• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not ageism, it's realism.
78 is too old to assume the role of President because you're at a high risk of a whole bunch of things that will kill you. Or affect your decision making. 87 at the end of 2 terms. Ridiculous.
It's irresponsible.

Hopfrog

Come on ya'll, it is gonna be Kander/Moulton. They have it all - Midwesterner and New Englander, youth appeal, military service, excellent Twitter presence...

Hopfrog

78 is too old to assume the role of President because you're at a high risk of a whole bunch of things that will kill you.
It's irresponsible.

image.php

Biden is old as fuck. Conservative on a bunch of issues. A gaffe machine. Borderline gross with his old man touching but we overlook that. And has run 2.5 failed Presidential campaigns if you include his lead trial balloon with Maureen Crazypants Dowd last year.

Awful idea that I don't know why people are still entertaining.

Biden/Kander or Kander/Biden would be the perfect way to balance that ticket.

Franken will also be too old, tbh.

I think both the Gillibrand and Harris trains will probably be approximately as good as each other, unless one turns out to suck ass at campaign speeches or has some huge skeletons in their closet.

Edit: Biden running ten years ago didn't have 8 years as Obama'a super cool uncle VP under his belt. He'll be WAY too old, though. Probably could have beaten Trump this time, given where the voting ended up mattering, but in 2020, c'mon, let's let the new generation have their shot.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I adore Biden but he will simply be too old. I would have happily supported him in 2016 but i think the ship has sailed.

Hopfrog

I would agree that Biden is too old and does not have the best presidential run track record, and you want to be better than the other guy, but are we still thinking that Biden's propensity for gaffes is still as meaningful in a world where Donald J. Trump won the election?

Maybe he really is a special case and people will go back to calling for a suspension to a campaign for a bit of verbal diarrhea even though we live in a reality where an admitted pussy-grabber wins the White House and you can body-slam a reporter and be elected to Congress.

Huh, I had no idea that Kerry had briefly considered Hillary for his VP choice in 2004.

http://content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1626498-2,00.html

With McCain off the list, I walked from my house to Johnson's, which was next door, on a spring afternoon. The obvious vice-presidential choice, we agreed, was John Edwards; in the primaries, he'd emerged as a first-rate campaigner—and I told Jim that despite thiness on substance, I thought, as I been in 2000, that he could handle Cheney in a debate; We couldn't afford to repeat the Lieberman mistake. But there were two other clear possibilities: Dick Gephardt and Hillary Clinton. Kerry was ready to partner with Clinton if it was the way to win, but he doubted it was. He liked Gephardt, was confident he was up to the job of being president, and hoped he might help carry Missouri, which could make the difference in a close election. But both he and Teresa worried that Gephardt was a gray choice who wouldn't light any fires. While Edwards might, they were both uneasy with him. I'd said to Kerry early on that all I cared about was picking the strongest choice—personal feelings had nothing to do with it.

Johnson had compiled a list of about twenty-five "serious" candidates—and some others besides—and we reviewed it in his living room. In addition to Edwards, Clinton, and Gephardt, it included New Mexico governor Bill Richardson and some "out-of-the-box" choices, like Nebraska's maverick Republican senator Chuck Hagel, a kind of McCain surrogate. Hagel, who I guessed wouldn't accept and didn't know his name was on the list, was a nonstarter because he had a zero rating from the League of Conservation Voters. Richardson's prospects were shadowed by alleged womanizing. Publicly reluctant, he coveted the publicity of being considered, but withdrew before the process was finished.

A quiet round of polling helped guide the search. Hillary Clinton had high negatives—she would hurt the ticket; Dick Gephardt apparently didn't help in Missouri—in fact, Edwards's numbers were decidedly stronger there. When I heard this, I should have questioned whether the numbers actually reflected the ultimate impact of a Gephardt pick. As Kerry's running mate, Gephardt's campaigning and the institutional forces in Missouri might have given us a chance in the state, and he might have boosted us a little in Ohio, maybe just enough. But the process was evolving to where it had started—perhaps not in Kerry's mind, but in the conventional wisdom and the will of the Democrats across the country. When I handed Johnson a memo about advertising to be rolled out right after the choice was announced, I included a contingency for "a VP selection... from outside the present battleground states." Johnson and I both knew that meant North Carolina—and Edwards—but Kerry and Teresa still weren't there.

EDIT: Um what

Kerry talked with several potential picks, including Gephardt and Edwards. He was comfortable after his conversations with Gephardt, but even queasier about Edwards after they met. Edwards had told Kerry he was going to share a story with him that he'd never told anyone else—that after his son Wade had been killed, he climbed onto the slab at the funeral home, laid there and hugged his body, and promised that he'd do all he could to make life better for people, to live up to Wade's ideals of service. Kerry was stunned, not moved, because, as he told me later, Edwards had recounted the same exact story to him, almost in the exact same words, a year or two before—and with the same preface, that he'd never shared the memory with anyone else. Kerry said he found it chilling, and he decided he couldn't pick Edwards unless he met with him again. When they did, Kerry tried to get a better personal feel for his potential number two; as rivals for national office since 2000, shortly after Edwards had entered the Senate, the two men hadn't spent a lot of time together. Kerry also wanted a specific reassurance. He asked Edwards for a commitment that if he was chosen and the ticket lost, Edwards wouldn't run against him in 2008. Edwards agreed "absolutely," as Kerry recalled him saying. If Kerry had shared this at the time, I would have told him what I did later: it was naive to think he could rely on a promise like that. Unlike Joe Lieberman, who'd been plucked from relative obscurity by Gore, Edwards had made his own mark in the primaries. He was ambitious—and if he saw his chance the next time, he was likely to go for it.

On the day the Edwards pick was made public, Edwards and I talked for the first time since I had informed him of our decision to work for Kerry and he had reacted angrily. He said he knew I'd helped get him on the ticket and he was grateful. I told him that I welcomed the possibility that we might be friends again, but that wasn't the reason for my preference. I believed it was the right move for Kerry. Kerry's relationship with Edwards would sour after the election—and mine would simply fade away. When Elizabeth discovered she had breast cancer, John and Teresa reached out to help the Edwardses find the best doctors they could. Marylouise and I called—but afterward, never heard from John again. Maybe we shouldn't have expected to. Kerry told me that the Edwardses simply stopped returning calls or talking to him and Teresa. Within months, Edwards started preparing for a bid in 2008. Kerry said that he wished he'd never picked Edwards, that he should have gone with his gut.

Franken will also be too old, tbh.

I think both the Gillibrand and Harris trains will probably be approximately as good as each other, unless one turns out to suck ass at campaign speeches or has some huge skeletons in their closet.

Edit: Biden running ten years ago didn't have 8 years as Obama'a super cool uncle VP under his belt. He'll be WAY too old, though. Probably could have beaten Trump this time, given where the voting ended up mattering, but in 2020, c'mon, let's let the new generation have their shot.

This sexist society will give Harris shit for not having any children.

Unless you're a single parent with kids, not sure why one person would need a two bedroom apartment. A one bedroom apartment would be a much better metric. But yes, being a single parent is hard! Not sure that's news and it has to do with more than just wages and housing prices.

The rent is still too high in many cities, of course. But not really sure what can be done with limited housing and extreme demand for housing in cities like LA, SF, NYC, DC, Boston, etc.

Well, the really easy thing to do is to dramatically increase the housing supply. You're starting to see rents in NYC trend downward (or at least increase more slowly) as a result of increased new construction, and all they're really building is luxury condos. Imagine if there was a nationwide push for high-density mixed-income desegregated housing in our largest cities.

Yeh a super old gaffe machine and an unemployed man with no experience doing much but sick burn tweets. Great balance.

Yeah, but look at what it averages out to!

And hey, I'm flexible! If we want to try that kind of ticket, how about Pete Buttigieg/Bill Clinton? Might as well get the Supreme Court to rule whether the 22nd Amendment prevents one from running for VP.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Kander is my #1 pick. Kander/Franken, Kander/Gillibrand, etc.

I don't really care if Pence doesn't get impeached from this Russia scandal. All I care about it Trump getting kicked out office because it would energize our side and absolutely depress his fanbase.

Pence could never actually win a national election as the top of the ticket, especially with a Trump fanbase that is both depressed at Trump being taken down and angry at the GOP for allowing Trump to be taken down.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
No kidding. Shit's creepy.

To the surprise of no one at all.

I know but it really amazing to see hasn't even been a full 6 months in office.

He is losing it.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/15/trump-russia-investigation-obsession-239614

Trump, for months, has bristled almost daily at the ongoing probes. He has sometimes, without prompting, injected “I’m not under investigation” into conversations with associates and allies. He has watched hours of TV coverage every day — sometimes even storing morning news shows on his TiVo to watch in the evening — and complained nonstop.

After the 2004 election I briefly considered Edwards the best potential pick for 2008, but eventually moved on to Obama. Definitely not a case of my first instinct being right.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Kander is my #1 pick. Kander/Franken, Kander/Gillibrand, etc.

As VP, maybe. At the top of the ticket? LOL NO.

He'd need some serious experience to justify a run at the nomination. A term or two in the Senate or the Governor's mansion, then he can run.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
78 is too old to assume the role of President because you're at a high risk of a whole bunch of things that will kill you. Or affect your decision making. 87 at the end of 2 terms. Ridiculous.
It's irresponsible.
But 82 isn't. Vote Jerry Brown 2020!

PBY

Banned

He'd need some serious experience to justify a run at the nomination. A term or two in the Senate or the Governor's mansion, then he can run.

As it turns out, no one gives a fuck about anything. So that doesn't matter imo.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Experience means nothing any more after Trump. He has the background to reach a lot of voters, he's smart, he's funny, and he is working on voting rights. Guy is perfect for it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
As it turns out, no one gives a fuck about anything. So that doesn't matter imo.

Experience means nothing any more after Trump. He has the background to reach a lot of voters, he's smart, he's funny, and he is working on voting rights. Guy is perfect for it.

They didn't give a fuck in 2016, but who is to say they still won't in 2020? After four years of blatant incompetence? Things change. Besides, if you run someone with 0 experience next to Trump then you'll lose the most potent arrow in your quiver: the fact that you'll definitely do a better job than he did and won't look like a damn fool or make America look dumb in the process.

benjipwns

Banned
Oh, you guys have no idea about the John Edwards stories if you're just coming across that one. (Kerry isn't the only Senator to confirm him doing the same thing to them.)

He also used his son's death in a completely unrelated court case where he basically argued what Wade's spirit was compelling the jury to do the right thing.

Which was normal for him to rip off the other John Edwards' schtick:
In 1985, a 31-year-old North Carolina lawyer named John Edwards stood before a jury and channeled the words of an unborn baby girl.

Referring to an hour-by-hour record of a fetal heartbeat monitor, Mr. Edwards told the jury: ''She said at 3, 'I'm fine.' She said at 4, 'I'm having a little trouble, but I'm doing O.K.' Five, she said, 'I'm having problems.' At 5:30, she said, 'I need out.' ''

But the obstetrician, he argued in an artful blend of science and passion, failed to heed the call. By waiting 90 more minutes to perform a breech delivery, rather than immediately performing a Caesarean section, Mr. Edwards said, the doctor permanently damaged the girl's brain.

''She speaks to you through me,'' the lawyer went on in his closing argument. ''And I have to tell you right now -- I didn't plan to talk about this -- right now I feel her. I feel her presence. She's inside me, and she's talking to you.''
In some ways, he might even have been too successful. In response to a large punitive award against a trucking company whose driver was involved in a fatal accident, the North Carolina Legislature passed a law that barred such awards unless the employee's actions had been specifically approved by company officials.

Over time, Mr. Edwards became quite selective about cases. Liability had to be clear, his competitors and opponents say, and the potential award had to be large.

''He took only those cases that were catastrophic, that would really capture a jury's imagination,'' Mr. Wells, a defense lawyer, said. ''He paints himself as a person who was serving the interests of the downtrodden, the widows and the little children. Actually, he was after the cases with the highest verdict potential. John would probably admit that on cross-examination.''

The cerebral palsy cases fit that pattern. Mr. Edwards did accept the occasional case in which a baby died during delivery; The North Carolina Lawyers Weekly reported such cases as yielding settlements in the neighborhood of $500,000. But cases involving children who faced a lifetime of expensive care and emotional trauma could yield much more.

His affair and stuff while his wife was dying of cancer is just like the filthy cherry on top of his career.

It's irresponsible.
I mean of course it's agism

There's a mechanism for removing someone who cannot do the job anymore due to inability.

I don't think bernie would be incapable of the job at all

Diablos

Kerry was a garbage candidate. If he couldn't even realize after what I just read that Edwards was a bad choice, he's a fool.

Post-Trump political climate will go one of two ways:

--Standards return to normal because nothing applies to Trump, just like now

--Massive swing towards experience and boringness in candidates (Hillary 2020 2018!)

In absolutely no fucking way will everyone get anything near the permissions Trump got

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...f_story.html?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.42e750f39da0

Special counsel is investigating Jared Kushner’s business dealings

Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller is investigating the finances and business dealings of Jared Kushner, President Trump’s son-in-law and adviser, as part of the probe into Russia’s interference in the 2016 presidential election, according to officials familiar with the matter.

FBI agents and federal prosecutors have also been examining the financial dealings of other Trump associates, including former national security adviser Michael Flynn, former campaign chairman Paul Manafort and Carter Page, who was listed as a foreign policy adviser for the campaign.

The officials who described the financial focus of the investigation spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

At the December meeting with Kislyak, Kushner suggested establishing a secure communications line between Trump officials and the Kremlin at a Russian diplomatic facility, according to U.S. officials who reviewed intelligence reports describing Kislyak’s account.

benjipwns

Banned
Post-Trump political climate will go one of two ways:

--Standards return to norms because nothing applies to Trump, just like now

--Massive swing towards experience and boringness in candidates (Hillary 2020 2018!)
And who fits both qualities?

Why even have the primaries?

Terry McAuliffe should be writing his convention speech.

This has to be the worst possible takeaway from the 2016 election. Like, rather than figure out what we did wrong just throw up our hands and say "no one gives a fuck about anything." That's a good way never to learn any lessons from losing.

There's really two issues here. The first is electability. The argument that Trump's business experience qualified him to be president was of course nonsense, but people bought it. Nobody is going to buy the notion that being Missouri Secretary of State qualifies one to be president. And experience arguments may carry more weight after four years of Trump.

The second issue is that, well, it's important that the President of the United States actually be qualified to hold the position. Having appropriate experience is a prerequisite for me to support a candidate. You don't want to put someone in there who's just going to lead to Republicans taking right over again four years later when they can't get the job done.

Lo-Volt

This was probably the fear of Repiblicans and potential investigation targets. A special counsel with a dogged reputation and wide-ranging power turns one stone over, and then another, and then another, and then another. And this boorish mafia of a government was walking right into the buzzsaw.

Kerry was by no means a great candidate but he wasn't terrible either. In the end he basically did about what you would expect a generic Democrat to do given the circumstances of the 2004 election. Compare to Gore who lost an election four years earlier he had no business losing or to Hillary Clinton for that matter. Honestly, of all the losing Democratic candidates I'd say he was the best since Humphrey (and yes, I'm aware "best losing candidate" isn't exactly a distinction one wants).

Again, not saying he was that great a candidate or that he didn't have issues, but he wasn't a total disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom