• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic removes JonTron from Yooka-Laylee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
He lost a few thousand after the outburst, but the number recovered quickly and now has more than when this all started.

guess I shouldn't be surprised that after all of this shit went down the scum who had ZERO interest in his content are flocking to subscribe to him now that he hates us dirty folks with different skin colors.

I blame South Park.

this shit is getting tiresome, South Park has very much taken a stance on many issues particularly recently they just enjoy taking shots at both sides.

Found this video from a fan of boogie detailing why he is disappointed with his response to this issue. Thought it was really good and shows how having the middle ground hurts your fans.
https://youtu.be/iHN-kk5Rp38

That video was genuinely very good. Open and direct and moving. I appreciate greatly that mrt094 made it. While boogie's flip-flopping is telling and he is definitely on the wrong side of this, I don't doubt that this video could have genuinely gotten through to him a bit.

Hmm. This, I am actually not sure about.

Let's say there's a game you yourself kickstarted a while back. 2 weeks from now there's an update to it: surprise! The dev team thinks this whole situation is shitty and wants to help out poor ol' JonTron, or perhaps sees an opportunity to get some extra sales from an audience they really should not be courting.

They gave JonTron a voice in their game, it's recorded and it's going to be in the final product.

Should you be able to get a refund now that they're enabling a racist? But him being in the game was never part of the KS pitch. You'd still be getting what you backed for.
I wouldn't ask for a refund but I would think twice about supporting Playtonic in the future.

Nairume

Banned
this shit is getting tiresome, South Park has very much taken a stance on many issues particularly recently they just enjoy taking shots at both sides.
They were still responsible for pushing the middleground horseshit for well over a decade and absolutely contributed to the kind of shit that you hear people like Boogie spouting off.

not like this boogie, you SOB

EddvMkp.gif

I blame South Park.

You know, this is why I stopped watching South Park. Maybe the show has changed, but before the hate stuff there, while it can be seen as just a joke, this is the stuff racists feed on.

Cartman in particular is a vile character and if he was a real life character, no one bar racists would like him.

Maximo

They were still responsible for pushing the middleground horseshit for well over a decade and absolutely contributed to the kind of shit that you hear people like Boogie spouting off.

People still call out South Park? Do you even watch it? South Park is primary left that takes jab at anything and everything and takes it to a extreme form of parody, its not the shows fault if some dickheads don't understand irony that the show is making fun of them and run with it.

You know, this is why I stopped watching South Park. Maybe the show has changed, but before the hate stuff there, while it can be seen as just a joke, this is the stuff racists feed on.

Cartman in particular is a vile character and if he was a real life character, no one bar racists would like him.

Cartman is supposed to be scum though. And kyle the voice of reason. And Stan the guy who kind of sticks with Kyle here and there but is very much the everyday American. Each character has their role. If people relate to Cartman that very much is a problem of theirs, it doesn't mean he's the writer's voice.

Codeblue

Maybe we can go back to the 3/5th compromise. The bigots get to keep their supremacy and minorities get to contend that they are still (at least partially) human. That's the middle ground between equality and inequality, right?

And comparing feminism to white supremacy? What a disappointment.

L Thammy

While I'm not sure I'd condemn South Park, I think it often gives people too much credit to assume that they'll understand satire. Consider the Dead Kennedys, who had to make a song explicitly berating Nazi punks because describing the government doing horrible things wasn't enough to convince their unintended Nazi fans that they weren't good.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You guys can't look at immediate numbers. It's just like with Colin's little venture. He becomes a lightning rod to fight SJWs and they know we are watching. It's a cause celebre.

jett

D-Member
You guys can't look at immediate numbers. It's just like with Colin's little venture. He becomes a lightning rod to fight SJWs and they know we are watching. It's a cause celebre.

Holy shit that mofo is getting 40k a month. Simply for being a douchebag. Literally more than KindaFunny. Almost as much as twice as both of their patreons.

The fuck.

Par Score

Hmm. This, I am actually not sure about.

Let's say there's a game you yourself kickstarted a while back. 2 weeks from now there's an update to it: surprise! The dev team thinks this whole situation is shitty and wants to help out poor ol' JonTron, or perhaps sees an opportunity to get some extra sales from an audience they really should not be courting.

They gave JonTron a voice in their game, it's recorded and it's going to be in the final product.

Should you be able to get a refund now that they're enabling a racist? But him being in the game was never part of the KS pitch. You'd still be getting what you backed for.

If you don't see the difference between supporting an outspoken racist, and opposing an outspoken racist, then I suppose this point would make sense.

But those two things are not equivalent in any way.

People asking for refunds because an outspoken racist was removed from a game deserve nothing. People asking for refunds because an outspoken racist was added to a game deserve their money back. Easy.

I mean, like, literally this:

(dril is too good for this world)

Edit: I should probably clarify that this wasn't intended as an insult, it just seemed apposite.

Fuchsdh

There's also a difference between pointing out "both sides have hypocrites, etc" and saying "both sides have valid points of view" or "the issues are comparable."

I think Sarkeesian says some dumb shit sometimes, but trying to equate that with JonTron's racial purity schtick? Get outta' town, Boogie.

(That said I think South Park sometimes just goes for easy cynicism rather than taking a stand.)

If you don't see the difference between supporting an outspoken racist, and opposing an outspoken racist, then I suppose this point would make sense.

But those two things are not equivalent in any way.

People asking for refunds because an outspoken racist was removed from a game deserve nothing. People asking for refunds because an outspoken racist was added to a game deserve their money back. Easy.

I am not saying that the two situations are equivalent, I was responding to two posts that made the specific argument that people cannot request refunds if whatever occurred was outside the normal scope of the KS. There were quite a few people speaking in those sorts of terms, e.g. "the normal period for requesting refunds has expired." if the ethics supersede that then we shouldn't pretend this is just a terms-of-service thing.

BBboy20

But hopefully AJ isn't one of them. It will tear me apart as I love the guy.
I was watching his stream on Trump's win. He was ranting about Hillary failing to win what should have been the easiest election in history. He then started looking up Trump boardgames. Somebody mentioned him voting for Trump as some form of irony but I don't know.

Real Hero

they already had him become an annoying pewdiepie competitor who appealed to young kids with his antics and commentary. I doubt they'd go there again.

yea that's true. although they have good reasons to tie pewdiepie back into something like that considering what happened with him. But yeah they probably won't go back to it

Biske

Fuck this motherfucking clown.

Ah yes the global cabal tasked with taking down youtubers. Once you upload that first video, you put a target on your back. WE ALL KNOW IT!

Who are these key players who forced Jontron into this debate? We must get to the bottom of this.

I just love, how whenever one of these people run into a situation where their words or actions backfire on them its because everyone is out to get them and to silence them. Yet in the same breadth they are foaming at the mouth for say Nintendo to fire Allison Rapp or whatever person who's views they don't like is currently talking and they want it to stop.

Cause free speech and fair minded openness you know.

joe2187

Banned
Holy shit that mofo is getting 40k a month. Simply for being a douchebag. Literally more than KindaFunny. Almost as much as twice as both of their patreons.

The fuck.

Once again.

These moderates who say they have no bias, (when they're clearly very very right leaning) are nothing more than pedestal for the alt right to vomit their propaganda.

I makes shit like "Pizzagate" seem like something legitamate instead of something to be ignored and ridiculed. And if you dont know wht Pizzagate is....be glad you're unsullied to know to how utterly low the Alt-right can go.

jholmes

yea that's true. although they have good reasons to tie pewdiepie back into something like that considering what happened with him. But yeah they probably won't go back to it

Given how many people have got ripped in half on South Park, I'm guessing they probably want to forget that Pewdiepie was the one person they decided to treat with kid gloves. Just my guess.

RinsFury

The fuck.

Sickening. $40,000 from nazis and white supremacists that think they are sending a message.

L Thammy

Ah yes the global cabal tasked with taking down youtubers. Once you upload that first video, you put a target on your back. WE ALL KNOW IT!

Who are these key players who forced Jontron into this debate? We must get to the bottom of this.

I just love, how whenever one of these people run into a situation where their words or actions backfire on them its because everyone is out to get them and to silence them. Yet in the same breadth they are foaming at the mouth for say Nintendo to fire Allison Rapp or whatever person who's views they don't like is currently talking and they want it to stop.

Cause free speech and fair minded openness you know.

Deep within Mount Vesuvius, through an endless maze of booby-trapped caves, there is a fortress. The sound of the boots of a thousand spies and reporters can be heard. The fortress of the Mainstream Media. In their meeting room, gathered at an arc-shaped table and cast in shadow, they plot the demise of YouTube.

The Faker, a crime lord whose countless minions can make any innocent YouTuber look like a racist at the touch of a button. The Feminazi, once Hitler's own right hand man, plots every day to make women the protagonists of all video games. The Shill, who possessed the supernatural power to disguise himself as a member of a YouTuber's fanbase and ruin their reputation. All the most evil men and women in the world were gathered.

The screen in the center of the room turned on, and a shadowy figure could be seen. He spoke in a hoarse voice.

"There is a man who has been standing in our way, who threatens to destroy our entire organization. We need to act now, before it's too late. I want all of you together to bring me this man's head. Bring me the head of this...

...this JonTron."

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Wait, are these "key players" trying to take jontron down because of his racist "views"?

Are these "key players" anyone who isn't white?

What the hell is going on here

shiyrley

Banned
I want to say that I feel bad for Playtonic. They made the right call no doubt, but it's incredible shitty they have been put in this situation in the first place. Now their steam comminity, twitter responses, facebook comments, etc, will be filled with hate all over the place.

It sucks to live in a world where wanting to distance yourself from a white supremacist is seen as bad by a considerable amount of people.

Guys, make sure to support this game.

joe2187

Banned
Deep within Mount Vesuvius, through an endless maze of booby-trapped caves, there is a fortress. The sound of the boots of a thousand spies and reporters can be heard. The fortress of the Mainstream Media. In their meeting room, gathered at an arc-shaped table and cast in shadow, they plot the demise of YouTube.

The Faker, a crime lord whose countless minions can make any innocent YouTuber look like a racist at the touch of a button. The Feminazi, once Hitler's own right hand man, plots every day to make women the protagonists of all video games. The Shill, who possessed the supernatural power to disguise himself as a member of a YouTuber's fanbase and ruin their reputation. All the most evil men and women in the world were gathered.

The screen in the center of the room turned on, and a shadowy figure could be seen. He spoke in a hoarse voice.

"There is a man who has been standing in our way, who threatens to destroy our entire organization. We need to act now, before it's too late. I want all of you together to bring me this man's head. Bring me the head of this...

...this JonTron."

That Shadowy figures name?

Obama!

(Sick)/Sad.

I want to say that I feel bad for Playtonic. They made the right call no doubt, but it's incredible shitty they have been put in this situation in the first place. Now their steam comminity, twitter responses, facebook comments, etc, will be filled with hate all over the place.

It sucks to live in a world where wanting to distance yourself from a white supremacist is seen as bad by a considerable amount of people.

Guys, make sure to support this game.

I wasn't interested before, but I'll probably pick it up now.

Chumley

Banned
Doesn't this seem like an odd reaction?

Not Boogies, I expected no less from him, but this vitriolic reaction specifically. Seems a bit extreme. I don't know if Boogie straddling the "both sides" line once again merits all that.

He's calling white supremacy and racism "another view", equating it as if it's on the same level as anything else.

He is not "straddling both sides". He's taking a side of fucking delusional ignorance and normalizing hate speech. Fuck him.

Biske

...this JonTron."

That Shadowy figures name?

Obama!

(Sick)/Sad.

The deep state. My god. Mind blown.

I hope Jontron gets a Trump Cabinet position quick, he needs the protection.

Anung

Un Rama

Not Boogies, I expected no less from him, but this vitriolic reaction specifically. Seems a bit extreme. I don't know if Boogie straddling the "both sides" line once again merits all that.

How is it not delusional to think "key players" are going after people's careers out of secret agenda and not because that person said some truly reprehensible things? That makes him a prick in my book.

I've said before this thread that I think Boogie's fence sitting is almost as bad. At least with JonTron's vitriolic opinion I know where he stands. Boogie allows bigotry to exist through sheer passivity. He doesn't want to rock the boat in cause of blow back on his livelihood but presents it "new hats" and "political views" and all this middle ground lets love each other crap. Then when he gets called out on it he plays victim and gets his fanbase to give him a pat on the back.

It pisses me off because he should know better.

Wallach

Nah I ain't think it's like that. He probably means the normal SJW boogeymen like NeoGAF, Kotaku, etc. etc.

the entire reason cowards hide behind this kind of empty wagging is that the listener is the one left to fill in the intentional blanks

Alienfan

You know what I hate most about these moderate Youtubers that come out to defend this type of shit. (Total Biscuit, H3h3, Boogie and Colin). They continue to call out usually justified liberal outrage, sometimes even making videos about it, but Fail to Ever call out their own far more toxic fan base. It's sickening watching Boogie stick up for Tron, yet never call out stuff like this:

l5C87hs.jpg

He is normalizing toxic views by calling them just different viewpoint and opinions. He says we need to meet people like that in the middle. He plays the victim card straight away when he is criticized for it. He is reinforcing the view that the media and such are out to get the poor Youtubers. And he shares that with an audience of 3 million people on Youtube and half a million on Twitter.

So yes, it is a perfectly fine reaction to call him for what he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom