• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale GTTV Video

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm keeping an open mind, but my initial feeling is that it looks like Smash bros without iconic settings and characters. I love Sony releases as much as the next guy, but what Sony has to offer just pales in comparison to Nintendo's properties.

Hopefully the gameplay makes up for the meh properties.

Also, I think going for KOs over knocking people off the stage is a great idea. Jump Superstars ended up being a great game for this same reason.

The only shown character I give a crap about is Parappa. Let's hope the rest of the roster is a bit more interesting. Patapon, Sackboy, something Team ICO related... I hope they got everything they legally could in there.

And obvious 3rd party stuff like Snake.

They're clearly holding back some of the bigger guns like Drake, Cole, Ratchet, Jak, not to mention third parties. I wouldn't worry about characters.

Yeah, but I don't see any of those being big reveals. I certainly understand my tastes are my own, but there's very few first party Sony games that have even slightly interesting characters. Still, I may just buy it based entirely on Parappa, depending on how crazy he is. I'm just glad someone still remembers that series.

Withnail

Agree with the criticism of Radec but Fat Princess seems like a decent idea for a character to me. They don't need to be loveable or cool, they don't even need to be that famous, they just need to be charismatic and distinctive. Fat Princess definitely has that.

Yuripaw

Banned
Sony just can't seem to stop copying Nintendo. I forget who, but when Sony announced Sixaxis for their controller, someone from Nintendo said "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." I think that applies here as well.

It isn't that hard to understand. I don't think it looks terrible, but what I saw looks like a bland rip-off of Smash. Have you seen the game "NOVA" for iPhone? Compare that to Halo. This is how some people feel about this game.

The characters revealed aren't interesting, the graphics look subpar (although it may be due to the horrible quality of GT's stream), etc.

lol @ claims of uninteresting characters and subpar graphics, especially when we're comparing this to Smash Bros on the Wii, which has noticeably worse visuals.

60fps, very clean look, lots of chaotic action and very involved/animated backgrounds. Love the way this game looks and don't know how anyone could say it looks disappointing visually. Hades level looks freaking awesome, imo.

Lot of salty tears in this thread and bitter haters. I guess that's the normal 'expected' reaction from a defensive fanbase. I love smash and I love this. I love Mario, Link, and I love Kratos, Drake, Jak, etc. Don't see how some characters are more "interesting" than others unless you don't play games on Sony consoles at all (which would not be surprising for some of the detractors). Frankly I don't play the Smash games just for the most popular few characters, I play it for the diversify of the relatively unknown.

Final boss is Mario which leads to the inevitable Smash Bros X All Stars crossover game.

This is what Sakurai was talking about when he said he wanted to do things differently with the next smash, this shit is all starting to make sense guys. Gaf your knowledge and prediction abilities are vast! keep this up!

Raxus

3rd Pary characters I would like to see in the game:
Snake/Jehuty
Dante
Alucard
Chris (RE)
False King (Demon's Souls, INCLUDE TOWER KNIGHT'S MUSIC!)
Bayonetta

I doubt any of these will make it into the game.

Yjynx

Sony just can't seem to stop copying Nintendo. I forget who, but when Sony announced Sixaxis for their controller, someone from Nintendo said "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." I think that applies here as well.

Here we go again...

It actually looks pretty fun.

I need to see some Cole & Nathan Drake and most importantly: Nariko in action.

Possible Third party Characters:
Snake
Ezio
Big Daddy
Dante
Issac Clarke
Batman
Commander Shepard
Some enemy Dark Souls
Prince from Prince of Persia 2008
Adam Jensen

Let the "I want Cloud"-like Smash Bros. requests begin!!

Kyon

Banned

145821_o.gif

i just............. i really cant anymore. Tired of it

Ezalc

I'd be interested in this game if they have Keats/Ellen. Too bad that'll never happen considering only 5 people in all of GAF even know who either one is is. :(

Quoted for new page

Some observations i've made from the footage

mysteriousmage09 said:
The bars are definitely for the supers. Watch when he is talking about Kratos' supers, when he uses his swords one, the bar next to his portrait goes down. They aren't health bars.

There is also recovery in the game, around 7:47 you can clear as day see Sweet Tooth get sent flying off the the main part of the stage and isn't dead so obvious recovery is in place.

Also the main big list that leaked out that said what Sweet Tooth's main super was with the mech and Kratos using the wings and the fact it was 4 player and Smash Bros. gameplay also stated that every character has the ability to double jump and compared Kratos' wings to Pit from Brawl.

prwxv3

Sony fans=we want a crossover fighting game like Smash Bros.
Sony=Sure why the fuck not it could be fun.

Nintendo Fanboys:
133269720257.jpg

VanWinkle

It isn't that hard to understand. I don't think it looks terrible, but what I saw looks like a bland rip-off of Smash. Have you seen the game "NOVA" for iPhone? Compare that to Halo. This is how some people feel about this game, and it's completely understandable.

The characters revealed aren't interesting, the graphics look subpar (although it may be due to the horrible quality of GT's stream), etc.

Actually it can't be compared like NOVA to Halo. Nova takes a massive step down in production values, graphics, story, and controls, among other things compared to Halo. How much of that can be pertained in this situation?

The characters revealed aren't...interesting? Isn't that a little subjective? I was happy to see the characters I did, and find all of them interesting.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Did you guys not want this game to be like Super Smash Bros? Also, I'm struggling to figure out why some people are saying this looks terrible, and also that it is basically exactly like SSB. Does that mean SSB is terrible? You can't have two conflicting arguments.

The game is Sony's version of SSB. Isn't that what it has been known as since we first heard about it? There are many fans of Sony's characters, yet many of you act like the very notion is preposterous. I love SSB and am a big fan of Nintendo characters, but I personally like Sony's character arsenal better.

lol @ claims of uninteresting characters and subpar graphics, especially when we're comparing this to Smash Bros on the Wii, which has noticeably worse visuals.

60fps, very clean look, lots of chaotic action and very involved/animated backgrounds. Love the way this game looks and don't know how anyone could say it looks disappointing visually. Hades level looks freaking awesome, imo.

Lot of salty tears in this thread and bitter haters. I guess that's the normal 'expected' reaction from a defensive fanbase. I love smash and I love this. I love Mario, Link, and I love Kratos, Drake, Jak, etc. Don't see how some characters are more "interesting" than others unless you don't play games on Sony consoles at all (which would not be surprising for some of the detractors). Frankly I don't play the Smash games just for the most popular few characters, I play it for the diversify of the relatively unknown.

Noticeably worse visuals? What are you talking about? The quality of the stream is absolute shit so it's hard to compare, but nothing looks impressive about it, and to me, Brawl looks better, specially art-direction wise. Oh, and it's a game running on ancient hardware.

stage04_070622b-l.jpg

Yeah, it looks considerably worse than the PS game, lol lol.

As far as uninteresting character goes, shit, someone like Radec or Fat Princess wouldn't make it as assistant trophies on Smash. Tell me with a straight face that you think those are cool characters, specially for a game called "All-Star Battle Royale"

Fou-Lu

Will buy if only to own all the other Sony characters as Jak. Also love that the stages are crossovers not just the characters that fight on them.

Yuripaw

Banned
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/145821_o.gif[IMG]

i just............. i really cant anymore. Tired of it[/QUOTE]

What?? Come on, I'm just being honest. To say that this is not a direct rip off of Smash Bros, you're just blind. The fact that no other games exist like this (besides maybe DreamMix TV World Fighters, which kinda sucked from what I played), I don't know how anyone can say that they're not copying Nintendo.

guek

Banned
Do people throwing out the term fanboys left and right actually think this game looks good? And I'm not saying it wont be, though I am currently unimpressed by what I've seen.

And if it does look good, what did you find appealing?

Top Bottom