• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

I think you, or rather her management, should be more concerned with her DD than her radio airplay. Obviously radio is still very important, but when the consumer ain't buying your singles, well.. But anything can happen, maybe the song will explode at some point.

tbh I agree. But what's funny is that Your Body has been slowly creeping back up the iTunes charts this week. After its initial peak at #5, it slowly fell to a low of #53 a little over a week ago. Since then it jumped about 10 slots up into the forties a few days ago. Hit #36 yesterday, fell to #39 last night, but as of right now is at #38 with kworb.net showing a dark green update (meaning it's getting strong digital sales relative to the immediate competition). I still want to think that there's still bubbling potential with the song...although I'll admit that as the days go by it's becoming more and more wishful. ;__;

Also, "Live While We're Young" is doing initially well, but not for a group with the buzz One Direction is currently enjoying. I doubt Simon is content with it, but there has to be a reason they're holding off on aggressive promo. I think anybody releasing music right now knows that these are the songs that are going to have to hold through the Christmas season. I'd like to think (HOPE) that's the case with Your Body and the so-far pathetic promo schedule.

Bladenic

tbh I agree. But what's funny is that Your Body has been slowly creeping back up the iTunes charts this week. After its initial peak at #5, it slowly fell to a low of #53 a little over a week ago. Since then it jumped about 10 slots up into the forties a few days ago. Hit #36 yesterday, fell to #39 last night, but as of right now is at #38 with kworb.net showing a dark green update (meaning it's getting strong digital sales relative to the immediate competition). I still want to think that there's still bubbling potential with the song...although I'll admit that as they days go by it's becoming more and more wishful. ;__;

Also, "Live While We're Young" is doing initially well, but not for a group with the buzz One Direction is currently enjoying. I doubt Simon is content with it, but there has to be a reason they're holding off on aggressive promo.

Oh trust me I'd much rather Your Body be a hit than that heinous Wrong Direction song, but Xtina doesn't appeal to the pre-teens as much obviously.

Wait, the Girls Aloud single is SLAYING! Here for iT.

icq1fhgtk7grG.gif

BEYONCE WILL PERFORM AT THE SUPERBOWL

GET DAT MASSIVE PROMO BEY.

tumblr_m6szipLmVw1rxpbdvo1_500.gif

OMG! She'll be great, tbh.

You know Sis, I still want to believe. I mean, I haven't been following radio trends very long, so I don't know history or patterns or whatever; but from what I'm reading it seems like there's still something in store for the single. A lot of big stations still haven't even added the song to their playlists, and when a lot of stations do play it, it's on their "What's next" and "future smashes"-type countdowns.

I mean, just for comparison look at One Direction's lead single. It's performing similarly to Your Body (got an even bigger negative update today than Your Body did, actually), and for many of the same reasons: Outside of releasing the song and dropping the video the band hasn't really done much promo yet. And you really don't think Simon's going to let his biggest act since the Spice Girls go down like that, do you?

In fact, a lot of new singles are coming out and and doing the slow simmer.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're attempting to play the long game with Your Body. With the Holidays coming up soon, it's not like they can release a second single. Radio will be frozen. Your Body HAS to be the single that sustains her through this season, and I'm sure they know that. I think they're trying to have the single slowly build and peak closer to the holiday. I'd like to think that, anyway. ;_;

tl;dr - I'm not giving up yet.
RCA had a meeting a while back where they specified that longevity is what they're after. They pointed out Kelly's Stronger era as an example- first single Mr. Know it All lasted from September to January, second single Stronger lasted from January to May/June-ish, and then they sent out Dark Side, RIP. It may not be as exciting as sending out 3456765 singles with 3456765 corresponding music videos but it's probably more efficient (as long as the singles in question actually become hits).

xaosslug

I think you, or rather her management, should be more concerned with her DD than her radio airplay. Obviously radio is still very important, but when the consumer ain't buying your singles, well.. But anything can happen, maybe the song will explode at some point.

LOL, this isn't true. M5 had a MASSIVE hit on iTunes with Moves Like Jagger but that didn't really move their album, er, like Jagger. Same with Ke$ha and Rihrih - they can GET THEM singles sold on iTunes, but that hasn't translated to monster album sales? And then there is The Beaver who does lackluster album sales on a regular basis. Mumford & Sons bees SELLING them albums, but no massive hit singles.

you did try, tho.

isEMgrQJarslU.gif

Majmun

xaosslug said:
These things are not usually decided this early, and Bey just isn't big enough to headline it by herself. If she DOES do it (at all) she is likely only one artist out-of-many ala it will be RAP/hip-hop focused, and feat. Jay-Z, Kanye, Alicia, etc.

If Bey isn't big enough to headline, then who else is???

LOL, no one.

Even Madonna had Nicki, MIA and LMFAO on stage. A Beyonce headline would work. She had massive hits with Destiny's Child and massive hits as a solo artist.
She's fucking hot and is one of the best performers in the industry.

The crowd would eat it up.

Trigger

I guess I can understand RCA's approach, but there are moments when it doesn't seem like Xtina is taking this era seriously.

Bladenic

LOL, this isn't true. M5 had a MASSIVE on iTunes with Moves Like Jagger but that didn't really move their album, er, like Jagger. Same with Ke$ha and Rihrih - they can GET THEM singles sold on iTunes, but that hasn't translated to monster album sales? And then there is The Beaver who does lackluster album sales on a regular basis. Mumford & Sons bees SELLING them albums, but no massive hit singles.

you did try, tho.

isEMgrQJarslU.gif

tumblr_m3b8p3gMt91qeftwfo2_500.gif

err... I wouldn't bet on it. Is this the same source that alleged she was offered $100, 000, 000 to judge on X-Factor?
ib0hufmfj59uTm.gif
These things are not usually decided this early, and Bey just isn't big enough to headline it by herself. If she DOES do it (at all) she is likely only one artist out-of-many ala it will be RAP/hip-hop focused, and feat. Jay-Z, Kanye, Alicia, etc.

isEMgrQJarslU.gif

No, she absolutely can.
envy_taunt.gif

Bladenic

Why do people keep asking about Marina in the banner? She is a nobody, a non-existant entity that is only known by a select few who, like, frequent the Internet and discover unknown artists. She doesn't belong in the banner, not for quality (she's okay) nor for success. Some of the presence in the banner is already questionable, but most of the artists in the banner have at least one of the aforementioned aspects. Moorina has neither.

xaosslug

If Bey isn't big enough to headline, then who else is???

LOL, no one.

Even Madonna had Nicki, MIA and LMFAO on stage. A Beyonce headline would work. She had massive hits with Destiny's Child and massive hits as a solo artist.
She's fucking hot and is one of the best performers in the industry.

The crowd would eat it up.

um... no. It was MADONNA's show FEATURING those lessors - who all featured on HER songs. So let's not.

the fact is: if you cannot headline a really, really huge worldwide tour you are likely NEVER headlining the Superbowl Half-time show.
ibdMV3AeQMoI2o.gif
TBH, there's more of a chance Gaga (tho, I doubt it - middle America ain't ready! LOL) would headline than her, and I don't even think THAT will happen.

Trigger

Why do people keep asking about Marina in the banner? She is a nobody, a non-existant entity that is only known by a select few who, like, frequent the Internet and discover unknown artists. She doesn't belong in the banner, not for quality (she's okay) nor for success. Some of the presence in the banner is already questionable, but most of the artists in the banner have at least one of the aforementioned aspects. Moorina has neither.

irUYuAwz6DDhA.gif

Ynyxa.jpg

Official Track Listing:
1. Since U Been Gone
2. My Life Would Suck Without You
3. Miss Independent
4. Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)
5. Behind These Hazel Eyes
6. Because Of You
7. Never Again
8. Already Gone
9. Mr. Know It All
10. Breakaway
11. Don’t You Wanna Stay (with Jason Aldean)
12. Walk Away
13. Catch My Breath
14. People Like Us
15. Don’t Rush (featuring Vince Gill)
16. A Moment Like This
17. I’ll Be Home For Christmas

My thoughts:
- Horrid album cover, but how much can you really expect, tbh.
- I can't believe they put MLWSWY right after SUBG. Now everyone will be reminded how much of a basic knockoff it is.
- I'm so happy I Do Not Hook Up isn't on the tracklist.
- I'm so pressed Dark Side isn't on the tracklist.
- I'm wondering why Low isn't on the tracklist, but I don't really care either way.
- She's performing the Vince Gill duet at the CMAs and coming for some blonde weaves.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Well fuck..

It's happened.

I like a UK Aloud track.

Why are people shading Calvin? The beat for the song is ridiculous.

Brb going to listen to their albums

It's not even CH on the track it's production GODS Xenomania

I knew this day would come. Welcome sis, it's good to have you on the team.

Wait, the Girls Aloud single is SLAYING! Here for iT.

icq1fhgtk7grG.gif

Even I had my doubts sis. But they have pulled out every stop. SOMETHING NEW slays SO HARD.

Majmun

the fact is: if you cannot headline a really, really huge worldwide tour you are likely NEVER headlining the Superbowl Half-time show.
ibdMV3AeQMoI2o.gif

Beyonce headlined huge successful world* tours.

I'd say Beyonce, Mariah and Britney are the only current divas who could headline a superbowl.

*including Australia

royalan

um... no. It was MADONNA's show FEATURING those lessors - who all featured on HER songs. So let's not.

ibdMV3AeQMoI2o.gif
TBH, there's more of a chance Gaga (tho, I doubt it - middle America ain't ready! LOL) would headline than her, and I don't even think THAT will happen.

I sorta agree with xao-sis here.

I mean, there's no denying that Beyonce is a talented and decorated artist. But she's still somewhat young.

I've always considered the Halftime Show to be reserved for the old farts - i.e. the TRUE legends. Not just the stan legends. I don't know if Bey is at that level...yet.

I stand by what I posted in the Madonna Halftime Show thread oh-so-long ago...

I think it makes sense that they chose Madonna over Gaga for the halftime show.

People gotta remember, the Super Bowl appeals to more than just the pop tweens of today. It's the most watched television event in the US for all age groups. Gaga just doesn't have that appeal yet. Not a lot of young artists do. Older artists, on the other hand, can appeal to the younger set due to their legacy while also appealing to the older crowd who grew up with them. I love when they have older acts perform. Even if I'm not checking for them,I appreciate it as a big ol' slice of Americana. Just makes you feel good.

When you think about it, the Super Bowl Halftime Show is without a doubt the largest stage an artist can perform on in the US. A packed stadium of thousands, the entire country watching. That stage really should be treated more like the tremendous honor that it is (which is why I was pissed as hell that the BEP got the honor last year).

Madonna deserved to perform. Gaga doesn't...yet.

I'd say Beyonce, Mariah and Britney are the only current divas who could headline a superbowl.

*including Australia

No. Just...no. Britney at this stage in her life would be worse than the Black Eye Peas. And that's just true tea. She has completely lost her ability to put on a good show.

xaosslug

*including Australia

iEz355m3szmqY.gif

all I'mma say is I don't think it will happen unless it's a big compilation-of-featured-acts type of deal.

Trigger

I sorta agree with xao-sis here.

I mean, there's no denying that Beyonce is a talented and decorated artist. But she's still somewhat young.

I've always considered the Halftime Show to be reserved for the old farts - i.e. the TRUE legends. Not just the stan legends. I don't know if Bey is at that level...yet.

I stand by what I posted in the Madonna Halftime Show thread oh-so-long ago....

This sort of true, but then you have acts like No Doubt and BEP making it in to the Halftime Show.

Bladenic

Funny how not even us stans are trying to say that. And I wouldn't, for reasons I've already listed about other artists.

Fail tea. Nice try tho. *.*

I'm just trying to rile up xiaokaldskcnoacna since she takes everything about Xtina so seriously. Well you do too tho...

iKQLxgmNmyHmz.gif

Mau ®

Oh sis. If you notice I only BOLD the songs that have over 1M updates. Anything less than that is not worthy of commenting unless it has holds a SUSTAINED performance for an extended period of time, like with Demi Lovato's Give Your Heart a Break. Your Body so far shows more signs of a Marry The Night-style performance than a GYHAB performance.

You did try tho.

ib20VXdwgoEPd8.gif

Trigger

I'm not even sure what a new Britney song would sound like nonetheless a Demi collab. She looks so tired and uninterested on X-Factor.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
WE'RE THE LEADERS OF THE PACK

BOY YOU BETTER WATCH YOUR BACK

WE'RE THE LEADERS OF THE PACK

TELL ME CAN YOU HANDLE THAT

iyjIEHlZO72TM.gif

I've listened to it about 200 times now.

Your faves would be doing well to have this many amazing songs on an entire album, let alone on a single track.

ibbH31eWkQMMl7.gif

Just tell me when the tour tickets are on sale Gods, I don't even care about the cost.

Mau ®

Is anybody going to comment on how SAVIOR SWIFT has 3 songs in the TOP 10 of itunes (two on the top spot)? Or are they too pressed by her SLAYAGE over all lessers?

It's been made clear the RED era will destroy your faves. She has anhilited ADELE. There's no hope for your faves tbh.

tumblr_mbwizkLY2w1rdfw29o2_250.gif

Trigger

Is anybody going to comment on how SAVIOR SWIFT has 3 songs in the TOP 10 of itunes (two on the top spot)? Or are they too pressed by her SLAYAGE over all lessers?

It's been made clear the RED era will destroy your faves. She has anhilited ADELE. There's no hope for your faves tbh.

I'm happy for T-Swizzles.

6ds1g.gif

Artemisia

Banned

State of Grace
#1 United States
#1 Canada
#3 Philippines
#3 Singapore
#4 Malaysia
#4 Thailand
#5 Mexico
#7 Hong Kong
#13 Norway
#14 Brazil
#19 New Zealand
#22 Ireland
#34 Spain
#42 Taiwan
#51 Argentina

Local bitches represent

Can you IMAGINE how much RED will sell worldwide in a week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom