• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita = TWO HUNDRED FORTY NINE US DOLLARS ($249)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KamenSenshi

I think this screen must be broken I keep seeing $249 for Vita and that can't be correct because I would have to purchase one a lot sooner than I expected.

Clunker

Will wait for official confirmation, but ... Jesus. I don't think I'll be in on Day 1, but once a good deal rolls around this is totally mine. All hail the handheld future.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Sony Computer Entertainment Announces "PlayStation®Vita" as the Official Name for Next Generation Portable Entertainment System
Wi-Fi Model: 24,980 Yen (including tax), $249 and euro 249
3G/Wi-Fi Model: 29,980 Yen (including tax), $299 and euro 299

Press Release Source: Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. On Monday June 6, 2011, 9:30 pm

TOKYO, June 6, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) (PCH-1000 series) as the official platform name for the next generation portable entertainment system (codename: NGP). Wi-Fi model will be available for 24,980 yen (including tax) in Japan, $249 in US and euro 249 in Europe, 3G/Wi-Fi model will be available for 29,980 yen (including tax) in Japan, $299 in US and euro 299 in Europe and successively launch in global market starting the end of 2011.

"Vita," which means "Life" in Latin, was chosen as the most appropriate name for the next generation portable entertainment system as it enables a revolutionary combination of rich gaming and social connectivity within a real world context. SCE is aiming to transform every aspect of user's daily life into an entertainment experience.

PS Vita incorporates a beautiful 5-inch multi-touch organic light emitting diode (OLED) as the front display and a unique multi-touch pad on the rear. Together with the front touch screen and the rear touch pad, PS Vita offers new game play experiences never before seen on any device, allowing users to interact directly with games in three dimension-like motion, through "touch, grab, trace, push and pull" finger motions. Also PS Vita features two analog sticks which enable a wider range of game genres to be brought into the portable experience, such as shooters, action games, and fighting games. Exciting and attractive new titles*1 are scheduled to be released from SCE Worldwide Studios, including "GRAVITY DAZE," "Uncharted Golden Abyss," "Little Deviants," "Hot Shots Golf," "Reality Fighter," "Hustle Kings," "ModNation Racers," "Wipeout 2048" and "Super Stardust Delta," as well as from a broad range of third party game developers and publishers, which will deliver value only possible on PS Vita.

Also, by having both Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity, together with various applications, PS Vita will enable infinite possibilities for users to "encounter," "connect," "discover," "share" and "play" with friends wherever they are. On January 27, 2011, SCE announced the first PS Vita application, "near," which will come pre-installed. It will let users discover what games PS Vita users in the vicinity are or were recently playing, as well as let users share their game information. "near" also enables location-based gaming features such as "gifting," in which a user can access virtual game-related items that other users are sharing, through checking in at geographic locations that others have also visited. The virtual items can include content unlocked from games, such as character costumes, weapons, and treasures. Sharing these items between users adds a unique dimension to the portable gaming experience on PS Vita while enhancing the social connectivity among the PS Vita community.

Additionally, PS Vita will come pre-installed with a newly developed application called "Party." "Party" is an innovative application for a portable entertainment system which enables users to enjoy voice chat or text chat not only during online gaming, but also when users are playing different games or using different applications such as internet browser. Through "Party," which offers a new form of social networking, and "near," which enables users to share their game information with other users anywhere, anytime, users can dramatically expand the boundaries of interactive communication.

Also a tutorial application called "Welcome Park," developed specifically to guide every user about PS Vita's brand new user interface such as the front touch display and the multi-touch pad on the rear, will come pre-installed. By playing "Welcome Park," users can easily become accustomed to the three dimension-like finger motions used on PS Vita.

SCE will vigorously promote PS Vita towards the launch as the next generation portable entertainment platform and work towards expanding the portable gaming market.*1 Some title names are tentative. Titles may differ by countries and regions.
bam

M3d10n

It's like opposite $599 day! Holy shit! Guess it's time to drop the DSi XL to $129 and the 3DS to $169, Nintendo.

wsippel said:
I'm not sure Nintendo has to do anything at this point. Vita will most likely tank in the west no matter what, anyway.

Not at $250 it won't.

Everything that was wrong with PSP - controls, network functionality, features - is seemingly correct on Vita.

I am fucking HYPED.

Also I'm now debating going all-handheld next generation like I was planning to do this generation (that fell apart when I found deals on the Wii and 360 I couldn't refuse)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
outunderthestars said:
Nintendo's greed comes back to bite them in the ass......
We'll know in 2 years. PSP had a lead on the DS after a year, after all, and their launches were a lot closer together.

GJS

So are Sony selling at cost again? Is Sony Entertainment going to plummet into the negatives with the PSV launch?
cumulativetotals_low.jpg

Trurl

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
Not going to happen when the thing's been on the market less than three months.

That'd be a good way to piss off your customers.
As a person who bought a 3DS, I would rather feel cheated out of a bit of money than to have spent $250 on a moribund system. Lower that price, Ninty.

wsippel said:
I'm not sure Nintendo has to do anything at this point. Vita will most likely tank in the west no matter what, anyway.
And you assume this why?

If my experience with the gaming industry has taught me one thing, it's that there's no such thing as a guaranteed success/failure. N64/PS3/PSP/... were "unexpected failures", PS1/DS/360/Wii... were "unexpected successes". Not to mention, on most of those consoles and handhelds, gaf totally predicted the wrong outcome.

captmcblack said:
Not at $250 it won't.

Everything that was wrong with PSP - controls, network functionality, features - is seemingly correct on Vita.

What. That's like saying the Game Boy Advance fixed what was wrong with the Game Boy Color.

Alot of that stuff just wasn't feasible in 2004.

Kalnos

Banned
captmcblack said:

I'd say software is what was really wrong with the PSP, that will be the true determining factor.

f@luS

More than a member.
holy fuck

nintendo get ur 3DS at 100$ !

oh wait.. i need to finish OOT and i resell it , and sell it at 100$ !

Plinko said:
Joystiq is saying it was from a Sony press release.

I think $250 is an incredible price, and better than most people hoped. There's no way Sony wouldn't mention it if it were the final price. If the conference ends without an announcement I'm going to assume something was changed, possible at the last minute and it will be significantly more expensive. I'd love to be wrong though.

midonnay

history is repeating itself....

except the PSV is now the DS

Nintendo went with bleeding edge tech: 3D

Sony went with tried and true and they're going to kill the 3DS

Trurl said:
As a person who bought a 3DS, I would rather feel cheated out of a bit of money than to have spent $250 on a moribund system. Lower that price, Ninty.

*massages temples*

Really. REALLY?

This is like a damn note-for-note repeat of the original PSP's announcement.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Might actually buy one after this price. Looks good; nothing spectacular but I've been craving some handheld enjoyments.

wsippel

Banned
captmcblack said:
Not at $250 it won't.

I am fucking HYPED.
The software was what was wrong with PSP - not the controls, network functionality or features. PSP was superior to DS in all those areas. There simply was no compelling software, and now the mindshare is gone. Uncharted won't fix that.

Wallach

rainking187 said:
I think $250 is an incredible price, and better than most people hoped. There's no way Sony wouldn't mention it if it were the final price. If the conference ends without an announcement I'm going to assume something was changed, possible at the last minute and it will be significantly more expensive. I'd love to be wrong though.

The fuck man, how many times does the link to the Sony press release (which is where Joystiq got this info) have to be posted in this thread?

midonnay said:
history is repeating itself....

except the PSV is now the DS

Nintendo went with bleeding edge tech: 3D

Sony went with tried and true and they're going to kill the 3DS

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Nintendo still has multiple franchises that sell tens of millions. Something Sony does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom