• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéBOMB: Pokémon X and Y for 3DS (Coming October 2013 WW) - Lord Fennekin Ascends

Best starter?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Are you crazy? Fire Starter was awesome in Gen 1 and 2.

How could Venusaur or Blastoise ever hope to compare to Charizard?

Generation 1 was interesting. I like Bulbasaur the most out of the stage 1 starters, Wartortle out of the stage 2s and Charizard out of the stage 3s.

In fact, Wartortle is really the only middle evolution I like out of every starter in the entire series.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Chespin is too cute. Probably the first time I pick a grass starter in the series.

Awesome Turtwig/Torterra am cry.
Although Empoleon is a pretty good excuse not to pick it. But fuck Infernape.

Oh and I'll say that again.

Starter's evos:

Fire/Psychic
Water/Poison
Grass/Fighting

Believe!

It should be Grass / Dark. That way all the starters can hit every other starter for super effective damage. It would be hilarious.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Generation 1 was interesting. I like Bulbasaur the most out of the stage 1 starters, Wartortle out of the stage 2s and Charizard out of the stage 3s.

In fact, Wartortle is really the only middle evolution I like out of every starter in the entire series.

Dewott is probably the best blend of adorable and bonified bad-ass. Too bad his third form is ugly as sin, though.

Wiseblade

No love for Grovyle?

Raxus

Awesome Turtwig/Torterra am cry.
Although Empoleon is a pretty good excuse not to pick it. But fuck Infernape.

You already guessed who I went with.
Pimpoleon, he was a gentleman, a scholar, a penguin, and a mother f***ing steel.

The Lamp

The graphics are beautiful! Screw the sprites, they never looked good in my opinion anyway, so especially when they tried to animate them. The pseudo cel shading is just what the doctor ordered.

So FREAKING EXCITED

Hypatia

Oh stop teasing him.

Hah, I was actually being serious.

They could always do something like a more simple XD/Colloseum type game (limited gameplay/pokemon selection) if they wanted.

Or say iOS pokéwalker.

Or even just a handheld version of pokémon box.

Anything that allows a pokémon or two (or even just rare items) to be unlocked on iOS and transferred to X and Y would sell buckloads.

While overall these games look great, they definitely need more polish. I hope these 8-9 months of development GF has left are well-spent... I fear that we may end with a polished but lacking product or a complete but unpolished product because of the (not sure) short development cycle. My hype is still through the roof, nonetheless, but I don't want to set high hopes.

The fact that Fennekin used a Psychic looking attack on Kirlia gives me hope that it's not a Fire-Fighting starter this time. Hope it's secondary type is Psychic, Ghost or Dark. Gonna pick up that stylish dude when I get the game.
But, there's one thing that's been bugging me a lot:
I noticed he[Iwata] said 'some' older Pokemon.
I guess it was expecting to much for them to render all past Pokemon in 3D :(
I interpreted it the same way... I hope I understood it wrong and he was just referring to the fact that we will not be able to catch all Pokémon in this game, but that they will still be modeled and be usable. If my first interpretation is true, the backlash is going to be horrible.

Character customization confirmed?
I hope. I usually don't mind accesories on the MC's design, but those glasses sure look out of place and I hoped that customization would finally be included on the game. The lack of glasses in that picture could just be because of the camera...

I'm surprised to see the Froakie in first place; I thought the most liked one was Fennekin. Glad to see that most people liked at least one of the starters, though :)

Kitoro

The X logo should have pointy tips at the bottom like the legendary it represents.

The Fennec fire starter is by far and away going to be the most popular. Also, is the grass starter cosplaying as a grass Pokemon or something? That concept could make for a hilarious final evolution in ways I won't elaborate.

Not a huge fan of the non-battle visual style, but I'll take it.

I'm sure the leap between X/Y and the following generation 3DS Pokemon installment will be just as impressive visually as the leap between Diamond/Pearl and Black/White.

Good stuff all around? Anyone think it will allow Pokemon trading from past generations? I honestly hope not. I really want something of a fresh start again.

Wiseblade

You already guessed who I went with.
Pimpoleon, he was a gentleman, a scholar, a penguin, and a mother f***ing steel.

igouMOrOea9Nf.gif

GimMick

Those Pokémon threads are always growing too fast for my liking !

So who's with me in Team Y ? Seriously though both legendaries are pretty rad.

As for the starter I'm not dead set on yet, leaning towards Fennekin so far.
Who am I kidding, EatChildren all the way !!

IHaveIce

Banned
Are you crazy? Fire Starter was awesome in Gen 1 and 2.

How could Venusaur or Blastoise ever hope to compare to Charizard?

dude Blastoise had CANNONS, motherfucking cannons out of his back, he is like a tank, he is just shitting on everyone.

But yes Charizard is also awesome, but a wannabe dragon.

volpone

Banned
Looks like Tales. But not as good.

Still this might be the first Pokemon game I buy in a looooong time.

EDIT: Aww you still move in terms of squares? Fuck that shit.

Giolon

I'm really digging the cel shaded graphics look. I skipped the B/W generation, so maybe it's time to pick up this one.

Zeroth

I interpreted it the same way... I hope I understood it wrong and he was just referring to the fact that we will not be able to catch all Pokémon in this game, but that they will still be modeled and be usable. If my first interpretation is true, the backlash is going to be horrible.

All the pokemons already have 3D models thanks to the Pokedex app. Besides, no older pokemon animations would mean the game wouldn't be compatible with any version other than itself and its twin.

parasight

I usually think the water starter looks lame but this time he's easily the coolest. This is the first generation I'll pick water first! Now to go find a cheap 3DS.

All the pokemons already have 3D models thanks to the Pokedex app. Besides, no older pokemon animations would mean the game wouldn't be compatible with any version other than itself and its twin.

Yep I wouldn't worry about there being old pokemon not modeled as they've already finished making all of the 3D models for all of the Pokemon. It would be silly for them to release a game where you couldn't use ones from past generations, so I wouldn't consider this an issue at all.

That's how its been for me for nearly every generation:

Gen 1: squirtle, ivysaur and charizard
Gen 2: totodile, quilava, and meganium (all the final evos I dislike though)
Gen 3: mudkip, grovyle and Blaziken
Gen 4: everything sucks outside turtwig and piplup.
Gen 5: oshawot, samurot, and emperor snake thing.

We'll see how the evos go because I'm inbetween fennekin and Chespin. If I get Chespin I'm naming him Chester. Chespin is kinda goofy and cute but im afraid he'll evolve into a big, fat ugly mole. Fennekin I liked the most initially and they cant screw it up too badly with evolutions unless they make it a fire/fighting blaziken clone.

bounchfx

oh god, after watching the video again... it's not full freeform controls, is it? It's on a grid still.. isn't it... the way he makes the turn in the video (the ONLY turn in the video), it's a sharp 90 degree. I hope this is not the case.

Narag

Only problem is, I haven't played Pokemon in ages. I have no clue who the new generation is. I'm gonna be asking, "Where's Charmander?" through the whole game.

That's how I was when I picked up Pearl. It was easy enough to get an Charmander egg online to get me rolling.

Ezalc

I usually think the water starter looks lame but this time he's easily the coolest. This is the first generation I'll pick water first! Now to go find a cheap 3DS.

Totodile was and will always be, the coolest water starter.

Jesus these people and their terrible taste. No great grass starters? Fennekin? Pfft.

Qurupeke

That's how its been for me for nearly every generation:

Gen 1: squirtle, ivysaur and charizard
Gen 2: totodile, quilava, and meganium (all the final evos I dislike though)
Gen 3: mudkip, grovyle and Blaziken
Gen 4: everything sucks outside turtwig and piplup.
Gen 5: oshawot, samurot, and emperor snake thing.

We'll see how the evos go because I'm inbetween fennekin and Chespin. If I get Chespin I'm naming him Chester. Chespin is kinda goofy and cute but im afraid he'll evolve into a big, fat ugly mole. Fennekin I liked the most initially and they cant screw it up too badly with evolutions unless they make it a fire/fighting blaziken clone.

Gen 1: Charmander, Charmeleon, Charizard
Gen 2: Totodile, Quilava, Typhlosion
Gen 3: Mudkip, Grovyle, Swampert
Gen 4: Piplup, Monferno, Empoleon (worst generation starters for sure)
Gen 5: Snivy, Dewott, Serperior
Gen 6: Fennekin, ???, ???

parasight

Totodile was and will always be, the coolest water starter.

Jesus these people and their terrible taste. No great grass starters? Fennekin? Pfft.

Oh shoot I forgot about Totodile. I stand corrected, he was actually my starter in Gold. He does turn into the abomination of Feraligatr though.

Those Pokémon threads are always growing too fast for my liking !

So who's with me in Team Y ? Seriously though both legendaries are pretty rad.

As for the starter I'm not dead set on yet, leaning towards Fennekin so far.
Who am I kidding, EatChildren all the way !!

I was always on the blue side as a kid.
Blue, Silver, Diamond. They might not sound connected. But they fucking are.
Don't you start anything...

Anyway X being blue is making my mind up.
Though if the Deer thing is in Y...I might go there.

Nekki

Chespine = Grass/Ground

Froakie = Water/Psychic (he uses a psychic move in the trailer, and also what I believe is quick attack, so he could be Fighting as well..)

Fennekin = Fire/Anybody's guess

apana

This has to make Nintendo a little nervous. They don't know what the respone to 3D will be. Depending on sales this could be the start of a new direction for Pokemon or the end of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom