• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Power Rangers |SPOILER THREAD| We've got SIX (6) more after this, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
...I genuinely liked it. Like... huh.

The cast was great together. I really didn't mind that they didn't get into the suits until they end - it's part of the arc. It's the hurdle they have to overcome, and instead, the movie focuses on their chemistry and them connecting as characters. If anything, the big action setpiece was maybe my least favorite part of the movie since the rest of it was just me enjoying watching them hang out and train. Them actually donning the suits feels earned.

...Guys I really liked this movie.

I've had discussions with a few guys I went with. We keep coming back to the characters.

Like they are the best part and so well written (minus what I mentioned earlier, which is Kimberlys character motivation, which I generally feel like was a "eh, this is a from another draft and we can't think of anything else" ) they are surprisingly well acted too.

I just.. am shocked that the I actually give a damn about the characters.

I've had discussions with a few guys I went with. We keep coming back to the characters.

Like they are the best part and so well written (minus what I mentioned earlier, which is Kimberlys character motivation, which I generally feel like was a "eh, this is a from another draft and we can't think of anything else" ) they are surprisingly well acted too.

I just.. am shocked that the I actually give a damn about the characters.

Not only that but mostly equally likeable,
I honestly couldn't pick a favorite of the movie team.

Tommy better bring his A game.

Zen Aku

Yeah I was really surprised that they actually have a decent character development for most of the cast. They could have done an easy cash grab and focus on how awesome being a power rangers was. But no, there's actually good writing in this.

The actors took their character seriously while maintain a sense of levity that we're used to in the show. I think that's what shocked me the most. We thought it was going to be grim and gritty from the trailers. But they ended up not taking themselves very seriously when they don't need to. Also the rangers talked about actually KILLING Rita. They would never say that in the show. It's always "defeat" Rita. So I'm pretty glad that the writers knows that the audience for this movie are a lot older now and expect the rangers to try and deal with Rita in a more permanent solution​ instead of just "oh no! She escaped, we'll get her next time."

(Even if that's exactly what happened at the end lol)

Zordon gave up his one chance of coming back to life so that he could revive Billy?? While that whole thing is kinda like "what? Why does Zordon only have one chance to come back? Kinda arbitrary now that the rangers have access to the Morphin Grid, which is what was needed." It's fine, because despite the plot hole, that was an amazing moment by Cranston. It really gave Zordon more depth to his character than just a floating head that teaches the rangers.

Israelite said JDF and Amy Jo each shot two cameo scenes. Only one was used in the movie. This clears the confusion that I had. Friday afternoon, as I was driving home from work, the lady on the radio was talking about the movie, and said that Amy Jo told her she had a cameo in the movie as "a reporter". I imagine the other scene that was cut established that she was such a reporter.

I hope they include the scenes on the blu-ray.

sibarraz

Banned
I hated when Power sounded on the battle, it felt out of place when they could have used the rangers theme

Besides that it was a great movie

I hated when Power sounded on the battle, it felt out of place when they could have used the rangers theme

Besides that it was a great movie

Was literally my only negative, i guess that song is fine for a commercial(I hated it) but it absolutely didn't fit and was more of a stretch than "Go Go"'s inclusion

I hated when Power sounded on the battle, it felt out of place when they could have used the rangers theme.

I felt that both weren't used to their full effect, honestly.

They could have used Power when the Zord were running towards the town along with their little skirmish with the Puddies. And the Theme Song could have been used and played in it's entirety when the Megazord formed and they were fighting Goldar.

Toa TAK

Banned
I felt that both weren't used to their full effect, honestly.

They could have used Power when the Zord were running towards the town along with their little skirmish with the Puddies. And the Theme Song could have been used and played in it's entirety when the Megazord formed and they were fighting Goldar.
I feel the same. I think both both songs have their place, just wasn't cracked as well as they could've been.

Jezan

I really wanted to love this movie, but it failed to deilver in the Power Rangers aspect, I mean the teen part of the movie was great, except trying to make Jason a martyr, Trini and Billy were the best characters, and the lesbian stuff was more direct than what I initially thought.

But Zordon was an asshole, Alpha has a creepy voice , he sounded like an adult while having the body of a kid(?), Zordon was so stupid and an asshole. The intro should have been explained later, because it didn't add any drama since we had no connection to Rita or Zordon.

But the Ranger stuff, there were almost no martial arts and Zack escalated the battle taking out the putties with his zords. Also one of the things I think we all love is the megazord sequence, seeing how each zord becomes a part of the Megazord, but in this movie it just a dramatic (?) moment that tries to become cool by showing the Megazord emerging from the pit.

Btw the zord battle showed how stupid the open helmet stuff is, when Billy was dropped and he crashed his face went all over the board, IRL he would at least have a broken nose. Hyping up the suits just to have the open helmets, why?

Bonus points because tehre was no kiss scene.

Sulik2

I liked it much more then I expected. Nice character development. Final action set piece was too short, but over all a solid relaunch of the franchise. Rita was perfectly hammy too.

Hated the megazord design though.

Annoyed at shows saying universe all the time. Just say galaxy. A galaxy is plenty big.

SFenton

I thought it was ridiculously cheesy and pretty bad. Reviews aren't wrong when they're comparing it to CW level drama and the whole last fight scene just devolved from all the (way over dramatic) tone set before it into complete cheese, which it just doesn't earn.

Also, whatever Krispy Kreme paid... worth it, I guess.

The only character who earned her cheese was Rita, and it actually looked like Elizabeth Banks was just having fun hamming it up the whole time, so I liked that.

Have a feeling this is going to drop significantly next weekend with Ghost in the Shell, and I frankly don't understand where "good word of mouth" is coming from. Outside of GAF, don't see anyone else talking about it, and even my friends who watched the original show liked it pretty much for the nostalgia factor.

At least the CGI didn't suck, and the licensed soundtrack wasn't Suicide Squad bad (really solid 21 Pilots choice, HandClap felt out of place but it's a fun song, Power was nice). Wasn't so bad I hated it, but definitely wasn't good enough to warrant me paying for a sequel unless critics absolutely loved it.

Just my jumble of thoughts.

Just saw it.

I thought it was okay but I just couldn't find these guys to be inspiring to any kids out there. Just a bunch of juveniles with no real inspiring qualities (minus Billy, who was my fave in this). I feel the original show at least had some focus - Jason being a martial artist, Kim being a gymnast etc. Only Billy in the movie shows any real defining, inspiration, to me anyway.

The Zords were better than expected but still ugly. The combination was lame and just happened. Would have expected better.

Also, I'm bummed none of these guys are decent at martial arts as part of their character. Hopefully Tommy's casting fixes that.

I like Rita. Campy but I liked it.

Krispy Kreme can go do one. Highly distracting and annoying.

Cow joke was incredibly inappropriate and stupid in a young teen's movie (it's 12A in the UK), so I'd be well uncomfortable having my kids hear that in a Power Rangers movie of all places. Seemed like something I'd hear in American Pie.

I liked Cranston as Zordon. Plays the part well.

That said, I'm still down for a sequel.

Jerm411

I saw a MegaZord literally german suplex a giant Goldar to finish a fight....

Jesus you can take me now.....

I frankly don't understand where "good word of mouth" is coming from. Outside of GAF, don't see anyone else talking about it,

Gaf sure, also reddit and youtube are big ones. And facebook, rangerbord, even overheard people at krispy kreme after my girlfriend begged to go after the movie (i guess the money paid off for them). Pretty much anywhere with people talking about the movie.

Also don't forget Twitter. There's a reason this movie is tracked above expectation.

Also it's not the sort of WOM you'd get with lets say a marvel movie. More so "hey that Power Rangers movie was actually pretty good. If you're a fan of the series. Go check it out"

Totlly forgot about twitter. That's a big one, too. People are chatting all over.

Boke1879

Gaf sure, also reddit and youtube are big ones. And facebook, rangerbord, even overheard people at krispy kreme after my girlfriend begged to go after the movie (i guess the money paid off for them). Pretty much anywhere with people talking about the movie.

Also don't forget Twitter. There's a reason this movie is tracked above expectation.

Also it's not the sort of WOM you'd get with lets say a marvel movie. More so "hey that Power Rangers movie was actually pretty good. If you're a fan of the series. Go check it out"

MouldyK

Here's my Hot Take: It was not terrible.

But it felt overproduced to hell and felt like it was trying too hard at times. I like my Power Rangers with a budget of £10
and my Yellow Rangers stereotypically Asian for that added 90's Racism.

Also...I REALLY hate when films do shut like "We're like one big Zord...like a Monozord...or a Megazord!"

I don't know what's it's called...but I despise it. Fantastic 4 did it too...which this film reminded me of.

Oh...and I could do without the Krispy Kreme advertisement. I don't like advertisements in my films either.

Plus the suits were terrible too.

Overall, not bad, but forgettable.

EDIT: Also, the "I milked the cow...oh, it was a male? I wondered why there was only one udder and I had to use both hands..." moment ruined the film for me in the first 3 minutes...congrats movie!

EDIT 2: Film seemed too dark and serious for the most part except Rita. She was hammy and I liked that. I hate Hollywood thinking everything needs to be dark as fuck. Power Rangers is meant to be campy, not broody!

lol at everyone saying this movie was cheesy but liked guardians of the galaxy. guardians was way more cheesy.

this movie was better than guardians

I enjoyed it. I dont like how they did the megazord. I wanted to see the separate pieces and it seemed they are now molded together. I am sure they come apart but seems unnecessary. Just have them fit together like normal. Also I felt the black yellow and blue zords werent detailed enougb or look lime their dinos. The black ranger looked blue with the body suit underneath. Jason does give Efron vibes. I liked the character development though Kimberly didnt tell the group her story. Overall it was fun. I had low expectations. 7/10

Here's my Hot Take: It was not terrible.

EDIT: Also, the "I milked the cow...oh, it was a male? I wondered why there was only one udder and I had to use both hands..." moment ruined the film for me in the first 3 minutes...congrats movie!

Yeah. My 10 yr old.daughter was like what? I was like just watch shhhhh

Regiruler

When Rita got backhanded into outerspace did anyone else thought of
team-rocket-blasting-off-again-o.gif

Only legitimately enjoyable part of the movie.

SFenton

lol at everyone saying this movie was cheesy but liked guardians of the galaxy. guardians was way more cheesy.

this movie was better than guardians

Disagree. If we're going to say Guardians is cheesy, Guardians at least toes that line extraordinarily well.

Power Rangers goes from overdramatic to over cheesy the second they morph. Having never seen the originals, I would have rather had them stay in one tone consistently (and, frankly, I would have loved a full cheese movie more, but it still doesn't toe the cheese line well).

How many of you saw it and liked it that did not grow up on or see the originals, out of curiosity?

Just got back from round 2. Took my dad, sister, her boyfriend, and my buddy. They all loved it. Will probably see it a couple more times while it's in theaters cause I still have friends that want to go. Seriously I can't believe how good this movie is.

I liked it. Humor was hit more than miss, and I liked the characters.

Way too much "What are the odds!", but eh it didn't hurt the movie that much. The only really glaring part was the continued abuse of the bullies. Which was really really weird after we learned that Kim was actually the one at fault. Kim is kind of a bitch. A really cute bitch.

The designs really grew on me. I liked how worn and faded the Zords looked, and the molten look of Goldray. I wish Rita had more scenes. Final battle was pretty hype. I actually kind of want a sequel. I'd like to see these characters developed further.

Like I always say, you know a movies going to be good when it starts with a Bestiality joke.

Also it was all a dream. Angel grove is purgatory. All 5 of them committed suicide in various ways, and this is them fighting out of it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Was surprisingly good. Largely in part due to the cast. Everything about them was surprisingly well done and I liked the diversity they had as both physical and mental.

I really enjoyed how Zach kept hitting on Trini till it came out about girl troubles. Without ever saying she is gay, they hinted prior, it was her moment, and it just sort of passed without making a big deal of it. I liked it a lot for some reason. Direct without actually saying it.

I also enjoyed how Zordon was an ass, or better to say, he was committing the same faults as the first time.

Was surprisingly good. Largely in part due to the cast. Everything about them was surprisingly well done and I liked the diversity they had as both physical and mental.

I really enjoyed how Zach kept hitting on Trini till it came out about girl troubles. Without ever saying she is gay, they hinted prior, it was her moment, and it just sort of passed without making a big deal of it. I liked it a lot for some reason. Direct without actually saying it.

I also enjoyed how Zordon was an ass, or better to say, he was committing the same faults as the first time.

seeing the movie twice now she never says she's gay. She says her parents like "label's" she could be bi for all we know. Either way it was an awesome scene and they did a great job of not lingering on it long and letting her have her moment of who she is. It sucks that her and Zach are pretty interesting but don't really get to shine till the campfire scene. I hope they both get delved into more in the sequel

hirokazu

While my reaction to the film was generally positive immediately after watching it, I think overall, I'm pretty mixed over the film.

I liked the cast overall, I liked their stories and I liked their bonding. I liked that they spent time with the inidividual Dinozords and most of them got some action. I liked that Pterodactyl wasn't just useless outside of being the chest armour for the Megazord. I liked that they had to coordinate to control the Megazord. I liked that it was pretty clear Rita was the original Green Ranger right from the get-go to get that out of the way.

I liked Rita overall but felt she could've done with more screen time. I thought the time developing each Ranger was uneven, with the detention trio getting most of it, while Zack and Trini was more incidental, though maybe deliberately mysterious.

I thought it took way too long for the rangers to morph and actually get into the battle. Some people liked the film before that point, some people liked it after, but it certainly made it a lot less of a Power Rangers film than it probably should've been. I didn't like Goldar and thought it was probably a waste of money. I didn't like the transition to the Megazord was bad - imagine if Transformers did away with their signature transformations! I didn't like that the Megazord had separated cockpits.

I just think the film overall misses the mark in being marketable to kids, to teens and to adults who were fans growing up. It's too dark and slow for pre-teens. It feels like a teen movie but today's teens likely grew up when Disney held the reigns and did at poor job with the franchise. Or they'd be too embarrassed to admit they want to watch it, I don't know. And for adults who did grow up with early Power Rangers, they could probably appreciate the teen drama, but I'm pretty sure most wanted to see the campy Power Rangers action too.

I mean, it most of the film didn't feel like Power Rangers. It was competent, but it felt like it was missing something. It definitely wasn't for kids. Compare that the MMPR: The Movie - that was really quite a shit movie, but there was a lot for the target audience to like about the movie. Although I was a little disappointed at how little time they spent in their ranger costumes, and how terrible the CG was, as a kid it was freaking amazing regardless.

Budget-wise, I felt they could've saved costs by making Goldar more practical and less a giant molten mess of gold. In terms of prospects for a sequel, the film seems close to doomed due to its budget alone. At the same time, I don't know if a different approach would've done any better. The CG was competent and well done and a lower budget might have negatively impacted that. But they might've been able to pull it off on a lower budget with a mix of practical and digital effects.

Overall, I don't know whether doing it differently and/or on a lower budget would have improved the film or it's prospects at making a profit. It seems Lionsgate will get its money back because of the distribution deals. Maybe it'll make a decent profit on home video from people too embarrassed to admit to watching Power Rangers. Or maybe Power Rangers is just past its prime without a clear target market.

It's weird. I think that whole campfire scene is one of the best scenes.
Some people don't like it.

I can't really understand that. I dunno. Maybe I'm looking at through rose-colored glasses

Lifeline

Just finished watching it. It was pretty good, but man once they got their zords and their final battle started, the movie turned to shit. The CGI is so bad and the action is terrible, felt like I was watching the TV Show again.

The cast and the beginning is great, hope it gets a sequel cause I want more of that and hopefully they'll work on better action set peices.

I can't really understand that. I dunno. Maybe I'm looking at through rose-colored glasses

I liked it. The only problem I had was disproportionate problems. I mean Zach has a dying mother living in a trailer park with no other family, but, guys come on, Kimberley is just too mean.

Lifeline

I liked it. The only problem I had was disproportionate problems. I mean Zach has a dying mother living in a trailer park with no other family, but, guys come on, Kimberley is just too mean.

Zach: 1 min my mother is dying and I live in a trailer.
Yellow: 5 min of my family is too normal, and I wanna be different ya know

Fj0823

They all have their own problems, you can't expect 5 random kids to have tortured lives or childhoods, unless you're watching Naruto.

Yes Zack has it worse, but Kimberly is ashamed of herself and that's keeping her from opening up. They were sharing stuff with each other, not competing.

I think it was fine

hirokazu

I agree. I thought the campfire scene was pivotal. One related criticism is that they spent some much time on Jason being a dumbass that they could've spent exploring Zack and Trini. Instead, theyjust made them mysterious outsiders except for one scene each before they got the courage to tell their story at the campfire. It felt they kinda got shafted.

And one thing I forgot to mention, Jason never felt like a leader in the movie. He was a clear leader in the TV show and probably didn't help that he was a likeable dude, but I never felt he was capable in the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom