• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoXChaos

McCain seat should the unfortunate happen whenever that may be will be filled by Ducey who will choose a Republican that will commit to running for the seat. It's highly unlikely that it will be open.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
McCain seat should the unfortunate happen whenever that may be will be filled by Ducey who will choose a Republican that will commit to running for the seat. It's highly unlikely that it will be open.
I think everyone knows that. But the seat won't be held by someone the voters chose.

UberTag

"@realDonaldTrump

I just pardoned myself. Time to go back fixing America. Witchhunt over! "
@realDonaldTrump

Hey Mueller, YOU'RE FIRED! #MAGA

^that is a tweet i would not be surprised to see from Trump.
The thing about Trump is that he loves having eyeballs on him for big decisions. He'll tease a pardon decision on Twitter, set a deadline for a press conference and hype it up for TV ratings. The world will be watching when the President pardons himself and his cronies of all their crimes and gets his army of white rich seals to clap for his emboldened decision.

Wash, rinse, repeat the above for his decision on firing Mueller.

Loxley

If we ever end up in the situation where Trump pardons himself and his cohorts, I could practically guarantee you there will be riots in D.C. as a response.

The Supreme Court proceedings would be lit as fuck.

In OT I predicted a 5-4 or 6-3 ruling (with Kennedy and/or Roberts joining the liberals) that Trump can't pardon himself. Gorsuch is a Trump stooge, Alito's just a stooge, and I don't think WOKE Thomas would be so WOKE in this scenario.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
When he says "sounds like a law firm but is not", does that mean Trump's legal team is now just three random lawyers?

Ernest

Banned
Nothing to see here (except Trump asking his advisers about his power to pardon family members or even himself)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...2ebf2c-6d71-11e7-b9e2-2056e768a7e5_story.html
NYT has a related story;
Trump Aides, Seeking Leverage, Investigate Mueller's Investigators

President Trump's lawyers and aides are scouring the professional and political backgrounds of investigators hired by the special counsel Robert S. Mueller III, looking for conflicts of interest they could use to discredit the investigation — or even build a case to fire Mr. Mueller or get some members of his team recused, according to three people with knowledge of the research effort.

The search for potential conflicts is wide-ranging. It includes scrutinizing donations to Democratic candidates, investigators' past clients and Mr. Mueller's relationship with James B. Comey, whose firing as F.B.I. director is part of the special counsel's investigation.

The effort to investigate the investigators is another sign of a looming showdown between Mr. Trump and Mr. Mueller, who has assembled a team of high-powered prosecutors and agents to examine whether any of Mr. Trump's advisers aided Russia's campaign to disrupt last year's presidential election.

This White House is fundamentally corrupt.

And now they're obviously SHOOK as fuck.

Why do this shit if Trump has done nothing wrong?

That's just one poll based on how people are feeling right now. A lot can and will happen between now and November 2018. And I highly doubt things will get better for Trump.

No it isn't?

It's not even a poll or anything from what I can tell.

It's just "here's what we would expect turnout to be based on the 2006, 2010, and 2014 midterms."

And that seems a little flawed to be honest.

tuxfool

Banned
A play in 3 parts.

History:
DFNUPe-UMAUcxsP.jpg

then:
hahahahahaha
A ship chartered by far-right group Defend Europe to hamper the rescue of refugees in the Mediterranean has been detained near the Suez Canal.

According to anti-extremist group, Hope Not Hate, naval authorities surrounded the vessel and took over control from those on board.

An employee at the Suez Canal Authority confirmed ”it was arrested by the security authorities" because of ”a matter of security due to the lack of documentation and papers".

Satellite tracking shows the ship currently just outside the entrance to the Suez Canal where it was trying to gain access to the Mediterranean.

and finally:

UberTag

No it isn't?

It's not even a poll or anything from what I can tell.

It's just "here's what we would expect turnout to be based on the 2006, 2010, and 2014 midterms."

And that seems a little flawed to be honest.
Applying historic turnout trends to today's volatile political climate seems like a mistake.
Especially when 2006 and 2014 were mid-terms for a sitting president of 6 years and not one staring down a treason charge after 6 months.

Maengun1

The sky is falling reactions about that study are annoying af. Based on history, I see no way 2018 won't be a wave midterm along the lines of 94 or 06. With the one caveat being that of course the dems have a really bad senate map, but still. I don't think it's an IMPOSSIBLE flip at all.

And honestly, if 2018 ISN'T a wave for the dems after this shit, then I'll probably enter into "lolnothingmatters" territory anyway. Like, if people don't turn out against what we're seeing now, after another year and a half of this, then America is actually truly lost so who cares at that point.

I'm not worried now.

Holmes

Is Mark Kelly such a strong candidate though? His anti-gun stance probably doesn't do him any favor in Arizona unfortunately.

Is Mark Kelly such a strong candidate though? His anti-gun stance probably doesn't do him any favor in Arizona unfortunately.

Maybe, but uh, I doubt anyone tries to hit him over it.
Yeah that would backfire HARD.

Even setting that aside, McCain supported the Toomey-Manchin bill that Kelly and Giffords championed. Depends on whether he runs for the open seat I suppose, but Kelly in particular should be able to bat away that issue.

Have "theme weeks" been a thing for any previous administration?

Because they look like a desperate (and failing!) gradeschool-esque attempt to get the President focused on something other than the looming Russia investigation. And I guess it gives Fox something to talk about during the day. Sad!

JettDash

One thing that Republicans have done with their Obamacare "repeal" attempts whether they are successful or not is set the precedent of using reconciliation to alter it. No reason I can see that Democrats can't use it to create a public option, or at least more generous subsidies (paid for by higher taxes) if they regain power in 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom