• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I really think Joe Kennedy should run for president.

JWiLL

Banned
I'm just a Canadian dude who happens to follow US politics closely because it's the most entertaining shitshow on Earth, but I'm still a firm believer that these 2 things can be true:

1) Donald Trump is a thin-skinned, blabbering narcissist who shouldn't be president
2) The prolonged investigation about Russian collusion and media hysteria that has gone along with it is all complete bullshit

It's been what, 8 months now? How long can they keep this narrative going? I'm assuming the goal is to go until at least 2018.

I'm just a Canadian dude who happens to follow US politics closely because it's the most entertaining shitshow on Earth, but I'm still a firm believer that these 2 things can be true:

1) Donald Trump is a thin-skinned, blabbering narcissist who shouldn't be president
2) The prolonged investigation about Russian collusion and media hysteria that has gone along with it is all complete bullshit

It's been what, 8 months now? How long can they keep this narrative going? I'm assuming the goal is to go until at least 2018.

Investigations into presidents can take years. It's a huge case they have to build.

KingK

Haven't we already passed the 90 day mark that was supposed to mark the end of the "temporary ban?" Disregarding everything else, I don't understand why that fact alone doesn't completely shut down any credibility for arguments in favor of the ban.

Hindl

The Watergate investigation took two years. Expecting things to be done in 8 months (really the active investigation has been like 3) is way too short of a timeframe. The investigation will probably finish right around the 2018 elections

shem935

Banned

Media narrative=/reasonable time for an investigation to conclude. Most of trumps media narrative surrounding russia has been self inflicted wounds from being a dumbass and firing comey.

If he hadn't of done that we probably wouldn't have talked about it as much.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
New bill text online. Penalties for those without insurance. People are being forced to buy much, much worse insurance.

Ogodei

He's likely to run for his Uncle's seat if/when Warren retires or Murkley's whichever comes first.

His better shot is to take a run at Charlie Baker in 2018, or (if Baker seems too popular still) do a run to replace him in 2022. Warren and the other Senator might be around for a while to stall him in his current position (besides, Governor is a step down from Senator, it's when your career starts its downswing that you take that step).

Plinko

Lee Fang @lhfang

The House health repeal bill creates a new home equity eligibility standard to evict people on Medicaid from nursing homes

I am freaking infuriated right now.

Nah..

No more family names. While JFK still really well remembered across the country "random ass Kennedy family member" does not have a favorable view amongst most people outside of New England

I don't think the Kennedy name has anywhere near the negative connotations that Clinton and Bush have.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I am freaking infuriated right now.

I don't think the Kennedy name has anywhere near the negative connotations that Clinton and Bush have.

Honestly aside from the absolute travesty this is for people, it will be an absolute shitshow for our medical system.

I'm thinking of all the Medicaid nursing home patients basically being kicked out and getting dumped by their families at my ER and it makes me want to fly away into the sun.

Plinko

Honestly aside from the absolute travesty this is for people, it will be an absolute shitshow for our medical system.

I'm thinking of all the Medicaid nursing home patients basically being kicked out and getting dumped by their families at my ER and it makes me want to fly away into the sun.

Medicaid pays for the vast majority of nursing home residents. It is going to be insane.

Surfinn

I wonder if there is still something to come out of that "tick tick" tweet today. We need some good news after the travel ban crap.

Plinko

The AMA absolutely destroyed that healthcare bill in their letter. Said it violates the "Do no harm" principle.

What makes you say it's bullshit?
This. And the media is one thing, but Mueller isn't a hack. The investigation is going to go on as long as necessary to clear things up. If there is evidence of shady shit, he's going to want to build an absolutely airtight case, and that takes time. Remember the Watergate investigation took 2 years!

It's one thing for them to go after poor people. They don't care about that.

But attempting to destroy entire sectors of the economy that make mega money and have huge corporations is really weird. It doesn't really make sense and doesn't really fit in with the GOP's usual focus.

Whose even writing this thing?

Also these seem to be rather significant changes to the law, so the CBO estimate will probably be a few more days. Days that they do not have.

Zolo

It's one thing for them to go after poor people. They don't care about that.

But attempting to destroy entire sectors of the economy that make mega money and have huge corporations is really weird. It doesn't really make sense and doesn't really fit in with the GOP's usual focus.

Whose even writing this thing?

Also these seem to be rather significant changes to the law, so the CBO estimate will probably be a few more days. Days that they do not have.

Because they're going on recess right?

Hasn't MSNBC been canceling left-wing oriented shows for more conservative drek?

It seems like they made a failing bet on right-wing news.

Everyone has this misconception that MSNBC is trying to be more conservative. They aren't. They ARE however playing it fairly smart by having individual shows catered to individual audiences.

I expect that at some point they will next drop Chris Matthews and replace him with Joy Reid.

studyguy

Mandate is back sorta. (Which is a duh, anything w/o was asking for a death spiral)
Also a 6mo wait period for lapse coverage, because that's what they do in high risk pools to keep costs down. Turns out paying out benefits for critical care is expensive, so why do that when you can let those suffering languish for months and potentially die, thus saving the tax payer from paying for their icky icky health bill, right?

FREEDOM

So everyone who gets a new job or gets laid off now has to wait 6 months to get insurance?

Pretty much everyone has a lapse in coverage at some point in their lives. I had one just last year due to turning 26 and getting kicked off my dad's insurance, but before my work's insurance kicked in

Because they're going on recess right?

Yes

And they go to townhalls and stuff, and anyone on the fence will likely sway towards no. They need to act fast if they want to pass it, time isn't their friend, so a recess has a very real chance of killing the entire thing.

So everyone who gets a new job or gets laid off now has to wait 6 months to get insurance?

Pretty much everyone has a lapse in coverage at some point in their lives. I had one just last year due to turning 26 and getting kicked off my dad's insurance, but before my work's insurance kicked in

As if people weren't already slaves to their jobs, this just cements it.

As if people weren't already slaves to their jobs, this just cements it.

If we have a recession with mass layoffs, it's going to make it so much worse. It'll cause a chain reaction, even if only one sector is effected, the loss of insurance for millions for 6+ months could cause the recession to hit health industries extremely hard. Causing more layoffs. Causing more loss of insurance for 6 months, and so on.

On a practical level, it also doesn't even make sense to block anyone from buying insurance if they can afford it.

Apharmd

This is insanity. Not only the preconditions essentially neuter the insurance, but people are mandated to get it. How is this not seen as anything but an attempt to destroy the nation?

Diablos

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday sidestepped one of the most hotly contested gun rights disputes in years, declining to rule in a California case on whether a person’s constitutional right to keep firearms for self-defense extends outside the home.

Gun owners had taken aim at a California law that bars them from being granted a permit to carry a concealed gun in public places unless they show “good cause” for having it, with county sheriffs making the determination.

The justices let stand a lower court’s ruling upholding a San Diego County sheriff’s policy of denying such permits unless the gun owner documents a need for self-defense. The San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the policy last year, finding that the U.S. Constitution offers no right to carry a concealed weapon.

Two conservative justices, including President Donald Trump appointee Neil Gorsuch, said the court should have heard the case.

Uh huh...

Ogodei

Presumably it just means being locked out of the individual market, which means if you lose your job or if you become self-employed, you need to get on COBRA immediately or buy your new insurance before the old policy lapses.

So you're not blocked from the group market, meaning your employer can on-board your health benefits immediately.

It's only the people out on the individual market already who get screwed when they miss a payment.

Presumably it just means being locked out of the individual market, which means if you lose your job or if you become self-employed, you need to get on COBRA immediately or buy your new insurance before the old policy lapses.

So you're not blocked from the group market, meaning your employer can on-board your health benefits immediately.

It's only the people out on the individual market already who get screwed when they miss a payment.

No, it literally means you can have insurance, but they can't cover you for 6 months
ifrhkgK.jpg

Absolute nonsense. Also now insurance companies need to keep files on people who they have as customers but not actually customers and it just sounds like a huge mess for them to sort through.

In theory someone who gets laid off becomes responsible for buying insurance, which is the same as under the ACA . Of course without the subsidies the plans cost way, way more and most people won't be able to afford it. Its almost like this is a shitty plan where they don't really care how people are impacted.

No, it literally means you can have insurance, but they can't cover you for 6 months
http://i.imgur.com/ifrhkgK.jpg[/IMG
[/QUOTE]

Look at the second bullet point. This only applies to people who don't have insurance for more than 60 days. If you go from one job to another you can get coverage immediately. Its a horrible bill but this claim isn't accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom