• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale GTTV Video

There are 6 characters announced. Wait for reveals of bigger characters....e3 probably.

I get that it's still early on, but as I mentioned afterward, I can't even really think of many Sony characters I desperately want to see. Hopefully this game will help me feel more attached to some of these franchises, which is probably what Sony wants.

Cipherr

Guys I wrote up a timeline to explain the series of events that have taken place the last few months:

Late 2011 - leak revealing sony working on a smash bros style game
April 2012 - sony reveals smash bros style game
April 2012 - people are surprised

It's been crazy. Can't wait to see what happens next.

I honestly have to ask this question. You expected it to be this close to a copy pasta? Answer that question honestly. You expected to see Snakes final smash? Nearly the exact same physics? You expected to see literal mimic moves being performed?

The very day that it was announced I expected something similar. I mean, I guess I expected similarities in the vein of Smash Bros and Powerstone though, this isnt nearly that different. Its much more similar than I imagined, so these responses aren't really surprising. Alot of them are genuine, and its going to be a pretty common reaction man, so buckle up.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I wonder if this guy will be a playable character:

PS3-Baby-Commercial-Screencap-e1321992995967.jpg

prwxv3

I honestly have to ask this question. You expected it to be this close to a copy pasta? Answer that question honestly. You expected to see Snakes final smash? Nearly the exact same physics? You expected to see literal mimic moves being performed?

The very day that it was announced I expected something similar. I mean, I guess I expected similarities in the vein of Smash Bros and Powerstone though, this isnt nearly that different. Its much more similar than I imagined, so these responses aren't really surprising. Alot of them are genuine, and its going to be a pretty common reaction man, so buckle up.

so you have played the game?

I don't understand how damage works in this. Characters are dying with no indication of why. The bars at the bottom seem to be the super bars.

Playstation Smash Bros All Stars is MAD DEEP, YO.

VanWinkle

Did you guys not want this game to be like Super Smash Bros? Also, I'm struggling to figure out why some people are saying this looks terrible, and also that it is basically exactly like SSB. Does that mean SSB is terrible? You can't have two conflicting arguments.

The game is Sony's version of SSB. Isn't that what it has been known as since we first heard about it? There are many fans of Sony's characters, yet many of you act like the very notion is preposterous. I love SSB and am a big fan of Nintendo characters, but I personally like Sony's character arsenal better.

guek

Banned
Now all we need is an Xbox All Stars game! It'd have Master Chief and Fenix and Cortana and Cole and Keyes and Baird and Sarge and so many others! The possibilities are endless!

They're building the hype with Fat Princess and a dude in a helmet from either Killzone or Resistance, because I can never remember which is which. It's kind of hard to make a character driven fighting game when you have like two memorable characters.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Now all we need is an Xbox All Stars game! It'd have Master Chief and Fenix and Cortana and Cole and Keyes and Baird and Sarge and so many others! The possibilities are endless!
Don't forget the dog from Fable 2.

-Eddman-

Kutaragi will be the final boss, and you will need to beat him twice. Did you understand? like 2 jobs, lolololololololololol

OK, horrible jokes aside, it looks interesting. They should license the old blocky Crash, Lara Croft and Cloud Strife models for the ultimate Sony fanservice.

SmithnCo

They're building the hype with Fat Princess and a dude in a helmet from either Killzone or Resistance, because I can never remember which is which. It's kind of hard to make a character driven fighting game when you have like two memorable characters.

They're clearly holding back some of the bigger guns like Drake, Cole, Ratchet, Jak, not to mention third parties. I wouldn't worry about characters.

guek

Banned
Did you guys not want this game to be like Super Smash Bros? Also, I'm struggling to figure out why some people are saying this looks terrible, and also that it is basically exactly like SSB. Does that mean SSB is terrible? You can't have two conflicting arguments.

The game is Sony's version of SSB. Isn't that what it has been known as since we first heard about it? There are many fans of Sony's characters, yet many of you act like the very notion is preposterous. I love SSB and am a big fan of Nintendo characters, but I personally like Sony's character arsenal better.

Uh...no...just because it's a clone of an existing game doesn't mean it retains the qualities of the game it's emulating. I'm interested to see how it plays, but the health bar seems odd and the art direction is just terrible at this point.

Just one man's point of view though.

edit: oh were those super bars, not health bars? how does damage work in this game?

SteeloDMZ

Banned

It isn't that hard to understand. I don't think it looks terrible, but what I saw looks like a bland rip-off of Smash. Have you seen the game "NOVA" for iPhone? Compare that to Halo. This is how some people feel about this game, and it's completely understandable.

The characters revealed aren't interesting, the graphics look subpar (although it may be due to the horrible quality of GT's stream), etc.

Cipherr

so you have played the game?

Every single thing I pointed out can be verified from the footage, so it doesnt matter if I havent played the game. I can see the Snake final smash, I can see the air dodging and [Down Arrow + B] move being performed by one of the characters right there in the video, I can see the floaty physics, and I can SEE that, so if you have a point to make, make it. Otherwise move on. Everything I said in my post can be verified by watching the footage.

Yeah you really cant call this bad looking without saying SSB looks bad by proxy. That doesnt make sense.

Ezduo

Banned
I don't understand how damage works in this. Characters are dying with no indication of why. The bars at the bottom seem to be the super bars.

Playstation Smash Bros All Stars is MAD DEEP, YO.
Huh, I think you're right. What's the damage indicator? I can't even really tell if the attacks are filling the super bar either so now I'm just all kinds of confused as to how this works.

M.D

Ken Kutaragi is the final boss.
When he dies, a hidden door is revealed, leading to the temple where the PS4 is forged.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
You know what, I love Smash Bros but I could never get a match going online on the Wii. No doubt the online will work on PS3. Might be worth checking out. Will stay tuned for full character reveal.

Bruiserk

It isn't that hard to understand. I don't think it looks terrible, but what I saw looks like a bland rip-off of Smash. Have you seen the game "NOVA" for iPhone? Compare that to Halo. This is how some people feel about this game.

The characters revealed aren't interesting, the graphics look subpar (although it may be due to the horrible quality of GT's stream), etc.

What does this mean?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Interested to see what third party characters we will be getting, I like the look of the game tbh, I think it could be fun and I think there could be some twists in store at E3, although I will say the colour tone looked a bit drab.

disappointing in how unoriginal it is. I mean, that blatant? I'd expect more from a first party title. At least TRY and make it look different. I mean, this borders on the shit that people KILL game loft for.

Massa

Why does the video on GameTrailers look like trash? I've tried going full screen but it's extremely pixelated and I can barely even see anything.

I had the same problem here. The solution was to reload the page until I got a decent enough quality, and never pause it or use any other control.

The visuals in Smash Bros. are extremely well done, with characters popping from their backgrounds without much of the need for "glows" around the characters. Smash Bros. had a lot of character in its animations, with a lot of different styles and personality, which this game hasn't really shown in its video. I may have missed them but this game doesn't seem to have much in the way of items and pickups either. What they've shown doesn't hint at the kind of emergent gameplay that makes Smash Bros. so incredible.

In short, it just looks uninspired comparatively. Obviously this is an early look but it so far just looks like the typical clone show that you see from Sony sometimes.

There will be plenty more before release so we'll see what happens when it gets closer, but there's not really much so far that has sold me on the game. They don't have the pedigree that somebody like Sakurai has either.

Some observations i've made from the footage

mysteriousmage09 said:
The bars are definitely for the supers. Watch when he is talking about Kratos' supers, when he uses his swords one, the bar next to his portrait goes down. They aren't health bars.

There is also recovery in the game, around 7:47 you can clear as day see Sweet Tooth get sent flying off the the main part of the stage and isn't dead so obvious recovery is in place.

Also the main big list that leaked out that said what Sweet Tooth's main super was with the mech and Kratos using the wings and the fact it was 4 player and Smash Bros. gameplay also stated that every character has the ability to double jump and compared Kratos' wings to Pit from Brawl.

Top Bottom