• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéBOMB: Pokémon X and Y for 3DS (Coming October 2013 WW) - Lord Fennekin Ascends

Best starter?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokonoe

Banned
There are way more Gen III and even Gen V haters than Gen IV... I honestly don't see much Gen IV hate. Where's the hate? Outside of the battle speed.

No way, you haven't been in the Pokemon threads here on gaf! BW gets far more praise than Gen IV. Gen III does get hate, but not like Gen IV does.

zroid

Banned
Eh I really enjoyed playing Pearl for the first time. Put a lot of time into it. Sapphire was definitely the one I liked least. I kind of ended up resenting Pearl after playing SoulSilver and Black, largely because of the maddeningly slow pace and annoying UI, but it was still a good game.

Plus it has Torterra and he's a baller ass 'mon

Gravijah

No way, you haven't been in the Pokemon threads here on gaf! BW gets far more praise than Gen IV. Gen III does get hate, but not like Gen IV does.

Unless things have changed recently, Gen IV never really got much hate. I know a few people dislike it but not in the same way that Gen III divides people.

Berordn

Gen 4 is one of the best. What's there to hate?

Battle speed mostly.

There was weird progression in D/P, the 150 in the Sinnoh dex were deficient for a few types, namely fire. Platinum fixed absolutely every issue with that though, and improved the battle speed a little, though it was still slow.

Unicorn

kroakie_kroakie_kroakie_by_mahoganyprincess-d5qw2cd.png

Some Cheshire cat influence goin' on.

injurai

Banned
you know I've never played a combination game.

Skipped Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum.

Played Blue, Gold, Ruby, Diamond, White

Drago

If there were ever mainline games that could push the series back over 20M WW sold, I have a feeling these games are it.
I imagine that the games will explode in Japan, considering the massive sales the 3DS has over there and how well 3DS games sell over there.

I hope that the games really push the 3DS to new heights in the west though, because it needs the boost. I think 20m WW may be a bit out of reach because of it.

Gen III's still my favorite after all these years, though I think Gen V's the best one can get within the mainline canon. I chalk it up to liking Hoenn and the amazing music a lot, not to forget its general revolutions in adding battle mechanics and forming the transfer break (which I don't like either, but it probably means remakes down the line for R/S).

Drago

I would like Xerneus so much more if it didn't have those stupid rainbow lights in it's antlers. Ruins the whole design for me.

Kokonoe

Banned
I never had a issue with the speed of battling myself, I kinda liked the animations in battling that were there. I kinda like to play Pokemon Online too sometimes so BW is slower by comparison, but I guess that just proves I'm not really one who has issues with the battle speeds in the games when there is a faster method.

Unless things have changed recently, Gen IV never really got much hate. I know a few people dislike it but not in the same way that Gen III divides people.

This is something I've noticed for the past 5 months or so, I'm not really trying to make stuff up it's just what I've noticed. There is Gen III hate but the one I always see the most is Gen IV. Gen IV is also the least I see people talk about. I know I've brought up Gen IV a few times back when I use to post in PokeGAF, but unlike the other gens the subject changes very quickly for some reason.

you know I've never played a combination game.

Skipped Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum.

Played Blue, Gold, Ruby, Diamond, White

Time to work on Yellow right this instant. Surfing Pikachu is a requirement for life.

I imagine that the games will explode in Japan, considering the massive sales the 3DS has over there and how well 3DS games sell over there.

I hope that the games really push the 3DS to new heights in the west though, because it needs the boost. I think 20m WW may be a bit out of reach because of it.

I dunno, I imagine the first 3D battle system will be enough to lure a fair chunk of people, particularly if there's a price-cut between now and then.

pokemon_y_by_cafemellowdays-d5qyby4.png
xerneas_by_nanidani-d5qzge1.png

Artists have really outdone themselves.

Lugia who?

This is something I've noticed for the past 5 months or so, I'm not really trying to make stuff up it's just what I've noticed. There is Gen III hate but the one I always see the most is Gen IV. Gen IV is also the least I see people talk about. I know I've brought up Gen IV a few times back when I use to post in PokeGAF, but unlike the other gens the subject changes very quickly for some reason.
Its flaws, outside of D/P's battle speed, don't stand out as much and neither do its strong points. I don't think Gen IV's unremarkable, but it tends to fade into the background of a heated generation war much quicker than for other Gens.

Drago

I dunno, I imagine the first 3D battle system will be enough to lure a fair chunk of people, particularly if there's a price-cut between now and then.
As long as there's a huge marketing push and special bundles, I really do think it would sell loads of systems (as in millions) on it's own. Considering the efforts I'm seeing for Fire Emblem, I'm really hoping they go all out. They pretty much need to, honestly.

My guess is Gen 4/5 are going to be "forgotten" generations compared to the rest/ Gen 4 is remarkable in how little representation it gets from the fans and Gen 5 just could have been so much better (Gen 3 won't be forgotten as people dislike it even more than Gen 5).

3D Pokémon will probably bring more people into the franchise simply because of its aesthetic differences from 2D art. It helps that the battle system capitalizes on the 3D cel-shaded aesthetic so well. These versions are going to sell bucket-loads.

Gen 5 will at least be remembered for its increasingly ambitious storylines and charming dialogue. Then again, you might disagree with that. I definitely don't.

My guess is Gen 4/5 are going to be "forgotten" generations compared to the rest/ Gen 4 is remarkable in how little representation it gets from the fans and Gen 5 just could have been so much better (Gen 3 won't be forgotten as people dislike it even more than Gen 5).

Gen 5 will never be forgotten thanks to icecreamon.

As long as there's a huge marketing push and special bundles, I really do think it would sell loads of systems (as in millions) on it's own. Considering the efforts I'm seeing for Fire Emblem, I'm really hoping they go all out. They pretty much need to, honestly.

As was said in the NDP thread, announcing early and having a Western release more or less simultaneously with Japan may boost 3DS sales outside Japan through the year anyway, encouraging people to buy early (and maybe check out other games). I imagine that they will go all out in hyping this up. In fact - this may be the first year ever where a mainline Pokemon game is talked about onstage at E3 prior to it's release.

Nah, Gen V won't be forgotten because it's awesome and they were the first to have true numbered sequels as well as an actual story.

Kokonoe

Banned
I read what you said Dragoon, and that's probably what a lot of others think as well. I suppose that answers it in a way.

Man... I never got surfing Pikachu come to think of it. Didn't you need Pokemon Stadium for that? I think I've attempted at it as a kid but lost interest.

I forgot about that...yeah I played Pokemon Stadium a lot so I had it. Well, there's always Gameshark, Game Genie, Codebreaker, or my favorite...MONSTER BRAIN.

In fact - this may be the first year ever where a mainline Pokemon game is talked about onstage at E3 prior to it's release.
I wouldn't be surprised if they sneaked in new footage at the Nintendo conference, either. I don't know if there's any precedent for it, but Pokémon's one hell of an attraction for a system like the 3DS. Just add transfarring and it gets even more enticing!

I read what you said Dragoon, and that's probably what a lot of others think as well. I suppose that answers it in a way.
Since I'm not as well-versed in the games as some of y'all from the community thread, I can say that you just read an authentic, honest opinion about Gen IV. I never paid much attention to it until years after D/P came out.

qq more

I forgot about that...yeah I played Pokemon Stadium a lot so I had it. Well, there's always Gameshark, Game Genie, Codebreaker, or my favorite...MONSTER BRAIN.
Oh god, just had a flashback when I borrowed someone's GameShark and it somehow broken itself.

Platinum's battle speed was that bad for people? Seemed adequate enough for me. Oh well...different strokes and all...

?? We're talking about D/P's speed, not Plat. Plat improved it!

Gen 5 will never be forgotten thanks to icecreamon.
Funny thing is: the man who designed that is already responsible for Game Freak's first non-Pokémon game in more than a while, HarmoKnight. He's probably going to rise up the corporate chain (if not already) faster than he can say thank-you.

I like the gelato 'mon.

Drago

As was said in the NDP thread, announcing early and having a Western release more or less simultaneously with Japan may boost 3DS sales outside Japan through the year anyway, encouraging people to buy early (and maybe check out other games). I imagine that they will go all out in hyping this up. In fact - this may be the first year ever where a mainline Pokemon game is talked about onstage at E3 prior to it's release.
I hope so. E3 Pokemon would be sweet.

Hopefully 3DS sees a much better year here... the FE bundle and marketing campaign is signaling to me that NoA is going to get serious about attracting any and all into getting a 3DS this year. I'm pretty excited. Just hope they don't forget about WiiU in the process! :p

Just out of curiosity, why don't you post in PokéGAF anymore? Your presence and opinions are sorely missed by at least a few of us.

ohlawd

?? We're talking about D/P's speed, not Plat. Plat improved it!

Not really.

Plat speed is like half a notch faster than DP's and as far as I'm concerned, HGSS and Plat are pretty much similar in speed.

Even with animations off, it's freaking molasses. Game Freak screwed the pooch out of 4th gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom