• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale GTTV Video

Raxus

Isn't the game meant to appeal to all ages and not just 18-35 gamers? Why would kids want those characters? This is part of the problem with Sonys lineup VS Nintendos.

Why would any kid want to play Sweet Tooth or Radac? You have to remember that Smash managed to bring interest to the Fire Emblem series and other Nintendo properties thanks to the fighting game. I think this is an excellent opportunity to look at Sony's portfolio and include all sorts of fun characters both popular and obscure.

As i said in another thread:

It just shows how insanely poor Sonys game desingers are if they have to resort to blatantly rip off another companys franchise.

I wouldn´t write this if this game would be diffrent and maybe introduce something new, but that game looks like a total clone...

In a game like this, it should come as no surprise that SuperBot Entertainment wants it to feel accessible. And it most certainly does. Attacks are mapped to the Square, Triangle and Circle buttons coinciding with the direction you're pressing on the d-pad or left analog stick, giving each character an exceptional amount of moves. The right stick can be used to throw opponents, while the R1 button lets players pick up items (such as the Hedgehog Grenade from Resistance) in the environment to use on enemies.

I noticed this in GI's gameplay video. Sweettooth has a crazy moveset.

7117662167_81279679ec_o.png

I just realized that the glow around the characters are only when they have the ability to pull off a super. Take a look, Sly and Sweet Tooth have the glow and each have a Super ready whereas Fat Princess and Radec have no glow and no super ready. So while it is dumb looking it at least has meaning.

It just shows how insanely poor Sonys game desingers are if they have to resort to blatantly rip off another companys franchise.

I wouldn´t write this if this game would be diffrent and maybe introduce something new, but that game looks like a total clone...

500x_reggie_not_my_problem.jpg

guek

Banned
It doesn't sound like it. But there are 3 levels of Super, and the longer you wait to build up the higher Super level, the more likely you'll be to be able to KO the opponents with it. They said the level 3 Supers will almost always KO at least somebody.

hmmm. I know people think I'm just a nintendo fanboy troll, but that sounds a lot less interesting to me compared to the percentage system. But this is coming from someone who used to play brawl/melee competitively so of course I'm biased.

If it wasn't a clone of this, it would be a clone of something else. You people are acting like the fighter/fighting/brawler genre has been innovative anytime in the last 15 years.

Randdalf

So it's a shameless clone with characters that are nowhere near as unique or recognisable? Meh. I expect it will sell megabux however.

Kitoro

I've always wished that either Capcom, Square-Enix, or Namco would make a great Smash knock-off that could be balanced, deep, and fun enough to ignite a cult tournament following like Smash always does, especially with relatively lag-free online that Smash Bros. Brawl had difficulty with.

I was initially thrilled to hear Sony was stepping up to the plate with this game. Sure, Sony's stable of exclusive characters yield some pretty dull and slim pickings, but I knew they'd reach out to third-parties to make the line-up more interesting and noteworthy. I've been very excited to hear more about this game and see videos, and unfortunately I'm very underwhelmed so far.

While Capcom has bastardized the Onimusha and Viewtiful Joe IPs with Smash knock-offs to little success, and quite a few other series like Digimon, Naruto, and Konami Dream-Mix have all tried to take piece of the Smash Bros. pie, they all ended up as shallow party games, rather than easy to learn, hard to master 4-player fighting games. The downfall to all the above series' stabs at Smash Bros.? Life bars.

If Smash Bros. had life bars in the main mode of gameplay, the series would never have taken off like it did; life bars are just not conducive to the fun, frantic, and epic gameplay that this sub-genre is known for. The return to the stage from both a defensive and offensive standpoint is what makes Smash what it is, and Superbot is doing a great disservice to their imitation by taking the same dead-end route that every other Smash rip-off has taken. Did Nintendo patent the percentage meter in gaming or something?

It's a sad, sad mistake, and one that may very well end up tossing SASBR (ugh, what an acronym; guess we can shorten it to SABR, huh?) on the pile of failed, numb, and depth-devoid Smash imitations along with the likes of the aforementioned series' takes on the sub-genre.

All of the above is strictly in my opinion, of course. Hopefully, despite my concerns regarding the life bars over percentage meters, we'll end up with a balanced game that is fun to play both online and off. I definitely plan on sporting my favorite rapping puppy, if so!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Also, I don't see why the Nintendo fans are offended by this game. If anything, I'd think Nintendo would be flattered at something like this.

Liberty4all

Banned
I just realized that the glow around the characters are only when they have the ability to pull off a super. Take a look, Sly and Sweet Tooth have the glow and each have a Super ready whereas Fat Princess and Radec have no glow and no super ready. So while it is dumb looking it at least has meaning.

Nice catch there.

VanWinkle

Oh, yeah, you're right. Never noticed that.

LOL, Sony is truly a copy machine. I understand that there would always be comparsions but you cannot seriously tell me that this isn't a SSB clone in every conceivable way. My prediction is that this will be in bargain bins in no time. I cannot see this game selling above 500k lifetime.

Glass Rebel

If it wasn't a clone of this, it would be a clone of something else. You people are acting like the fighter/fighting/brawler genre has been innovative anytime in the last 15 years.

There's a difference between making a game in an established genre and making a clone.

sonicmj1

I don't know why everyone's so annoyed that this is like Smash Bros. It's essentially been the only game with that style around since the first one, so I wouldn't mind another developer coming in and taking a crack at it, especially given the gameplay direction SSB has gone with Brawl.

In fact, I'd be happier if it had the percentage-damage/fall scoring, instead of this weird special KO setup. It's like they're designing the game around Final Smashes.

Also, I don't see why the Nintendo fans are offended by this game. If anything, I'd think Nintendo would be flattered at something like this.

Nintendo fans should be happy. If this is actually a good game, and adds new things to the 'genre', it can only help to improve the nintendo offerings by way of competition and comparison.

Is the way it's always been done. Games rarely surpass the series they are imitating, but they do often improve them.

Mdk7

You just KNOW Reggie is gonna make some kind of quip about this at E3
Second thing i thought after seeing the screens.
The first one was "WTF? We knew this was coming, but the rip off is pretty fucking shameful, LOL".

And apart from the whole "inspiration" affaire, the game's frankly looking far from impressive.

jman2050

Nintendo fans should be happy. If this is actually a good game, and adds new things to the 'genre', it can only help to improve the nintendo offerings by way of competition and comparison.

Is the way it's always been done. Games rarely surpass the series they are imitating, but they do often improve them.

So you're saying people should view this game as a prototype to the next Smash Bros game? :p

So you're saying people should view this game as a prototype to the next Smash Bros game? :p

Why not? You know they are going to make one. Hopefully they will learn a thing or two from Sony's effort, because there is certainly room for improvement.

Worst case it fades away into the night as an oddity of 2012. Best case, there is another fun game to play in the world.

KillGore

Competition will usually bring out the best. Imagine a world with only one console, we would probably be lacking many things because there is nothing to compete with.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

The biggest surprise here imo, is how long it took either Sony or MS to try and make a game that mimics SSB. I mean, the games have been out for a while and have proven themselves to be super popular.

Zekes!

I highly doubt Sakurai is going to look or care about this game at all

My gut feeling tells me they placed too much importance on the super attacks if those are the only ways to score. What's the point of "two dozen attacks" if only 2 or 3 of them can get you points? Maybe it really works in execution, but it sounds backwards IMO. We'll see.

And man the highlighting around the characters really does a disservice to the visuals. They need to brighten this game up, and find ways to light the character models so they stick out without forcing them to stick out.
Honestly I think this is a great way to add to the accessibility while retaining the depth.

Whenever I play Super Smash Bros with friends I'll often go up against someone who is way better than me or vise versa, and you just end up getting the shit knocked out of you and eventually you are out of lives and you just sit and watch the better dudes while you wait for the next round to play again.

The way they have it set up now, you can get hit by all the normal attacks and never die, but you still don't want to get hit since that gives players progress towards their special bar. And when you get KO'd by someone using a special I assume they get a point and you reenter the arena, time based instead of live based. Also adds an interesting dynamic in deciding whether you want to use your special now or wait for a bigger special later.

Makes me wonder, do you think getting KO'd will lose all your progress towards your special? I imagine it would. That'd add even greater risk/reward factors. Imagine someone else is about to get to their level 3 special so you use your special early despite it only being a level one and target him.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Competition will usually bring out the best. Imagine a world with only one console, we would probably be lacking many things because there is nothing to compete with.

I agree, but I honestly doubt Nintendo gives much of a shit, not unless this has some seriously massive amazing feature or content that blows people away and starts eating up their sales. And I mean that in a bad way. Nintendo too often exists in its own little bubble and, in the grand scheme of things, would know very well that Smash will still sell regardless of what this does right.

What I'm saying is this could have an incredible single player campaign, and it (annoyingly) wouldn't guaranty the next Smash would.

Darryl

Banned

is there some particular group of nintendo-obsessed fans that i should know about or are you just using that word for anyone who thinks this game looks like a copy

guek

Banned
I agree, but I honestly doubt Nintendo gives much of a shit, not unless this has some seriously massive amazing feature or content that blows people away and starts eating up their sales. And I mean that in a bad way. Nintendo too often exists in its own little bubble and, in the grand scheme of things, would know very well that Smash will still sell regardless of what this does right.

What I'm saying is this could have an incredible single player campaign, and it (annoyingly) wouldn't guaranty the next Smash would.

Normally I'd agree 100% but I think KI:U shows that Sakurai isn't opposed to do things completely differently than what's normally in line with nintendo. He's got enough clout to be able to ignore a lot of the miyamoto influence and do his own thing it seems.

And plus, I don't know whether or not Sakurai was satisfied with subspace emissary, but it's pretty clear he wants smash to have a competent single player. Whether he feels he succeeded or not with brawl, I don't know.

Capable online? :$ :O

JK JK.

Interested in the game hopefully its playable at gamescom.

As far as hardware and OS features go, yes, as far as games go, no. You would still have healthy competition on a single platform.

Top Bottom