• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéBOMB: Pokémon X and Y for 3DS (Coming October 2013 WW) - Lord Fennekin Ascends

Best starter?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Woah.

vertical_by_shadeofshinon-d5quz7f.png
Throw dem hands up...!And they stay there, and they stay there!

Thankyou.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you post in PokéGAF anymore? Your presence and opinions are sorely missed by at least a few of us.
I haven't been able to get my Pokémon music project completed yet, and that's the main attraction for me. Even if I do, I have other things to worry about like high school. They don't like it when you use computers there.

I haven't been able to get my Pokémon music project completed yet, and that's the main attraction for me. Even if I do, I have other things to worry about like high school. They don't like it when you use computers there.

Godspeed, then. I'll anxiously await both the completion of your project and the return of your musical genius to the community thread.

Berordn

Platinum's battle speed was that bad for people? Seemed adequate enough for me. Oh well...different strokes and all...

It was a big improvement over DP, but it was still slower than Gen 3... which it really shouldn't have been, being on more powerful hardware.

Still too many moments of just random pausing, too much text about statuses, and ui animations were annoyingly slow, even when battle animations were off.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I could never relate to the backlash those things got; I thought they were really clever designs especially Vanilluxe's straw.

A lot of the "hated" designs actually are well thought-out the more you read their lore.

As for me I never hated Vanilluxe (especially if you read more about them). But eh, people also like Blandzard.

Funny thing is: the man who designed that is already responsible for Game Freak's first non-Pokémon game in more than a while, HarmoKnight. He's probably going to rise up the corporate chain faster than he can say thank-you.

Man also made the awesome Golurk.

Godspeed, then. I'll anxiously await both the completion of your project and the return of your musical genius to the community thread.
lol, It's a lot more complex than you might think. My editor's very picky (not necessarily a issue on principle), yet he's all the way across the Pacific. Time zones suck when it comes to quick communication.

I don't think I'll suffer any such issues in Pokémon X/Y, at least. Golurk's also there to cheer me up.

qq more

It was a big improvement over DP, but it was still slower than Gen 3... which it really shouldn't have been, being on more powerful hardware.

Still too many moments of just random pausing, too much text about statuses, and ui animations were annoyingly slow, even when battle animations were off.

Ugh the stupid weather status interruption was SO SO SO annoying, in like any game. I think BW thankfully fixed that shit. I don't know why they waited that long to fix that...

I haven't played Platinum yet, but D/P felt like molasses compared to RSE. It's fine on a lazy day, but I'm not lax enough to tolerate it anymore. A bit slower than B/W's fine with me, though.

ohlawd

It's definitely not on par with B/W or Gen 3's speed but it's good enough to me.

It's weird. I have the patience to easily chug through a 200 hour RPG without getting bored but I lose my shit when it comes to Pokemon battle speeds.

Gen V battle speed is damn amazing and a return to form and I hope hope hope hope it stays that way for future generations. I will not tolerate another 4th gen speed fiasco ever again.

gosox333

I've definitely noticed the dislike for gen III going down, and the dislike for gen IV going up. The farther we get away from R/S/E, the more nostalgic they become for people. God knows that affects how people judge them, myself included. With D/P/Pt, they're still recent enough in everybody's memory to where they aren't getting that nostalgia shield.

At one point I could without a doubt point out gen III as my least favorite, but now I honestly think I'd have to go with IV. Who knows? Maybe in three or four years time it'll be V, it's funny how things work.

This is exactly how I feel. This is the main reason why I disliked the past two fire starters, and their designs were just icing on the cake.
Their design similarities make sense (referencing Journey to the West from Monkey to Pigsy and, eventually, to Sandy and Tripitaka), but the mere idea of repeating a theme across multiple generations doesn't work that well. It's better if each generation's starters benefit from surprising twists in inspiration, like with Chespin and (to an extent) Froakie.

Berordn

Ugh the stupid weather status interruption was SO SO SO annoying, in like any game. I think BW thankfully fixed that shit. I don't know why they waited that long to fix that...

POLITOED used RAIN DANCE!
*rain animation*
It started to rain!
*rain animation*
ONIX used SANDSTORM
*sandstorm animation*
A sandstorm brewed!
*sandstorm animation*
The sandstorm rages!
*sandstorm animation*
POLITOED is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Every goddamned turn.

Boss Doggie

BW really is a blessing in battles. Now just remove the stats buff/debuff animation (make them really quick)

You know, I kinda wanted to come in and say this.

Also they're running out of names, maybe they could stop making so many of them so fast.

See this doesn't make sense.

How are they running out of names? Since Black/White the "flavor" of the titles have actually gotten better because they're now incorporated in the game's theme.

Also how could they be making "so many of them so fast" when there are only like 6 generations, as opposed to say, 13 final fantasies?

They are most definitely not running out of names. I think they're doing their best to get away from color-coding and gem titles, but that doesn't mean they won't get used down the line.

Oh, one thing I noticed was that the game seemed to have a more muted palette compared to Gen 3 - now those games were colorful. The game speed in DP was uuuuugh as well - sims don't count. The games also seriously needed more Fire Pokemon.

Gen 4 has some of my favorite tracks of all the games (though G3 still has my favorites, with BW2 closing somewhere near that). They also have some cool gym leaders (including not-Minato, Gardenia, and Cynthia). The bicycle music is also the best (as I noted earlier). I have some favorites among the dex - Staraptor, Roserade, Pimpkrow, and Drapion being among them.

Boss Doggie

Yeah Gen 4 has really good mons like Staraptor and Honchkrow. As much as I love my Braviary Gen 4 delivered on bird Pokemon (man I want to strangle Unfeazant).

Oh, one thing I noticed was that the game seemed to have a more muted palette compared to Gen 3 - now those games were colorful. The game speed in DP was uuuuugh as well - sims don't count. The games also seriously needed more Fire Pokemon.

RSE took place in more vibrant surroundings to begin with, so that's a given. DPPt's all about the Pokémon equivalent of Hokkaido, meaning cold beaches and stony mythology. It doesn't help that they introduced God into the mix.

Gen 4 has some of my favorite tracks of all the games (though G3 still has my favorites, with BW2 closing somewhere near that). They also have some cool gym leaders (including not-Minato, Gardenia, and Cynthia). The bicycle music is also the best (as I noted earlier). I have some favorites among the dex - Staraptor, Roserade, Pimpkrow, and Drapion being among them.
Hmm. Bicycle track rankings are usually rather difficult, but I'd say D/P's ranks high. And there are a bunch of cool evos all-throughout, so I'll agree with that.

They are most definitely not running out of names. I think they're doing their best to get away from color-coding and gem titles, but that doesn't mean they won't get used down the line.
I think they are moving towards tying the games' names more closely to the story, rather than choosing them arbitrarily because they're opposite. Hence the choice for using Black/White in G5, and (presumably) X/Y for this gen (assuming the story has to do with genetics, science, etc.).

As a side note... like how the Japanese logo design changes every generation, anyone see any significance in the logo being a 3D render of the Generation 3 style logo? :)

Bullza2o

Anyone up for some roasted Fennekin? I chopped some up and cooked them with tender love :)
Wait, I actually like Fennekin --unless its final IS a Fire/Fight, then I'd gladly take those!

Their design similarities make sense (referencing Journey to the West from Monkey to Pigsy and, eventually, to Sandy and Tripitaka), but the mere idea of repeating a theme across multiple generations doesn't work that well. It's better if each generation's starters benefit from surprising twists in inspiration, like with Chespin and (to an extent) Froakie.

I've always thought since Blaziken is like
(probably is)
a Digimon who migrated to the Pokemon World, Chimchar and Tepig wanted to look hip and aspired to become similar.

JohnDonut

Banned
BW really is a blessing in battles. Now just remove the stats buff/debuff animation (make them really quick)

See this doesn't make sense.

How are they running out of names? Since Black/White the "flavor" of the titles have actually gotten better because they're now incorporated in the game's theme.

Also how could they be making "so many of them so fast" when there are only like 6 generations, as opposed to say, 13 final fantasies?
They're running out of names because they've already used up basic colors and minerals

Also there arent just 6 generations there are:

R/B/Y
S/G/C
R/E/S
P/D/P
B/w
B2/w2
X/Y with a possible Z

That's almost 20 main games, 23 if you count the remakes. Offshoots don't count. Also the fact that they're similar games with minor differences doesn't really count either.

Who says the best names are those of basic colors and/or minerals? You could do much worse. It's a good thing we'll never see Pokémon Version—

—Wait, I'm not going to jynx us with numbered versions, that's not okay.

Clicked the link expecting Monkey Magic.

Was not disappointed. Good job, mate.
The album version of the Godiego song sounds much better and develops more. It's like technopop space funk descending from the heavens. I haven't found it on YouTube yet, oddly.

Gravijah

This is something I've noticed for the past 5 months or so, I'm not really trying to make stuff up it's just what I've noticed. There is Gen III hate but the one I always see the most is Gen IV. Gen IV is also the least I see people talk about. I know I've brought up Gen IV a few times back when I use to post in PokeGAF, but unlike the other gens the subject changes very quickly for some reason.

Well, I haven't been in PokeGAF much since B2W2 came out. Could be filled with new faces that I don't know.

DP battle speed has never bothered me, either.

Sandfox

They're running out of names because they've already used up basic colors and minerals

R/B/Y
S/G/C
R/E/S
P/D/P
B/w
B2/w2
X/Y with a possible Z

That's almost 20 main games, 23 if you count the remakes. Offshoots don't count. Also the fact that they're similar games with minor differences doesn't really count either.

BW2 aren't their own generations and they didn't run out of names. They more than likely went with X and Y for story reasons like they did with Black and White.

The album version of the Godiego song sounds much better and develops more. It's like technopop space funk descending from the heavens. I haven't found it on YouTube yet, oddly.

Is that the version in Ouendan 2? Because that's how I'm familiar wity that song (played it so many times for an S-Rank that I can sing it off by heart now ^_^;)

Somehow I knew this would exist somewhere on the Internet
If I saw that, I'd rather funnel Fennelkin out of my memory cycles. That's just strange, man.

Is that the version in Ouendan 2? Because that's how I'm familiar wity that song (played it so many times for an S-Rank that I can sing it off by heart now ^_^;)
I wouldn't know what version's in Ouendan 2, so don't ask me. It starts with the synth intro, heads into a up-cadence synth bridge, and finally settles on the usual string glissandos and funky stuff. The show version edits a good deal of that out.

JohnDonut

Banned
BW2 aren't their own generations and they didn't run out of names. They more than likely went with X and Y for story reasons like they did with Black and White.
If it's anything like B/w or d/p then their naming scheme is based on the Yet More Legendaries aspect of pokemon. Come on, we have enough. I want to have some good pokemon without having to use legendaries, or having to use non-legendaries to intentionally gimp myself to artificially make the game somewhat harder.

oh em gee. Are you effing serious right now?
Having letters or "black/white" is not nearly as interesting as a mineral or color subtitle

Boss Doggie

I've always thought since Blaziken is like
(probably is)
a Digimon who migrated to the Pokemon World, Chimchar and Tepig wanted to look hip and aspired to become similar.

Blaziken is a cock fighter - you know, cock fighting? It's an (illegal) sport.

R/B/Y
S/G/C
R/E/S
P/D/P
B/w
B2/w2
X/Y with a possible Z

They aren't running out of names especially now when they use the names AS themes. I'd agree with you had they never used Black/White as a theme in Gen 5.

And no, there are only 6 generations.

Remakes do not count because it reuses the same engine with some tweaks without adding new Pokemon.

And yes, multiple versions do count as singular games. The whole point of Pokemon is buying a single game and trading with others - since you're virtually experiencing the same game - only difference is the roster.

Boss Doggie

Yeah I don't normally look down at Junior posts... but wow...

If it's anything like B/w or d/p then their naming scheme is based on the Yet More Legendaries aspect of pokemon. Come on, we have enough. I want to have some good pokemon without having to use legendaries, or having to use non-legendaries to intentionally gimp myself to artificially make the game somewhat harder.

Having letters or "black/white" is not nearly as interesting as a mineral or color subtitle

Yeah this is trolling post right here.

BW is used because it is part of the whole plot of Gen V and the legendaries reflect that. It's not just the "Legendaries" aspect. Stop being shallow and actually play the game.

It makes sense because the main antagonist, Ghetsis, sees his conflict with the rest of Unova in black and white contrasts, and there ain't any gray in-between. The names are a lot more meaningful than just standard mineral ones (not to say that the latter can't benefit future mainline versions in the same as Black/White).

Sandfox

They went with Black and White because of the whole deal with Team Plasma and whether its right for humans to own Pokemon or not.

JohnDonut

Banned
Blaziken is a cock fighter - you know, cock fighting? It's an (illegal) sport.

They aren't running out of names especially now when they use the names AS themes. I'd agree with you had they never used Black/White as a theme in Gen 5.

And no, there are only 6 generations.

Remakes do not count because it reuses the same engine with some tweaks without adding new Pokemon.

And yes, multiple versions do count as singular games. The whole point of Pokemon is buying a single game and trading with others - since you're virtually experiencing the same game - only difference is the roster.
Okay I'll reword that:

They're running out of names that are interesting as titles. I didn't mean to put it as a different generation.

Remakes do count arguably because it's not the same as the older game, all the features pretty much invalidates ever playing the older ones again because the newer features are so much better.

I suppose if we're only counting singular games then in my opinion there's only been 6 games: Y/S/S/P/W/W2. I know the point of pokemon is trading with others but frankly no one I know plays it anymore, and playing/trading with some stranger doesn't appeal to me so the games are just single player endeavors until I beat the Big Boss and then I never touch the game again until the next one.

Boss Doggie

Also I feel sad that people only see XY as letters as opposed to axes, dimensions, chromosomes, etc.

Such plebs~

They're running out of names that are interesting as titles. I didn't mean to put it as a different generation.

Remakes do count arguably because it's not the same as the older game, all the features pretty much invalidates ever playing the older ones again because the newer features are so much better.

I suppose if we're only counting singular games then in my opinion there's only been 6 games: Y/S/S/P/W/W2. I know the point of pokemon is trading with others but frankly no one I know plays it anymore, and playing/trading with some stranger doesn't appeal to me so the games are just single player endeavors until I beat the Big Boss and then I never touch the game again until the next one.

It may not be interesting for you but ever since Black and White they've been actually putting much thought into their titles. Notice how many meanings can be drawn from XY vs. Red/Blue or Gold/Silver (especially GS, which felt really arbitrary).

And that's just you then - Pokemon pretty much promotes the idea of trading to anyone and online trading pretty much has that. And I find it ironic on your last post since RBY has no post game vs. the rest of the generation.

If it's anything like B/w then their naming scheme is based on the Yet More Legendaries aspect of pokemon. Come on, we have enough. I want to have some good pokemon without having to use legendaries, or having to use non-legendaries to intentionally gimp myself to artificially make the game somewhat harder.
?

Black/White, aside from being the color of Resh/Zek, represented the conflicts going on in the story:
- The original schism between the Hero of Ideals and the Hero of Truth, and the splitting of the original dragon into R+Z
- The general goal/concern of Team Plasma: Pokemon as friends (idealistic), or Pokemon as prisoners (truth..maybe)?
- The smaller story of N, and his interactions with the main character as he learns about how seeing the world in black and white (thanks to the influence of Ghetsis) isn't necessarily the right way to go.

and so on. Really, anyone who's played the games could've told you that.

JohnDonut

Banned
Yeah I don't normally look down at Junior posts... but wow...

Yeah this is trolling post right here.

BW is used because it is part of the whole plot of Gen V and the legendaries reflect that. It's not just the "Legendaries" aspect. Stop being shallow and actually play the game.
I'm not trolling at all? Posting a honest opinion is trolling because it doesn't saddle with yours? If we were talking face to face I'd tell you the same thing :|

?

Black/White, aside from being the color of Resh/Zek, represented the conflicts going on in the story:
- The original schism between the Hero of Ideals and the Hero of Truth, and the splitting of the original dragon into R+Z
- The general goal/concern of Team Plasma: Pokemon as friends (idealistic), or Pokemon as prisoners (truth..maybe)?
- The smaller story of N, and his interactions with the main character as he learns about how seeing the world in black and white (thanks to the influence of Ghetsis) isn't necessarily the right way to go.

and so on. Really, anyone who's played the games could've told you that.
I've played White and most of White 2 and the most I got from that was the fact one pokemon was white and one pokemon was black. If you're talking about the ideals of the Bad Guys, all the pokemon games are black and white conflicts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom