• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Trump is probably pissed he was told he can't go to Trump properties on the weekends anymore because it looks bad/is illegal and is having a twitter fit.

kirblar

Are great, unless you're a single parent, who are often barely scraping by if they're making minimum wage.
Custodial single parents get assistance w/ this. But the programs do absolutely need to be improved- I know someone who just got through the section 8 waitlist. (It took nearly a decade.)

Non-custodial single parents do not, and I would agree that is a major issue. The way the EITC and other programs are implemented absolutely screws single people and non-custodial parents over.

Oh hell yes

In other news, each of the 50 states has become too expensive for the average minimum-wage worker to afford a two-bedroom apartment.

The rent is too damn high.

Unless you're a single parent with kids, not sure why one person would need a two bedroom apartment. A one bedroom apartment would be a much better metric. But yes, being a single parent is hard! Not sure that's news and it has to do with more than just wages and housing prices.

The rent is still too high in many cities, of course. But not really sure what can be done with limited housing and extreme demand for housing in cities like LA, SF, NYC, DC, Boston, etc.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Huge investigative piece from Buzzfeed on Russia critic murders in the UK.

Lavish London mansions. A hand-painted Rolls-Royce. And eight dead friends. For the British fixer Scot Young, working for Vladimir Putin's most vocal critic meant stunning perks – but also constant danger. His gruesome death is one of 14 that US spy agencies have linked to Russia – but the UK police shut down every last case. A bombshell cache of documents today reveals the full story of a ring of death on British soil that the government has ignored.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/heidiblake...british-soil?utm_term=.pwAGme5lVV#.shr0Aykrvv

Good on Buzzfeed transitioning into something above trash-level.

I think it's really weird that we have active D primaries for governor in Kansas, Georgia and Oklahoma and nada in Wisconsin or Nevada.

Nevada I'm sure someone will step up in, DPW needs to get its shit together.

kirblar

How does a wave that big give Democrats majorities everywhere but doesn't push us far enough for Medicare for all
If you by Medicare for all as a public option (what it meant back in '08/'09), it absolutely would (cause that Fillibuster will die)

If by Medicare for all you mean single payer, it absolutely won't because you won't have the votes for it.

It's also possible they might shift to medicaid for all if they have difficulty w/ marginal senators. Either way would be fine, there's pluses and minuses on both ends.

Teggy

I don't really feel sorry for these people at all

@jdawsey1 16m16 minutes ago

Reporter asks Trump spokeswoman who are the "bad" and "conflicted" people running probe that he tweeted about. She refers to his lawyer.

I think it's really weird that we have active D primaries for governor in Kansas, Georgia and Oklahoma and nada in Wisconsin or Nevada.

Nevada I'm sure someone will step up in, DPW needs to get its shit together.
Seems weird that after kicking so much ass last election that Nevada wouldn't be prepared for this. They delivered the state for Hillary, an open senate seat, flipped 2 CDs and the entire state legislature but they don't have a candidate for this? Maybe Sprinkle will run if Sandoval vetoes his public option, would be a good thing to run on.

Bladelaw

Nobody reads or cares after step 1 "pay taxes"

Once you mention taxes, people just tune out and instantly hate the idea because of 50 years of indoctrination that taxes are the ultimate evil of the government

You're not wrong. I've posted something similar to what you quoted on my Facebook and it's always some variation of "fuck taxes", "government can't handle healthcare", or my personal favorite "I'll never get cancer"

Fuck You I Got Mine is a way of life for some people.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Wishful thinking in the face of imminent policy despair, or is there actually something to this argument?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/6/15/15787626/mitch-mcconnell-single-payer-medicare-all
I think that's the most likely outcome of the ACHA's passage (perhaps not single payer, but certainly a much more progressive bill than what was possible in 2010). The ACHA is completely unsustainable and I cannot imagine that it survives for long. Not only will the failure of the ACHA basically ensure that healthcare is a major campaign issue in 2018 and 2020, it will also likely shift public opinion further toward single payer. Does the GOP really believe that the issue will just go away once millions of people lose their insurance and millions of others cannot afford to pay? They are basically creating a political crisis and asking the Democrats to campaign on it. With that said, that's little consolation for the people who suffer from the law.

kirblar

Seems weird that after kicking so much ass last election that Nevada wouldn't be prepared for this. They delivered the state for Hillary, an open senate seat, flipped 2 CDs and the entire state legislature but they don't have a candidate for this? Maybe Sprinkle will run if Sandoval vetoes his public option, would be a good thing to run on.
That actually would be a very good idea if that veto does get used.

You're not wrong. I've posted something similar to what you quoted on my Facebook and it's always some variation of "fuck taxes", "government can't handle healthcare", or my personal favorite "I'll never get cancer"

Fuck You I Got Mine is a way of life for some people.
Even with liberals it's the same thing, but with the taxes pushed to someone else

"I don't want this if it means higher taxes for me, why not tax the rich more or lower military spending?"

How does a wave that big give Democrats majorities everywhere but doesn't push us far enough for Medicare for all

If by "medicare for all" you just mean a public option, then Democrats WILL be able to pass it.

But if by "medicare for all" you mean single payer health insurance, yeah not happening. And not because of corruption, but because there isn't enough public support for actual single payer.

From what I understand, Brian Sandoval is somewhat of a Charlie Baker type and is very popular, which is probably why no democrat is brave enough to actually try to run against him.

Surely voting for Jill Stein will be just the antidote for this problem.

There are plenty of Democrats who dont want Medicare for All part of the reasoning is Lobbyists buying them off.

What Jill Stein has to do with this...I dunno. Your humor needs some work.

Medicare for All won't happen until post 2050.

If by "medicare for all" you just mean a public option, then Democrats WILL be able to pass it.

But if by "medicare for all" you mean single payer health insurance, yeah not happening. And not because of corruption, but because there isn't enough public support for actual single payer.

From what I understand, Brian Sandoval is somewhat of a Charlie Baker type and is very popular, which is probably why no democrat is brave enough to actually try to run against him.
Sandoval is term limited.

There are plenty of Democrats who dont want Medicare for All part of the reasoning is Lobbyists buying them off.

What Jill Stein has to do with this...I dunno. Your humor needs some work.

Medicare for All won't happen until post 2050.

LMAO, of course it will. Its gonna be part of the democratic platform and will be implemented at the next dem trifecta (at least a public opinion will be which would over time strangle private insurers and become effectively single payer)

LMAO, of course it will. Its gonna be part of the democratic platform and will be implemented at the next dem trifecta (at least a public opinion will be which would over time strangle private insurers and become effectively single payer)

Which is essentially why I argue for a public option. If you tell people they can have whatever insurance they want, and then turn around and sell Medicare plans for cheap, you'll see >85% enrollment for sure. People really like to say "yes I'm doing what you told me to do but I'm doing it because I want to"

Teggy

I have a political question

Can someone explain this meme:
DCYhm5lXgAAjVh5.jpg:large

I never watched Spongebob

Everytime I complete working on a campaign (in this case, Tom Perriello) I celebrate by getting drunk with fellow political folk. Putting out feelers, seeing what's next, complaining, etc. Lots and lots of talk about Chris Murphy 2020. My general view about presidential primaries is you follow the money. Based on that, a few months ago I would have said that the names to watch are Cory Booker, Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, and/or Eric Garcetti. That's not to say those are who I want, it was simply the reality of Seattle/LA/Boston money. Now it sounds to me, just based on the conversations I've had (so by no means is this definitive), people are really cooling on Warren, and Murphy is replacing her. I've never been sold on Warren as a politician, and she's already partisan toxicity which I'm not sure people want a repeat of in 2020. Obviously no one could possibly be as divisive as Hillary was (due to decades of being attacked/framed/doing dumb shit/etc) but still, I don't think people want another heat shield running for president.

These hearings really give candidates quite the opportunity to audition nationally before even visiting Iowa. Back in 2006/2007 sure Hillary/Obama/Biden/etc got to go after the Bush admin in hearings, but it was nothing like this. Social media has really elevated the senators.

Blader

Well if Medicare for All isn't happening until 2050, then we can all just stop trying now. Phew! That's a load off.

Chris Murphy is the most progressive guy in the Senate.

But he's also a cishet white guy so I'm not sure about him in the primary.

edit: The Spongebob meme is super lame and is just "you are being stupid" and tries to explain that by having Spongebob's mocking voice say your sentence.

Kusagari

Everytime I complete working on a campaign (in this case, Tom Perriello) I celebrate by getting drunk with fellow political folk. Putting out feelers, seeing what's next, complaining, etc. Lots and lots of talk about Chris Murphy 2020. My general view about presidential primaries is you follow the money. Based on that, a few months ago I would have said that the names to watch are Cory Booker, Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, and/or Eric Garcetti. That's not to say those are who I want, it was simply the reality of Seattle/LA/Boston money. Now it sounds to me, just based on the conversations I've had (so by no means is this definitive), people are really cooling on Warren, and Murphy is replacing her. I've never been sold on Warren as a politician, and she's already partisan toxicity which I'm not sure people want a repeat of in 2020. Obviously no one could possibly be as divisive as Hillary was (due to decades of being attacked/framed/doing dumb shit/etc) but still, I don't think people want another heat shield running for president.

These hearings really give candidates quite the opportunity to audition nationally before even visiting Iowa. Back in 2006/2007 sure Hillary/Obama/Biden/etc got to go after the Bush admin in hearings, but it was nothing like this. Social media has really elevated the senators.

I just don't see how Murphy can foster the enthusiasm and following to win a national primary.

Bullshit. A majority think they support it (Gallup) and it's got major political support in California. Once it hits here, it'll sweep the nation.

I have a political question

Can someone explain this meme:

I never watched Spongebob
It's just that thing where people mock the other person by repeating what they say in a stupid voice. Imagine a "duuuuuhhh" in front of it.

Weird that this is the image used for that because there's a way better one from an older episode where SpongeBob actually does that to Plankton, but I can't find a picture of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom