages and not just 18-35 gamers? Why would kids want those characters? This is part of the problem with Sonys lineup VS Nintendos.

Hardly.

Ratchet, Clank, Jak, Daxter, Sly, Sackboy, maybe they could get Spyro and Crash...

Top Bottom