• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéFizzle: Two more new Pokémon (evolutions) outed officially

Sludge and slime are to all intents and purposes the same thing - sludge being just a particular type of slimey substance.

Having the garbage included was clearly not a good idea. There's a reason the vast majority of fans do not like Garbodor and Trubbish, and why they're so frequently nominated on "worst design" lists. The majority of fans tend not to like things which are too "human" - either in the sense they look humanoid, or are based on manufactured objects.
Yes but these fans don't get to decide what should or shouldn't be a pokemon, that's up to the designers.
There are no rules in place for what's allowed to be a pokemon, you say there's a bunch of people who are irked over the fact that ol' Garbodor gets to exist in the Pokemon world? well they can just deal with it to be blunt, I happen to quite like its design, shockingly people have different tastes and one man's trash (can be literal in this case) is potentially another's treasure.

From the start we've had a few oddball designs that arguably don't fit in the same mould the majority of designs tend to which lean towards animals and plants, and of course some of these I don't care for at all myself but it's also these designs that keep things interesting and varied.
We've got flying magnets, humanoid mime monsters, levitating letters, wind chimes, bronze bells, ghost lanterns and many more that can be classed as plain unusual design concepts compared to the majority.

There's a very high number of Pokemon now and not everyone is going to like every design for various reasons, don't like them because they are too man made for your liking? then don't use them, there's plenty of pokemon to go around and as far as Gen 5 goes i'll happily take the Garbage bag and Ice imitating Ice Cream over yet another set of monkeys this time with elemental gimmicks but I can't say that those monkey's should never have existed, I bet there's some kids out there that love them.

Why should I give a shit what the majority of fans think? The majority of fans think Pikachu is the best Pokemon, do you agree with them?

Trubbish and Garbodor are good designs because they take the basic concept of a garbage monster and mix it up by adding the actual trash bag to give them some form. Just because something looks human (Hi Jynx) or is of human origin doesn't make it a bad design. Are people going to shit on Porygon too because it intentionally looks like bad N64 graphics? How about Koffing, who is based on a combination of a naval mine and smog, which are both of human origin? No, they won't, because Koffing and Porygon are awesome designs, and so is Garbodor.

My man.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yes but these fans don't get to decide what should or shouldn't be a pokemon, that's up to the designers.
There are no rules in place for what's allowed to be a pokemon, you say there's a bunch of people who are irked over the fact that ol' Garbodor gets to exist in the Pokemon world? well they can just deal with it to be blunt, I happen to quite like its design, shockingly people have different tastes and one man's trash (can be literal in this case) is potentially another's treasure.

Sure, but then you can't be surprised when a portion of the fan-base becomes disaffected or leaves. If games are entirely up to the designers, does that mean I wouldn't be allowed to complain, say, if the next mainline Pokemon title was made into an FPS? Obviously, this is an exaggeration. but the core point is the same: fans are fans because there are certain things they like in a series, and they expect those things to continue. Remove those things, and of course you are going to get fans who complain.

From the start we've had a few oddball designs that arguably don't fit in the same mould the majority of designs tend to which lean towards animals and plants, and of course some of these I don't care for at all myself but it's also these designs that keep things interesting and varied.
We've got flying magnets, humanoid mime monsters, levitating letters, wind chimes, bronze bells, ghost lanterns and many more that can be classed as plain unusual design concepts compared to the majority.

Most of those are ones that people highlight as bad designs, though. Mr. Mime? Most people hate it. Chimecho? Nobody can even remember Chimecho. Bronzong? The amount of people complaining about him back at the DPPt release was unreal.

There's a very high number of Pokemon now and not everyone is going to like every design for various reasons, don't like them because they are too man made for your liking? then don't use them, there's plenty of pokemon to go around and as far as Gen 5 goes i'll happily take the Garbage bag and Ice imitating Ice Cream over yet another set of monkeys this time with elemental gimmicks but I can't say that those monkey's should never have existed, I bet there's some kids out there that love them.

Sure, I'm not going to use them. It's inevitable I'll encounter them, though, and it's inevitable I'll be annoyed. Are we suddenly not allowed to complain about terrible designs any more? The extent of your post is basically "Don't criticize anything. Ever".

Sure, but then you can't be surprised when a portion of the fan-base becomes disaffected or leaves. If games are entirely up to the designers, does that mean I wouldn't be allowed to complain, say, if the next mainline Pokemon title was made into an FPS? Obviously, this is an exaggeration. but the core point is the same: fans are fans because there are certain things they like in a series, and they expect those things to continue. Remove those things, and of course you are going to get fans who complain.
Yes but we're talking about a small group of pokemon designs within the 700 odd that exist and these more shall we say "unique" mon have been around since the series started so it's hardly a betrayal of expectations when each gen adds a few more.
This isn't like a case where a new set of Pokemon games get announced called Pokemon Mansion and Pokemon Manor filled with 100 brand new pokemon taken from various household items with a scant few designs based upon animals, that would perhaps be worthy of this point of radically changing the design focus and betraying fan expectations.
But we're pretty much here talking about this now because there's this one meringue inspired pokemon setting off the food alarm bells, this is hardly a jarring shift that's going to break a fanbase and it certainly isn't changing the way the game actually plays.

Most of those are ones that people highlight as bad designs, though. Mr. Mime? Most people hate it. Chimecho? Nobody can even remember Chimecho. Bronzong? The amount of people complaining about him back at the DPPt release was unreal.
And I dislike all three of them as well.
Meanwhile those flying magnets led to one of my favourites in Magnezone so not every swing is a miss.

Sure, I'm not going to use them. It's inevitable I'll encounter them, though, and it's inevitable I'll be annoyed. Are we suddenly not allowed to complain about terrible designs any more? The extent of your post is basically "Don't criticize anything. Ever".
Considering I criticized the six elemental monkeys in my post then i'm not really doing a good job following what you seem to have misconstrued my post as.
You were the one who stated that certain pokemon were simply not a good idea which is a pretty loaded statement when you step back and look at it and that's what i'm taking issue with here, I simply presented my counter point to that which is to say preferences and all that.

If we want to discuss the shittier points of pokemon design we absolutely can but there is nothing fundamentally wrong here with the designs as which is sometimes implied with certain pokemon.
I'd rather not have Luvdisc pulled up on the end of my fishing rod yet it happens and I'm not about to start creating reasons as to why it should never have past the initial design phase, i'm just going to say that I think it sucks.

Jynx is, yet again, something widely recognised as being a bad design. Porygon's entire back-story is built around it being the first synthesized Pokemon, so there's no discrepancy between it being man-made and the "natural creatures" vibe of Pokemon. Koffing isn't a good design either.

Since when? Stop pulling shit out of your ass to suit your agenda and leave my sweet Jynxy-poo alone. How dare she resemble a human being. Slurpuff will also be mine. :3

Salsa

dig em both

im avoiding a ton of stuff but i'll pay attention to anything officially released before the game's out

DigitalOp

Banned
Its odd with comments like these :

Then combined with the leaks thread of (fake quote but gets the impression across):

I don't understand what to think anymore. Its people hate new Pokemon designs yet at the same time want more of them...I get it, its not that they want more its just for them not to suck in whatever arbitrary way (design or gameplay).

Still Pokedex description; 10^8 more sensitive smell...typical Pokedex hyperbole, like the whole Alakazam has more computation power than a cluster of supercomputers...

I just don't like those 2. There are more than 700 left for me to like. I can't have a simple opinion? I didn't say anything sucked... or tirade into hyperbole. I said next please.

Village

Since when? Stop pulling shit out of your ass to suit your agenda and leave my sweet Jynxy-poo alone. How dare she resemble a human being. Slurpuff will also be mine. :3

A lot of people dislike her because of the racist allegations. Not saying its most Pokemon fans, its a lot though.

Toxi

Banned
Not necessarily. It can just be any muck, mire or ooze - you can find natural sludge in swamps. I mean, I'm not going to say that Grimer is clearly entirely natural, it's not, but frankly if you can't see the degree of difference between Grimer and Trubbish something is wrong.
Grimer's Pokedex entry says it's literally born from pollution.

Jynx is, yet again, something widely recognised as being a bad design. Porygon's entire back-story is built around it being the first synthesized Pokemon, so there's no discrepancy between it being man-made and the "natural creatures" vibe of Pokemon. Koffing isn't a good design either.
What sort of crazy fuck hates Koffing?

Here's Trubbish's Pokedex entry.

"The combination of garbage bags and industrial waste caused the chemical reaction that created this Pokémon."

Are you going to continue the "Most people" thing as if it actually means anything? Appeals to popularity mean little. Most people in my city watch NASCAR, I think it's awful.

You can criticize them, but have something better than "I'm sad it's not another animal or plant".

tumblr_m9t0x8zgkk1qd87hlo1_500.gif

These two getting a third evolution would make them like the Reuniclus/Gothitelle of G6.
Neither of them really seems "finished" yet. I really want Aromatisse to evolve into some sort of Flamenco Flamingo since the plague doctor idea is basically out the window at this point.

Wow, I hate to be that guy, but those evolutions are absolutely awful. So much for Spritzee becoming a badass plague doctor...
It's not 100% that there's only 70 new Pokemon, right? That would be insurmountably disappointing...

JackHerer

I think people that actually like Jynx are few and far between. Not only is it aesthetically displeasing to many people but it's also controversial because it may or may not be a racist caricature (i.e. black face). it could be an honest mistake by game freak that was totally unintentional but the resemblance is undeniable.

Anyway, I definitely consider it one of the worst. Mr Mime is pretty bad as well. It's not the humanoid aspect that bothers me though because I like Mewtwo, Alakazam, Gardevoir, etc just fine. Jynx is just creepy looking and not in a good way.

zroid

Banned
Has a single 3rd evolution even been revealed officially yet? And the starters are the only ones for whom we know there will be 3rd forms. There have to be at least a few three-stagers introduced in Kalos beyond the starters.

edit: Vivillon. That's it though, right?

Toxi

Banned
I think people that actually like Jynx are few and far between. Not only is it aesthetically displeasing to many people but it's also controversial because it may or may not be a racist caricature (i.e. black face). it could be an honest mistake by game freak that was totally unintentional but the resemblance is undeniable.

Anyway, I definitely consider it one of the worst. Mr Mime is pretty bad as well. It's not the humanoid aspect that bothers me though because I like Mewtwo, Alakazam, Gardevoir, etc just fine. Jynx is just creepy looking and not in a good way.
I like Jynx, but that's because I played Pokemon Stadium and realized something: It's face isn't black, it's completely hidden by shadow.

In the original Sugimori art of Jynx, most of her body has shading (and its hands are a dark blue color, not the same as the face), but her face is black with no shading. That's because it's basically a void. There is no shading on the face because there is nothing there to shade. It makes Jynx pretty creepy; her only features are exaggerated female sexual characteristics. It's like looking at a blow-up doll; there are attractive features, but no life behind them, and that fits right into the uncanny valley.

Unfortunately, the anime creators didn't seem to get the memo, since they actually made Jynx have a face. :-\

Top Bottom