• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Official May 6th Primary Thread (All I need is a Hirracle, all I need is you)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Xeke said:
Because it is racist towards white males?
In the end, any program to actively correct legacies of racial segregation and discrimination is going to work on race, overtly or not. Otherwise, it's a Don't Ask Don't Tell form of Separate But Equal.

Besides, I guess it's racist to consider the historical fact that a while male has filled the role of the last 43 presidents.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
But this isn’t 2004, and the fixation on that one demographic in the Clinton-Obama contest has obscured the big picture. The rise in black voters and young voters of all races in Democratic primaries is re-weighting the electorate. Look, for instance, at Ohio, the crucial swing state that Mr. Kerry lost by 119,000 votes four years ago. This year black voters accounted for 18 percent of the state’s Democratic primary voters, up from 14 percent in 2004, an increase of some 230,000 voters out of an overall turnout leap of roughly a million. Voters under 30 (up by some 245,000 voters) accounted for 16 percent, up from 9 in 2004. Those younger Ohio voters even showed up in larger numbers than the perennially reliable over-65 crowd.

So, why exactly are we still pretending that the 65 and older vote is the holy grail of all votes that a candidate needs to capture in his favor?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
no strong liberal pundits? CNN's cadre of Begala, Carville (at least pre-2008) and Brazile have been around for quite some time.

Cheebs

scorcho said:
no strong liberal pundits? CNN's cadre of Begala, Carville (at least pre-2008) and Brazile have been around for quite some time.
Carville and Begala are democrats, not liberals. They are of the moderate DLC mode.

reilo said:
CNN is in the middle?

REALLLY?
God bless America and Keith!

Because until he came along, the media had lost me. I still don't like Matthews. Cnn has hired all these right wing shills, and seems to blather on about Brittany spears way too much these days. But Keith is a weekday night habit for me. I don't want the media to be left and right, but as long as fox is around and cnn has lost its mind, then MSNBC is my only hope.

reilo

Deus Ex Machina said:
God bless America and Keith!

Because until he came along, the media had lost me. I still don't like Matthews. Cnn has hired all these right wing shills, and seems to blather on about Brittany spears way too much these days. But Keith is a weekday night habit for me. I don't want the media to be left and right, but as long as fox is around and cnn has lost its mind, then MSNBC is my only hope.

The thing about Olbermann that attracts me is his hilarious wit and ability to capture the absurdity of politics in a punchline much like Jon Stewart.

And when he needs to be, or chooses to be, Keith can be dead serious and bring you back around to remind you that politics and the things our elected officials do is not a joke, but a dead serious matter.

Rur0ni

051108DailyUpdateGraph1_h7b5c1.gif

reilo

Rur0ni said:

The comeback kid.

Risin' up, back on the street
Did my time, took my chances
Went the distance, now I'm back on my feet
Just a man and his will to survive

So many times, it happens too fast
You change your passion for glory
Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive

It's the eye of the tiger, it's the cream of the fight
Risin' up to the challenge of our rival
And the last known survivor stalks his prey in the night
And he's watchin' us all in the eye of the tiger

Face to face, out in the heat
Hangin' tough, stayin' hungry
They stack the odds 'til we take to the street
For we kill with the skill to survive

Risin' up, straight to the top
Have the guts, got the glory
Went the distance, now I'm not gonna stop
Just a man and his will to survive

reilo said:
The thing about Olbermann that attracts me is his hilarious wit and ability to capture the absurdity of politics in a punchline much like Jon Stewart.

And when he needs to be, or chooses to be, Keith can be dead serious and bring you back around to remind you that politics and the things our elected officials do is not a joke, but a dead serious matter.

Rachel Maddow show is what MSNBC needs to do now.. delete that Gregory show.

I think she could get more ratings.

Zeed said:
In all seriousness Liara is one of the most hateful people I've seen on GAF. I wouldn't necessarily go so far as to call her a racist, but she's singleminded in her approach to any remotely racial issue and vulgar towards anyone who disagrees with her.

You're trying to argue with people that honestly think that a race-based AA (Which gives even middle-class and upper-class black citizens an advantage over others) is better than the much needed socioeconomic AA. Logic isn't their strong suit and utilizing it against them will yield no results.

You have to be full of anger and vitriol to be that detached from reality.

Women's Voices Women Vote is at it again! In West Virginia

Secretary of State says mass mailing has caused confusion

The Secretary of State's office is reminding first-time voters that the deadline to register to vote in Tuesday's primary already has passed.

Betty Ireland said she's worried that a mass mailing aimed at getting young women in West Virginia to register to vote might cause confusion.

A group called "Women's Voices. Women Vote" sent out more than 16,000 mailers to unmarried women in the state after April 22, the last day to register in time to vote Tuesday.

People who've never voted can still register, but they won't be eligible to cast a ballot in the primary.

http://www.dailymail.com/News/election08/200805090050

NAACP should have asked for some kind of cease and desist order in Federal court -- or whatever the heck order would get these people to suspend until after the primaries.

Tamanon

Banned
Terry McAulliffe said that Russert's dad was dead on Meet The Press.:lol

I guess that's just another sign of how much warping he has to do to reach his points.

reilo

Deus Ex Machina said:
Women's Voices Women Vote is at it again! In West Virginia

http://www.dailymail.com/News/election08/200805090050

NAACP should have asked for some kind of cease and desist order in Federal court -- or whatever the heck order would get these people to suspend until after the primaries.

Wait, don't tell me they are doing this in order to stir up controversy so that they can proclaim that single females were turned away from the ballots on election day?

numble

Tamanon said:
Unfortunately not.

Tamanon said:
I thought he was talking about becoming an Obama fellow volunteer. They are not accepting non-citizens.

There was a Canadian running to be an MP (and his friends/supporters?) volunteering out of where I was in Pennsylvania (the local news did a story on them) and I believe there's an Ethiopian man volunteering out of the office I'm at in Oregon.

I think the rule is that you can't be a foreigner to donate money to the campaign. I think the Obama campaign adds some extra rules for lobbyists that want to donate/volunteer though.

Edit: I will check with the regional director here and try to get some clarification.

Edit 2: Just asked an Obama staffer and she said "In fact, since they can't vote, we encourage them to volunteer."

Obama table in Madison: May 10 Edition (fourth one in 2008)

It was the fourth Farmers Market Obama table for this year and was a sunny spring day with lots of people from all over the globe walking along and choosing from all kinds of locally grown, baked, crafted and political flavors. The Obama table is one feature to many at what the New York Times mentioned "The Dane County Farmers' Market in Wisconsin is now recognized as the largest in the nation, and is still growing."

FM051008-01.jpg

Finally we had some decent weather. Still coats and sweaters on most people, but spring is scratching away at Old Man Winter here. Soon it will be June and hot summer weather. The weather was great because it was going to be a very busy day with the hundreds of people stopping by for Obama buttons, bumper stickers, rally signs and to sign up for emails.

The Obama table was set up by 8AM and there was just incredible support from people who were very enthused by how Obama was very much going to be the nominee. We went through 150+ bumper stickers and even more buttons and stickers. There were quite a few people who stopped by who said they had been making road trips to states like North Carolina, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Texas and were heading to states that still were to vote to help out. I continue to be absolutely amazed and proud of people that are that inspired and enthusiastic to really follow the grassroots path and do what they can.

Quite a few people took photos of the booth this week with the tulips in full bloom and a few people looked shocked that the Weekly War Scorecard, which is posted to remind people of the war and its costliness on many levels. It's always amazing how little people know of how much it costs as well as how many people have died.

FM051008-02.jpg

There was an additional official Obama event nearby us getting people mobilized to be able to register people to vote. It was a fantastic effort that was very successful and made it really feel like the Obama message was fully in motion. From an email report this morning: "We had over 100 people attend the rally, 50+ new registered voter deputies, 45 newly registered voters". I had some people helping with the Obama table, so I headed over to take photos and videotape the event (which will be on YouTube shortly) as well just see how the event, which was organized this past week, was going along.

FM051008-03.jpg

Someone had constructed wooden signs that said "Yes We Can" and put them out. I didn't get to find out who made those signs, but heard that those signs were used in Iowa and other states for various rallies.

FM051008-04.jpg

As the rally was gathering, a lot of people were showing up to see about how they could register people to vote as well as find out what they could do to help out the Obama campaign. There will probably be an official Obama office later this summer that people will be able to get more involved.

FM051008-06.jpg

Right now, people can go to the Obama table or go online and find out what to do... lots of summer festivals are coming up where visibility is essential for the large crowds.

FM051008-05.jpg

There was a good crowd that was watching the speakers at the rally, which included Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz (otherwise known just as Mayor Dave), Zach Brandon and Vicky Selkove, an Obama staffer.

FM051008-07.jpg

You can see the Mayor addressing the crowd, who were very happy to see him out there supporting Obama as well as spreading the message to get as many people registered to vote as possible.

FM051008-08.jpg

The crowd was really a great bunch of people of all stripes and backgrounds, as is the case with every Obama rally I have ever been to.

FM051008-09.jpg

After the rally ended, I headed back to the Obama table, which now was down to a few buttons and stickers and a dozen pages of new names to add to the email list.

FM051008-10.jpg

The enthusiasm continued even after we were calling it a day with people so happy to see fellow Obama fans out there in the streets. There were quite a few Hillary Clinton supporters who were warming up to having Obama as the nominee and even a few that were going to put an Obama bumper sticker on their car. And as always, a decent number of Republicans stopped by to say they were going to become Democrats and were big Obama fans.

It's looking great for the Obama supporters and campaign as we enter the new phase to take on John McCain and make it to the White House!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

syllogism

Hey he got a super today after all

http://thepage.time.com/obama-release-on-obama-endorsement/

CHICAGO, IL – Today, Young Democrats of America Board Member and Former California Young Democrats President Crystal Strait pledged to vote for Barack Obama for president. Strait is a superdelegate and Democratic National Committee Member from California. Strait is the 276th superdelegate to endorse Obama. Obama is 155 delegates away from securing the Democratic nomination.

terrene

Banned
I think that's should at least tie it up in all the superdel estimates. (CNN has been a holdout in calling Obama's superdel number a lead.)

Artie

reilo said:
After the Dodgers come the Packers (adopted passion from my late father). I was a Packer fan when it wasn't cool; I'll never forget my first Packer game; It was against the Dolphins in '78… some rookie WR named James Lofton scored the only Packer points. Most searing memory of that game? Some bald Packer fan who had painted his head to look like a helmet; as a 6yo, I thought that was the coolest thing I'd ever seen.

I thought it was impossible to love Chuck Todd Wizard any more than I already did. I guess I was wrong. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom