• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita = TWO HUNDRED FORTY NINE US DOLLARS ($249)

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
It'd be great if it's true, but I don't how Sony can sell the Vita at a loss what with the whole PSN hacking debacle.

Kalnos said:
I'd say software is what was really wrong with the PSP, that will be the true determining factor.

Exactly. They're just now showing one third-party Vita title, and it's not even an exclusive. We'll see...

Quacking

WzQM1.png

Day one.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm not believing these prices unless it's something they announce during this conference. now ay a price like that would not get announced AT the conference.

Totally bought if true though.

Hugely unexpected.

Nintendo fucked up with 249. They cant drop now, or early adopters will be hella pissed.

Id expect a November 4 price drop for 3DS.

And I expect angry sony stockholders. No way 249 is below cost.

Effect

Price is good and it should force Nintendo to do more to fight back but it still comes down to the games. It always does in the end.

RevDM

Banned
Hey guys I'm currently traveling through airports. Has there been any price cuts to consoles ps3 or 360?
Thanks

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
AbsoluteZero said:
I swear to...did someone bump this thread from 2004?
No...no, it might actually be this time. Tomorrow Nintendo has to reveal a killer app for the 3DS. They need something to finally push systems. If not, Sony just might have a chance.

Krowley

AceBandage said:
Haha. Really?

Yeah, I think so. People already think the 3ds is too expensive and this thing has capabilities that just destroy it in an eye-popping kind of way. I don't think games will be enough to let them win in this case. They certainly don't want to go head to head on price.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Long as Nintendo has Pokemon, they win the handheld war. Sony needs to not try to go against the 3DS but continue to support and grow the market they got with the PSP.

kaskade

IT'S FROM A PRESS RELEASE DUDERS.

Just because they didn't announce it yet doesn't mean they won't in the conference. Apple did it today with lion. They weren't like HEY IT'S 29.99 here's the features. They said oh we could charge 129 for this, but guess what, 29. BAM.

eastmen

Banned
after the failure imo of psp , even $250 is a tough sell to me. Esp with whats happened with sony getting hacked, I'm not sure i'd want a portable system from them right now.

Hopefully ms comes out with a handheld

Medalion said:
Zomg nintendo goes third party just cuz Vita is $250, u heard it here first folks!!!
Nah, Nintendo is at least making a decent profit with the 3DS and will continue to do so at least through the holiday season (where it will sell like hotcakes, guaranteed). Meanwhile, Sony is almost certainty selling the Vita at a (sizable) loss. Nevertheless, this is very good news for the consumer in the handheld market.

Krowley said:
Yeah, I think so. People already think the 3ds is too expensive and this thing has capabilities that just destroy it in an eye-popping kind of way. I don't think games will be enough to let them win in this case. They certainly don't want to go head to head on price.

I don't want to live in your gaming world. A world where games aren't important.

soldat7

The games need to be cheap in order to stave off piracy and the iOS. $14.99-29.99 cheap. The PSVITA looks pretty darn amazing.

Foffy

Banned
Jeez..how much is Sony planning on losing with this?

Not that I mind the price..but shit. It's like they made that price just to meet the price of 3DS.

LJ11

Where's Opus and the $400 price tag he kept throwing out?

Just insane that some people thought they'd release a machine above $300, would've been suicide in the current market. At least they have a fighting chance, still higher than most people would pay, but the components will get cheap at pretty quick pace.

wsippel

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
No...no, it might actually be this time. Tomorrow Nintendo has to reveal a killer app for the 3DS. They need something to finally push systems. If not, Sony just might have a chance.
Sony needs something like Mario Kart or Pokémon. Uncharted won't do anything, neither will Bioshock.

This certainly won't kill the 3DS, but it's not going to dominate if this is true. I'm happy sony isn't being dumb and overpricing here: Nintendo needs to get it's ass kicked right now. It's hubris is too much.

Rakzo

Banned
My God, I'm glad that Sony learned from their mistakes.

This does'nt make me regret my 3DS purchase though, it just makes me happier that I'm going to purchase another handheld on launch day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom