• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéBOMB: Pokémon X and Y for 3DS (Coming October 2013 WW) - Lord Fennekin Ascends

Best starter?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

demidar

Sorry, it's a long post.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what's even more interesting than 3D graphics is a new battle structure and a deeper bonding with Pokemon.
I think we all saw 3D coming into play sooner or later, but it's more than just appearances that is keeping the franchise stale.
When same mechanics are used and reused, there isn't any room for "excitement" anymore; that is why I think the games have became a chore than enjoyment.

When we first played Pokemon as kids these "pixels and programs" seemed so magically alive, I still couldn't explain the element of "life" that I felt through the game.
I observe, personally, how with each game this sensation faded.

Perhaps I can simply attribute it to furthering of age.
However, what I felt through the trailer Tuesday morning, and the excitement that came to me when I imagined a new Pokemon world, seems to allow a small hope for that feeling again.

It sounds like a kid's innocence and imagination. Being a kid, everything new is magical and mindblowing. Then life and growing up strips it all away haha :(

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh vey

135771747109573ox0.jpg

flippedb

Banned
Sorry, it's a long post.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what's even more interesting than 3D graphics is a new battle structure and a deeper bonding with Pokemon.
I think we all saw 3D coming into play sooner or later, but it's more than just appearances that is keeping the franchise stale.
When same mechanics are used and reused, there isn't any room for "excitement" anymore; that is why I think the games have became a chore than enjoyment.

When we first played Pokemon as kids these "pixels and programs" seemed so magically alive, I still couldn't explain the element of "life" that I felt through the game.
I observe, personally, how with each game this sensation faded.

Perhaps I can simply attribute it to furthering of age.
However, what I felt through the trailer Tuesday morning, and the excitement that came to me when I imagined a new Pokemon world, seems to allow a small hope for that feeling again.
Wait, are you me? I'm feeling exactly the same. Blue was magical, Silver felt "ok", same with Sapphire. Diamond brought the online experience, so it felt good, but to be honest, I bought both Platinum and Soul Silver and haven't even attempted to finish them, I don't feel like. I didn't buy BW or B2W2.

But this game...it feels special. #TeamFroakie

Random thought but what will happen to the anime regarding the worldwide release? The new season, region and Pokemon generally appear when the new games come out, but since it's a worldwide release and Japan is ahead with the anime, what will happen?

Random thought but what will happen to the anime regarding the worldwide release? The new season, region and Pokemon generally appear when the new games come out, but since it's a worldwide release and Japan is ahead with the anime, what will happen?
All the kids will turn to fansubs.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wait? Are you me? I'm feeling exactly the same. Blue was magical, Silver felt "ok", same with Sapphire. Diamond brought the online experience, so it felt good, but to be honest, I bought both Platinum and Soul Silver and haven't even attempted to finish them, I don't feel like. I didn't buy BW or B2W2.

I don't feel that way so far. The game looks/sounds good, but the bad overworld graphics and art style make it hard for me to feel totally in awe. From what we've seen thus far, I'd prefer sprites. I hope I'm convinced otherwise, though.

Also, man, Gold/Silver felt like a huge improvement over Red/Blue to me back in the day! I'd say G/S was the height of my Pokemon fandom. I really enjoyed B/W, but it's the versions I've played the least, probably.

Kyzer

Banned
I agree. I used the sprites as visualization aids to imagine anime style battling anyway. It was getting ridiculous. Two monsters. Standing at each other.

Hieberrr

I felt like Pokemon started losing that feeling with DPP. Everything got too "future" with the Pokemon designs (especially with the legendaries) and certain towns. BW 1/2 took this 10 step further. BW was just bad imo; Pokemon designs got lazy and less Pokemon-like (e.g., that mummy tomb looking thing... truth be told, it got to the point where I didn't care what they were called anymore). Cities and towns (routes included) in BW were either way too over the top with the "future" look or just stupidly bleak (like the desert).

In my opinion, the OG G/S and RSE got it right. RSE to a lesser extent since some Pokemon designs were ugly, but they got the feeling of the region right.

demidar

I agree. I used the sprites as visualization aids to imagine anime style battling anyway. It was getting ridiculous. Two monsters. Standing at each other.

Yeah, I think this is a case of more fidelity/detail making visualization harder.

Kyzer

Banned
Yeah, I think this is a case of more fidelity/detail making visualization harder.

True, but I think I'll be satisfied enough now that I won't visualize. I'll look at my mons and feel their feels...I hope.

I'm really impressed by the fact that Froakie gets all up in his face. They went the whole 9, which means they did a lot of fucking work for 700+ pokemon.

It sounds like a kid's innocence and imagination. Being a kid, everything new is magical and mindblowing. Then life and growing up strips it all away haha :(
Haha, we certainly can't deny it.

Wait, are you me? I'm feeling exactly the same. Blue was magical, Silver felt "ok", same with Sapphire. Diamond brought the online experience, so it felt good, but to be honest, I bought both Platinum and Soul Silver and haven't even attempted to finish them, I don't feel like. I didn't buy BW or B2W2.

You... are me. haha
I'm the same with gold version and D/P. SS/HG and other remakes certainly didn't help.

Yeah, my hope is in this one. Let's go! #TeamChespin

Darryl

Banned
you know what'd be cool? i want to be able to catch pokemon and put them to use outside of my battle team, like Ash and the Squirtle-squad. i don't know what for, exactly, but i've always wanted excuses to catch and train Pokemon and not have them used exclusive for battling. i tend to overlook 99% of the games monsters because of that.

i hope they localize the movie/anime faster and put huge money into marketing the franchise in the US. they had a mini-convention at a mall here during black/white and it was pretty cool. i remember they used to have those a lot more frequently when i was a kid during red/blue.

you know what'd be cool? i want to be able to catch pokemon and put them to use outside of my battle team, like Ash and the Squirtle-squad. i don't know what for, exactly, but i've always wanted excuses to catch and train Pokemon and not have them used exclusive for battling. i tend to overlook 99% of the games monsters because of that.

Perhaps you could use certain Pokemon to cut things in your path. Or perhaps use their mighty strength to move things, or smash pesky rocks. Hell some could do a bit of flashing to light up a dark area and you could use some to surf across a sea, or up a waterfall.

I'd buy it.

Xux

True, but I think I'll be satisfied enough now that I won't visualize. I'll look at my mons and feel their feels...I hope.

I'm really impressed by the fact that Froakie gets all up in his face. They went the whole 9, which means they did a lot of fucking work for 700+ pokemon.
Pokemon did that in Battle Revolution. I'd honestly be surprised if they touch the first 493 Pokemon besides cel-shading them.

BowieZ

Banned
you know what'd be cool? i want to be able to catch pokemon and put them to use outside of my battle team, like Ash and the Squirtle-squad. i don't know what for, exactly, but i've always wanted excuses to catch and train Pokemon and not have them used exclusive for battling. i tend to overlook 99% of the games monsters because of that..
Yeah it'd be cool to use the Pokémon to geographically advance, like for example training up Froakie to be able to freeze a pond to cross it, or Chespin to be agile enough to climb a tree and cause vines to grow.

And not just battles cause levelling up but whatever else like general age and experience, finding secret areas or maybe other friendly locals/trainers who can give you or the Pokémon wisdom points.

/change

Darryl

Banned
Perhaps you could use certain Pokemon to cut things in your path. Or perhaps use their mighty strength to move things, or smash pesky rocks. Hell some could do a bit of flashing to light up a dark area and you could use some to surf across a sea, or up a waterfall.

I'd buy it.

no that sounds awful, i mean much more mundane things that don't involve having them on you 24/7. capture a bunch of rock and fighting pokemon and send them to build things. raise your chansey and send them to work in a pokecenter.

Mista Koo

There's a reason Mudkip caught on as a meme and Torchic didn't!

Torchic is ugly. And his evolutions look like Digimon.
It's the same reason Bidoof caught on as a meme.

I do agree with the Digimon part, but Blaziken was so badass it didn't matter (I don't like him as much in retrospect though).

Tepig is cute as hell. Why do people hate Tepig? It's not his fault they didn't make Emboar Fire / Ground.
Tepig is great, aside from being fighting for the 3rd time. Also Gen 5 was very balanced starters' design wise so he didn't shine for me (especially in final forms, they're all baddasses).

So.
Blue, Silver, Sapphire, Diamond, Black, X
Red, Gold, Ruby, Pearl, White, Y

I will take X.
Fixed. I'll probably get X too (and Black.. 2).
(I actually choose based on exclusive Pokemon though.)

Xux

I don't think I've seen any Pokemon that look like Digimon...at least not any of the Pokemon that were drawn by one Mr. Sugimori.

no that sounds awful, i mean much more mundane things that don't involve having them on you 24/7. capture a bunch of rock and fighting pokemon and send them to build things. raise your chansey and send them to work in a pokecenter.

Oh, I know - I was just fucking with you :p

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

I would love for a Pokemon ActRaiser, the concept of that if fleshed out would just be amazing. Capture, battle, etc as normal and then zone out as you build and transform your two/three house town into a city.

Hell if we can get a Pokemon/Nobunaga's Ambition, it's not really that absurd.

Xux

I sure hope Fennekin's evolved forms have a long dog-like mouth unlike the lame copy-pasta anime mouths that Lucario and Sky Forme Shaymin have.

ryan13ts

Man, I so hope we get some evolutions of old Pokemon. That was the one thing I hated about Gen V, since I like looking forward to seeing new evos for older Pokemon.

Also, what do you guys think the starters secondary types are going to be? As long as every starter gets one (Unlike the crap they pulled in B&W with Osh and Snivy's evo line) and the Fenni's isn't another damned Fire/Fighting, I'll be happy. My guess so far is;

Chespin - Grass/Rock or Grass/Ground (His hands and feet look 'Mole' like)
Fennekin - Fire/Flying or Fire/Ice
Frokkie - Water/Psychic or Water/Flying

Hopefully we'll be getting new reveals each issue of CoroCoro. Seriously, the best part about when these games are announced is all the speculation about the games, getting to see leaks of new Pokemon and all the reactions from them.... It's almost more fun than playing the games themselves.

gosox333

Hopefully we'll be getting new reveals each issue of CoroCoro. Seriously, the best part about when these games are announced is all the speculation about the games, getting to see leaks of new Pokemon and all the reactions from them.... It's almost more fun than playing the games themselves.

I wonder how the west is going to keep up with the news, if they even do at all?

I saw somebody recommend a smash dojo like website for global news. That could get pretty crazy.

one_kill

Also, what do you guys think the starters secondary types are going to be? As long as every starter gets one (Unlike the crap they pulled in B&W with Osh and Snivy's evo line) and the Fenni's isn't another damned Fire/Fighting, I'll be happy. My guess so far is;
Gamesradar's speculation is quite convincing:
But wait! Obviously Chespin is Grass, Fennekin is Fire, and Froakie is Water, but many have pointed out that there's even more to see. Fennekin uses a Psychic move, Froakie uses a Fighting move, and Chespin uses a Dark move. Since Psychic beats Fighting, Fighting beats Dark, and Dark beats Psychic, this means there's a SECOND trio of elemental rock-paper-scissors at work. That means, though Chespin is weak to Fennekin because of its first type (Grass loses to Fire) it'll be strong because of its secondary type (Dark is strong against Psychic). This... is big. And also confusing.
Source: http://www.gamesradar.com/pokemon-x-y-did-you-spot-everything-trailer/

I'd like for their speculation to be true.

Mista Koo

I don't think I've seen any Pokemon that look like Digimon...at least not any of the Pokemon that were drawn by one Mr. Sugimori.
It's not an accurate term, but it refers to humanoid Pokemon with no clear inspiration source. Not necessarily a bad thing:

0urzy.jpg

Bgamer90

Banned
The attacks do look more vicious now in 3D.

iicdgAD1w5eRa.gif

RIP.

Man. That looks so good.

EDIT: I wonder if I'm saying that due to how stale the series has been in the past... in comparison to other recent games it (obviously) doesn't look that good but the amount of change in comparison to the older pokemon games is huge.

gosox333

Know what I want? A Pokecheck like system of uploading older previous gen Pokemon onto a gts server, and then downloading them into the current gen game. I'm sure there'll be a hacked sixth gen version eventually, but I don't see why GF can't jump in on it and make it a little more official.

It's so much more efficient for transferring older generations of guys onto the current games. I can transfer 20 mons over Pokecheck with the time it'd take me to do a team of six with the Poketransfer.

ryan13ts

Gamesradar's speculation is quite convincing:

Source: http://www.gamesradar.com/pokemon-x-y-did-you-spot-everything-trailer/

I'd like for their speculation to be true.

I don't remember seeing any of the starters using those moves in the trailer. I just saw attacks like Solarbeam, Flamethrower, and what looked like quick attack. Where did get they impression that they were using Psychic, Dark, Fighting type moves?

If what they say turns out to be true though, I think it would be pretty cool. I like the idea of those typings, especially for starters, since they usually get rather standard secondary types like Flying or Ground.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don't understand why they're wasting polygons for the leaf platforms when they have an actual field in this game, they could just add a little more detail to the battle area instead of add the abstract platforms.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I wonder if we'll get sprite artists to do Gen V style sprites as well as "mini sprites".

Chespin is still losing the poll but he is winning in our heart :p

I bet all that votes mr. eatchildren ate were for chespin

It's not an accurate term, but it refers to humanoid Pokemon with no clear inspiration source. Not necessarily a bad thing:

0urzy.jpg

which is hilarious because you'd think they'd realize Gen 1 is also plentiful of them.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand why they're wasting polygons for the leaf platforms when they have an actual field in this game, they could just add a little more detail to the battle area instead of add the abstract platforms.
I was just thinking the same thing. That round patch of grass looks pretty out of place and bad.

I was just thinking the same thing. That round patch of grass looks pretty out of place and bad.

Yup. I was trying to think of reasons for it, but I have none.

Now I'm wondering, though... How will water battles, look?

Actually, maybe that's a reason? Patches of sand for platforms in the middle of the ocean? Iunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom