• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic removes JonTron from Yooka-Laylee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
Mhmmm.. Boogie says he disagrees to Jontron idealism and says to disconnect yourself from the artists. And half the people in this thread are acting like 3 year olds saying disgusting shit towards him thinking he's supporting racism.

Im very disgusted with gaffers in this thread today.

If he wants to actually set the example for disconnecting from the artists, MAYBE DON'T SPEND SEVERAL DAYS ON YOUR TWITTER DEFENDING THE RACIST SHITHEAD ARTIST?
If Boogie wanted to just be out of it he could. But no, he continues to defend the racist piece of shit. That tells a lot about him.

Mahonay

Banned
Why would you go through the effort of logging into a two year old alt account just to say that out loud on the internet?

Goodbye. You're not helping.
My guess would be trying to bait us into saying awful shit about Boogie so they could go "Look I told you, NeoGAF are just a bunch of liberal bullies!".

Whomever's burner account it is, they are not very smart.

What I said was that there's nothing bad with not partaking in the situation. That's not middle ground. That's just not talking about it. Which is what he says he is going to do, since he doesn't want to lose viewers, but then he starts talking about how everyone should be middle ground as if that is some sort of neutral view. It isn't, as you aptly stated.

Exactly if boogie didn't want to loose he shouldn't have made a video, and moved on. It would have been better for him just to ignore the topic, I agree with you on that but I guess boogie just had to make a video on this and tried to act like both sides need to come together and have a picnic, even though one side believes a race is subhuman compared to them.

Copper

They are confident enough to remove him from the game but not confident enough to allow refunds of backers who disagree with the decision. Really makes you think.

They are confident enough to remove him from the game but not confident enough to allow refunds of backers who disagree with the decision. Really makes you think.

You got em. It was a conspiracy to remove jonnytronny from everything all along. First they went for pewdiepie, now they're coming for jontron.

Somebody save the youtubers

Skyzard

Banned

They spent that money making the game.

Maybe if it does well they'll refund them.

I hope they don't but it might be for the best. They'll either have to end up pirating or pay even more than they kickstarted if they want to play. Enjoy the viruses - just turn off your antivirus for it to work, don't worry about it. Hackers release games for the anonymous cred!

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly if boogie didn't want to loose he shouldn't have made a video, and moved on. It would have been better for him just to ignore the topic, I agree with you on that but I guess boogie just had to make a video on this and tried to act like both sides need to come together and have a picnic, even though one side believes a race is subhuman compared to them.

I mean he didn't just make a video, he's actively trying to profit from the situation as well through monitization. Saying nothing would've been so easy but he's actually trying to make money out of it now

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
And now he's crying about being "bullied" again, just like on his best Neogaf Gamergating days.

NAmVI44.png

Can't make this shit up, and I anxiously await the day he'll get the receipts for his bullshit.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car

Was Jon a stretch goal or something? Otherwise, I'm not sure why a refund would be appropriate

Biske

It's immature, sure... but I hardly consider those things 'toxic'...

One vid he's doing stupid shit like that.. and the other he can be discussing an issue or topic with all seriousness in a rational entirely mature manner. People are complex, and he's no exception. I'm sure being in front of a camera and feeling like you have to be stupid and silly to get views or something doesn't help... but I feel he's one of the ones that at least tries to balance things.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't in good conscious deny him everything good or interesting or funny he's done because he defended someone's right to speak their mind... regardless of how incredibly stupid or horrible that opinion is.

I should admit though that I'm not trying to find every little thing he's ever said and analyse it from a new perspective that's seeded in hate. I've got better things to do than hate everyone who's an idiot. It starts by simply being more positive to those who are positive themselves.

I mean, it leads into a much broader discussion of just why sex and rape is such a part of gaming. Phrases like "I just got raped" after losing is super common. So his line like "fuck you, welcome to the slut club" isn't surprising, but it is disappointing and I think it does highlight a pretty glaring problem, that in a natural state of play, its an hour of jizz songs and shit like that.

My main point is, we shouldn't be so surprised that these people are kind of shitty and have shitty views. He comes off okay when its a planned out edited video, but natural state... nope. Lost a lot of respect for him just watching him live.

But I'm not trying to pick him apart. Just commenting that I've never watched him live before, and seeing him live, its like a piece fell into place and it makes sense.

A lot of these youtube, streamer, gamer folks, are just schlubs with a microphone, yet we are shocked and disappointed when they use it in less than stellar ways. Its interesting.

To me its a lesson that, its not enough that we put ourselves in a good light when we are planning something out. But also we should stop and look at how we act day to day in our normal lives.

Seeing an adult play Splatoon online, a pretty fun and whimsical game and spending it talking about jizz, really highlights a huge problem in gaming and gaming culture for me.

It's no surprise that when these people throw out some political views or social views, they fall short.

Makes you think about what exactly? Is a patch that changes content in any game ever been a reason for a refund?

And now he's crying about being "bullied" again, just like on his best Neogaf Gamergating days.

Can't make this shit up, and I anxiously await the day he'll get the receipts for his bullshit.
I guess to make a career out of Youtube there is an entrance course called "playing the victim".

Kusagari

I mean he didn't just make a video, he's actively trying to profit from the situation as well through monitization. Saying nothing would've been so easy but he's actually trying to make money out of it now

He thinks he's clever by subtly taking the side of shitheads like Jontron while being just "fair" enough that his fans who might disagree still defend him.

Fuck off with this horseshit Boogie. It's so goddamn transparent what you are doing.

L Thammy

Uh.. Putting that aside. Going quote this and highlight the most interesting bits.

That's exactly what Boogie2988 says in his Jontron defense video. He says that he relies on Youtube money for his mortgage and doesn't want to piss off anyone who could take that away. He mentions that the other people he defends are independent, they can make money off other things, but he can't so he has to tow the line.

"These are the same people who came at me 2.5 years ago. That made me step back. You know what, I don't want to die on this hill. This is not something I want to end my career over. I have a mortgage to pay. I'm not going to get other job offers like Colin. I'm not always going to be able to be independent like Jon. I won't be a multi-millionaire like Felix. And be ok. And run my own corporation. I'm just some fat shit in a corner of Arkansaw trying to pay his rent...now paying his mortgage...now trying to pay his medical bills and stay alive. Maybe there is a better way for me. Maybe I will just play with my Pokemon cards. Maybe I'll let those people be outraged at whoever else they want to be outraged with. And while I do that, I can always try to preach a sense of moderation. A sense of free thinking. A sense of figuring things out for yourself. Of being speculative and being suspicious of the things you hear and the things that you see. And to try to encourage people to stop being so far left, stop being so far right, and find the place in the middle.

People who watch this video up to this point or even cut it off 2 minutes in, are using this video as an excuse to try to do that to me. 'Oh he's defending Jon, he's defending an anti-semite, defending a sexist asshole'. And I am. I AM. Because where I don't agree with their opinions, I believe they have every right to their opinions. I believe they have every right to think for themselves and try to feel out. And the problem with the freedom of thought is, sometimes people are gonna think things you don't like. People are going to have opinions and ideas that you don't enjoy. And you have to treat that with a certain level of tolerance and understanding. Because if you approach it with tolerance and understanding, you might very well be able to convince that person otherwise. I do plan to have a conversation with Jon if you allow me to and maybe we'll talk about the stuff. Maybe I'll learn from him, and he'll learn from me, and we'll land somewhere in the middle. Wouldn't that be swell? Because the middle is a great place to be! And people say, you won't stand up for what you believe in, you won't stand up for what you care about, but you know what damnit I stand on this hill! And I'll die on this hill! THIS IS THE ONE I WILL STAND UP FOR! There's no such thing as wrong think. There is no such thing as a wrong opinion. I think it's ok to have whatever shitty opinion you have. And it's the best way to treat someone with a shitty opinion - one that might be morally and objectively wrong - is to try to talk to them, to treat them like a person, to treat them like you care about them, to treat them moderately and maybe with respect and talk to them and try to convince them. Because I'll tell you something. The studies show when you fight someone's beliefs, it only strengthens their beliefs and convictions. You can't change somebody's mind with hate. You can only change somebody's mind with love."

boogie2988_middle_by_digi_matrix-db3h3ud.gif

But this centrism creates opportunities where he comes off as a hypocrite. Examples:

So the way it comes across to me is that the guy is trying to present himself as if he's a defender of the innocent while at the same time being entirely aware that he's helping out someone who isn't. Most jarringly is where he says that there isn't any such thing as a wrong opinion and then immediately talks about how to deal with opinions that are objectively and morally wrong.

And while he wants to be tolerant of everyone, he at the same time demonizes everyone with an "extreme" opinion, even when we're dealing with such horrible extremes like "racism is bad". Don't worry guys, Boogie is going to talk to this racist guy about his racist ideas, and maybe he'll learn something from that racist, and that'll be great.

aubk9ha9qrtz.gif

The bit where he insults himself might be low self esteem, or it might be because he wants you to rush to his defense. Whatever it is, it doesn't support what he's doing.

PSqueak

Banned

isn't the period of refund for KICKSTARTER BACKERS over?

These aren't people who bought the game and want a refund, this are people who invested on a project and the project got done.

It's too late for backer refunds.

Septimius

It's so stupid! He couldn't even follow his own advice of staying out of it!

Jon being in the game was never part of the KS pitch. They are under no obligation to refund them.

Copper

Can I point out the irony of the two elements?

Yup they are okay accepting money of racists and bigots. But not okay with allowing one in their game.

And before people start early throwing out labels (as people love to on here) I am still buying the game, I am just confused why they would not allow refunds.

Mahonay

Banned
Yup they are okay accepting money of racists and bigots. But not okay with allowing one in their game.

And before people start early throwing out labels (as people love to on here) I am still buying the game, I am just confused why they would not allow refunds.
That is some interesting logic there.

I mean more that Boogie should have stayed silent with this situation with stuff like "I'm not going to talk about this". Instead he made a video and is continuing to tweet about this stuff. I love how in his Twitter, to stop racists, you should be nice to them and then they might be nice to you eventually.

DMczaf

When you say a woman fighting for female equality in gaming is just as extreme as a white nationalist...

StoveOven

Banned

If a racist guy gave me 5 bucks, I'd take it. I wouldn't put him in a videogame though.

Kusagari

That is in no way the same thing, by featuring Jontron as a voice in the game they're effectively giving him a platform.

MUnited83

For you.

JonTron being in the game was not part of the KS campaign, so why the fuck would they allow refunds?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

The game is gold and hasn't released yet

its been developed using the money and hasn't been sold

where do you think they're going to get this refund money from?

L Thammy

I'm going to have a lemonade stand where the customer has to fill out a survey on their opinions of immigrants before they get to buy lemonade. I think my customer will be satisfied with the speed and convenience with which they receive their beverage.

PSqueak

Banned

Again, because the period of refund for being a backer is OVER. This people didn't pay for the game (hint, the game is not on sale yet) they paid to fund the development of the game, and the game has already gone gold (that means it's completed, jon tron will be removed via future patch), the period for backers to ask for a refund has expired, for a very long time, and this sort of thing is stuff backers are supposed to understand and agree to before they invest.

If they were stupid enough to not understand, that's their fault, not playtonic's.

I mean, it leads into a much broader discussion of just why sex and rape is such a part of gaming. Phrases like "I just got raped" after losing is super common. So his line like "fuck you, welcome to the slut club" isn't surprising, but it is disappointing and I think it does highlight a pretty glaring problem, that in a natural state of play, its an hour of jizz songs and shit like that.

My main point is, we shouldn't be so surprised that these people are kind of shitty and have shitty views. He comes off okay when its a planned out edited video, but natural state... nope. Lost a lot of respect for him just watching him live.

But I'm not trying to pick him apart. Just commenting that I've never watched him live before, and seeing him live, its like a piece fell into place and it makes sense.

A lot of these youtube, streamer, gamer folks, are just schlubs with a microphone, yet we are shocked and disappointed when they use it in less than stellar ways. Its interesting.

To me its a lesson that, its not enough that we put ourselves in a good light when we are planning something out. But also we should stop and look at how we act day to day in our normal lives.

Seeing an adult play Splatoon online, a pretty fun and whimsical game and spending it talking about jizz, really highlights a huge problem in gaming and gaming culture for me.

It's no surprise that when these people throw out some political views or social views, they fall short.

All fair points.. the bolded especially. We are seeing only what they allow us to.

At the end of the day though, I don't think he's a bad guy. I don't think he's gonna go out and personally degrade anyone or that he would even feel it was ok to do that in the real world. And honestly as long as he's not harassing people online with the vulgar language, I feel his comments are just immature quips that he thinks makes his stream/videos more interesting. Not saying it's right, but relatively harmless.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

It's as simple as there's nothing to refund. They are still getting exactly what their paid for. Not a single person gave money to them on kickstarter thinking Jon was in the game so it makes no sense to refund them

If they pre-ordered after hearing Jon was in it I imagine they could in fact get a refund in many countries but that simply doesn't apply to kickstarter backers. They are getting exactly what they paid for

thumb

Banned
When you say a woman fighting for female equality in gaming is just as extreme as a white nationalist...

I cannot believe he equated Anita and JonTron. I just...I can't believe it.

Anita: "There are some sexist and thoughtless tropes in many video games."

JonTron: "Let's organize America around a white ethnostate!"

cyress8

Banned

Would love for him to tell me how I can meet someone in the middle when they hate my skin color. How would that debate even go down?

Toxi

Banned
Of all the reasons I've heard to ask for a Kickstarter refund, "My favorite youtube celebrity's voice acting was removed from a Banjo Kazooie clone after he was publicly racist" is the dumbest.

I cannot believe he equated Anita and JonTron. I just...I can't believe it.

Anita: "There are some sexist and thoughtless tropes in many video games."

JonTron: "Let's organize America around a white ethnostate!"

Considering how most people flip the fuck out about whatever Anita does or makes, I am not surprised a dumbass like Boogie would equate the two of them.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why does he keep getting the benefit of the doubt? He's demonstrated he's not a nice guy and he's not a neutral observer. His posts on this are embarrassing and people who excuse this behavior are looking for reasons to do so.

I don't think your political leanings should mean anything here. Jontron said extremely racist things in context and out of context that should be condemned. If you don't do so, you are not a nice person.

And comparing him to Anita Sarkeesian is the clearest signal yet that Boogie is not a nice person.

L Thammy

Would love for him to tell me how I can meet someone in the middle when they hate my skin color. How would that debate even go down?

They try to be a little less racist and you try to be a little more white. See, all we needed was compromise and dialogue. Everyone wins!

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

He think's it would be swell if you hate yourself a little I guess? I don't know what he thinks 'the middle' of this situation is. Just before that he says he might 'learn something' from Jon too. Not sure where he's going with that one

Edit: removed gif spam

Mahonay

Banned
Why does he keep getting the benefit of the doubt? He's demonstrated he's not a nice guy and he's not a neutral observer. His posts on this are embarrassing and people who excuse this behavior are looking for reasons to do so.

I don't think your political leanings should mean anything here. Jontron said extremely racist things in context and out of context that should be condemned. If you don't do so, you are not a nice person.

And comparing him to Anita Sarkeesian is the clearest signal yet that Boogie is not a nice person.
Yuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom