• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Francis condemns children being taught about transgender choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

I'm not a Catholic, but he's obviously not a piece of shit and done more good for the world than you, I bet. Just because we don't agree with him, doesn't make him a piece of shit.

Certain things he can't talk about.

By virtue of being Pope he has probably also done more bad for the world too. For instance he is currently protecting an Australian cardinal from facing accusations over child abuse.

Alavard

I'm not a Catholic, but he's obviously not a piece of shit and done more good for the world than you, I bet. Just because we don't agree with him, doesn't make him a piece of shit.

Sorry, but no. I don't believe doing good things buys you credit you can use to get away with saying terrible things.

jay

Yes, pope, follow the money. The big transgender lobbyists don't want you to know they control Washington.

Why does it even matter if it's a choice or not? I've always found it an absurd argument against anything LGBT related.

It's a bad, apologetic argument. It's not your life or business, go fuck yourself is a much better argument.

Pope Francis added that he had discussed the matter with his predecessor, Pope Benedict, who still lives at the Vatican and described it as “the epoch of sin against God the Creator”.

Damn, Benedict still living a Pope life, without the disavantages of a Pope life.

I don't get this lingering obsession with the Pope's stances on issues like this...

Why are you looking to the leader of Catholicism to stand up for this, why would you expect that? Why would you be disappointed if he let you down by like, being all Catholic about it.

turmoil

Banned
Here in Argentina if he farts all the major newspapers and politicians line up to praise his asshole for giving an eloquent speech.

Curiously nobody has reported this so far.

Linkark07

Banned
more anti-transgender language at the link. perhaps the next pope will be more progressive.
This is the most progressive pope the catholic church will get. Doubt his successor of the next ones will try to do the things this one has done.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Good. He's also actively and vocally working against abortion rights and same-sex marriage, protecting church figures from child rape accusations, etc.

Did I say he wasn't? My point is he still and old white Catholic Man from South America that holds some ignorant views that are reinforced by Church Dogma but he is trying to bring some change to a huge, monolithic organization that is not used to change.

thefro

I don't get this lingering obsession with the Pope's stances on issues like this...

Why are you looking to the leader of Catholicism to stand up for this, why would you expect that? Why would you be disappointed if he let you down by like, being all Catholic about it.

I think some people have the impression that the Pope can do whatever he wants and just makes stuff up without having to justify it. There's centuries of theology behind what he said.

Anyway, there's a big difference between saying "this is a sin" and "countries should outlaw this". Nobody gets freaked out when the Pope says divorce or adultery is a sin.

azyless

Did I say he wasn't? My point is he still and old white Catholic Man from South America that holds some ignorant views that are reinforced by Church Dogma but he is trying to bring some change to a huge, monolithic organization that is not used to change.
No you didn't I was just expanding. In the end people will do what they want but I personally am done excusing this behavior, nevermind celebrating it. I think his progresiveness and the amount of changes he wants to bring are way overblown and I'm just tired of it.

being an awful person is part of his job description.

Oh, fuck off. Love how people are now going to rip into him and trash him to no end, even while he's spend almost all his time as Pope enraging the right wing by adapting more progressive and liberal views about almost everything. No, he's not an awful person, he's proven already that he's quite a commendable human being that actually cares about humanity, especially the less fortunate. I'm not Christian, but it's clear to me that it's night and day between him and the previous Pope.

It's not a choice. That's the point, dingus.

Well, there's many children that fall in a grey area and don't know what sex they are.
The experts are saying not too rush anything and let time sort it out.

There are a large numbers of conditions that can affect sexual identity and the choice is of course how you deal with it.

Some people are afraid of spiders. Some are afraid of mice. Some are afraid of snakes.
Would it be a good idea to bring all those things to a grade 2 class and let the kids play with them? Not every parents would agree.

There was a guy in high school that was hanging up with the girls, presumably discussing girl stuff. I don't know that it bothered anyone. I wonder if he would have liked to be singled out in sex ed classes.

Yeah and he is a dick for that. I meant that the actual "epoch of sin" was said by that nazi pope.

Doesn't matter really...agreeing with it is just as bad.

I hate Ratzinger but can we start becoming more imaginative than calling any german we dislike a nazi?

Oh, fuck off. Love how people are now going to rip into him and trash him to no end, even while he's spend almost all his time as Pope enraging the right wing by adapting more progressive and liberal views about almost everything. No, he's not an awful person, he's proven already that he's quite a commendable human being that actually cares about humanity, especially the less fortunate. I'm not Christian, but it's clear to me that it's night and day between him and the previous Pope.

get outta here he condones children being hit even thinks its commendabek

siren.gif

That's bad pope. Fuck you up.

Venfayth

Well, there's many children that fall in a grey area and don't know what sex they are.
The experts are saying not too rush anything and let time sort it out.

There are a large numbers of conditions that can affect sexual identity and the choice is of course how you deal with it.

Some people are afraid of spiders. Some are afraid of mice. Some are afraid of snakes.
Would it be a good idea to bring all those things to a grade 2 class and let the kids play with them? Not every parents would agree.

There was a guy in high school that was hanging up with the girls, presumably discussing girl stuff. I don't know that it bothered anyone. I wonder if he would have liked to be singled out in sex ed classes.

You're conflating sex and gender a lot. They're not the same thing and you shouldn't use the terms interchangeably.

You're also broaching the topic I think that frightens a lot of people: allowing children to play a role in their diagnosis of being transgender or not. When is the "right time"? You used the phrase "let time sort it out" which is hard to do in some cases. Gender dysphoria isn't something that's cured by time, and I've heard transgender folks say they knew that they knew from an early age. It's also a topic I don't know much about, so I won't speak much more about it personally.

azyless

He did say atheists and gays can go to heaven, which isn't a very Catholic thing to say.
No he didn't, he was misunderstood about atheists :

Later on in a radio message, the Pope said "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! 'Father, the atheists?' Even the atheists. Everyone!"

The United Kingdom publication the Independent stated that "Pope Francis assures atheists: You don't have to believe in God to go to heaven" and the Huffington Post reported "Pope Francis Says Atheists Who Do Good Are Redeemed, Not Just Catholics."

However, as Catholic writers noted, the interpretation of the pontiff's remarks may have been a bit off, namely that being redeemed and being saved are two different things.

"Pope Francis did not say that an atheist who does naturally good things can be saved if he dies an atheist," wrote Brian Kelly of Catholicism.org.

"The Pope… simply reminded the faithful that there can be, and is, goodness, or natural virtue, outside the Church. And that Christ's death on the Cross redeemed all men. He paid the price so that every man could come to God and be saved."

and the best thing he's ever said about gays is basically "they're sinners but god will be the one to judge them".

bionic77

Are kids actually being taught this in school?

I live in PA and I am unaware of elementary children being taught this.

Cagey

Banned

This is the internet. It's more important for being a good person to have a flawless record of statements on all issues and do nothing positive than to have a mixed record of statements and do plenty positive on some issues. Hell, there's no spectrum of good to bad; it's just seen as binary: perfect on all, no action required, or you're shit.

It's not even "slacktivism" because that word implies the lazy critique is part of some activity. Slacktimony feels like a more accurate portmanteau.

azyless

Are kids actually being taught this in school?

I live in PA and I am unaware of elementary children being taught this.
In France there's been talks on including the concept of gender in schools via children books, etc. I don't know if it's actually been done or not, I'd have to ask my mom about it. I doubt it though since I heard scandalized parents forced the scool to cancel an event (a children's book fair of some sort) simply because some of those books were present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom