• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Francis condemns children being taught about transgender choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
"Today, children are taught this at school: that everyone can choose their own sex."

"And why do they teach this? Because the books come from those people and institutions who give money."

Pope Francis added that he had discussed the matter with his predecessor, Pope Benedict, who still lives at the Vatican and described it as “the epoch of sin against God the Creator”.

more anti-transgender language at the link. perhaps the next pope will be more progressive.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...hoice-as-an-annihilation-of-man-a3310646.html

Ovek

7Member7
To be fair what exactly did you think the Pope of all people would have said about transgender people.

azyless

Not surprising from him but people will still sing his praise next time he says something super progressive like "we shouldn't murder gays".

obin_gam

The funny thing is that they had a trans-pope way back when...

although it is only a legend. but whatevs

OnPoint

Sheesh. That's... really pretty awful to say.

Not surprising from him but people will still sing his praise next time he says something super progressive like "we shouldn't murder gays".

Sadly, for some, that is progressive. I'm not defending the outdated thinking the church commonly supports, but continual baby steps will eventually carry them closer to an actual "love one another" place.

EmiPrime

Count on it. The way some fawn over him and whitewash his homophobia and transphobia is pathetic.

Dryk

If God doesn't want people having transgender experiences maybe he should pay more attention when creating them

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
"Today, children are taught this at school: that everyone can choose their own sex."

"And why do they teach this? Because the books come from those people and institutions who give money."

Yes, I'm sure the Catholic Church doesn't spend vast sums trying to influence what children read in textbooks. No sir.

A solemn reminder of how ill equipped most leaders are in these subjects, but nevertheless feel they must contribute to because of their political capital.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
"Old white people in Europe talk to God."

I don't care how nicely you package this myth, I don't care how many liberal gestures the current face of this institution makes.

It's an utter farce. Grow up humanity. This is a cult.

Grug

Lol. At least these books were written this millenium.

the sole idea of thinking the pope has actual power in some people makes me laugh

learned to not take that person seriously

it's an old dude, using a robe, speaking nonsense, does that sound crazy? yes it does, but he has gold and people kissing his feet..

Venfayth

To think that transgender people choose their gender is to completely misunderstand what being transgender is. It's not as though transgender people chose to have gender dysphoria.

DedValve

Banned
Isn't gender not a choice though? Aren't people with dysforia born with the gender they are except it doesn't match their sex?

I might be confused on this but don't trans people not "choose" gender but simply choose to change their sex to match their gender. So sex being a choice but gender no?

I admit I'm woefully ignorant on this matter. Anyone who is transgendered could help me understand that'd be so great.

azyless

The thing is you can hold both opinions of him.
What opinions ? He's not progressive in any way, his views on LGBT and women issues are still the same old bullshit wrapped up in a slightly better PR package.

Sadly, for some, that is progressive. I'm not defending the outdated thinking the church commonly supports, but continual baby steps will eventually carry them closer to an actual "love one another" place.
Sure, baby steps are better than nothing, but I'm personally not going to celebrate someone for "baby steps" that should have been taken decades ago.

Dryk

Isn't gender not a choice though? Aren't people with dysforia born with the gender they are except it doesn't match their sex?

I might be confused on this but don't trans people not "choose" gender but simply choose to change their sex to match their gender. So sex being a choice but gender no?

I admit I'm woefully ignorant on this matter. Anyone who is transgendered could help me understand that'd be so great.
Essentially yes. But lots of people don't accept that this is a real thing that happens, despite the literature.

jediyoshi

Sure, baby steps are better than nothing, but I'm personally not going to celebrate someone for "baby steps" that should have been taken decades ago.

I'm not sure how you reconcile the former with the latter. You artificially designed a response to something no one is asking of you just to disagree with it.

E92 M3

he's a piece of shit

I'm not a Catholic, but he's obviously not a piece of shit and done more good for the world than you, I bet. Just because we don't agree with him, doesn't make him a piece of shit.

Certain things he can't talk about.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
What opinions ? He's not progressive in any way, his views on LGBT and women issues are still the same old bullshit wrapped up in a slightly better PR package.

He is actually looking into female deacons. I think we had a topic on it like a day ago. Its not a given of course and I'm sure there will be a lot of push back from the more hardline conservative sections still in the Church but that would be fairly huge. Letting priests actually get married would be another big step in normalizing things in the church.

OnPoint

I agree with you and am not arguing against this at all. The Catholic Church has been decades behind in terms of acceptance of basic human rights for probably as long as its existed.

Stop looking towards religious figures to teach you anything. (Rev. William Barber is kind of dope though)

Archbishop Desmond Tutu is a religious leader with a good track record of supporting LGBT rights. Even as an atheist I often find myself curious enough to look at his input on things.

I'm not a Catholic, but he's obviously not a piece of shit and done more good for the world than you, I bet. Just because we don't agree with him, doesn't make him a piece of shit.

Certain things he can't talk about.
Ehhhhhhhhh nah

catholicism is pretty sketchy. "Internally" dealing with pedophilia. Keeping poor families poor by banning them from using contraception thus encouraging them to have more children than they can support. Taking donations to fund ornate, privileged buildings right next to slums.

azyless

I'm not sure how you reconcile the former with the latter. You artificially designed a response to something no one is asking of you just to disagree with it.
What ? I'm saying the whole "#BESTPOPE" thing is way overblown and celebrating someone for doing the absolute minimum he should do is wrong.

He is actually looking into female deacons. I think we had a topic on it like a day ago. Its not a given of course and I'm sure there will be a lot of push back from the more hardline conservative sections still in the Church but that would be fairly huge. Letting priests actually get married would be another big step in normalizing things in the church.
Good. He's also actively and vocally working against abortion rights and same-sex marriage, protecting church figures from child rape accusations, etc.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Can't wait for this cult to adopt the gender equality standards of the wider culture of half a century ago. It might allow them to adapt and survive in the modern world and perpetuate themselves into the future, which will be just "great"..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom