• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Power Rangers |SPOILER THREAD| We've got SIX (6) more after this, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick

Banned
Ran through the soundtrack real quick just now and noticed that Brian Tyler Michael Giacchino'd the MMPR theme (original theme composition + original score mix). Kinda wish he went nuts with it like Giacchino would, but it works out pretty well.

Good movie for sure. Enjoyed the hell out of it. The actors for the Rangers were definitely the best parts, but the action was a tad weak imo. I loved that Rita and Zordon being former Rangers actually panned out. I'm definitely down for a sequel.

TBH I've yet to see any hate.

No one is claiming that they "raped much childhood" with this movie, which is great.

They said that before the movie came out.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Sorry if its been brought up already a bunch, but I didn't like how their masks weren't on. The whole point of getting badass armor is to wear the badass armor.

Otherwise it was fun. Hopefully it makes enough money so we can have the green ranger sequel.

next time i want:

-more martial arts
-actually show the megazord being formed
-better use of your cameo stars. altho i guess you only get one shot at that :(

yencid

fuck the haters

i liked it

cheered during GO GO POWER RANGERS

i was in a movie theater with reclinable chairs and the chair was all the way back, i literally shot up to a seating position and screamed YES! when it came on. didn't think it was too short at all. i was with my friend and i told him, if they dont say "its morphing time" im gonna throw hands and then 10 minutes later they did.

honestly the movie hit all the right notes for me.

I'll admit to being pleasantly surprised with this movie. Like really.

And kinda left wanting Krispy Kreme.

I need a gif of Rita in the Krispy Kreme. And being smacked into the atmosphere. And like three other things.

Fj0823

They've already fucked that up, I don't know how they'll retcon how they did it in this film to make it cool again.

"Your zords were optimized for the "Megazord" configuration you discovered in your last battle, you can now combine them on command"

Mom get the credit card, new toys!!

Bossniak

Left satisifed. It was neat. Only thing I found hard to figure out is what was Zachs zord? Didn't look like No mastodon.

Seeing Amy jo and Jdf was awesome.

Zen Aku

But Zordon was an asshole, Alpha has a creepy voice , he sounded like an adult while having the body of a kid(?), Zordon was so stupid and an asshole. The intro should have been explained later, because it didn't add any drama since we had no connection to Rita or Zordon.

But the Ranger stuff, there were almost no martial arts and Zack escalated the battle taking out the putties with his zords. Also one of the things I think we all love is the megazord sequence, seeing how each zord becomes a part of the Megazord, but in this movie it just a dramatic (?) moment that tries to become cool by showing the Megazord emerging from the pit.

Btw the zord battle showed how stupid the open helmet stuff is, when Billy was dropped and he crashed his face went all over the board, IRL he would at least have a broken nose. Hyping up the suits just to have the open helmets, why?
1. I like this interpretation of Zordon more than iconic original. In the original Zordon just recruited these 5 teenagers and basically remained 100% chill mode all the time. There was no growth, no development. The rangers all obeyed him without questions, it was bad story telling. But Cranston brought a better interpretation on to the table. He was the red ranger, the leader of the team. His team was betrayed by someone he trusted and he died to protect the power coins. He woke up 65 million years later to find that he's trapped in a wall and that he has to mentor these teenagers into becoming a new team in 11 days to stop Rita. That's a lot for someone to take in and it shows how frustrated and angry he was. It's completely understandable. But at the end he realized that these kids have bonded like his old teammates did. That his team had their chances to stop Rita, and it's now their turn to protect Earth. He gave up his one chance to return to life to bring back Billy. That shows a lot of character growth. He made a sacrifice that he might not have made 11 days ago during anger and frustration.

2. You do realize that in this interpretation none of the kids are martial artist right? In the 90's show Jason, Zack, Trini and Tommy were trained martial artist, Kimberly was a cheerleader with great athletic ability and They trained Billy who was a quick learner.

In this movie Jason is a football player, Billy is just a geek, Trini and Zack are your typical loner outcasts, Kimberly is a cheerleader. None of them have any martial arts experience. All they had was 11 days go train in the pit with Alpha 5. It's understandable that they didn't go all Bruce Lee on the putties.

3. All the kids basically became superhuman. The ginger got knocked out cold when he tried to headbutt Billy. So I'm sure Billy wouldn't get break his nose from a small drop like that.

I saw a MegaZord literally german suplex a giant Goldar to finish a fight....

Jesus you can take me now.....
What a time to be alive.

Also...I REALLY hate when films do shut like "We're like one big Zord...like a Monozord...or a Megazord!"

Oh...and I could do without the Krispy Kreme advertisement. I don't like advertisements in my films either.

Billy said Mamazord before changing it go Megazord which I thought was funny.

Also 99% of blockbuster movies nowadays have an ad or two in it somewhere. That must really sucks for you if you hate it that much.

hirokazu

Huh? We didn't see the transformation in this film; there's no reason they can't show it next time.
The implication for me was that the Zords melted and then fused together with their previous individual form no longer existing, rather than them joining together mechanically.

"Your zords were optimized for the "Megazord" configuration you discovered in your last battle, you can now combine them on command"

Mom get the credit card, new toys!!
Last I saw, the new Megazord toy looks like a piece of shit, even worse than the Megazord in the movie.

Left satisifed. It was neat. Only thing I found hard to figure out is what was Zachs zord? Didn't look like No mastodon.
It took me a really long time to see how it could be a mastodon. Basically, it a shrimpy little trunk. It was also hard to see sabretooth tiger, but it didn't get much screentime. Still, it turned out better than in the promo posters.

Dominator

Saw it last night with a packed crowd. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but some of the dialogue was just too corny. I got over that though. Rita was pretty bad and the weak point of the film. I understand thats the character, but she was extremely over-the-top for what this movie was trying to be.

My theater erupted in cheers and clapping when the credits hit.

I was looking at the toy version of the MegaZord, and the way they combine makes no sense at all. you have to completely take all of them apart, as in say the Tyrannosaurus Zord breaks apart into multiple pieces, and then they combine with strange placements for the parts. They don't slot in in a sensible way.

There's no thought put into it at all. It's like they designed the Zords and Megazord separately without any idea for how the 5 of them could become one

The implication for me was that the Zords melted and then fused together with their previous individual form no longer existing, rather than them joining together mechanically.

Yea it seemed like nobody expected the formation of the Megazord to be possible. Even Rita looked at them and was like wtf. Also I kinda expected an explanation as to why Goldar looked like the Megazord but covered in gold.

hirokazu

I was looking at the toy version of the MegaZord, and the way they combine makes no sense at all. you have to completely take all of them apart, as in say the Tyrannosaurus Zord breaks apart into multiple pieces, and then they combine with strange placements for the parts. They don't slot in in a sensible way.

There's no thought put into it at all. It's like they designed the Zords and Megazord separately without any idea for how the 5 of them could become one
I didn't know the toys could even break apart into individual Zords, but it really does seem like they weren't preparing to have it combine and break apart properly. They need to learn from the Japanese there and integrate the toy development into the design process of the Zords.

I do wonder how they'll approach the sequel. This movie had a budget of over $100 million and the profit margins for this film right now are looking real thin.

But you see a lot of people complaining about the lack of action scenes.

So what do they do with the sequel? Spend more money on action scenes and risk losing more money? Or spend less money and risk turning audiences away?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I do wonder how they'll approach the sequel. This movie had a budget of over $100 million and the profit margins for this film right now are looking real thin.

So what do they do with the sequel? Spend more money on action scenes and risk losing more money? Or spend less money and risk turning audiences away?

More donuts.

Zen Aku

Spend more money to make it better. People are more warm up to this series and its potential now than a couple months ago when everyone was shitting on the costume, zords and what people thought was obvious cash grab. It didnt get great reviews but the potential is definitely there, they should capitalize on it and go all out.

There isn't many film like this that try to revive an old classic and manage to get good word of mouth.

KazenY2J

Surprisingly really liked it.

The acting was great for a group of new actors, only issue was Rita.
The suits, Alpha, and zords look much better in motion (which is what I was expecting).

Loved how they developed the characters throughout the film before initially morphing too, way different than the series.

hirokazu

More donuts.
This.

Also, we can handle less crazy suits. They can spend less money on suits but still have a cool take on the TV show suits without going overboard and looking overdesigned like the current ones.

Spend less on the CG. Have more Ranger fights, especially if they can get as much putties, monsters and other villians done practically at human size. The film didn't really have much before they jumped into their Zords. They can have heaps more fights by having Ranger fights throughout the film and leaving the Zord stuff for the finale. Save the CG for improving the practical effects, rather than replacing it.

I felt Goldar was a waste of money because of all the molten gold effects that had to do. Make a more solid villain and you'd probably save some money. If they could, do practical effects and composite them together with CG. These days, it seems everything has to be organic, curvy, and flowy. I doubt a lot of people mind a Megazord that's blocky but can be done as a dude in a suit. As long as they take into account how they combine so the toys both look and work well.

Toki767

I think you could probably get away without doing a ton of the CG action scenes in a sequel since the second movie should be about the Green Ranger. All you'd really need is a 5-10 minute Dragonzord vs Megazord fight in the end.

The rest could be mostly hand to hand combat.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
This.

Also, we can handle less crazy suits. They can spend less money on suits but still have a cool take on the TV show suits without going overboard and looking overdesigned like the current ones.

Spend less on the CG. Have more Ranger fights, especially if they can get as much putties, monsters and other villians done practically at human size. The film didn't really have much before they jumped into their Zords. They can have heaps more fights by having Ranger fights throughout the film and leaving the Zord stuff for the finale. Save the CG for improving the practical effects, rather than replacing it.

I felt Goldar was a waste of money because of all the molten gold effects that had to do. Make a more solid villain and you'd probably save some money. If they could, do practical effects and composite them together with CG. These days, it seems everything has to be organic, curvy, and flowy. I doubt a lot of people mind a Megazord that's blocky but can be done as a dude in a suit. As long as they take into account how they combine so the toys both look and work well.

Good suggestions but they'll probably double down on CG (for monsters at least) cause it's easier for them to control everything

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Wait so this movie is actually... good?

I remember watching the original movie in the cinemas. The one with Ivan Ooze. So you're telling me I have to watch this now for my childhood's sake? Fuck

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
At some point they said they would take her and the green crystal to Zordon but she didn't like the idea and end up in space, I suppose she still has the green crystal?

Her staff had the coin but she didn't have her staff in space so it probably fell somewhere

Jezan

1. I like this interpretation of Zordon more than iconic original. In the original Zordon just recruited these 5 teenagers and basically remained 100% chill mode all the time. There was no growth, no development. The rangers all obeyed him without questions, it was bad story telling. But Cranston brought a better interpretation on to the table. He was the red ranger, the leader of the team. His team was betrayed by someone he trusted and he died to protect the power coins. He woke up 65 million years later to find that he's trapped in a wall and that he has to mentor these teenagers into becoming a new team in 11 days to stop Rita. That's a lot for someone to take in and it shows how frustrated and angry he was. It's completely understandable. But at the end he realized that these kids have bonded like his old teammates did. That his team had their chances to stop Rita, and it's now their turn to protect Earth. He gave up his one chance to return to life to bring back Billy. That shows a lot of character growth. He made a sacrifice that he might not have made 11 days ago during anger and frustration.

2. You do realize that in this interpretation none of the kids are martial artist right? In the 90's show Jason, Zack, Trini and Tommy were trained martial artist, Kimberly was a cheerleader with great athletic ability and They trained Billy who was a quick learner.

In this movie Jason is a football player, Billy is just a geek, Trini and Zack are your typical loner outcasts, Kimberly is a cheerleader. None of them have any martial arts experience. All they had was 11 days go train in the pit with Alpha 5. It's understandable that they didn't go all Bruce Lee on the putties.

3. All the kids basically became superhuman. The ginger got knocked out cold when he tried to headbutt Billy. So I'm sure Billy wouldn't get break his nose from a small drop like that.

What a time to be alive.

Billy said Mamazord before changing it go Megazord which I thought was funny.

Also 99% of blockbuster movies nowadays have an ad or two in it somewhere. That must really sucks for you if you hate it that much.

1- YMMV, but the interpretation he gave didn't feel like he was betrayed, it felt like he was whining because he couldn't beat Rita.

2-Yes, I'm aware, I'm a fan. When I think of PR I think of cool battle choreography, not 1 minute only.

3- The bully is not made of metal and sharp ends, the open helmet is a stupid decision to "show emotion". Dredd did a no face and it was good.

Just because another movie does the ad placement doesn't mean we have to like it. Or is it not wrong because it's part of the plot?

Wait so this movie is actually... good?

I remember watching the original movie in the cinemas. The one with Ivan Ooze. So you're telling me I have to watch this now for my childhood's sake? Fuck
It's a good movie, but don't expect a lot of Power Rangers, imagine it's actually an origin story of some random superheroes.

MouldyK

It does suck for me actually.

"But omg, look! Rita knows where Krispy Kreme is!"

"Billy, go to the Krispy Kreme to stop her before she destroys Krispy Kreme!"

"I'm on my way to Krispy Kreme! Oh no! Goldar is on his way to Krispy Kreme!"

"I'll help defend Krispy Kreme. We can't let him get to Krispy Kreme!"

-switches to Rita in Krispy Kreme eating a Krispy Kreme-

While not exactly how it went...that was close enough to reality to be insulting to viewers. No human speaks like that.

Zack is so offensively attractive that he steals every scene he's in. So much more charm than Zac-Efron clone #600 as the Red Ranger, honestly.

"I'll help defend Krispy Kreme. We can't let him get to Krospy Kreme!"

While not exactly how it went...that was close enough to reality to be insulting to viewers. No human speaks like that.
I usually give properties shit for blatant product placement. But in this cass, I feel it works? It's really hammy and fateful to the source material.

Typically hate that stuff but they knew it would be bad so just went all in on it and it actually worked.
They pushed it into joke territory and it was funny....
yet also on the way home seeing their fresh doughnut sign on, my god I definitely wanted some.

Zen Aku

1- YMMV, but the interpretation he gave didn't feel like he was betrayed, it felt like he was whining because he couldn't beat Rita.

2-Yes, I'm aware, I'm a fan. When I think of PR I think of cool battle choreography, not 1 minute only.

3- The bully is not made of metal and sharp ends, the open helmet is a stupid decision to "show emotion". Dredd did a no face and it was good.

Just because another movie does the ad placement doesn't mean we have to like it. Or is it not wrong because it's part of the plot?

1. He literally said that Rita betrayed them... I mean that's pretty damn clear to me.

2. Yeah I would have liked more action too but I understand plot-wise it made sense they weren't karate masters.

3. I thought it was stupid at first too from the trailers but that moment when Jason looked at Kimberly as their zords were about to be pushed into the pit. That moment worked for me. It wouldn't have if they have had their visor on. It's not really "stupid", sometimes it's a necessary way to show emotion. It's incredibly hard to show real emotions behind a full face mask. I understand why they did it and it doesn't bother me now.

I'm pretty sure they didn't even say Krispy Kreme nearly this much. I've seen much worst product placement that has nothing to do with the plot AND blatantly obvious.

BvS - Lois Lane's camera
Man of Steel - Ihop
Iron Man 3 - Verizon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom