• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Francis demotes highest ranking American in the Vatican

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
...to a pretty much almost insignificant position.

Cardinal Raymond Burke was the Vatican's highest ranking American

Pope Francis has demoted a conservative American cardinal who has criticized his leadership of the Catholic Church.

The pontiff removed Cardinal Raymond Burke as the leader of the Vatican’s highest court and appointed him to a ceremonial position as chaplain of the Knights of Malta, a charity group, according to a press bulletin issued Saturday.

That is a significant demotion, according to the National Catholic Reporter. “The position of Patron of the the Order of Malta is usually given to a retired cardinal, or as a second task to an active cardinal,” Michael Sean Winters writes. “It has almost no responsibilities.”

The move was not a surprise, as Burke, the Vatican’s highest ranking American, had said last month that he was going to have a new post.

The outspoken, conservative bishop — who pushed for the Vatican to revise and water-down its recent, tentative step toward greater acceptance of LGBT people — has butted heads with the pope since the Argentine was elected last year. Last month, he compared Pope Francis’ leadership to “a ship without a rudder” during an interview with a Spanish magazine.

http://time.com/3574166/pope-francis-demotes-cardinal-raymond-burke/

Don't cross (heh, get it?) the boss.

Demote me to a GAF ceremonial position if old.

massoluk

Banned
New news, but it is his second demotion actually. Well deserved, he is likely part of the reason US has beeb swinging very right.

Pope Francis is so cool that I might start attending church again.

Nah... I'll probably just read my Spider-man comics instead. Now that's a real savior.

Seth C

Why s a Cardinal questioning the Pope? According to their very religion, the Pope is the mouthpiece of God here on earth. What he says is supposedly infallible. So uh, you know?

Dai101

Banned
Sounds sweet. A job on the island of Malta with no responsibilities.

"Malta was ranked number five in the World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems, compared to the United States (at 37)"

"Malta allows civil unions, following the enactment of the Civil Unions Bill, first introduced in September 2013. It grants civil unions the same rights, responsibilities, and obligations as marriage, including the right of joint adoption"

I bet this guy will feel like he is in Hell.

"Malta was ranked number five in the World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems, compared to the United States (at 37)"

"Malta allows civil unions, following the enactment of the Civil Unions Bill, first introduced in September 2013. It grants civil unions the same rights, responsibilities, and obligations as marriage, including the right of joint adoption"

I bet this guy will feel like he is in Hell.

AHAHAHAHA! Such sweet, delicious justice. I imagine the cardinal walking through the streets like Cartman in San Francisco.

6a00d8341c630a53ef0134808b7f8f970c-600wi

Very click bait title. Should have just said kicked old crotchety conservative bishop out of power. Him being American has nothing to do with it.

Why s a Cardinal questioning the Pope? According to their very religion, the Pope is the mouthpiece of God here on earth. What he says is supposedly infallible. So uh, you know?

My understanding is that papal infallibility only applies under certain circumstances. Like, the pope has to ceremoniously invoke it before it actually applies to his words. Otherwise, you'd get every Catholic having to support a specific soccer team or something.

Dai101

Banned
Him being American has nothing to do with it.

Except being white, bigot and conservative.

My understanding is that papal infallibility only applies under certain circumstances. Like, the pope has to ceremoniously invoke it before it actually applies to his words. Otherwise, you'd get every Catholic having to support a specific soccer team or something.

As i can remember, the Pope has infalibility when talking of anything about faith. Which is quite broad.

J10

Banned
The most amazing thing about this pope is that he maintains sky high approval ratings among Catholics. That should say good things about Catholics in general, right?

Pau

I thought it was just in regards to everything about religion.

I wouldn't be surprised if my Catholic education led me astray though. :p

Savitar

This pope before elected was said to be a person of the people and when it's said and done, he seems to back it up very well.

Hell I'd go as far to say he actually cares and wants people treating like you know........human beings.

Mr.Swag

Banned
The most amazing thing about this pope is that he maintains sky high approval ratings among Catholics. That should say good things about Catholics in general, right?
They agree with any Pope regardless of his policy's.
The position is like a god-king

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

Not true the last Pope wasn't liked much. Also the Pope position currently isn't a god king he is just a religious leader like every other religions religious leader. The world isn't Europe during the dark ages and the Pope no longer has that kind of power and influence.

acrid

Banned

Whoa, hold on there. I'm Catholic, and have had issue with past Popes. Pope Francis is the first Pope that I've had very similar points of view with, ie: big bang/evolution beliefs coexisting with creation, not turning away or hating homosexuals, etc.

antonz

While the story is new the actual actions are a few weeks old and were covered in the previous Francis thread.

Burke is a total asshole that would make most conservatives seem progressives. Dick Cheney has a bigger heart than he does. What got Burke in trouble was really what he said recently on Gay people. He suggested that even Families need to disown and make clear gay family members are not welcome etc even to family gatherings

There is absolutely nothing christ like in a suggestion like that and someone in his position should be espousing nothing of that sort. It has nothing to do with American conservatism or whatever people want to spout. It was a shitty belief espoused by someone not allowed to have a shitty belief.

Correct, the pope is not a "god king" as someone else said.

One pope in the 7th century, Honorius, was even posthumously anathematized by an ecumenical council (with the consent of the new pope) for allowing a heresy to be spread freely. So the definition of papal infallibility was purposely made very narrow to avoid being contradicted by history. Catholic theologians generally identify only 2-10 infallible decrees in the last 2000 years, depending on their exact interpretation of the doctrine.

Burke made those comments last month after admitting the rumors of his demotion were true, so he didn't have too much to lose by censoring his opinions at that point.

Francis has been making good news for the church lately in the secular press but i think some people in this thread will be disappointed in him. He's said multiple times, already he doesn't want to change any past doctrines, including in the interview with the "who am i to judge?" comment. (Link to interview - the question about a priest who was outed in the media appears at the end)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom