• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic removes JonTron from Yooka-Laylee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure this didn't get posted here. As apposed to the majority of grotesque content around this issue, this was pretty light.

I assume Playtonic made one of these for each of the characters and scheduled them to be posted on twitter each day this month. Yesterday's character/quote was uh, unfortunate timing.
I like the idea that they were taking the piss out of the people harassing them on twitter.

jiyGMVa.png

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Seeing how these guys are so obsessed with genetics-

Someone should do a study to see if men who are only able to grow a beard on their neck are predisposed to be socially awkward codenscending racist and/or sexist assholes.

I just can't wrap my head around why anyone would choose to grow a neckbeard given the decades long stigma surrounding it... unless you wear it to show you proudly embrace the traits and values that it signifies in society.

Man, this continues to be true even today.

It will continue to be true when the Sun goes out assuming mankind or their successors still exist. If we've completely outgrown racism by then, then it'll be any other issue (probably interstellar migration, heh). Change is always scary and people will always instinctively resist it by default even when they rationally know it's just and necessary; this is especially true when they're not directly affected (let alone when they may actually be inconvenienced). Rationalizations to delay and even resent that change will always be ready at hand, as they've always been; they're timeless. "be patient", "moderate your tone", "middle ground", "more flies with honey than vinegar", all the same faces of "your oppression is less important than my confort".

My guess would be trying to bait us into saying awful shit about Boogie so they could go "Look I told you, NeoGAF are just a bunch of liberal bullies!".

Whomever's burner account it is, they are not very smart.

Yeah. Luckily, that won't work. Because NeoGAF isn't that.

They found out the hard way.

Nanashrew

Banned
It will continue to be true when the Sun goes out assuming mankind or their successors still exist. If we've completely outgrown racism by then, then it'll be any other issue (probably interstellar migration, heh). Change is always scary and people will always instinctively resist it by default even when they rationally know it's just and necessary; this is especially true when they're not directly affected. Rationalizations to delay and even demonize that change will always be ready at hand, as they're always the same ones. "be patient", "moderate your tone", "middle ground", "more flies with honey than vinegar", all the same faces of "your oppression is less important than my confort".

Imagining all the nerds quoting Char Aznable on leaving the nest and letting mother earth heal herself, and that our refusal to grow up has only brought harm and destruction to earth.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Seeing how these guys are so obsessed with genetics-

Someone should do a study to see if men who are only able to grow a beard on their neck are predisposed to be socially awkward codenscending racist and/or sexist assholes.

I just can't wrap my head around why anyone would choose to grow a neckbeard given the decades long stigma surrounding it... unless you wear it to show you proudly embrace the traits and values that it signifies in society.
Don't fight fire with fire, man.

9udBTJC.png

what the fucking fuck? Is this real?

Like holy fucking hell what the fuck is he thinking
Sorry but this.....this is just....wow.

Boogie2988: "I think you should be able to make jokes about some of the worst shit in life. Sexism, racism, sure sure. I may not choose to make those jokes myself. But I think if you are the person who wants to make those jokes, you sure as shit could. Because I think making jokes of the darkest, sickest, worst parts of life is the only good thing that can come out of those things. The only good thing that can come out of Alzheimer's disease is that terrible joke I tell about my grandmother with Alzheimer's disease. The only [good] thing that can come out of cancer is, mocking it. To make fun of it. I think sometimes that's not only a tool of coping but sometimes it's a tool to make the world better. Sometimes, with a tongue-in-cheek attitude, with a sarcastic attitude, you can draw attention to a very bad ideal. And make people consider that ideal, without accepting it. And change their minds on it. With comedy."

colin_moriarty_women_by_digi_matrix-db3ic23.png

"Maybe Colin is no stand-up comedian but I found his joke to be...thought-provoking at the very least. And I welcome that. And THAT'S the hill I'll die on."

Am I the only one here that's actually sad Jon's voice was taken out of the game? Politics aside, the notion that a garbled voice would upset an audience is more condescending than anything else. But on top of that I really enjoy JonTron's work, I relate to his views on gaming, and to see him in a BK spiritual successor was uplifting and nice to me. To see him taken out for this reason really upsets me and makes me think we're taking too many steps back.

moggio

Banned
Am I the only one here that's actually sad Jon's voice was taken out of the game? Politics aside, the notion that a garbled voice would upset an audience is more condescending than anything else. But on top of that I really enjoy JonTron's work, I relate to his views on gaming, and to see him in a BK spiritual successor was uplifting and nice to me. To see him taken out for this reason really upsets me and makes me think we're taking too many steps back.

You find it confusing why Playtonic wouldn't want a white supremacist associated with their game?

The game is called Yooka-Laylee not Hanga-Darkee.

Playtonic doesn't want to be associated with a dude like JonTron. They don't want people to potentially look into the voice actors (which I assume would show up in a credits reel), see JonTron's name, and be like "why did these devs let a guy who said nonwhite people dilute the gene pool collaborate in their game?".

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
what the fucking fuck? Is this real?

Like holy fucking hell what the fuck is he thinking
Sorry but this.....this is just....wow.

Yes, it's real, I took the screenshot myself a few days ago 'cause I couldn't believe it.

I too would like it better if Jon wasn't a raging white supremacist, but here we are.

Kensuke

The garbled voice isn't what's upsetting, it's the association. Playtonic doesn't want to be associated in any way with Jon and his views. Instead of being upset at him getting deleted from the game you should be upset because of his extremely racist views. Dismissing it all as 'politics aside' makes it sound like you're justifying it.

Playtonic doesn't want to be associated with a dude like JonTron. They don't want people to potentially look into the voice actors (which I assume would show up in a credits reel), see JonTron's name, and be like "why did these devs let a guy who said nonwhite people dilute the gene pool collaborate in their game?".

This is just an opinion, but to me that mindset is dangerous in and of itself. It's allowing hate to spread where it has no place to. And it's saying that playtronic is responsible for everyone involved in the game and the ideas that those people have. Playtronic is just a game company making a game. The views of the people making the game or in any way involved with the game are of their own. If they feel the need to include some text in the game saying as such then by all means. But to rashly act upon this hate and continue it, to spread it, it makes the games industry worse as a whole. And to see gaf feed off this hate is upsetting me.

This is just an opinion, but to me that mindset is dangerous in and of itself. It's allowing hate to spread where it has no place to. And it's saying that playtronic is responsible for everyone involved in the game and the ideas that those people have. Playtronic is just a game company making a game. The views of the people making the game or in any way involved with the game are of their own. If they feel the need to include some text in the game saying as such then by all means. But to rashly act upon this hate and continue it, to spread it, it makes the games industry worse as a whole. And to see gaf feed off this hate is upsetting me.

What hate? Hate for minorities? Immigrants? Playtonic removed the guy with the hateful views.

Lulubop

Nah, you're not the only one showing your ass in this thread

It's allowing hate to spread where it has no place to.

Like JonTron saying non white people shouldn't come into the US because they're genetically predisposed to commit crime?

Removing JonTron from the game isn't "allowing hate to spread". It's nipping it in the bud. It's saying "we won't stand for the hatred of non white people".

Cerium

Whose hate are we talking about here?

Armaros

An obvious alt account, that just became active to tell GAF, they should tolerate intolerance, and that attacking bigotry and white supremcism is just as bad because it's hating bigotry?

🤔

Ah you're one of those.

"Punching a Nazi makes you just as bad as Nazis!"

Take that kindergarten shit somewhere else. Dude is a white supremacist.

Biske

I mean, if being a racist piece of shit isn't considered bad by your standards, wow. It really doesn't matter if your state is red af and full of them, they are still crap.

Nice move from playtonic.

I'm not saying its not bad, its horrible and I hate it. I'm saying people think these youtubers are better than they are and its not so shocking they are rightwing creeps.

Nanashrew

Banned
Opinions that promote bigotry, hatred, and ethnic supremacy support and strengthen those beliefs. Those beliefs power movements. Those movements change society and hurt real people. When an opinion strengthens a harmful and destructive movement, it's something that has to be taken more seriously.

There seems to be a common and naive belief about what opinions represent. The idea that "even if I think it's awful, it's just an opinion, and opinions are sacred. If they weren't, we wouldn't be free!" But "freedom" cannot be a suicide pact. Someone can justify murder by saying it was their sincere "opinion" that a person had to die.

In fact people can use this naive attitude to justify promoting harmful ideologies themselves. One can buy into a racist movement and extol its virtues, then say "It's just my opinion, other people choose to be offended by it, so it's their fault!" That's really common in my experience, and a favorite defense from people who promote awful, harmful beliefs and ideologies.

You are one of my favorite posters on GAF.

DJMicLuv

The irony that racists are feeling persecuted is no doubt lost on them as they generally have no sense of irony. Which is, in itself, ironic.

I liked Boogie more when he just pretended to be a fuck-wit rather than actually being one.

ISee

It is impossible to separate an artist from his work. Both are entwined and rightfully so.
JonTron was als offered the role because of his popularity as a Youtuber and not because he is a great voice actor or artist. Playtronic wanted to bring in more attention to their game by using the JonTron 'brand'.
Now that his YT persona is going downhill in the public eye because of his racism (and this has to be pointed out, we are talking about racism and not opinions) it is very reasonable from playtronic to drop him asap. The JonTron brand is tainted now, nobody wants to be near it. There is no hate involved from playtronic, just normal and reasonable management.

Jon being in the game was never part of the KS pitch. They are under no obligation to refund them.

JonTron being in the game was not part of the KS campaign, so why the fuck would they allow refunds?

Hmm. This, I am actually not sure about.

Let's say there's a game you yourself kickstarted a while back. 2 weeks from now there's an update to it: surprise! The dev team thinks this whole situation is shitty and wants to help out poor ol' JonTron, or perhaps sees an opportunity to get some extra sales from an audience they really should not be courting.

They gave JonTron a voice in their game, it's recorded and it's going to be in the final product.

Should you be able to get a refund now that they're enabling a racist? But him being in the game was never part of the KS pitch. You'd still be getting what you backed for.

I'm not saying its not bad, its horrible and I hate it. I'm saying people think these youtubers are better than they are and its not so shocking they are rightwing creeps.
Idk it shouldn't be shocking to find out that folks who enjoy a certain person's content would hope that said person isn't a prick, so that they can continue to enjoy thd content.

Anung

Un Rama
The big hypocrisy is Boogie lobbied pretty hard against overweight people being hated on. You'd think he'd have some empathy for people being dehumanised because of an attribute.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The big hypocrisy is Boogie lobbied pretty hard against overweight people being hated on. You'd think he'd have some empathy for people being dehumanised because of an attribute.

This would be a good counterargument that maybe he could wrap his head around.

"On this side we have people saying fat people are disgusting loser scum. On the other side we have people saying fat people are just people. Where is the middle ground you would accept from the fat hater?"

L Thammy

He should try that out. Go up to some real survivors of the holocaust and lay on some antisimetic jokes. I bet theyll have such a good laugh. /s

Obviously the ones with a sense of a humour would, but most holocaust survivors need to lighten up.

That Boogie holocaust remark....just...what the fuck is wrong with him?? What a fucking piece of shit to even suggest that would be funny!

Read it again. The worst part isn't that he says that it's not funny, it's how being stealthily dismissive of those that may not.

RinsFury

That Boogie holocaust remark....just...what the fuck is wrong with him?? What a fucking piece of shit to even suggest that would be funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom