• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah..

No more family names. While JFK still really well remembered across the country "random ass Kennedy family member" does not have a favorable view amongst most people outside of New England

We'll see how it works for Chris Kennedy, who's running for Illinois governor. The field is crowded and the establishment seems to be lining up behind J.B. Pritzker, but he certainly has high name recognition.

welp, Gallup has been pretty schizo lately

from 42/54 to 36/58 in four days

My guess is a bad day for Trump rolling onto the average followed by a good day rolling off.

Christ I really hope this healthcare bill fails.

I don't know how Collins, Heller, Murkowski, etc will be able to look at themselves in the mirror if it doesn't.

I know how McConnell and crew will, they're fucking monsters.

Heitkamp goes off on the Senate Healthcare bill on CNBC. Video at the link.

https://twitter.com/SenatorHeitkamp/status/879397785057013760
If there's one senator I'm glad we have it's Heitkamp. I'm willing to overlook some of her annoying plays to the center to be like "holy shit we have a D senator from North Dakota in 2017."

And those plays to the center could very well keep her there in 2019. And 2024.

We'll see how it works for Chris Kennedy, who's running for Illinois governor. The field is crowded and the establishment seems to be lining up behind J.B. Pritzker, but he certainly has high name recognition.
Yes, Kennedy has a massive name recognition in the state. I would say second only to Barack Obama's when he was still a Congressman. I think the most recent polling a month ago had Kennedy with a massive lead over every other contender including JB Pritzker.

I liked what I saw from JB. But since he's one of the most richest men in the country, I have my doubts...I dunno.

Edit: sorry, polling is from March

VZoQain.png

Also, Sumners could turn out to be the dark horse candidate.

cErIrLp.png

Christ I really hope this healthcare bill fails.

I don't know how Collins, Heller, Murkowski, etc will be able to look at themselves in the mirror if it doesn't.

I know how McConnell and crew will, they're fucking monsters.

Please don't let the Moderate Darlings fool you. They couldn't give two shits about the effects of this bill or the deaths it'll cause. Any opposition stems from a desire to maintain the images and reputations they've created - images bolstered and tolerated by media who have to show BOTH SIDES and thus have to show a few non-monstrous Republicans.

Please don't let the Moderate Darlings fool you. They couldn't give two shits about the effects of this bill or the deaths it'll cause. Any opposition stems from a desire to maintain the images and reputations they've created - images bolstered and tolerated by media who have to show BOTH SIDES and thus have to show a few non-monstrous Republicans.
Yeah, I realize the ones I mentioned aren't much better.

It's funny listening to Franken's book and him talking about the importance of seeing the Republican senators as people, they just think their way is what's right, etc etc. But I feel there has to be a moral event horizon for them where it's like, nope, they're all fucking demons, I don't care how many bipartisan bills you got passed to fund (needed) pet projects. Letting AHCA go through is going to unleash unspeakable pain and suffering on this country.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The single most important fact for you to know and understand Republican Representatives and Senators is that many of them also are dumb and get most of their information from Fox News just like their voters.

The single most important fact for you to know and understand Republican Representatives and Senators is that many of them also are dumb and get most of their information from Fox News.

Members of Congress represent the people. Dumb people elect dumb representatives. Listen to any Congressional hearing and witness the stunningly poor speech of our elected officials. They have limited vocabularies, awkward syntax, logical gaps wide enough to accommodate Trump's ass. We have few brain trusts in Congress, with some notable exceptions.

Look at the second bullet point. This only applies to people who don't have insurance for more than 60 days. If you go from one job to another you can get coverage immediately. Its a horrible bill but this claim isn't accurate.
Don't a lot of jobs have waiting periods of up to 90 days before benefits kick in, so even if you were lucky enough to go directly from one job to another, you could risk being blocked from getting insurance if you didn't pay for COBRA or whatever during the gap?

Over the past few months, the right-wing media has increasingly turned into their own personal propaganda machine.
I'd argue it's been like that for, well, years, but the nature of what they have to defend is pushing them to new levels of ridiculousness.

Ogodei

It's funny listening to Franken's book and him talking about the importance of seeing the Republican senators as people, they just think their way is what's right, etc etc. But I feel there has to be a moral event horizon for them where it's like, nope, they're all fucking demons, I don't care how many bipartisan bills you got passed to fund (needed) pet projects. Letting AHCA go through is going to unleash unspeakable pain and suffering on this country.

It's hard to look a coworker in the eye and tell them that they are evil, especially if they're amiable enough in person. That's how politicians preserve comity.

KingK

This. People need to stop giving any benefit of the doubt to any politician willingly associated with the republican party. They are all fucking monsters, every single one. I don't know what else it will take for that message to be drilled into the heads of people on the left. Especially democratic politicians. It's like most of them live in some alternate reality where there are plenty of good republicans wanting to do the right thing, and bipartisan opportunities abound if only we try a bit harder, or give the republicans a bit more space.

It's hard to look a coworker in the eye and tell them that they are evil, especially if they're amiable enough in person. That's how politicians preserve comity.
Fuck comity and being politically correct with colleagues who are evil pieces of shit. It's that attitude that has a lot of people frustrated with the party; this compulsive need to remain amicable with the opposition and cling to every norm as if it still means anything. Start telling it like it is. Go full blast demonizing the Republicans because you have the fact that they are actually demons on your side. Attempt to mobilize the massive numbers of apathetic non-voters who republicans fuck over on a daily basis, rather than chasing the middle/upper class suburban NIMBY white voters who will always vote for republican tax cuts anyway.

Yeah I understand for someone in the business it's different, but it's a hard bridge to sell me as an observer that no, these guys are alright, honest!

But if someone like Franken doesn't even have a twinge of that anger should this thing pass (hell even if it doesn't, it's despicable either way) I'd have to question his humanity a little.

This. People need to stop giving any benefit of the doubt to any politician willingly associated with the republican party. They are all fucking monsters, every single one. I don't know what else it will take for that message to be drilled into the heads of people on the left. Especially democratic politicians. It's like most of them live in some alternate reality where there are plenty of good republicans wanting to do the right thing, and bipartisan opportunities abound if only we try a bit harder, or give the republicans a bit more space.

I saw a video with a mother begging Capito to vote against the bill, showing her a picture of her daughter who was die as a result, saying "please, my daughter is a person, not a statistic, not a number" and she'll still vote for it.

I hope hell exists just for these monsters who will hear something like this and still vote for money.

Don't a lot of jobs have waiting periods of up to 90 days before benefits kick in, so even if you were lucky enough to go directly from one job to another, you could risk being blocked from getting insurance if you didn't pay for COBRA or whatever during the gap?

Good point. White collar workers will probably see that period drop to 60 days so they don't have to get cobra coverage while companies like Wal-mart make their workers wait six months to get coverage. I honestly think posters on this board are putting more thought into these rules than McConnell's staff.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If somebody obtained some fucking emails implying or outright showing collusion, the universe will implode from the irony.

Right wingers have been out in front of this since the weekend so I'm guessing it's pretty big. My guess is it is Sessions or Flynn.

Zolo

Right wingers have been out in front of this since the weekend so I'm guessing it's pretty big. My guess is it is Sessions or Flynn.

Yeah. It feels we're reaching the stage of 'So collusion happened. It's not a big deal. And if it is, Obama & Hillary did it too."

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
can we vote? i like single payer's chances here

Wait, in the United States? LOL no. Barro is right on the money here:

Josh Barro‏Verified account @jbarro

Josh Barro Retweeted Matthew Yglesias

This is why single payer is a mirage: In the debate, people will learn it entails giving up their current plan & a new ~15% payroll tax.

Run that 15% tax by anyone and it just isn't happening.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Yeah. It feels we're reaching the stage of 'So collusion happened. It's not a big deal. And if it is, Obama & Hillary did it too."
It certainly feels that way. Build the narrative that everyone was colluding, so the actual meaning of the word is gone and it is now redefined for media purposes.

Zolo

And they go to townhalls and stuff, and anyone on the fence will likely sway towards no. They need to act fast if they want to pass it, time isn't their friend, so a recess has a very real chance of killing the entire thing.

Wasn't it reported that barely any Republican politicans have gone to townhalls in the last months.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I finished up Strangers in their Own Land the other day (working on a short writeup of my thoughts) and there's a part at the end where she concludes with something like "but I came to understand them, and although we'll vote differently in the election I will still respect them" or something like that (this is after Trump is confirmed to be the nominee I think)

I have to wonder how she feels about that sentiment now. If she still feels the same way, or if confidence that Trump wouldn't win (and no knowledge about what he would do) made that easier to say

I finished up Strangers in their Own Land the other day (working on a short writeup of my thoughts) and there's a part at the end where she concludes with something like "but I came to understand them, and although we'll vote differently in the election I will still respect them" or something like that (this is after Trump is confirmed to be the nominee I think)

I have to wonder how she feels about that sentiment now. If she still feels the same way, or if confidence that Trump wouldn't win (and no knowledge about what he would do) made that easier to say
What kills me is no one really thinks any of this is a good idea. The only way they've been able to sell this is by spreading blatant lies and misinformation.

They're all staking all of their political power on a dressed-up tax cut bill that will endanger the lives of tens of millions of people, the tax cuts will be repealed in the next reconciliation bill anyway to pay for different tax cuts, and the whole thing will be shitcanned wholesale by the next Democratic administration. To what end?

Kusagari

Collins is the only one that really fooled me but she's truly shown her true colors these past few months.

Plinko

Barro has been an opponent of single payer forever so of course he'd say this

You put it up against AHCA? I like its chances.

After a few years of implementation of AHCA? Maybe. Even then you'd still have a battle.

Ogodei

I'd respect them if they were actually advocating making things better for themselves at the very least (as then you're being rational, if hard-hearted), but outside the plutocrats, they're not. That's the big issue with saying "it's just a difference of opinion." Reality's liberal bias hews for both liberal voters *and* conservative voters.

Given that they reap no benefit from voting Republican other than the suffering of others, you must conclude that they value the suffering of others more than their own wellbeing, and that's often reserved for the most malicious of villains in fiction. Captain Cold just wants to get paid, Magneto sees mutants and non-mutants in a zero-sum world, Joker just wants to hurt people.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Spicer saying something about a $32 trillion single payer or putting in a system thats affordable and accessible

I forgot what he said becuase... 32 trillion? Where's the math for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom