• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation France tweets: Minecraft PS4 digital release is coming tomorrow

Into

https://twitter.com/playstationfr/status/506788738106941441

Digital release tomorrow, no date for the physical release yet.

Block if old.

Edit: I never played Minecraft and I'm not a very creative person when it comes to building stuff. Is the game worth it for me? I feel like I have to buy it just to know what all the fuss is about.

It dosent just have to be about being creative, you can play the game as its "intended" by trying to survive each night and explore areas and find new ore to build new stuff and advance.

Me and a friend always go on a "mining trips" deep within the earth, take tons of food, torches and try to harvest as much ore as we can, then go back, but usually we forge a new way. One time we started digging up and unknown to us, we were under a lake, so we dug the last brick and lo and behold tons of water started pouring, turning off the torches, complete darkness, drowning, just trying to get up on the surface not knowing how deep this lake even is. We both survived and it was nighttime, raining and we had low health, each ran seperate way because skeletons were shooting our asses.

coolstorybro etc. But that kind of organic stuff does not happen in many games, it was a great moment and we laughed all the way through. Sure CoD and other games have scripted "dude awesome lol" moments, but they happen to everyone, the exact same way. Nothing is scripted is Minecraft, its all just random by chance.

The console version is great for newcomers because you do not need to know recipes to build anything, you just whip out a menu and make it.

S7x7FJP.gif

It's almost like you knew the answer to your own question and were just being an ass. Almost.
I have no idea what the answer is. I'm asking because I bought the 360 version and later found out it had a limited scope. And I was hoping to find out if this was the case with the PS4 version as well. Wtf...?

lol for thinking world size is limited because of the consoles
Like...the 360 and PS3 versions...? What the fuck is going on with the attitude in this thread?

Into

I have no idea what the answer is. I'm asking because I bought the 360 version and later found out it had a limited scope. And I was hoping to find out if this was the case with the PS4 version as well. Wtf...?

Like...the 360 and PS3 versions...? What the fuck is going on with the attitude in this thread?

The PlayStation 4 version of Minecraft will feature worlds 36 times bigger than those in the PlayStation 3 version and it will take advantage of the DualShock 4’s unique feature, Mojang’s Owen Hill announced on the PlayStation Blog.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mi...orlds-uses-dualshock-4-touchpad/1100-6420494/

Which for me is enough, i found the 360/PS3 version just a tad too small, but i dont need infinite worlds personally. 36 times is enough for me, hell 10 is enough for me.

What? You're post sounded like you just came in to have a jab at the consoles because they don't have infinite worlds.

FYI. The next gen versions are 36 times bigger so that should be plenty of room.

WTF? I realize MC needs no introduction at this point but wouldn't you want to give consumers are least a couple days' notice that a huge hit game is releasing on your new hit platform?

komplanen

lol for thinking world size is limited because of the consoles

Maybe they wanted to sell more chunks as micro-transactions or perhaps they couldn't fit all the world on a DVD and decided to limit the download for parity. I for one believe the console versions could have had infinite worlds but it's the man, man.

WTF? I realize MC needs no introduction at this point but wouldn't you want to give consumers are least a couple days' notice that a huge hit game is releasing on your new hit platform?
4J's development process is really fucking weird. Also, apparently the rules don't apply for them that apply to every other single Dev. Sony thirsty for that Minecraft chart gold.

Just wish they'd be as hasty with the Vita version (which I realize I talk about far too much)

stephen08

Minecraft bucks the typical trends and sells well months and years in to release. A stealth launch isn't going to hurt them one bit.

baconcow

Assuming the world shares the same depth/height as the PS3/Xbox 360 version, we can expect the size of the world to be 5172 x 5172 blocks, increased from 862 x 862 blocks. This results in a world size that is 36 times larger. I purchased the PS3 version, recently, and found it incredibly small in size. With an increase view distance and 1080p, this should be a nice improvement for coop play.

SerTapTap

Is this real Minecraft, or is this limited world because lol consoles size Minecraft...?

World size is much bigger, and they've promised to keep the console versions much more updated than they used to be relative to the PC version. But console versions were NEVER as limited as Pocket version.

BigDug13

Assuming the world shares the same depth/height as the PS3/Xbox 360 version, we can expect the size of the world to be 5172 x 5172 blocks, increased from 862 x 862 blocks. This results in a world size that is 36 times larger. I purchased the PS3 version, recently, and found it incredibly small in size. With an increase view distance and 1080p, this should be a nice improvement for coop play.

As much as infinite worlds are cool, I'm actually ok with that size. There's something to be said about knowing that you're on a continent that you can eventually learn all the secrets of. It's just too bad that the save file size is the stumbling block and that Sony and MS can't make exceptions for Minecraft specifically on PS3 and 360 and Vita. If mobile can be infinite, surely PS360/Vita can handle 5172x5172

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Is this real Minecraft, or is this limited world because lol consoles size Minecraft...?

Not real Minecraft. They say the worlds will be "much bigger" than the ones on 360 and PS3, but that doesn't mean shit when you stop to think that the worlds in those versions were ridiculously small.

baconcow

I believe, in the current PC version, the player is limited to movement within 30,000,000 x 30,000,000 blocks. However, beyond this, the world generates a simplified version. I was hoping for a world at least 5000 to 10,0000 blocks, so I must admit I am adequately satisfied at 5,172.

Why would I take a jab at consoles? I don't even play PC games. I was questioning the quality of the ports, not the ability of the systems to handle them.

Has nothing to do with "quality". Their reasoning is that the game saves are automatically uploaded to the cloud every few minutes (supposedly). Unlimited world could lead to 1GB uploads every few minutes, which would make no sense financially for anyone.

5000 sounds a bit small. From the center, that's only one day and night cycle. If playing in creative, that's plenty, but in survival I like to explore quite a few days out looking for ravines, mountains and other natural formations with good resources. I guess I'm just not a fan of strip mining, I like finding stuff naturally exposed. This size would really suck if half of it was water/desert/jungle biomes.

Eggbok

I really hope they make texture packs inspired by pc shaders and texures. Would love to play Minecraft with realistic looking water and lighting, it's so amazing on PC.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I really hope they make texture packs inspired by pc shaders and texures. Would love to play Minecraft with realistic looking water and lighting, it's so amazing on PC.

Yep it'd be awesome

we making a GAF world?

Mindwipe

If Sony likes money they should do a TV ad that shows Minecraft on the PS4, then remote play to the Z3 family so the parents get their damned TV back.

Any updates on the Vita version?
Still bug fixing as of a week ago. Chances are it'll be relatively soon, as this cert process was quick and my personal conspiracy theory goes that they were probably massively sidelining the Vita game to get the more profitable XB1/PS4 versions out.

Hopefully shouldn't be long.

ringlord

Has nothing to do with "quality". Their reasoning is that the game saves are automatically uploaded to the cloud every few minutes (supposedly). Unlimited world could lead to 1GB uploads every few minutes, which would make no sense financially for anyone.

Then I wonder how the iPad edition manages to have infinite worlds. The save file is no where near 1 GB. It's about 10 MB.

But maybe that's bad enough. A 10 MB upload every 5 minutes would suck up 120 MB of bandwidth for every hour played.

Foshy

Still bug fixing as of a week ago. Chances are it'll be relatively soon, as this cert process was quick and my personal conspiracy theory goes that they were probably massively sidelining the Vita game to get the more profitable XB1/PS4 versions out.

Hopefully shouldn't be long.

I'm guessing it'll be in 2 weeks. Would not be too long of a delay while still giving them time.

5000 sounds a bit small. From the center, that's only one day and night cycle. If playing in creative, that's plenty, but in survival I like to explore quite a few days out looking for ravines, mountains and other natural formations with good resources. I guess I'm just not a fan of strip mining, I like finding stuff naturally exposed. This size would really suck if half of it was water/desert/jungle biomes.

I've never played the game but I always thought the whole thing would be dynamic so that when you reach the boundaries of your world you could stumble into someone else's creation.

Top Bottom