• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

President Donald Trump is eager to meet Russian President Vladimir Putin with full diplomatic bells and whistles when the two are in Germany for a multinational summit next month. But the idea is exposing deep divisions within the administration on the best way to approach Moscow in the midst of an ongoing investigation into Russian meddling in the U.S. elections.

Many administration officials believe the U.S. needs to maintain its distance from Russia at such a sensitive time — and interact only with great caution.

But Trump and some others within his administration have been pressing for a full bilateral meeting. He’s calling for media access and all the typical protocol associated with such sessions, even as officials within the State Department and National Security Council urge more restraint, according to a current and a former administration official.
https://apnews.com/a39de0185d6844bfb0c4009b22791252

I just can't anymore.

Well that Johnson oped against Senate bill is something. He seems to have fundamental issues with it, will be interesting to see his justification in the end if he votes Yes.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Still expecting them to all jump onboard before the end of the week (or at least stay a few days into recess to get it done). They did it for the House bill and I just have zero faith in the GOP to do the right thing for once. There is absolutely no evidence for it since Trump was elected. CBO needs to be absolutely devastating for any movement against it.

I like how CNN's website is still talking about Kennedy retiring, when he more or less confirmed he wasn't retiring yesterday (by not announcing it when he was expected to).

Still expecting them to all jump onboard before the end of the week (or at least stay a few days into recess to get it done). They did it for the House bill and I just have zero faith in the GOP to do the right thing for once. There is absolutely no evidence for it since Trump was elected. CBO needs to be absolutely devastating for any movement against it.

But the movement is already against it. There's no evidence people are moving towards the bill, and that's very bad for the bill, especially since a vote needs to happen within the next few days if they want the entire ordeal stamped, signed and ready to implementation by the end of the week.

This is starting out more like the first time the House bill came around, and people sort of half assed supported it, but more and more people started coming out harder against it, until it was just unworkable.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
This isn't the same as other times. McConnell doesn't have his caucus in line, like he did with the DeVos confirmation when 2 voted no and everyone else was silent.

People aren't silent this time, they were hesitant at first but there's more noise over time as more people speak about it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I like how CNN's website is still talking about Kennedy retiring, when he more or less confirmed he wasn't retiring yesterday (by not announcing it when he was expected to).

But the movement is already against it. There's no evidence people are moving towards the bill, and that's very bad for the bill, especially since a vote needs to happen within the next few days if they want the entire ordeal stamped, signed and ready to implementation by the end of the week.

This is starting out more like the first time the House bill came around, and people sort of half assed supported it, but more and more people started coming out harder against it, until it was just unworkable.

But they eventually passed the House bill.

PBY

Banned

Re the house - how real was the opposition given that they still voted for effectively the same bill?

It's like this is your first republican charade.

The things the people against the bill are saying don't sound like a charade. If it's a charade, it's a pretty poorly done one, because it's telling people all of the major problems with the bill.

A charade would have more hollow nothing answers for why they're against the bill, rather than them outright stating stuff like it takes insurance away from millions.

But they eventually passed the House bill.

They don't have the time or energy to do what they did for the House bill all over again.

To be fair, there was resistance and movement away from the second House bill until suddenly there wasn't anymore.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Re the house - how real was the opposition given that they still voted for effectively the same bill?

The changes, while not earth shattering, were real and made the bill worse. Which is exactly what the Freedom Caucus wanted and why they held out the first time. It wasn't just theater. They knew they could push for more and they got it.

To be fair, there was resistance and movement away from the second House bill until suddenly there wasn't anymore.

True, but this time around, the deals don't seem to be happening.

Where are the huge meetings, the Pence involvement, stuff like that? The only notable addition to the bill in the last 4 days is the mandate being added today. If this is make or break for the bill, it certainly doesn't feel that way. The House was in a frenzy during the final few days before the vote. Here, we don't have anything.

There's also the problem that large additions to the bill require lengthy CBO estimates, which they just don't have time for anymore. There's no ability to randomly add additional funding to whatever an hour before the vote is held.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
The things the people against the bill are saying don't sound like a charade. If it's a charade, it's a pretty poorly done one, because it's telling people all of the major problems with the bill.

A charade would have more hollow nothing answers for why they're against the bill, rather than them outright stating stuff like it takes insurance away from millions.

They don't have the time or energy to do what they did for the House bill all over again.

Welcome to GOP Charades 101. Today's lesson is "Analysis of the Hoodwink":

Step 1) Come up with the version of the healthcare bill that you would be okay passing

Step 2) Make a version that's worse than what you want

Step 3) Present the worse version as the "actual" version

Step 4) Have some predetermined "wildcards" make moral objections against the bill (gotta show the people we've got a heart)

Step 5) "Meet", "debate" and "compromise" on some "concessions" and amend the bill back to the version in Step #1 (but don't fix all of the "problems"! you can keep some stuff in like tax breaks for us)

Step 6) Announce to the people that through teamwork, compromise and hard work, you've developed a bill that keeps their best interest in mind

Step 7) Order yourself a keg of O'Douls because you've just successfully passed a really shitty bill! (don't forget to keep the receipt and claim it as a write off)

This isn't the same as other times. McConnell doesn't have his caucus in line, like he did with the DeVos confirmation when 2 voted no and everyone else was silent.

People aren't silent this time, they were hesitant at first but there's more noise over time as more people speak about it.

I will literally bet every penny in my bank account that the bill goes through. We've seen this song and dance before.

That plan doesn't really work when you only give yourself less than a week to get through step 5-7

I will literally bet every penny in my bank account that the bill goes through. We've seen this song and dance before.

We've also seen this song and dance fail before. There's actual, real chatter from senators about the real issues with the bill. Stuff that they wouldn't want out there if this was all a ruse and set up from the start. I think keeping the bill hidden from everyone, even other GOP senators, is going to bite them in the ass.

I don't remember anyone in the house talking about millions being kicked off their insurance.

I can tell you one thing about this administration, it makes me feel like the fucking Highlander.

Can you believe that Trump/Russia meeting where he told them classified info happened LAST MONTH!?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
The reason that President Obama did NOTHING about Russia after being notified by the CIA of meddling is that he expected Clinton would win..

and did not want to "rock the boat." He didn't "choke," he colluded or obstructed, and it did the Dems and Crooked Hillary no good.

????

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
That plan doesn't really work when you only give yourself less than a week to get through step 5-7

Step 5 is a smokescreen. It doesn't really happen (hence stuff being in quotes). It was already largely determined in Step 1. Although an audible could probably be called based on any backlash.

Step 6 can be done by the king of the idiots on Twitter or in a random congressional hallway interview that then gets played on every 24/7 news channel.

Step 7 happens when Easy D puts you on national television to celebrate your victory.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
The real story is that President Obama did NOTHING after being informed in August about Russian meddling. With 4 months looking at Russia...

..under a magnifying glass, they have zero "tapes" of T people colluding. There is no collusion & no obstruction. I should be given apology!

You will be given muller

I expect it to happen this term, but it's not really news. The stakes were known since before the election. They just weren't emphasized on the news as they should have been.

He's not retiring this year. He didn't announce it at his reunion, when he was expected to (and the most appropriate time for him to do so). He hired staff for this term and helped pick cases he specifically wanted to hear.

He's made is plainly obvious he isn't retiring this year. CNN didn't get the memo or doesn't care.

He's not retiring this year. He didn't announce it at his reunion, when he was expected to (and the most appropriate time for him to do so). He hired staff for this term and helped pick cases he specifically wanted to hear.

He's made is plainly obvious he isn't retiring this year. CNN didn't get the memo or doesn't care.

Column B

Plinko

But...he didn't obstruct the investigation. He just didn't tell the public. Not even close to the same thing.

So, again, clear projection and admittance that he A) colluded and B) obstructed the investigation.

Wilsongt

The morning Press releases are here:

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
·
4m

Republican Senators are working very hard to get there, with no help from the Democrats. Not easy! Perhaps just let OCare crash & burn!

·
14m

..under a magnifying glass, they have zero "tapes" of T people colluding. There is no collusion & no obstruction. I should be given apology!

·
19m

The real story is that President Obama did NOTHING after being informed in August about Russian meddling. With 4 months looking at Russia...

·
29m

...and did not want to "rock the boat." He didn't "choke," he colluded or obstructed, and it did the Dems and Crooked Hillary no good.

·
42m

The reason that President Obama did NOTHING about Russia after being notified by the CIA of meddling is that he expected Clinton would win..

·
49m

The Democrats have become nothing but OBSTRUCTIONISTS, they have no policies or ideas. All they do is delay and complain.They own ObamaCare!

Must be takin his morning shit.

Would it be at all unorthodox if he announced this year that he'd be retiring at a specific date in the next few years?

I like how his definition of obstruction is Democrats aren't supporting my stupid legislation...

You have total control... you don't need the Democrats...

Would it be at all unorthodox if he announced this year that he'd be retiring at a specific date in the next few years?

There wouldn't be a reason to. Usually retirement is announced a month or two before the SC season ends, so there's time to find a replacement, and avoid an 8 justice scenario

It'll be time for the "Kennedy Watch" again next spring. Watch out for warning signs in April/May and a potential announcement at that time. Looking through Wikipedia, nearly every retirement was announced in May or early June.

To be honest, I think he was going to retire this year, but held off due to the Muslim ban and Russia stuff. Next year would also be awkward, since he wants to avoid his retirement being a campaign issue, apparently. 2019 might be the real make or break time for him if he wants to retire with the least amount of election fuss, while still being replaced by a Republican.

Plinko

I wonder how these right-wing talking heads would feel if democrats had China help them in 2018 in the same way GOP used Russia in 2016.

I wonder how these right-wing talking heads would feel if democrats had China help them in 2018 in the same way GOP used Russia in 2016.

When the GOP amasses too much power, the Russians will swing in the other direction to break them down. It's what they've been doing to instill chaos (Jill Stein and funding several Left causes). The Republicans are FOOLS to think that Putin is going to have their back for all time (he'll have Trump's certainly).

Ernest

Banned
The morning Press releases are here:

·
4m

Republican Senators are working very hard to get there, with no help from the Democrats. Not easy! Perhaps just let OCare crash & burn!

·
14m

·
19m

·
29m

...and did not want to "rock the boat." He didn't "choke," he colluded or obstructed, and it did the Dems and Crooked Hillary no good.

·
42m

·
49m

The Democrats have become nothing but OBSTRUCTIONISTS, they have no policies or ideas. All they do is delay and complain.They own ObamaCare!

Must be takin his morning shit.

Fucking mind boggling that an adult could act so childish, much less the president.

Nobody even brought up tapes of people colluding. The only tape anyone ever talks about is the pee pee tape

So that must mean there's tapes somewhere showing clear collusion.

Teggy

Um, the Democrats' policy and idea is Obamacare and making tweaks to Obamacare. Guy is an idiot. So damn frustrating.

Zolo

Nobody even brought up tapes of people colluding. The only tape anyone ever talks about is the pee pee tape

So that must mean there's tapes somewhere showing clear collusion.

I think it's more about trying to establish a narrative that there couldn't be collusion if there's no tapes or videos proving it.

Plinko

I think it's more about trying to establish a narrative that there couldn't be collusion if there's no tapes or videos proving it.

Yeah, this is more my take as well. My guess is they have clear evidence from his staff but nothing recorded for him.

DonShula

I wonder at what point getting in front of the story does more harm than good. Some of Trump's followers aren't actually idiots, they're just ignorant. Surely some of them would start to see a correlation between his random outbursts and contradictory information following shortly thereafter.

I wish just once the White House would be asked for comment like 30 seconds before the story drops. You know they won't comment and it'd be better for everyone if they had zero time to formulate a response. Or maybe that already happened with Spicer hiding behind the plant in the dark. How sad is it that I can't even remember which story caused that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom