• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio to be shown off next week according to Jez C... (READ MOD POST)

- Shangheist as was said multiple times was just a concept trailer so you can't extrapolate anything from it
I don't believe that for a second.

The studio was formerly known as Microsoft Studios Vancouver before it underwent a name change in November 2012. Prior to its name change, it was working on the now-canceled free-to-play PC title Microsoft Flight and a Kinect family game. After the studio's rebranding, studio manager Mike Crump told the Vancouver Sun that Black Tusk had been given the green light to work on a brand new AAA game.

"We are working on Microsoft's next big franchise," Crump said in November of 2012. "We're not working on an existing franchise. We're looking to build the next Halo here in Vancouver, for example, which is really exciting. We're building something from the ground up."

Microsoft teased what many believed was Black Tusk's original IP at its E3 press conference seven months later. Microsoft Studios corporate vice president Phil Spencer announced on stage that the company was investing in five new studios to create blockbuster franchises for Xbox, and Black Tusk was one of them. He said the studio was "assembling a world-class team to create a brand new AAA exclusive game for Xbox One."
@xboxjobs

@ChrisLikesDinos @blacktuskstudio has been working on an all original IP since its inception, we’ve just brought the GoW franchise (1/2)
@xboxjobs

@ChrisLikesDinos into our portfolio and have not yet determined the future of the new IP at this point. (2/2) (cc @blacktuskstudio)

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/28/5354334/the-mystery-of-black-tusks-next-big-entertainment-franchise

Wedzi

Banned
I don't think this was ever confirmed 100% but a lot of places reported it.

It's widely believed that MS had a first refusal on whatever Bungie's first project was. Also there was that leaked Activision contract which said something about being exclusive on Xbox for a little while? Funny how things turn out with Destiny being so widely associated with PlayStation now.

Even though those are just rumors, given what we know about Microsoft passing up on games left and right it's not really that hard to believe.

Wedzi

Banned
Its kinda weird Monday went by with zero teases / building hype.

I guess MS is really planning on low keying this thing huh

What if nothing happens this week?

clap_400x400.jpg

What if nothing happens this week?

I'm still wondering if anything is even happening.

I mean, if Digital Foundry has the information, why the wait until Thursday?

I'm starting to question it myself. Seems really weird that there wouldn't be any sort of build up to it at all. We are only less than 3 days out now and there isn't anything officially confirmed about any of this.

Just seems really strange

I'm still wondering if anything is even happening.

I mean, if Digital Foundry has the information, why the wait until Thursday?

I would be surprised if MS were to make a blog post on Tuesday or Wednesday about the system and specs. It seems like they should be the ones to announce the specs of the system rather than DF. I still think they gave DF an exclusive look at the system's inside.

Its kinda weird Monday went by with zero teases / building hype.

I guess MS is really planning on low keying this thing huh

Having DF do a big hardware deep dive with E3 coming up, knowing full well that scorpio hardware news and full specs is one of, if not the most, highly sought after pieces of news currently in hardcore gaming circles, isn't what I would classify as low key. This will not be a low key article. This will get coverage and attention everywhere, and in many ways you can say having it go through DF will do it more justice than if Microsoft had done it on their own with their own event.

And it will be even bigger if it confirms certain things that were speculated on or simply hoped for. DF doesn't need to tease anything, and I think everyone here knows that. Their traffic will be insane the moment they drop this. Every video and every paragraph will be obsessed over.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm starting to question it myself. Seems really weird that there wouldn't be any sort of build up to it at all. We are only less than 3 days out now and there isn't anything officially confirmed about any of this.

I would be surprised if MS were to make a blog post on Tuesday or Wednesday about the system and specs. It seems like they should be the ones to announce the specs of the system rather than DF. I still think they gave DF an exclusive look at the system's inside.

It just seems strange. Not even a tease of announce?

"Hey, we and our good friends at Digital Foundry have something special to share with you. Find out more Thursday".

Having DF do a big hardware deep dive with E3 coming up, knowing full well that scorpio hardware news and full specs is one of, if not the most, highly sought after pieces of news currently in hardcore gaming circles, isn't what I would classify as low key. This will not be a low key article. This will get coverage and attention everywhere, and in many ways you can say having it go through DF will do it more justice than if Microsoft had done it on their own with their own event.

And it will be even bigger if it confirms certain things that were speculated on or simply hoped for.

Sure. We know this is happening. People on NeoGAF.

Obviously the article (if real) will blow up and become a big deal, but you would think DF / MS would want maximum coverage over this, and nothing does that like the hardcore fanbase spazzing out building up hype.

I'm just not sure of the strategy to not even start teasing this thing.

Wedzi

Banned

I agree with this sentiment. I think they should have a video with Major Nelson talking to a Scorpio designer like they do with the dashboard updates, explaining the choices made and how it will help games look/perform better. Then on Thursday have the Digital Foundry article diving deeper.

Otherwise... what are you doing?

rokkerkory

I agree with this sentiment. I think they should have a video with Major Nelson talking to a Scorpio designer like they do with the dashboard updates, explaining the choices made and how it will help games look/perform better. Then on Thursday have the Digital Foundry article diving deeper.

Otherwise... what are you doing?

MS wants an impartial 3rd party to do the deep dive. They have enough faith in scorpio to do so and they don't folks to have any reservations.

It's a smarter move.

Wedzi

Banned
MS wants an impartial 3rd party to do the deep dive. They have enough faith in scorpio to do so and they don't folks to have any reservations.

It's a smarter move.

Not saying having Digital Foundry to a deep dive isn't a smart move. If they are that confident in the hardware it's a great move. Just find it odd they wouldn't take the PR opportunity. Digital Foundry isn't really that big of an outlet. It's very un-MS. We're talking about the company here who can't wait to tell you how many bullets fired and teabags bagged in the first month of a new Halo game.

It's a smarter move.

DF doing the deep dive isn't a dumb / not smart move. But in the grand scheme of things they also aren't super huge of a source either, at least in regards to the broader demo out there.

Just randomly dropping it on a Thursday with zero fanfare though, I have to question how far that will reach in comparison to if they fully hype this event. All it takes is some tweets from Phil / Major Nelson to really get that ball rolling among a much broader demographic of anticipation.

But then again, that doesn't take a lot of work to do, so maybe they are just waiting until the last minute to do it. If we don't hear anything in the next 2 days though I gotta wonder if this is really happening (in regards to this week specifically, maybe its hitting a bit later than what has been reported)

DF doing the deep dive isn't a dumb / not smart move. But in the grand scheme of things they also aren't super huge of a source either, at least in regards to the broader demo out there.

Just randomly dropping it on a Thursday with zero fanfare though, I have to question how far that will reach in comparison to if they fully hype this event. All it takes is some tweets from Phil / Major Nelson to really get that ball rolling among a much broader demographic of anticipation.

But then again, that doesn't take a lot of work to do, so maybe they are just waiting until the last minute to do it. If we don't hear anything in the next 2 days though I gotta wonder if this is really happening (in regards to this week specifically, maybe its hitting a bit later than what has been reported)

Same people following their tweets are likely going to be all over DF when they reveal the full specs. They are hitting the same audience, except they are doing it from a standpoint where people can't pull the "Ohhh suuuure, Microsoft. Of course you would say that." They're apparently confident enough to have shown it to DF and will let DF do the speaking for them.

so briefly skimming the thread,
-expecting something on thursday
-hardware detailed, maybe some games shown but not focus of event
-possible no final form factor
-microsoft doesnt make single player games anymore

the last part is joke, because its a alternative narrative with zero substance

did i miss any highlights?

thuway

I really like the direction Microsoft is going with this unveil. Console gamers are consistently stereotyped as being a mainstream consumer who don't care much for technical fidelity.

The great thing about Scorpio's potential success is how it will signal to the industry an opportunity to dabble in spec driven high performance hardware with the consumer interest to back such ambitious endeavors.

I also have to applaud using Digital Foundry's expertise as a crutch to communicate those efforts.

Wedzi

Banned
I really like the direction Microsoft is going with this unveil. Console gamers are consistently stereotyped as being a mainstream consumer who don't care much for technical fidelity.

The great thing about Scorpio's potential success is how it will signal to the industry an opportunity to dabble in spec driven high performance hardware with the consumer interest to back such ambitious endeavors.

If this all turns out to be true, then it really shows how MS truly believes a lot resolution and digital foundry comparison videos led to them being in the position they are today and they are looking to taking control of the power narrative.

Now if only they would take such a diligent approach to making first party games :(

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Specs only right?
Piece during E3 as a reminder that all games shown will look better for $XXX?

Assuming the DF rumour is legit, my guess is:

1) Tech spec details via DF
2) Console unveil, name, looks, some game info pre-E3 event
3) Price and release date at E3 with some more game specific stuff

Same people following their tweets are likely going to be all over DF when they reveal the full specs. They are hitting the same audience, except they are doing it from a standpoint where people can't pull the "Ohhh suuuure, Microsoft. Of course you would say that." They're apparently confident enough to have shown it to DF and will let DF do the speaking for them.

I think you aren't quite getting what I'm saying.

I think DF doing the reveal is a very smart move. Its a message to the hardcore gamers out there, that hey, here is a trusted 3rd party giving you the real unbiased details on this machine. I'm good with all of that.

I think its a bit of a mistake in terms of marketing that this isn't being built up more though. Frankly, the official Xbox Twitter, Facebook, etc. social media channels should all be putting the message out there this article / video is coming, and DF should be doing the same themselves.

I expect a big splash to happen either way no matter what. I'm just saying a shadow drop of this info with little build up isn't the smartest call imo

Ushay

I also have to applaud using Digital Foundry's expertise as a crutch to communicate those efforts.

The enthusiast crowd of gamer both console and PC bring in a significant chunk of the revenue for these companies (ie people like me that purchase 8+ games a year), in that sense Scoprio makes perfect sense.

Using an established and proven outlet like Digital Foundry is smart move, especially if they have full confidence in what they have built. I cannot wait for Thursday.

rokkerkory

Not saying having Digital Foundry to a deep dive isn't a smart move. If they are that confident in the hardware it's a great move. Just find it odd they wouldn't take the PR opportunity. Digital Foundry isn't really that big of an outlet. It's very un-MS. We're talking about the company here who can't wait to tell you how many bullets fired and teabags bagged in the first month of a new Halo game.

Scorpio is for folks like GAF and for us, we love places like DF.

PR is E3 which is just around the corner.

I think DF doing the reveal is a very smart move. Its a message to the hardcore gamers out there, that hey, here is a trusted 3rd party giving you the real unbiased details on this machine.
How long until people say DF has been money hatted?

Anyway, I think MS pr machine will roll hard after the reveal on Thursday, given that even Xbox Brazil is spilling the beans (amateurishly if I may add).

thuway

If this all turns out to be true, then it really shows how MS truly believes a lot resolution and digital foundry comparison videos led to them being in the position they are today and they are looking to taking control of the power narrative.

Now if only they would take such a diligent approach to making first party games :(
I'm not trying to light any baloons on fire, but Xbox has never been the platform to be some sort of first party exclusive tour de Force (IMO). They've always been blockbuster driven and hedged their bets on proven quantities.

This gen, I think people need to retune their expectations. When you compound rising development costs, abject failures happening everywhere to every developer, and the ever thinning line that defines a "success" - you can't except them to over night a first party stable.

First party's aren't some wholesale consumable ready to be plucked - they are borne of endogenous spirit, a happenstance accident of brilliant people, and just pure dumb luck. It'll take decades, millions, and multiple failures to erect something equivalent to a Nintendo or a Playstation first party army - but that doesn't mean Xbox won't try and nurture something special whilst creating an entirely new flavour of experiences.

I hope Scorpio is the catalyst of those endeavors, but more importantly, I hope it inspires the industry to reassess hardware barometers.

jaypah

I'm not trying to light any baloons on fire, but Xbox has never been the platform to be some sort of first party exclusive tour de Force (IMO). They've always been blockbuster driven and hedged their bets on proven quantities.

This gen, I think people need to retune their expectations. When you compound rising development costs, abject failures happening everywhere to every developer, and the ever thinning line that defines a "success" - you can't except them to over night a first party stable.

First party's aren't some wholesale consumable ready to be plucked - they are borne of endogenous spirit, a happenstance accident of brilliant people, and just pure dumb luck. It'll take decades, millions, and multiple failures to erect something equivalent to a Nintendo or a Playstation first party army - but that doesn't mean Xbox won't try and nurture something special whilst creating an entirely new flavour of experiences.

I hope Scorpio is the catalyst of those endeavors, but more importantly, I hope it inspires the industry to reassess hardware barometers.

Decades from now or when they got into the business? Because if you're saying it'll be (at least)20 years before MS has a nice 1st party then holy shit! Lmao, that's bleak.

MS biggest problem with their 1st party is they haven't fostered any sort of culture of just allowing their studios to be creative. Turn 10 is a Forza factory, 343 is a Halo factory, and Coalition is a Gears factory. Before that Liohead was a Fable factory, Bungie a Halo factory etc. They laser lock on individual franchises and don't move on. Nintendo and Sony are both far riskier in what they develop and produce. Sure Nintendo has had mostly the same stable of franchises for a long time now but they do a lot within those franchises. Just look how different each Mario game is, each Zelda, etc. Sony similarly seem to give their teams far more space and room to work with.

The thing is it seems Nintendo and Sony are both willing to eat some bombs in the chance of really hitting on something good. They realize that not everything will be a large success but giving their studios the room to experiment will eventually get the next Last of Us, Breath of the Wild, etc. MS is far more risk averse, while ironically having by far the deepest pocket books of the bunch.

thuway

Decades from now or when they got into the business? Because if you're saying it'll be (at least)20 years before MS has a nice 1st party then holy shit! Lmao, that's bleak.
What I mean is, first party teams from the ground up take time. They need projects to prove themselves, time to find an identity, and a corporate backing that's willing to roll with the punches.

You can't expect Microsoft to magically announce a 300 plus person studio that churns out billion dollar franchises to happen over the course of an E3. Just look at the up and coming studios in the industry today -

Playground games is an excellent example of a studio about to make the leap to gargantuan AAA challenges. They began with Forza Horizon and nearly a decade of work before they struck financial and commercial gold.

Ready at Dawn is another example of a studio who is trying to put its best step forward into the AAA sphere. If you listen to some of the interviews and Dev diaries following the release of the Order - you can see the growing pain and destructive cataclysm of trying to compete at that level. They began as a team making PSP games that date back 10 plus years ago. And even so, they've almost fallen under the burden of cost thanks to exclusive development. Can you imagine the weight on their shoulders had they been owned by Microsoft Games Studios or Sony Computer entertainment and misfired the way they did?

I'm just pointing out that it's unreasonable to expect something like a Naughty Dog or a Bungie or a DICE to come into existence through the magical power of a hat made of green. There's more to creating a first party studio than going to Costco and waiting around for free samples at the developer aisle.

Wedzi

Banned

What the hell do you think Xbox circa 2001 - 2008 was?! Bungie, Lionhead, Rare, Ensemble, FASA. Second parties ranging from Epic, Bioware, Irrational. No one's asking for a Nintendo like stable of established beloved IPs. Most Xbox fans just want a Fable 4, a new IP here or there. Invest in Playgrounds new game, maybe should have invested in Obsidian's game. Or I don't know maybe pull the trigger on publishing Destiny due to first refusal? You say compounding cost of games has driven MS away from proper game development (which is absolutely true) but besides Naughty Dog Sony isn't like some god like development house. After the Order 1886 you don't think Yoshida was sweating balls over Horizon? This industry is about risks and right now MS wants nothing to do with the risk of game development and that's just sad for the whole industry.

Ushay

I didn't know we need build up to an article. That article IS the build up to e3.
It's certainly going to the fuse that begins the hype.
MS biggest problem with their 1st party is they haven't fostered any sort of culture of just allowing their studios to be creative. Turn 10 is a Forza factory, 343 is a Halo factory, and Coalition is a Gears factory. Before that Liohead was a Fable factory, Bungie a Halo factory etc. They laser lock on individual franchises and don't move on. Nintendo and Sony are both far riskier in what they develop and produce. Sure Nintendo has had mostly the same stable of franchises for a long time now but they do a lot within those franchises. Just look how different each Mario game is, each Zelda, etc. Sony similarly seem to give their teams far more space and room to work with.

The thing is it seems Nintendo and Sony are both willing to eat some bombs in the chance of really hitting on something good. They realize that not everything will be a large success but giving their studios the room to experiment will eventually get the next Last of Us, Breath of the Wild, etc. MS is far more risk averse, while ironically having by far the deepest pocket books of the bunch.

While I agree (with all of you above), I still feel like MS is the last of the big three to really find it's ground in establishing a memorable particular IP as truly recognisable for this new generation of gaming, Scorpio is definitely that chance for them to begin this go around. I know it sound patronising, but the truth is games like QB and Sunset weren't the hits they were intended to be, which if anything demonstrated what the market (us) really want from MS in terms of genres and narrative.

icespide

Banned
It's certainly going to the fuse that begins the hype.

While I agree (with all of you above), I still feel like MS is the last of the big three to really find it's ground in establishing a memorable particular IP as truly recognisable for this new generation of gaming, Scorpio is definitely that chance for them to begin this go around. I know it sound patronising, but the truth is games like QB and Sunset weren't the hits they were intended to be, which if anything demonstrated what the market (us) really want from MS in terms of genres and narrative.
Why is Scorpio that chance? What does Scorpio have to do with establishing new IP?

MrBenchmark

Not really sure if this is the place or another thread but here goes.
So I'm seeing quite a few comments and videos about people wanting the PS4 Pro and the Scorpio to have parity. I remember in the past when it was thought this was being done to the PS4 people lost there friggin minds. So if a game like Destiny 2 is purposely gimped on Scorpio to satisfy the PS4 user base what kind of reaction can we expect since we know that Scorpio is going to be the most powerful unit available this fall? Just curious would they pull that kind of crap and get away with it.

icespide

Banned
Not really sure if this is the place or another thread but here goes.
So I'm seeing quite a few comments and videos about people wanting the PS4 Pro and the Scorpio to have parity. I remember in the past when it was thought this was being done to the PS4 people lost there friggin minds. So if a game like Destiny 2 is purposely gimped on Scorpio to satisfy the PS4 user base what kind of reaction can we expect since we know that Scorpio is going to be the most powerful unit available this fall? Just curious would they pull that kind of crap and get away with it.
I refuse to believe that forced parity actually exists but if people somehow get it in their heads that the Scorpio version was intentionally gimped then people will react exactly like you expect

Yeah I agree. MS did take some steps this generation to try to get some new IP rolling. Sunset Overdrive, QB, Ryse etc were them making the effort. Even Scalebound. Sure that project collapsed but it was still another new IP they were trying.

It just seems MS sort of goes on these spurts of trying new things but still at the end of the day always fall back on the same handful of franchises. They have really struggled to build a successful new IP in quite a long time and that's put them in a very tough spot. They haven't been able to deliver that Last of Us, or Horizon for example so the new attempts they have tried bombing has likely made them very cautious. While Sony has eaten some bombs they've had a couple big success stories to kinda even it out and give them confidence still to try new things.

MS really just needs to try to find that new IP that really works and give them some confidence in trying to change things up. Maybe Sea of Thieves could be that game I suppose.

jaypah

What I mean is, first party teams from the ground up take time. They need projects to prove themselves, time to find an identity, and a corporate backing that's willing to roll with the punches.

You can't expect Microsoft to magically announce a 300 plus person studio that churns out billion dollar franchises to happen over the course of an E3. Just look at the up and coming studios in the industry today -

Playground games is an excellent example of a studio about to make the leap to gargantuan AAA challenges. They began with Forza Horizon and nearly a decade of work before they struck financial and commercial gold.

Ready at Dawn is another example of a studio who is trying to put its best step forward into the AAA sphere. If you listen to some of the interviews and Dev diaries following the release of the Order - you can see the growing pain and destructive cataclysm of trying to compete at that level. They began as a team making PSP games that date back 10 plus years ago. And even so, they've almost fallen under the burden of cost thanks to exclusive development. Can you imagine the weight on their shoulders had they been owned by Microsoft Games Studios or Sony Computer entertainment and misfired the way they did?

I'm just pointing out that it's unreasonable to expect something like a Naughty Dog or a Bungie or a DICE to come into existence through the magical power of a hat made of green. There's more to creating a first party studio than going to Costco and waiting around for free samples at the developer aisle.

That's all well and good, and a nice explanation of what makes for a strong 1st party. I pretty much knew that though. I was literally just questioning the idea that it would take MS 20+ years to have a 1st party as strong as Sony.

Rourkey

Yawn this is a Scorpio possibly announcement thread not a bitch about whether you like MS's first party games thread there's plenty of them already

I think DF doing the reveal is a very smart move. Its a message to the hardcore gamers out there, that hey, here is a trusted 3rd party giving you the real unbiased details on this machine. I'm good with all of that.

I think its a bit of a mistake in terms of marketing that this isn't being built up more though. Frankly, the official Xbox Twitter, Facebook, etc. social media channels should all be putting the message out there this article / video is coming, and DF should be doing the same themselves.

I expect a big splash to happen either way no matter what. I'm just saying a shadow drop of this info with little build up isn't the smartest call imo

Microsoft building it up would have (and there's plenty of evidence of this from the past) people claiming DF sold out and it's some shameless fluff piece, that is less focused on honestly informing gamers, but more on being a PR mouthpiece for Microsoft.

Don't believe me? Go back to the DF Xbox One Architects thread and take a look at how much crap Microsoft and DF got in that thread.

This is exactly how I feel. I mean, this is pure conjecture, but part of me is wondering if the Xbox division is on a pretty tight leash at Microsoft. When you look at Sony from a business standpoint, Playstation is their cash cow. Nintendo is a game company.

I mean, it seems that both Nintendo and Sony rely on the gaming portion of their companies to keep them in the black. It makes sense to invest in that portion of the company. I kinda feel like Xbox is an afterthought for Microsoft and always will be. I just don't feel like there is anyone at Xbox that is gonna convince the Microsoft shareholders that it's a worthy enough venture to invest in any 1st party expansion. Like it said, this is 100% speculation.

It just seems like the other company are making investments in 1st party while Microsoft is deteriorating a bit. I'm still gonna wait till E3 though. And I'll probably purchase a Scorio because of the majority of my friends being on Xbox, and an upgrade from the original Xbox One seems too good to pass up. I just don't see that as enough to convince the masses though. We'll see at E3 I guess.

edit: As to add a little bit to the topic; of which I'm sure has been discussed to death, I do hope the Scorpio has some incentive for 1080 TV owners. I'm quite content with mine at the moment and would rather invest on some sound options.

Lucifon

If the rumour is correct you wouldn't need any build up for a spec discussion article. Drop the article and it'll be across the Internet on all news sites within minutes. Combine it with the announcement of a reveal event date and job's done.

12Dannu123

Probably because isn't realty a gaming company.

Top Bottom