• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Is anyone else surprised the media is actual pushing back and refuting Paul Ryan's speech? The media is usually timid when it comes to blatant lying by politicos nowadays.

I think the conventions make the race real for a lot of places, people usually don't pay attention to stuff going on in the summer. The media does do it's job when it really counts I think, besides something as blatant bullshit as Ryan's speech really can't go unnoticed.

Jooney

Just caught up with the last few pages from the old thread.

Kosmo is amazing. His defence of “You didn’t build that” was peerless, although I’m disappointed that he didn’t express regret that the RNC didn’t bus in faux-delegates from all 57 states to nominate Romney as their candidate!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Is anyone else surprised the media is actual pushing back and refuting Paul Ryan's speech? The media is usually timid when it comes to blatant lying by politicos nowadays.

The media throws a bone every once in a while. This looks like no exception. So I am not convinced, yet. But I want to believe.

pigeon

Banned

Well, I think they're really in a bind, what with their fear of appearing "biased" (and look what happened when people did call them on it -- the Romney campaign said they "wouldn't let their campaign be dictated by fact-checkers"). That said, honestly, a post-truth campaign is a direct threat to the relevance of the mainstream media. As Sarah Palin and others already discovered, if you're just going to lie all the time and rely on your homegrown media network, why bother talking to other reporters at all? So I'd like to think they'll keep pushing back. But time will tell.

thekad

Banned
Well, I think they're really in a bind, what with their fear of appearing "biased" (and look what happened when people did call them on it -- the Romney campaign said they "wouldn't let their campaign be dictated by fact-checkers"). That said, honestly, a post-AND THAT'S ALL THE TIME WE HAVE.

Nothing's changed.

I think with the rise of fact checking organizations and just the way social media has taken off these days, the media will slowly but surely get a bit better when it comes to keeping candidates honest.

The media and interviewers should be asking politicians tough questions, and hold their feet to the fire, while fact check organizations should be now holding the media and interviewers feet to the fire to make sure they are doing their jobs.

wow...I got into top 10 this time.

Also, this line from Romney's speech tonight...I just don't even know what to say.

“President Obama promised to slow the rise of the oceans and to heal the planet. MY promise…is to help you and your family.”

Still timid, especially TV media.

codhand

Stopped playing Borderlands to check in, saw Jeb, and all I heard was, "Kept. Us. Safe."

Three nights in a row of this can't be healthy.

Also, this line from Romney's speech tonight...
ibaZxYWCoEl334.jpg

So...very important day.

Can Romney cross that threshold that shows him as competent. If he does, he could run away with the election.

Paul Ryan's speech had lot of lies in them. What about Romney? I am sure he will repeat the lines about Welfare, Stimulus, etc. Will Media call him out or just focus on rousing ovations that were received?

Where will the race be going into next weekend? Reuters/Ipsos shows Romney bump of +4 over last days, but still within their MOE.

codhand

Matthews continues his hitting streak defending Jeb from Ed Shultz. Wow.

Edit: Oh, I was in the top ten in the last thread too! (no. 7)

Sadly I would have been higher were it not for my Edit addiction...

Maybe I'll nuke my account on Nov 7th for the greater good, a la Flying Phoenix

The media throws a bone every once in a while. This looks like no exception. So I am not convinced, yet. But I want to believe.
And even when they do, they still try to soften the blow. USA Today for instance did a decent fact check, but the cover for their paper has a very favorable headline and cover story for Ryan and his speech.

Piers Morgan asking Scott Walker about the GM Plant.

He said "it doesn't matter what date it shut down."

And Piers telling him he didn't make that promise and Walker saying he did make the promise.

The lying. It never ends. Cut him off, Piers. You hack.

Jackson50

So...very important day.

Can Romney cross that threshold that shows him as competent. If he does, he could run away with the election.

Paul Ryan's speech had lot of lies in them. What about Romney? I am sure he will repeat the lines about Welfare, Stimulus, etc. Will Media call him out or just focus on rousing ovations that were received?

Where will the race be going into next weekend? Reuters/Ipsos shows Romney bump of +4 over last days, but still within their MOE.
Indeed.

No. And in the unlikely event that he does, he won't run away with anything.

Yes. Romney's speech will be replete with fabrications and distortions. They'll focus on both, actually.

Romney should have a nominal lead. But it will prove ephemeral, and Obama should regain the advantage.
watching Gingrich pander to Hispanics is hilarious
Really? Remember, he wanted to protect the grandmas.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box...ey-gets-convention-bounce-takes-national-lead

reuters has romney ahead 44-42, 46-42 for obama in the last poll they done

It begins. Interestingly we get a new jobs report during the DNC. If its another average to bad one I thin Romney will break open a big lead that lasts until the debates; big as in 3-5 points

Will be interesting to see reactions from tonight's speech. It'll probably be boring but people saw what glitzy and great speeches amount to with Obama. Romney just has to look and sound the part tonight. Shouldn't be hard

RDreamer

My brain hurts. Just had Fox News on for a few minutes of this, because I was getting a bit annoyed hearing Al Sharpton and Ed Schultz talk. Good lord, I'll take those idiots any day over Ann Coulter and Sean Hannity. Holy fuck.

Seguin

Banned
My brain hurts. Just had Fox News on for a few minutes of this, because I was getting a bit annoyed hearing Al Sharpton and Ed Schultz talk. Good lord, I'll take those idiots any day over Ann Coulter and Sean Hannity. Holy fuck.

Watch CSPAN

PD is sometimes right though.
You can tell in other political threads that PD doesn't actually believe half the things he says in PoliGAF. He's trolling, and he's no better--in fact, he's worse--than Kosmo because in the end he's lying. Kosmo believes in the shit he peddles. It's worse when PD makes a coherent post, because it just underlines how disingenuous he's being otherwise.

Chuck Todd is an idiot. Republicans always have "token" members who they trot out to show diversity during conventions. And sometimes it bites them back when the crowd doesn't understand why the person on the stage is speaking Spanish. 89% of Republicans are white. The odd mayor or congressman of some other color doesn't make up for that.

Democrats have their own optics they'll use, too. You're going to see gay soldiers, women Republicans, religious figures, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom