• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Francis demotes highest ranking American in the Vatican

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa, hold on there. I'm Catholic, and have had issue with past Popes. Pope Francis is the first Pope that I've had very similar points of view with, ie: big bang/evolution beliefs coexisting with creation, not turning away or hating homosexuals, etc.
The church has never been against the big bang or evolution. The big bang theory was proposed by a Catholic priest and the conservative pope Pius XII declared in 1950 that evolutionary origins of man were not contradictory to the faith (this was the first statement by a pope on evolution, it was never condemned before either). John Paul II remarked that evolution was "more than a theory".

Also John Paul II and Benedict both made statements against "unjust discrimination" against homosexuals starting in the 1980s, and watered down a conservative attempt to ban gays from becoming priests. Francis is basically continuing in that line right now and hasn't made any substantial changes (yet?).

It's interesting to see all the positivity toward Francis but I wonder how much is based on fact vs media presentation.

JohnChang

Banned
So strange this guy keeps making news

The history of this organization is ripe with violence, sexual abuse, subjugation of rights but a new guy comes in and says the right things, things people like to hear and all of sudden its different and we should trust this organization again...okay.

Its also one of the oldest and wealthiest corporations around so I guess it can hire the right people to market themselves better which is just public perception that things are changing but might actually not be (gross).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom