• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Potato Masher (console-level used PC) vs PS4/PS4 Pro in Watch_Dogs 2

Hux1ey

Banned
The problem is the answer falls somewhere in the middle. Is PC gaming more affordable than the high end super computers? Yes of course.

Do consoles on average appear to be cheaper with less work needed to make the prices comparable? No doubt about it.

These videos still come across like recruitment videos. A $375 PC that I can't find the parts at that price for now to a system that has been as low as 239.99 seems fairly off.
Recruitment videos????? Absolutely nuts.

Herola

Neo Member
Recruitment videos????? Absolutely nuts.

You are taking the word recruitment way deeper than it is obviously meant, but that is ok.

I am simply saying it goes out of its way to prop up PC gaming.

Does that read better for you?

These videos seems like PC recruitment videos.

And what's wrong if it is. It's not like there aren't console recruitment videos out there.

Heck, you can even find them on TV as advertisement. Is there even PC ads on TV?

Do you feel uncomfortable that such video exist?

oSoLucky

Yup, so little of us actually own top end rigs. Most i know game on 1060's/480's or below. Heck I've been using the same CPU since 2012, yet according to many pc hardware lasts a couple of years max

It's better to just ignore that type of willful ignorance to start with. The ones spouting that will likely never be interested in anything but certain brands anyway so it's better to just not get in a back and forth with them.

My 2600k(from 2011) started dying last year and I replaced it with a 6800k. I had to replace my GTX580 with a 780Ti when it shit the bed in 2014 and it still runs most games at 70+ on my 1440p monitor. Couple years max my ass. One of my friends just upgraded his GTX480 only because of Nvidia's bs planned obsolescence so he literally had to manually find drivers to be able to play some games.

I think that ignorant perception comes from the small community of PC warriors that act like any rig below the top of the line is worthless, but those guys also shit on people with lesser PCs(and there's very little of that on GAF to start).

It's about time for me to done with this thread. I still disagree with the premise of the videos.

nynt9

You are taking the word recruitment way deeper than it is obviously meant, but that is ok.

Considering console makers spend millions of dollars making videos to prop up console gaming (and surely fans make many videos as well), why is this a problem? You can easily go out there and find way stupider videos on either side of the fence, at least these videos are informative.

Planet

A stranger on the street just sold me a used i7 7700K with a 1080ti for €1 and it beats the crap out of the consoles 200 times that price and more!

Herola

Neo Member
And what's wrong if it is. It's not like there aren't console recruitment videos out there.

Heck, you can even find them on TV as advertisement. Is there even PC ads on TV?

Do you feel uncomfortable that such video exist?

No actually it's fine not once in my post did I say the videos shouldn't exist or bother me. Nice try though I simply posted a response to the video that doesn't sing the idea or videos praises.

I am glad multiple forms of gaming exist, justsee this type of stuff on GAF and it makes me laugh. (Same as the PC gaming cost $1500 to start post would.)

FinalAres

Realistically you can make a really quite decent PC for $500. In fact a couple of years ago I made one which (based on current information) still beats the Scorpio for £450 (and that's in the UK where parts are expensive!).

That's the middle ground. You cannot realistically build a PC that is better than a PS4 for the same cost, but you can get a PC that will beat it for years to come for only $100-150 extra.

Planet

In fact a couple of years ago I made one which (based on current information) still beats the Scorpio for £450
That's a keeper for the lulz. We literally have not seen what the Scorpio can do.

Just adding some numbers of the parts you do understand doesn't account for the actual performance of a complete console system. If it did, games like Horizon Zero Dawn or Uncharted 4 couldn't exist.

nOoblet16

With temporal Filtering, yeah, it'd run at about 10fps otherwise
This post makes no sense, and I'll tell you why. Firstly, it's 1080P temporal reconstruction (specifically CBR) not filtering, those are two different things. But more importantly you say that if it wasn't using checkerboarding it would drop performance by 60-66% or so which is wrong because the performance advantage is more in line with a 25-30% boost (based on examples of performance in PC games that allow you to use reconstruction). Considering Watch Dogs 1 was straight up 900P on PS4 I am sure the same can be achieved without any reconstruction for Watch Dogs 2 and the performance difference between 900P and 1080P are more in line to the performance difference between 1080P CBR and 1080P.

Secondly, the post you were replying to was talking about CPU as in how a tablet CPU can handle 30FPS fine when the PC with an i5 has issues. To which you reply that it's because they use a lower resolution. This is wrong as well because if the game is CPU bound then reducing the resolution won't really bump up the framerate as that is related to the GPU. My point being the entire reason it is doing checkerboard 1080P is because it's GPU bound, it doing checkerboarding has little to do with the fact that the Jaguar CPUs are weak thereby affirming the original post that you replied to that somehow the tablet CPUs are able to donor by an i5 is having issues.

The fanboyism here is blatant and pretty embarrassing

Yes, you can build a masher like that. You don't have to browse eBay for hours looking for parts (talk about a fucking exaggeration lol), but even with new parts you can build a masher for pretty close to $400

The point that has been explained to you several times over but you conveniently gloss over is that this isn't about saying what's more powerful for $400. It's about showing what $400 can get you in the PC realm. For those interested in a PC, but at console prices

(Ps I built my pc back in like 2012 for $400. Had a hard cap of $400 and got a pretty capable PC. I'm still using that PC today, with a RAM and GPU upgrade. RAM cost me $20, the GPU was free)

Edit: and before someone tries to say that I'm a "PC fanboy" I own both a PC and PS4. But I haven't even played anything on my PC since late last year because I've been preoccupied with Horizon and UC4. (And BOTW)

What's the point of doing a comparison with consoles then? Might as well just show the 400 dollar pc performnce instead of doing a clickbait comparison video.

Mihos

Gold Member

I
Every single ad, E3, gdc, etc could be concidered a recruitment video by your definition. PC gaming hardly needs to be 'propped up'.

00ich

A stranger on the street just sold me a used i7 7700K with a 1080ti for €1 and it beats the crap out of the consoles 200 times that price and more!

The 1€ is the parts price not it's value. The potato masher is about a 350$ value of PC parts.

Kysen

These threads keep popping up and people keep on buying consoles by the truck load. Buying a budget PC is a stupid idea in the long run. Go mid range or buy a console.

Planet

The 1€ is the parts price not it's value.
No, the €1 was for the sarcasm, the PC parts were free
ly imagined.
The potato masher is about a 350$ value of PC parts.
I can buy a used PS4 for €110. It includes a controller that costs at least €30 used. Now come again with that €80 PC?

Not that I would ever buy a used PC or console...

FinalAres

That's a keeper for the lulz. We literally have not seen what the Scorpio can do.

Just adding some numbers of the parts you do understand doesn't account for the actual performance of a complete console system. If it did, games like Horizon Zero Dawn or Uncharted 4 couldn't exist.

Oh hello there defensive, nice to meet you:)

I'm actually understating here. Let me make it clearer. For £450 ($550) I was able to make a system easily more powerful than the Scorpio could possibly be based on known specs, and at a small form factor too. Not to say there won't be some games like HZD which will be able to look incredible, but 99% of games will look better on the system I have than on a Scorpio.

Because I paid extra.

If you want value for money get a console, because Pc doesn't give that. And there's a couple of exclusive games that look as good as anything on pc.

If you want something more powerful, or future proofed, then consoles don't offer that. But the cost is...the cost.

Tecnniqe

Banned
It's sad to see that GAF still isn't mature enough to handle simple tech price comparisons and looks without going for full bingo with missing the entire point and calling it recruitment videos but then again the majority here are console users so there's bound to be more brandboys around and about.

On a more positive note, thanks OP, love these kind of things.

What's the point of doing a comparison with consoles then? Might as well just show the 400 dollar pc performnce instead of doing a clickbait comparison video.

The console is used as a frame of reference for image quality and performance. It's how they can determine if the PC is losing ground as the years go by.

deoee

It's sad to see that GAF still isn't mature enough to handle simple tech price comparisons and looks without going for full bingo with missing the entire point and calling it recruitment videos but then again the majority here are console users so there's bound to be more brandboys around and about.

On a more positive note, thanks OP, love these kind of things.

Too many fanboys for this :-D

Planet

Oh hello there defensive, nice to meet you:)
If I am "defensive", and you oppose me, then: hello there, offensive! ;)

Certainly I am not defending the Scorpio as a worthwhile purchase. It is interesting to me merely as a technical design study, what console hardware in 2017 can do for the buck. Will be interesting to see it in real time, in the future! It doesn't seem to have a large target audience, though. Can't see it catching anyone not yet invested in the Xbox One ecosystem, and the people who want the best graphics will still only find their home with a PC. The PS4 Pro is rather niche, but Scorpio will be significantly smaller.

That said, those comparisons as in the OP are hand-picked, meaningless and mainly serve to make the master race on a budget feel good.

nynt9

Man, so many people always catch feelings from these videos. Can't be happy that a budget gaming PC is doing well for people who want that kind of experience!

Tecnniqe

Banned
I don't agree. I believe a PC can offer very close, equal or better value for money in terms of performance per dollar.
Also more factors in here, paid online, free online, game prices and so on.

Not as simple as parts as a one time fee but money over time.

FinalAres

If I am "defensive", and you oppose me, then: hello there, offensive! ;)

Certainly I am not defending the Scorpio as a worthwhile purchase. It is interesting to me merely as a technical design study, what console hardware in 2017 can do for the buck. It doesn't seem to have a large target audience, though. Can't see it catching anyone not yet invested in the Xbox One ecosystem, and the people who want the best graphics will still only find their home with a PC. The PS4 Pro is rather niche, but Scorpio will be significantly smaller.

That said, those comparisons as in the OP are hand-picked, meaningless and mainly serve to make the master race on a budget feel good.
Fair comment.

Especially with PC the problem is, yes you have all this power but what are you actually doing with it? More pixels? Faster pixels? So what?

For me PC is about the library of games and that's why for me it has good value for money. But for discussions like thi it's easy to get caught up with numbers and lose the meaning.

Brohan

The console is used as a frame of reference for image quality and performance. It's how they can determine if the PC is losing ground as the years go by.

Using the console as reference for image quality makes alot of sense to me but what makes alot less sense is where the $400 price point comes from(disregarding the fact that those $400 are spent on used parts) as both the ps4 and xbox one Haven't cost anything near that for a long time. You can get a new ps4 for about $200 and it will include a controller.

i got wd2 free with my 1080 and had trouble running it at 1080p/60. game isn't very well optimized or a particularly good game in general.

This has to be the most over-slagged game in recent memory. I don't get it. Unless open world city sandbox games have no appeal to you, I don't understand the negative response to this game. It's fun as hell!

I can run 1440p/55fps on my 1070 with minimal settings lowered, so not sure how you're getting such low performance - but I've also played with a friend on her Xbox One with much lower performance.... still looked and played great.

Put down Zelda last night to finally check out the WD2 DLC and shit runs and looks like a fucking dream compared to that (which I also have zero complaints with). Just surprised at the overwhelming lukewarm to negative response this game gets and think the performance issues are being blown way out of proportion.

Using the console as reference for image quality makes alot of sense to me but what makes alot less sense is where the $400 price point comes from(disregarding the fact that those $400 are spent on used parts) as both the ps4 and xbox one Haven't cost anything near that for a long time. You can get a new ps4 for about $200 and it will include a controller.

The $350 price point was set in 2014 as the then average price of a used ps4 in good condition. It's not a new build.

Brohan

The $350 price point was set in 2014 as the then average price of a used ps4 in good condition. It's not a new build.

I think used ps4s could be had for less in 2014 but that is besides the point.

I think the fact that it is an old build that uses old console prices works in it's advantage.

A new potato masher that has to compete against the price of a used ps4 today ($150?) would be worse off. At least i think.

Planet

Man, so many people always catch feelings from these videos. Can't be happy that a budget gaming PC is doing well for people who want that kind of experience!
Then why do they put a label "console killer" on those videos? Even if it was meant as a gag, the console gamers were not the ones to put it in a confrontational context.
Can you explain why you feel that way? Why is the comparison meaningless and hand-picked?
I have to take back the hand-picked part. There are much more comparisons than I thought there would be.

Meaningless is still valid because the scenario is so constructed. It doesn't apply to real life choices of most gamers. Like I said above, you can get a used PS4 extremely cheap if that is the only parameter. The "equal price" only was achieved by putting used parts (yuck!) against a new device which naturally costs more than later in its life span.

And there are so many more parameters that factor into the enjoyment of games, like friends to play with, previous investments, options like PSVR, price and availability of games and much more. Its not like a lot of potential future gamers exist in a vacuum with no preferences whatsoever and have to decide wether to go with PS4 or PC.

Gaming on an older / cheaper PC is a valid option, sure. But can it exist without constantly emphasing how stupid those console sheeple are? Each has its own pros and cons.

MikeBison

I own pretty much every console from the 2600 onwards, I just love them. Even the ones that are kind of duds. It's just exciting seeing a new box come out, with new marketing, new adverts, sticking it under the tv and playing new exclusives. Consoles will have a place for quite some time going forward.

But i've always toyed with building a mid-high end PC. A friend at work has just done the same after always being console and is really enjoying it. For me right now, I have plenty of lengthy exclusives and multiplayer games to be playing, persona 5, mario kart 8, some PSVR stuff. Along with that my friends are on console and I have a regular group to play overwatch and shoot the shit with every night, being on a console makes that super easy for me.

It's going to happen eventually though, and when I do, I'm super glad builds like this are out there. It's a really cool study in what you can do for cheap. Ultimately I fall down on the side of thinking you may as well build mid-high end with PC as opposed to something in the console price range, but it's great for those that want to.

All platforms have their merits, people don't need to talk like it's a black and white, 1 correct answer deal.

I think used ps4s could be had for less in 2014 but that is besides the point.

I think the fact that it is an old build that uses old console prices works in it's advantage.

A new potato masher that has to compete against the price of a used ps4 today ($150?) would be worse off. At least i think.

Well the point of the project was to investigate how well an old pc could keep up with a console as the years went by so building something similar today wouldn't provide any new info. It would be fun to try and match the PS4 for $150 though, it might actually be doable in the used market.

Like I said above, you can get a used PS4 extremely cheap if that is the only parameter. The "equal price" only was achieved by putting used parts (yuck!) against a new device which naturally costs more than later in its life span.

When the project began in 2014 the target price of $350 was the estimated price of a used ps4 in good condition. It's not used against new.

And there are so many more parameters that factor into the enjoyment of games

Very true and it applies to all platforms.

Gaming on an older / cheaper PC is a valid option, sure. But can it exist without constantly emphasing how stupid those console sheeple are? Each has its own pros and cons.

Literally noone said that people who buy consoles are sheeple. The fact that an old PC keeps up with a console doesn't make a console a bad choice. Just a different one.

Edit: shut, consecutive posts again. Sorry mods, I'll be more careful.

Herola

Neo Member

Isn't the fact that you can buy a PS4 for much cheaper right now and that the masher cost more now than it did them make it odd to bring up in 2017?

Brohan

Well the point of the project was to investigate how well an old pc could keep up with a console as the years went by so building something similar today wouldn't provide any new info. It would be fun to try and match the PS4 for $150 though, it might actually be doable in the used market.

Was not also the point to show that you could by a PC that matches console performance for the same price as a console? I don't think that's the case anymore. At least not without leaving out stuff like Windows OS and m+k.

Would be fun to see someone try to build a pc that matches console performance from used parts with only $150 to spend though(without purposefuly? forgetting parts) .

Would be fun to see someone try to build a pc that matches console performance from used parts with only $150 to spend though(without purposefuly? forgetting parts) .

I would love to see that as well. Who knows, it might be doable. What's the best place to shop for used parts and PCs in the US?

MUnited83

For you.
Isn't the fact that you can buy a PS4 for much cheaper right now and that the masher cost more now than it did them make it odd to bring up in 2017?

... new games are released and it's nice to see how a older weaker PC still holds up today? Are you like missing the whole point of this to begin with. Do you expect the dude to invest in a completely new build every single year? That literally goes against the damn point
Also, the only reason the masher "costs more" now is because many of those components are no longer being actively produced. You could get a PC better than the Masher right now for less the price.

Brohan

I would love to see that as well. Who knows, it might be doable. What's the best place to shop for used parts and PCs in the US?

I don't know, in the Netherlands it's best to go to the Tweakers website for used parts. But i'm pretty sure that it's an impossible task over here to buy a pc with console performance for only €150.

Darkroronoa

Looks like people will do anything to downplay the existense of budget PC gaming. Its sad really.

People really dont get what the video wants to show.

There was the times when buying a budget gpu would let you play games for only a few years before you really had to upgrade. Buying a GeForce 6600GT (or even a 6800 ultra) or a ATI1950, top end gpu's by the time xbox 360 arrived, would only get you so far. Not to mention how much more expensive a PC back then was.

Now the guy in the video does the one thing many of us want to see, he puts to the test a similarly priced PC (used) versus a PS4 and compares performance as the years pass. He does something that Digital Foundry stopped doing with their budget build on their face offs.
If i remember correcly the build was even cheaper, but he upgraded the RAM by 4GB and added the cost (atm of the upgrade price, not old) to the build. Its a pretty cool project.

The results are pretty amazing, back then it was the norm that "the console will outperform the PC", its not anymore. This budget PC is keeping toe to toe with the PS4.

Budget PC gaming is a pretty good choice, maybe not the best considering with a few more $$$ you can get more performance, but now you can do it with very good performance.

Also people (ignoring the point of the video) compare the initial cost ingnoring completely the extra costs that come with the console, and then they ask about fair comparison.
I would say that they dont want a fair comparison. Although asking about gamepad or mouse/kb is a valid point, they are essential to gaming.
I remember having a convo with a guy that claimed that you need 800$ for a comparable PC, he even "forced" me to include an audio card to the build. Its a miracle we did not see this here. We did see though the "you need a disk drive", no you really dont. Even retail games comes with steam codes these days. Some retail games dont even have a disk i think. And yes i live in europe.

I dont get why people react like this on thread like this. Its good to offer critisism but first you need to understand what you see in the video.

Brohan

I feel like both sides have trouble being honest with themselves and the other side. It really goes both ways.

I know alot of console gamers keep their costs down by only buying ps+ during sales and by buying games used or by selling their games once they are done with them.

Both sides have alot of ways to keep their costs down or can easily have their prices skyrocket if they want to.

Herola

Neo Member
... new games are released and it's nice to see how a older weaker PC still holds up today? Are you like missing the whole point of this to begin with. Do you expect the dude to invest in a completely new build every single year? That literally goes against the damn point
Also, the only reason the masher "costs more" now is because many of those components are no longer being actively produced. You could get a PC better than the Masher right now for less the price.

No I am not missing the point at all. I'm just stating from a price stand point (which is the whole point of the video) it misses the mark for someone like me who isn't a PC gamer beyond playing Civ.

Lighten up buddy not being negative against PC just willing to have an opposing position.

Herola

Neo Member
I feel like both sides have trouble being honest with themselves and the other side. It really goes both ways.

I know alot of console gamers keep their costs down by only buying ps+ during sales and by buying games used or by selling their games once they are done with them.

Both sides have alot of ways to keep their costs down or can easily have their prices skyrocket if they want to.

Brohan You are correct both sides have benefits and find ways to cut the cost. Great view point.

Ivan

Still, I wouldn't recommend anyone getting into PC gaming by getting a potato masher. These videos has proven that such PC can only last a couple of years or so, then you'll have to upgrade the gpu to be able to run games on the same fidelity as the PS4. Surely you can still run the game, but not better or comparable to PS4 version anymore, which is the point of these videos. With a PS4, you can buy it at launch and never have to worry about anything for the next 6 years or so.

I think a mid-end PC is the minimum for PC. It will last at least for a whole console generation.

Well said, I agree 100%.

Top Bottom