• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth they haven't ruled on the merits, they are just letting it proceed

Curious how they reinstated it even though they haven't ruled on it yet. Do they not remember the chaos it created when it was first implemented? If they were to start it up again they should have given warning or something.

Curious how they reinstated it even though they haven't ruled on it yet. Do they not remember the chaos it created when it was first implemented? If they were to start it up again they should have given warning or something.

A lot of the chaos was caused by people who were 100% legally allowed in the country being refused.

The SC addressed that with this decision.

A lot of the chaos was caused by people who were 100% legally allowed in the country being refused.

Sure, but that doesn't stop this from allowing a demagogue from banning people based on religion. He said so himself and the fact that nearly half of the Supreme Court is hand waving the evidence as such is terrifying, as if there isn't enough shit to be terrified about.

Turning away refugees fleeing from war is a travesty, regardless of whether they have ties or not.

I mean no it's not fully implemented, students / employees / people with living relatives / etc are all allowed.

The way I heard it explained a couple of places is that the ban is in effect for people from the 6 countries that have zero ties to the U.S., i.e. They don't have family here, aren't coming here for school or work. The ban does not effect anyone with family ties to the U.S., or those eligible for work or student visas.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How can you argue on a legal basis that it's targeting people for their religion if people of the same religion can come to the US if they aren't from those countries, and even come to the US if they are from Muslim-majority countries not on the ban list?

I never thought this thing wouldn't eventually pass.

How can you argue on a legal basis that it's targeting people for their religion if people of the same religion can come to the US if they aren't from those countries, and even come to the US if they are from Muslim-majority countries not on the ban list?

I recall one of the rulings saying something to the effect of "it's ridiculous to say that something is discriminatory only if the entire group is targeted at once". Have you read any of the decisions, because I'm sure that concept is addressed in more detail there.

Honestly, it's not that hard. The url for the order on the White House site even called it A Muslim ban and not a travel ban. Sure there are Muslims who can come and non-Muslims who can't, but the intent would be relevant I think.

Honestly, it's not that hard. The url for the order on the White House site even called it A Muslim ban and not a travel ban. Sure there are Muslims who can come and non-Muslims who can't, but the intent would be relevant I think.

That and Trump+associates have explicitly referred to it as a Muslim ban multiple times. The intent is very clear.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

This. There's a lot of argument about the nature of the ban itself but the absolute uproar was primarily a result of legal visa holders, iraqi allies, etc. being suddenly barred and people being detained in airports nationwide.

As noted in the OT, the partial reinstatement is fairly procedural instead of on its merits.

But the injunctions reach much further than that: They also bar enforcement of §2(c) against foreign nationals abroad who have no connection to the United States at all. The equities relied on by the lower courts do not balance the same way in that context. Denying entry to such a foreign national does not burden any American party by reason of that party’s relationship with the foreign national. And the courts below did not conclude that exclusion in such circumstances would impose any legally relevant hardship on the foreign national himself. See id., at 762 (“[A]n unadmitted and nonresident alien . . . ha no constitutional right of entry to this country”). So whatever burdens may result from enforcement of §2(c) against a foreign national who lacks any connection to this country, they are, at a minimum, a good deal less concrete than the hardships identified by the courts below.

Which makes sense, unfortunately.

Anthony Crupi‏ @crupicrupicrupi 2m2 minutes ago
More
NBC's Megyn Kelly experiment is a disaster. Last night's show drew a series-low 3.41M viewers and a 0.6 news demo, or just 721,000 A25-54.

Keep trying to get those right wing viewers NBC.

Keep trying to get those right wing viewers NBC.

I don't get why they even try. Any true right winger will stay away as long as any other program on a station has the audacity to say things like "treat people equally" or "it's cool that gay people exist".

Why go to a station that hired 1 racist when there are entire stations built on racism.

I don't get why they even try. Any true right winger will stay away as long as any other program on a station has the audacity to say things like "treat people equally" or "it's cool that gay people exist".

Why go to a station that hired 1 racist when there are entire stations built on racism.

NBC misjudged the election results and assumed it would be lucrative to start appealing to the right.

The intent to ban some Muslims isn't any more legal than the intent to ban all of them

Holmes

No tea no shade but it's interesting seeing how Nintendo fans are reacting to a Nintendo console that's not selling like complete ass. Port begging in every thread and saying that the Switch is now the "main console" whatever that means

Ogodei

I like how CNN's website is still talking about Kennedy retiring, when he more or less confirmed he wasn't retiring yesterday (by not announcing it when he was expected to).

But the movement is already against it. There's no evidence people are moving towards the bill, and that's very bad for the bill, especially since a vote needs to happen within the next few days if they want the entire ordeal stamped, signed and ready to implementation by the end of the week.

This is starting out more like the first time the House bill came around, and people sort of half assed supported it, but more and more people started coming out harder against it, until it was just unworkable.

Aye, the environment around this bill better-mirrors what happened in the House in Round 1, where first you had soft-no's and then the opposition started to solidify, unlike the second time where you had soft-no's and they started buying in one by one.

Ogodei

Trump tweets like an addict. He keeps having to go further and further and to get the result he's looking for.

More toddler-logic from our toddler president. If knocking your spaghetti off the table doesn't get your parents' attention, you start throwing cell-phones in toilets.

No tea no shade but it's interesting seeing how Nintendo fans are reacting to a Nintendo console that's not selling like complete ass. Port begging in every thread and saying that the Switch is now the "main console" whatever that means

Wrong thread?

I want more Switch ports too.

NBC misjudged the election results and assumed it would be lucrative to start appealing to the right.

Honestly I think it's something else, specifically the network believing Megyn Kelly has star power as a journalist/interviewer, ala Barbara Walters. In reality she just looks the part (white, blond) but she's...not talented or interesting. Having high ratings on Fox during the Obama era doesn't strike me as a barometer for future success on another network. I think normal viewers who don't reside in the right wing outrage/resentment bubble are turned off by her, and perhaps the ratings bear that out.

The media may never recover from chasing profits over the truth. If #45 got anything right, it's FAKE NEWS.

TMZ is more reliable than all the TV networks combined.

The intent to ban some Muslims isn't any more legal than the intent to ban all of them

I'd like to hear more before drawing a conclusion.

Aye, the environment around this bill better-mirrors what happened in the House in Round 1, where first you had soft-no's and then the opposition started to solidify, unlike the second time where you had soft-no's and they started buying in one by one.

I am holding my breath.

Hasn't MSNBC been canceling left-wing oriented shows for more conservative drek?

It seems like they made a failing bet on right-wing news.

Ogodei

Hasn't MSNBC been canceling left-wing oriented shows for more conservative drek?

For a while it looked like they were headed that way, like when it seemed like Lawrence O'Donnell wasn't going to get renewed.

No, they've simply assembled a team of Moderate Darlings such as Greta Van Susteren and George Will - George fucking Will - to provide #bothsides... I mean, balanced, nuanced views of the issues affecting this country.

Apparently criticizing Trump at all means you become a Moderate Darling, even if the rest of your views remain repugnant. #pleasedontcallusliberalmedia #$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom