• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Policenauts English Patch finally releasing TODAY!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
M3d10n said:
The PSOne version is only 2 discs?

Three, but the last disc is "training" missions/"Private Collection."

Game/Main Game wise, though: Yes.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
obviously my isos are fine, as they patched fine. Getting the multi-disc eboot to work though...

using rs-popstationmd gui 3

It boots fine past the PSone logo, then stuck on blackscreen. Which pops version are you guys using?

hank_tree

I can't get disc 1 to work on my PSP. Wihout the patch it loads up fine but when I use the patch on the same ISO I just get a black screen with the Konami logo briefly appearing every now and then.

Aeana

hank_tree said:
I can't get disc 1 to work on my PSP. Wihout the patch it loads up fine but when I use the patch on the same ISO I just get a black screen with the Konami logo briefly appearing every now and then.
I had to use Popsloader and set it to 3.71.

k0ji-wd

Does this game have to be a single eboot file for the transition between CD1/CD2 to work? Or can I just be lazy and create two eboots with the same gameid?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
TheSeks said:
Three, but the last disc is "training" missions/"Private Collection."

Game/Main Game wise, though: Yes.

Actually Private Collection is totally separate from Policenauts. It's basically a "Substance/Subsistence" version minus the actual game.

Aeana

k0ji-wd said:
Does this game have to be a single eboot file for the transition between CD1/CD2 to work? Or can I just be lazy and create two eboots with the same gameid?
As far as I can remember (been a while since I played it), you can save at the end of disc 1 and load that save on disc 2.

gentlemanfinn

Neo Member
hank_tree said:

Policenauts_Readme_English_v1.00.txt said:
Burn your CD (I used Alcohol 120% and the "Play Station" format), insert and you should be good. Here are some issues I ran into:

- "I didn't have a slow burner available, so I tried a higher speed. I got a black screen and occasionally the Konami logo briefly flashes."

Press a bunch of buttons. The system is trying and failing to play the XA movie. Getting a button press will tell it to stop and drop to the game's main menu. It's incovenient as hell because it'll happen every time you power on the game, but like I said absolutely nothing else in the game is like this, so once you get to the main menu, you should be fine.

From the readme included with the patch

I finally figured out how to patch it on Mac (I just tested it and the disk works too), the procedure's a little weird with my solution but if anyone wants help, PM me and I'll try to walk you through it. (Oh and the FMV is flawless too, MBP CD burner FTW!)

And God DAMMIT why did all my PS1 and PS2 controllers have to disappear?

Aeana

Blu_LED said:
Also, should I play Snatcher first? Which version should I play?
The Sega CD version is your only choice (released officially, has English voice and everything), unless you want to play a fan translation of the MSX version with broken English.

Aeana said:
The Sega CD version is your only choice (released officially, has English voice and everything), unless you want to play a fan translation of the MSX version with broken English.
Oh, I thought all versions where released in English. Does anyone have a good Sega CD emulator for PSP?

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Blu_LED said:
Also, should I play Snatcher first? Which version should I play?

Policenauts it's considered a spiritual sequel of Snatcher, mostly because gameplay (graphic adventure) and setting (cyber punk/sci-fi) but it's not connected in any relevant way such as MGS1<->MGS2.

There's a few references and easter eggs from Snatcher (and MG1 and MG2SS) on Policenauts, but that's about it, nothing very important to the main storyline.

Snatcher it's fully translated on Sega CD, with a great localization and VO directed by Blaustein, who also did the translations for MGS1, SH2 and VP.

tl;dr: You can play Policenauts w/o playing Snatcher.

I have a feeling that after waiting so long for this patch to come out, I'm gonna end up disliking the game itself. The hype has been unbearable to say the least.

Mr. Hyde

pancakesandsex said:
So how come you guys aren't just ripping your isos in isobuster to begin with?

I run my game rips with the Mooby plugin for epsxe, but it always gave me errors reading ISOs. I ended up converting the bin to ISO and then back to bin. I spent three hours this morning working on that.

Mr. Hyde

GrumpyAlien said:
This fixed my problem. For me the first disc would patch ok, but the second would show the XD3_INVALID_INPUT. This solved it and both are perfect now. Thank you! :D

Awesome. I hope you enjoy.

3rdman

HalfwayOrb said:
nice, hopefully this game works with pcsxbox.
I don't know if anyone answered this question yet, but yes. It works very well. There was a slight issue with video and sound not syncing but I changed a setting (sound/reverb) to "fast" and that solved everything. It really runs nicely and the translation (at least at the start) seems to be rather competent.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
What would be the best way to make it so I could use my mouse for the game? I see that its compatible, and it sounds like the best way to play it.

MercuryLS

Banned
Man, the ePSXe emulator runs like shit on my 13" MBP :/

It ran fine on my old laptop which is far less powerful than my current laptop. :(

Aeana

Finally sat down to do some serious playing, and I think they've done a great job with the translation. Got through the prologue and started act 1.

As a side note, playing on PSP is such a nice solution for both portability and larger screen/speakers/comfy couch.

pn-remotejoy2.jpg

<3 RemoteJoy.

Okay. I've got the two ISO files, the patch files and xdelta, and I followed the readme to the letter. But when I run patch.bat it says

xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT

It does this for both discs.

Help?

EDIT: never mind, I looked in the thread and someone found a solution, which I'll try.

For all you Mac people (Leopard/Intel only though, sorry), here's a way to patch the ISOs

OK so I found this OS X script to patch a DS version of Soma Bringer over at GBATemp and kinda figured out a weird way to make it patch the 2 Policenauts ISOs. It's kinda tricky, so pay close attention:

1. Download this zip file and make sure the contents are extracted and put inside a folder called "PatchSoma".

2. Open the file inside that folder named "PatchSoma" with TextEdit, you'll have to change the text in there that reads "policenauts_patch2.xdt" to "policenauts_patch1.xdt" and then save the file, then close it.

3. Rename your Policenauts ISOs to Policenauts1.iso and Policenauts2.iso

4. Drag ONLY the ISO for the FIRST DISC into the PatchSoma folder.

5. Open the "Terminal" application (it's in Applications/Utilities)

6. Drag the newly-modified "PatchSoma" file into the Terminal window and hit Enter.

7. If you don't see any error messages and you just see a little cursor below in the terminal window that means it's doing its thing. Wait a couple minutes until you see another prompt appear in the terminal and that will mean that the patch is complete. Check the size of the new patched iso. The correct size of the patched Disc 1 ISO should be 714.2 MB.

8. Once you have confirmed that the patch was successful, drag both ISOs (the original and newly patched Disc 1 ISOs) out of the PatchSoma folder and put them somewhere else. To clarify: the 2 ISOs that you have to move need to be removed from this folder so that when you put the Disc 2 ISO in there it is the only ISO file in the folder.

9. Open the "PatchSoma" file with TextEdit and change "policenauts_patch1.xdt" to "policenauts_patch2.xdt". Save the change, then close it.

10. Drag the ISO for the 2nd disc (Policenauts2.iso) into the PatchSoma folder and do the same for this ISO as you did the previous one. The correct size for the patched Disc 2 ISO is 584.5 MB.

You should now have working ISOs for Policenauts.

As for burning the discs, Toast Titanium worked great for me, just tell it to burn at 2X to ensure the burn works right.

riskVSreward said:
I have a feeling that after waiting so long for this patch to come out, I'm gonna end up disliking the game itself. The hype has been unbearable to say the least.
I've played up to the part where you arrive at the space colony and so far it is AWESOME. The story is great, it feels like a more polished followup to Snatcher.

MercuryLS

Banned
I've got a PSP with a really old firmware on it (that still allows PS1 games to run as an eboot), would it still work on it? I haven't updated it in years, so I'm worried it won't work.

Edit: Poly, what emulator are you using to play this on your mac?

polyh3dron said:
7. If you don't see any error messages and you just see a little cursor below in the terminal window that means it's doing its thing. Wait a couple minutes until you see another prompt appear in the terminal and that will mean that the patch is complete. Check the size of the new patched iso. The correct size of the patched Disc 1 ISO should be 714.2 MB.

I'm getting this:

Dambrosi

Banned
I've found a solution, but it involves getting your fingers dirty and using the DOS prompt.

Firstly, rip your Policenauts CDs using IsoBuster as in Mr. Hyde's post. Put the disc into the PC's DVD drive, then open IsoBuster. From there, you should see a content tree with "Session 01" and "Track 01" on the left hand side; that's what's on your CD. Right-click on the "Track 01" entry, select "Extract Data", then select the bottommost option, "Extract RAW data (2532 bytes per...er, sector, or something, I can't remember). Let it rip, and you'll get a usable .iso for your trouble.

Secondly, make sure your .iso files are named Policenauts1.iso and Policenauts2.iso, and that these files are placed in the same folder as the patch files and the xdelta application.

Then, go to the Start menu, click the Run button, type "cmd" into the dialog box that opens and click Enter, navigate to that directory (by typing "cd [exact location of directory with patch and .iso's, beginning with the root drive]") and, when the DOS prompt gets there, type these instructions:

xdelta3.0u.x86-32.exe -n -f -d -s Policenauts1.iso policenauts_patch1.xdt Policenauts_English1.iso
xdelta3.0u.x86-32.exe -n -f -d -s Policenauts2.iso policenauts_patch2.xdt Policenauts_English2.iso

You see, there's a bug in xdelta that makes it not work properly with Athlon CPUs (something to do with checksums, I can't wrap my head around that stuff, don't ask me), and the "-n" command bypasses the checksum verification process. This will probably work on Intel systems too, but I can't confirm that.

And remember to always burn the .iso's to CD at the slowest speed possible! I had sound and loading problems up the wazoo with mine until I figured it out! Though I still don't get any sound on the intro movie for some reason. Everything else works fine; can anyone help?

MercuryLS said:
I've got a PSP with a really old firmware on it (that still allows PS1 games to run as an eboot), would it still work on it? I haven't updated it in years, so I'm worried it won't work.

Save yourself the trouble and CFW that shit. Like, now.

Actually, how old we talkin'? Pre- or post-3.71?

Duane Cunningham said:
I'm getting this:

How are you manufacturing your ISO? The program is basically saying that the checksum of your ISO is not what it's looking for.

k0ji-wd

Finally got it onto the PSP after my macbook pro refused to read the goddamn CDs in any way, had to use an external DVD rom to get it to read but. . .

I impulse bought this game on the cheap from a second hand store here in hokkaido as a 'collectable' a while ago just to have it, but actually getting to play it now. . .well it's seriously awesome, the translation reads great and the story is just engrossing.

I made an at3 file so I could have a nice loading screen with the theme music playing on the PSP, if anyone wants it, grab it here

holy shit, been playing policenauts for abit while, fuckin great game, top notch fan translation.
in case anyone wondering, it does work with pcsxbox.

polyh3dron said:
How are you manufacturing your ISO? The program is basically saying that the checksum of your ISO is not what it's looking for.

Damn. I actually ripped it and the rest of my psx collection at least a year ago on a PC I no longer have. I still have all my PSX discs, but if I need to rip it again, it'll have to be on my macbook. I don't have windows installed... is there a good iso ripper for OSX?

darkvir

Great news and a big thanx to polyh3dron :)

I ripped my Policenauts that I grabbed from Ebay for only 22 bux a few weeks ago. I did have the Saturn version for ages now (cool if could patch that version too!)

Followed the instructions from polyh3dron and then used Prometeus Pro to create a couple of EBOOTs for my PSP. Everything worked like a charm, the translation is AAA work as well.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i like the bit about bent cigarettes at the beginning. :D time to play through this badboy.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
alr1ghtstart said:
obviously my isos are fine, as they patched fine. Getting the multi-disc eboot to work though...

using rs-popstationmd gui 3

It boots fine past the PSone logo, then stuck on blackscreen. Which pops version are you guys using?
Yeah I can't get a multi eboot to run either. I had been fiddling with the Japanese version yesterday and got it working, but it would take forever to load things.

Duane Cunningham said:
Damn. I actually ripped it and the rest of my psx collection at least a year ago on a PC I no longer have. I still have all my PSX discs, but if I need to rip it again, it'll have to be on my macbook. I don't have windows installed... is there a good iso ripper for OSX?
The ripper is coming from INSIDE THE COMPUTER.

Top Bottom